As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[CHAT]urday! In the park! Musta been the fourth of July!

• Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Meh, I remember when I was going to MSU, the discount was about a hundred bucks off of whatever model, laptop or desktop, and that was that.

Uncle Long on
  • Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    That's basically what my discount available is: $50 to $100 off.

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
    edited May 2008
    I remember thinking that it was better than nothing and that I'd pick up a new laptop before I graduated. But then the time came when I should have been ordering and I realized how poor I really was. Granted, I only turned 21 in November of the year I graduated and was an RA and was not allowed to have a second job, so what money I came in with really drained fast between bars and books and...things.

Uncle Long on
  • desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I think I have developed a capitalist obsession with apple; I won't get them out of my mind until I buy one of them. It was the same way with the Touch. I simply didn't feel complete with out owning it.

I thought I was above this!

desperaterobots on
  • Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Fucking tool!

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Apple is a horrible brand that has somehow fooled the world into paying too much money for inferior products. Why won't people fucking realise this?! I am talking in particular about iPods and the iPhone here. I have accepted that for some people macs make decent computers, just not for me.

Lly on
  • Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    I like working on art on a mac.

edited May 2008
    Then you have no soul. Poor thing.

Lly on
    edited May 2008
    Maybe I'm missing a soul, but I've got more Joker photos

• TamTam Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I like working on art on a mac.

Well, Mac OSes are really simple and easy to use and I do find it at least aesthetically more pleasing and organized to work on art on a Mac. So what I will grant Macs is that they have better ergonomics and aesthetics.

I do agree with Lly for the most part. I've lost the picture, but there was one that compared Macs v. PCs as a tricycle v. a Yamaha motorcycle. Something to the effect of "It's easy for anyone to ride a tricycle, and you can easily hurt yourself with the motorcycle, but once you learn to ride the motorcycle, there's really no comparison".

There's the fact that I can pay the same price for better equipment and upgrade it as I want without having to buy an entirely new machine.

Tam on
    edited May 2008
    Every machine I've owned for the past 8 years has been a custom built rig and I totally preach the gospel on building one's own PC.

But as I said, i just really dig doing design and artwork on a mac.

• MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008

BUY! CONSUME!!! BWAHAHAHAHA!!!

MagicToaster on
  • GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited May 2008
    Up until last year I'd built every PC that I'd owned. Then I got lazy and bought a Dell that came with Ubuntu already installed on it.

Grifter on
  • MykonosMykonos Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    well since were hot on the discussion of computers, what's a hot laptop to own for digital arts and stuff - preferably one with an uber size screen.

I guess it should be prudent to note that spending a childhood in the 90's in Macintosh home and being denied all the hot computer games the cool kids were playing has made me a bitter hate mongerer towards that damn little apple.

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
    edited May 2008
    Just been watching some Dylan Moran stand-up. Oh god how i love that man! Why won't he write another "Black Books" series damnit.

Lly on
    edited May 2008
    You know, when I went to see Dylan Moran, I expected a bitter hilarious drunken irishman doing great stand-up. What I didn't expect was the degree to which he just sort of chatted about topics in his show, jumping from topic to topic in a hilariously lazy, stream of consciousness type way. And the amount of time he took talking about Perth was really surprising. He made some hilarious comments about our ridiculously isolated city and it was great.

In conclusion, I want his manbabies.

desperaterobots on
    edited May 2008

BUY! CONSUME!!! BWAHAHAHAHA!!!

Okay then. Dell.

They appear to have good deals. Like, 2.4ghz Core Duo, 4gb ram, 500 mb hdd, 22" monitor... All for a fairly decent price. But it's been about a decade since I cared what megawatts my computron spooled at, and when people start talking about gigwaggs and megablurtz i'm totally out of the loop.

Can anyone recommend a reasonable dell desktop, good for Adibley's Photoship and so on?

I drank too much sangria tonight.

desperaterobots on
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm jumpin' on the build your own PC train, as far as laptops though I'm not much help at all really. I'm in the market to get one sometime in the next year, but I really don't have much clue outside of apple laptops which are pretty self explanatory. Power Books really are great for on the go design though.

Man trying to sell my jeep cherokee is not fun at all right now, it's jumped down $3,000 in value in the last month.

Prospicience on
  • MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Wow, that sucks Prosp!

Though while on the subject of computers. I've had CRTs all my life, some months ago I bought a highend widescreen LCD, but the color fideility is not what I was expecting. I want to switch back to CRTs but I'm gonna shoot for one specifically made for color management and a DVI video feed.

Anyone know a good one?

EDIT:
    Viewing angles suck!

MagicToaster on
    edited May 2008
    Tam wrote: »

I do agree with Lly for the most part. I've lost the picture, but there was one that compared Macs v. PCs as a tricycle v. a Yamaha motorcycle. Something to the effect of "It's easy for anyone to ride a tricycle, and you can easily hurt yourself with the motorcycle, but once you learn to ride the motorcycle, there's really no comparison".

