As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[CHAT]urday! In the park! Musta been the fourth of July!

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2008
    What are the animes being obsessed over at the moment? I need to make stuff to whore out at animazement when I go. I'll probably make video game stuff because thats what Im into, but i think current anime stuff would probably sell better...

I may ask this on H/A

Iruka on
  • bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited April 2008
    Avatar is pretty popular, despite not being anime.

I dunno, probably best to ask there yeah, or the D&D anime thread. I haven't watched anything in quite a while.

bombardier on
  • GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited April 2008
    Naruto is still quite popular

Grifter on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Grifter wrote: »
    Tam wrote: »
    Well, no, I think if it' a creative effort, it's art. It's just that it's also shitty, stupid, pretentious, stereotype-creating refuse. Art can be shitty.

Ok, so what is the actual message that she's trying to portray with this? It seems more like she's just trying to shock people and destroy her reproductive system all at the same time than anything else. These are not the doings of a sane person.

"This is what people will do for attention."

Tam on
    edited April 2008
    Well, no, I think if it' a creative effort, it's art. It's just that it's also shitty, stupid, pretentious, stereotype-creating refuse. Art can be shitty.

Ok, so what is the actual message that she's trying to portray with this? It seems more like she's just trying to shock people and destroy her reproductive system all at the same time than anything else. These are not the doings of a sane person.

"This is what people will do for attention."

Nice try.

Grifter on
  • Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

"The entire project is an art piece, a creative fiction designed to draw attention to the ambiguity surrounding form and function of a woman's body"

Reading is tech.

Its art. You may not like it, but it is art.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • The Golden WhoreThe Golden Whore Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Speaking of miscarriages and Naruto, where's my avatar, Grifter? I'm looking kind of bland here.

The Golden Whore on
    edited April 2008
    Forbe! wrote: »

"The entire project is an art piece, a creative fiction designed to draw attention to the ambiguity surrounding form and function of a woman's body"

Reading is tech.

I wonder if it's going to smell.

Tam on
    edited April 2008

Reading is tech.

I must have missed that part when I decided the bitch was batshit crazy and should be put in a padded cell under heavy medication.

Grifter on
    edited April 2008
    Grifter on
    edited April 2008

Seriously? I thought that got replaced by Bleach. I think an H/A topic is in order, a list of characters would be nice to work with.

Iruka on
  • The Golden WhoreThe Golden Whore Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Fuck you.

I mean that in the best way, Mr. Pimp.

The Golden Whore on
    edited April 2008
    Iruka wrote: »

Seriously? I thought that got replaced by Bleach. I think an H/A topic is in order, a list of characters would be nice to work with.

Yeah, Bleach is quite popular as well. I've been reading Air Gear recently, which has been quite enjoyable. I don't know how popular it is but the characters in it are pretty interesting.

Grifter on
    edited April 2008
    With shows like bleach and naruto, there are so many characters. I cant just glance at the series and realize that though the annoying blonde kid is the main character, every one loves random dude from episode 400. I can only assume those fans are rabid enough to buy anything and hope for the best.

I should go back to picking up comics, I'm much more likely to follow them.

Iruka on
  • Asamof the HorribleAsamof the Horrible Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is where it's at. Everything about it is over the top, ridiculously awesome

Asamof the Horrible on
    edited April 2008
    Bog made me watch an episode of that! it was like the FLCL replacement, though it doesn't seem as popular yet.

Iruka on
  • TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    WATCH MORE

TheBog on
  • MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Jesus, your avatar is creepy, bog!

MagicToaster on
  • TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    seeforeveravatar.jpgseeforeveravatar.jpgseeforeveravatar.jpg

TheBog on
    edited April 2008
    STOP!!! SPOILER THAT!!!

MagicToaster on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    You will go across the road and get kitty some orange sheeerrrrbeeerrrrttt.

Mustang on
  • Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008

Reading is tech.

Alright, then I'll concede that it's shitty art. It's art of the lowest form by someone who can't manage traditional arts. It's someone that is naturally stupid failing a course on being idiotic.

The ambiguity surrounding form and function of a woman's body? What the fuck is that sentence suppose to even mean? It's nothing but subterfuge to sound like an intellectual artist. Here, let me poop in this basket to explore the ambivalence inherent to, and as a direct cause of, the higher essence of the Male body.

See, I can do that kind of "art" too!

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • multimoogmultimoog Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Alright, then I'll concede that it's shitty art. It's art of the lowest form by someone who can't manage traditional arts.

