As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[CHAT]urday! In the park! Musta been the fourth of July!

• MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Why would they allow a computer to upgrade to more RAM than it can actually use?

MagicToaster on
  • LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Grifter wrote: »
    It seems that the Ruskies have been down with hip-hop for a long time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoQb8vb4blA&eurl=http://wallout.com/red_army_hip_hop

Shit that was hilarious!

Lly on
  • ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Why would they allow a computer to upgrade to more RAM than it can actually use?

That's an excellent question. I blame Bill Gates.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

No, it's the OS, not the computer. If you get Windows XP x64, you can use a shitload of RAM: 128gb, 32-bit Vista systems go up to 4gb, and 64-bit Vista systems go up to 16gb.

EDIT: I'm fairly sure of those numbers, check MS.com to be absolute.

Tam on
  • MykonosMykonos Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    saw speed racer last night, not as bad as i thought it would have been, but I hate that fucking kid. He's so freaken ugly and obnoxious and had waaaaaaay too much screen time.

But yeah the movie had nice colors

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    My friend just built a computer that's utilizing EIGHT OH GOD GIGABYTES OF RAM. On a Dual-Quad Core. D:

That thing is going to be fucking speedy.

All for the best though - he's a Visual Effects major...needs to render a crapload on a regular basis.

Speaking of...I really need to upgrade my RAM. I've only got 1GB. I multitask the hell out of this thing, I reeeeally need that extra gig, at least. :(

NightDragon on
  • MaximasXXZMaximasXXZ Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Doesn't Windows max out at 4GB?

MaximasXXZ on
    zombiegirl8ki.gif
    TL_Sigblock.jpg
    PSN: MaximasXXZ XBOX Live: SneakyMcSnipe
  • VeritasVeritas Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Mine used to be speedy and make the interwebs jealous but now its old and rickety and its 1GB ram just can't keep it all together sometimes. I kinda need to just tough this one out though because for the Graphic Design program we're required to get Macbook Pro's so dropping a large amount on this computer now wouldn't be good when I need to get a new one next summer anyhow.

Veritas on
  • GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited May 2008
    MaximasXXZ wrote: »
    Doesn't Windows max out at 4GB?

Only if you have the 32-bit version. If you have the 64-bit version of Vista Ultimate then you can install 128GB of memory.

Grifter on
    edited May 2008
    Who needs all that RAM?! Seriously, when would you ever need 128GBs of RAM?!

MagicToaster on
  • Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    How else are we going to run HAL/MOTHER?

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008

Listen, I don't know about you, but I use like, 5 maybe 6 layers in photoshop.

desperaterobots on
  • Big Luke NastyBig Luke Nasty Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Big Luke Nasty on
    rawr
    edited May 2008

On a network and maybe for heavy simulations, I dunno.

By the way, 64-bit Vista can use that but not all at once. In fact, I think it can only manage about 4gb-8gb well. That was in some article. Again, take this cum grano salis, though I doubt anyone here is going to install more than 4gb.

Tam on
    edited May 2008
    You doubt my ambition to build the worlds most useless computer?

desperaterobots on
    edited May 2008

Probably if you were running RMS. Or if you happened to be an ESX server. I'd kill for a few ESX hosts with that much memory and some dual quad core processors

Grifter on
    edited May 2008
    Are computers getting to a stage where the power to usefulness ratio is... diminishing? I actually don't know what practical difference I'm going to get between a quad and dual core whatsit. Don't programs need to be written to take advantage of extra cores? Is this ... happening? (I feel so stupid asking these questions I am reluctant to press the Post Reply button oh well here goes)

desperaterobots on
    edited May 2008
    MY COMPUTER CAN PROCESS 5000DICKS/SECOND PER SECOND

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
    edited May 2008
    Dual core is like having 2 processors in one and Quad core is like having 4. So 2x and 4x the processing power, respectively. This is why my 2.0ghz Core 2 Duo (dual core) will kick the Pentium III 3.0ghz (single core)'s ass. Cuz mine is more like having 4ghz.

That is a horrible, horrible simplification, but you get the general idea.

Tam on
    edited May 2008
    My processor can beat up your processor.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
    edited May 2008
    Forbe! wrote: »
    My processor can beat up your processor.

Yeah, but I can piss on yours.

Tam on
    edited May 2008
    My processor is made of piss.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
    edited May 2008

That's gorgeous! It's like an angel whale floating quietly around the skys. It looks like it's out of a miyazaki film.

Lly on
    edited May 2008
    My processor is made of piss.

You bought a can of piss instead of a processor.
    From me! Ha!

Also, Spielberg is making a live action Ghost in the Shell movie.

Tam on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

<3<3<3

NightDragon on
    edited May 2008
    Have you any idea how it feels to be a Fembot living in a Manbot's Manputer's world?

desperaterobots on
    edited May 2008
    I have a second interview in an hour with the owner of an advertising agency. I am very excited.
    EXCITED!!!

MagicToaster on
    edited May 2008
    I have a second interview in an hour with the owner of an advertising agency. I am very excited.
    EXCITED!!!

Good luck, mate!

Grifter on
    edited May 2008
    EXCITED!!!

Wow. Comic sans levels of excitement!

Lly on
    edited May 2008
    I just got back, they'll call back tomorrow with an offer. I'll let you guys know how it goes down.

MagicToaster on
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I just got back, they'll call back tomorrow with an offer. I'll let you guys know how it goes down.

Wooo! Good luck again man, that's awesome.

Prospicience on
  • nakirushnakirush Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I got a new job over the weekend. :D I start as a line cook in two hours at a local bar/restaurant. Yay for no more AV technician work!

On a side note, I'm also being considered for a world building position in Vegas.

nakirush on
  • Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    Oh god I am so sore. Why do I always overdo things? I have no sense of moderation, which isn't exactly what you want to hear coming from a moderator!

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
    edited May 2008
    Tam on
    edited May 2008

<3<3<3

inorite?

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
    edited May 2008
    Tam wrote: »

Wow. I'd seen the nut cracking japanese ones, but wow at the vending machine! I love TED.

Lly on
    edited May 2008

Wooo! Good luck again man, that's awesome.

AGH! Man, this sucks. They offered me less than what I'm making now. I tell ya, had it been a totally diffrent industry, where I could get a lot of learning experience, I would have taken it for less money... but it's the same pharmacy, medical thing I'm doing now... except I'll be working more and I wont leave the office at 4:30.

Oh well, next time Gadget. Next time.

MagicToaster on
    edited May 2008
    Sorry to hear that MT. That sucks.

Lly on
    edited May 2008
    The disappointment of the job hunt. I feel you so hard right now.

desperaterobots on
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Aw damn MT sorry to hear that. I'm sure you'll find a better job/pay soon enough though :)

Man, what are the chances of two deep crow threads in one day. I mean yeah deep crows are awesome and both the drawings are great but geeze!

Prospicience on
This discussion has been closed.