There's the fact that I can pay the same price for better equipment and upgrade it as I want without having to buy an entirely new machine.

Yes, but the tricycle doesn't have a plethora of moving parts that break at every given chance. I've had less problems running programs and less problem with hardware failure on a Mac than a PC. My MacBook is for mobility; note taking, word processing, image editing when I'm at the shop, and web browsing. I never have problems with wireless connectivity, or spyware, or any of that shit. The PC stays at home, and is used for gaming and image editing.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
    edited May 2008
    You know, when I went to see Dylan Moran, I expected a bitter hilarious drunken irishman doing great stand-up. What I didn't expect was the degree to which he just sort of chatted about topics in his show, jumping from topic to topic in a hilariously lazy, stream of consciousness type way. And the amount of time he took talking about Perth was really surprising. He made some hilarious comments about our ridiculously isolated city and it was great.

In conclusion, I want his manbabies.

You lucky bastard. I'd love to see him live. After Bill Bailey he's my favourite comedian.

Lly on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Forbe! wrote: »
    I never have problems with wireless connectivity, or spyware, or any of that shit.

Neither do I. I get what you're saying, but that's just it. I got used to all the little parts, so I can manage them.

So in the end, we come back to the same old conclusion- all a matter of preference.

Tam on
    edited May 2008
    And this is why the argument of MAC VS PC is so asinine; everyones experience with Macs and PCs differ. Different hardware configurations and software can lead to extremely different experiences with each platform. The argument that a PC is like a motorcycle and a MAC is like a tricycle is foolish, for the same reason. It was probably made by someone who already formed a biased opinion on which platform is superior.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
    edited May 2008
    You mean people like different things for different reasons? I'm shocked! Shocked, I say!

edited May 2008
    Forbe! wrote: »
    And this is why the argument of MAC VS PC is so asinine; everyones experience with Macs and PCs differ. Different hardware configurations and software can lead to extremely different experiences with each platform. The argument that a PC is like a motorcycle and a MAC is like a tricycle is foolish, for the same reason. It was probably made by someone who already formed a biased opinion on which platform is superior.

Macs are gay and so are you.

Grifter on
    edited May 2008
    Grifter wins the argument.

Lly on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Wow, that sucks Prosp!

At first I thought this was a typo. Then I realized that I always read his username as "Prop-science".

I think Macs are bad in that they're over-simplified (have you ever read a in-software help article for a Mac program? COMPLETELY USELESS. I think iChat has a grand total of THREE help topics, along the lines of "are you connected to the internet?") and the goddamn "stop" button in Safari ONLY works AFTER the page has entirely loaded, at which point it then turns to a REFRESH button, realizes you clicked that area...AND THEN REFRESHES THE GODDAMN PAGE. AUUGH.

And no "Force Quit" function until OS X!? Assholes.

PC's have their problems too. I mean, I use both, and Macs are better for art-stuff (though the avid Mac-follower is often a stereotypical douche)...but I just end up using Macs more often.

NightDragon on
    edited May 2008
    Firefox is better than Safari :/

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
    edited May 2008
    and Macs are better for art-stuff (though the avid Mac-follower is often a stereotypical douche)...but I just end up using Macs more often.

That's a common fallacy. Why are they better for art stuff? Only because they have art software that's designed for just Macs. What's the industry standard software for design and art? Mostly Adobe and CAD stuff. Do they run on PC's? Yep.

Grifter on
    edited May 2008
    Grifter wrote: »
    and Macs are better for art-stuff (though the avid Mac-follower is often a stereotypical douche)...but I just end up using Macs more often.

That's a common fallacy. Why are they better for art stuff? Only because they have art software that's designed for just Macs. What's the industry standard software for design and art? Mostly Adobe and CAD stuff. Do they run on PC's? Yep.

It's that fallacy that makes me so anti-mac. People who say mac's are better for "creative" people just get on my nerves. There is nothing a mac can do that a pc can't do equally well, or better. Apart from scream "I OWN A MAC" at passer-bys.

Lly on
    edited May 2008
    Yeah, to be honest, I've heard that so many times (and looked into it in the past) that it seemed to be a valid reason. There are arguments based on characteristics I'm uneducated in, so...I guess I can't really argue for or against in that vague sense.

I WILL say, however, that Exposé makes my life a billion times easier, and I seem to be able to multitask a lot easier on a Mac, personally. At first the "layering" of windows without a taskbar to go to seemed like a major pain in the ass, but Exposé gives you a nice visual of the windows you have open, and it's easy to find stuff.

Macs are much less..."customizable" it seems, though. Another aggravation. But, they don't have viruses! Hardly any PC games, though. :( But they have Garageband, which is fun! :)

I actually own an Intel iMac (gorgeous, silent wonder) but I also installed XP on it, through BootCamp. I get the best of both worlds! Muahaha.

NightDragon on
  • ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Wow, that sucks Prosp!

At first I thought this was a typo. Then I realized that I always read his username as "Prop-science".

I think Macs are bad in that they're over-simplified (have you ever read a in-software help article for a Mac program? COMPLETELY USELESS. I think iChat has a grand total of THREE help topics, along the lines of "are you connected to the internet?") and the goddamn "stop" button in Safari ONLY works AFTER the page has entirely loaded, at which point it then turns to a REFRESH button, realizes you clicked that area...AND THEN REFRESHES THE GODDAMN PAGE. AUUGH.

And no "Force Quit" function until OS X!? Assholes.

PC's have their problems too. I mean, I use both, and Macs are better for art-stuff (though the avid Mac-follower is often a stereotypical douche)...but I just end up using Macs more often.

What? Help is rather in-depth and a hell of a lot easier to search (thanks to Spotlight) on most Mac programs. There are over 60 listings in the index for help on iChat from starting a message to tabbed chatting to iChat theatre to Jabber to... you get the picture. Condemning something for being over-simplified seems odd given the power of OS X under the hood.

Safari stops just fine by clicking the X button. Not sure why you weren't able to make that work for you. Are you using Safari 2 or 3?

Apple+Option+Esc = Force quit. If you absolutely need to you can usually apple+space to start Spotlight, launch Activity Monitor by typing in "Activity Monitor" and then selecting the stalled app and clicking Quit Process.

I use both Mac and PC - but my PC (quad core Q6600) is a home built gaming rig. My 2.0GHz Core Duo original Intel iMac is what I do everything else on. I used to be vehemently anti-Macintosh many moons ago. I can see the reasons why folks choose other platforms, but whenever they get to the inherent superiority of PCs versus Macs I tune out. It may be a diff'rent strokes thing, but I've been there and it flat out didn't work for me. I'll be frank, I wouldn't trust my photo collection or my HD video to Windows.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
    edited May 2008
    Lly wrote: »
    Grifter wrote: »

It's that fallacy that makes me so anti-mac. People who say mac's are better for "creative" people just get on my nerves. There is nothing a mac can do that a pc can't do equally well, or better. Apart from scream "I OWN A MAC" at passer-bys.

Based off of my own anecdotal evidence, I prefer doing art'stuffs on a mac because the OS seems far more intuitive for it than a PC. Does this mean the same level of art done on a Mac can't be done on a PC? Not at all, it's just become my own preference to do design work on a Mac when I can.

edited May 2008
    Oh God, what's all this? You all know where this road goes!

(Actually, this is a pretty civil discussion)

Uncle Long on
    edited May 2008
    I don't think it's going to turn into the Hatfield-McCoys in here...

• beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I FOUND A NEW APARTMENT!
    and it is gooooorgeous
    it's like a little 3 level country home inside an apartment building. It's 3 levels, well.. 2 and a half, the top floor is just a really cute loft. all tile and dark colored laminate (fake hardwood)
    the residents that are in there now are clean, very nice professional women, and I can move in as early as next week.
    I AM SO RELIEVED RIGHT NOW!

beavotron on
    edited May 2008
    High-Five!

• ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Woooo grats Beavo! I think this calls for an intermarriage cheers!

Prospicience on
    edited May 2008
    Threepio wrote: »
    What? Help is rather in-depth and a hell of a lot easier to search (thanks to Spotlight) on most Mac programs. There are over 60 listings in the index for help on iChat from starting a message to tabbed chatting to iChat theatre to Jabber to... you get the picture. Condemning something for being over-simplified seems odd given the power of OS X under the hood.

Safari stops just fine by clicking the X button. Not sure why you weren't able to make that work for you. Are you using Safari 2 or 3?

Apple+Option+Esc = Force quit. If you absolutely need to you can usually apple+space to start Spotlight, launch Activity Monitor by typing in "Activity Monitor" and then selecting the stalled app and clicking Quit Process.

I use Safari 3. For really image-heavy pages, or something (even on really fast setups) the X button still poops out when I need it.

For iChat, perhaps I was using an earlier version, or something. I just seem to remember that whenever I was having trouble, I had to check online, because the help topics for iChat (and other programs) were ridiculously insufficient.

Did they have Force Quit in earlier versions? Or just OS X? That would've been nice to know when I was 14. :P

NightDragon on
    edited May 2008
    Based off of my own anecdotal evidence, I prefer doing art'stuffs on a mac because the OS seems far more intuitive for it than a PC. Does this mean the same level of art done on a Mac can't be done on a PC? Not at all, it's just become my own preference to do design work on a Mac when I can.

Wait, you mean people like different things for different reasons? I'm shocked! Shocked, I say!

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
This discussion has been closed.