What's funny is that person would probably say the average issue of Batman is not art.
    seeforeveravatar.jpg
    seeforeveravatar.jpg
    seeforeveravatar.jpg
    seeforeveravatar.jpg
    seeforeveravatar.jpg
    seeforeveravatar.jpg
    seeforeveravatar.jpg
    seeforeveravatar.jpg
    seeforeveravatar.jpg
    seeforeveravatar.jpg
    seeforeveravatar.jpg
    seeforeveravatar.jpg
    seeforeveravatar.jpg
    seeforeveravatar.jpg
    seeforeveravatar.jpg
    seeforeveravatar.jpg

multimoog on
    edited April 2008
    It's crap art, I went a modern show going back ten years that had pig intestines, stomach and other assorted bits in a running cement mixer.....I spent the next 10 years trying to figure out what in gods name was the artist in question trying to express. I came to the conclusion he just didn't have a fucking clue what he was doing and it was merely shock (aka schlock) art.

The fetal art is the same, it's all so she can go sip latte's with her elitist friends and talk about what a hardcore cutting edge artist she is, but when you strip it down, she doesn't have a fucking clue what she's doing.

I do have to side with Mars here, it's very hard to call this art....it's just soo fucking cheap.

Mustang on
    edited April 2008
    http://www.yale.edu/opa/
    Statement by Helaine S. Klasky — Yale University, Spokesperson

New Haven, Conn. — April 17, 2008

Ms. Shvarts is engaged in performance art. Her art project includes visual representations, a press release and other narrative materials. She stated to three senior Yale University officials today, including two deans, that she did not impregnate herself and that she did not induce any miscarriages. The entire project is an art piece, a creative fiction designed to draw attention to the ambiguity surrounding form and function of a woman’s body.

She is an artist and has the right to express herself through performance art.

Had these acts been real, they would have violated basic ethical standards and raised serious mental and physical health concerns.

Yeah, just found this. I've gone from thinking that she's insane to thinking she's just a fucking moron. Performance art is about fives steps below interpretive dance as far as I'm concerned. I think the only thing that might just be lower in stature in the art world is miming.

Grifter on
  • Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    multimoog wrote: »
    Alright, then I'll concede that it's shitty art. It's art of the lowest form by someone who can't manage traditional arts.

What's funny is that person would probably say the average issue of Batman is not art.

Except the latest issue of Batman achieves art through storytelling on the most fundamental levels.

Ms. Shvarts is engaged in performance art. Her art project includes visual representations, a press release and other narrative materials. She stated to three senior Yale University officials today, including two deans, that she did not impregnate herself and that she did not induce any miscarriages. The entire project is an art piece, a creative fiction designed to draw attention to the ambiguity surrounding form and function of a woman’s body.

Had these acts been real, they would have violated basic ethical standards and raised serious mental and physical health concerns.

Yeah, just found this. I've gone from thinking that she's insane to thinking she's just a fucking moron. Performance art is about fives steps below interpretive dance as far as I'm concerned. I think the only thing that might just be lower in stature in the art world is miming.

I believe in performance art. I'm a big fan of when it's done properly. Hell, I'd even go out on a limb and say the The Dark Knight ARG is great performance art. Mother fucking Chung Ling Soo was a performance artist master.

But this, this is just like the title "abstract" art, where it is far too broadly applied in cases of "art" where it shouldn't be. And whether or not this broad considers it "performance art" it comes off as "cheap" and still doesn't negate the point I made above in how terribly idiotic her pseudo-intellectual explanation falls woefully short.

So in short, performance art or no, she's still a terrible artists and a liar now.

edited April 2008
    Man, Mars what you said about Batman made me go back and watch like 4 episodes of the animated series. Just that intro on its own is incredible.

Tam on
    edited April 2008
    I'm about to watch Mask of the Phantasm before bed! (I've never seen it)

edited April 2008
    I'm about to watch Mask of the Phantasm before bed! (I've never seen it)

good stuffs :^:

Tam on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Yeah, my friend just sent me this as well.

NightDragon on
    edited April 2008
    Alright, then I'll concede that it's shitty art. It's art of the lowest form by someone who can't manage traditional arts. It's someone that is naturally stupid failing a course on being idiotic.

The ambiguity surrounding form and function of a woman's body? What the fuck is that sentence suppose to even mean? It's nothing but subterfuge to sound like an intellectual artist. Here, let me poop in this basket to explore the ambivalence inherent to, and as a direct cause of, the higher essence of the Male body.

See, I can do that kind of "art" too!

I'm not defending her piece by any means. It's art, albeit lacking conceptually and having a very...well you said it...ambiguous direction, that stops about 10 lightyears short of the destination she intended.
    Mustang wrote: »
    It's crap art, I went a modern show going back ten years that had pig intestines, stomach and other assorted bits in a running cement mixer.....I spent the next 10 years trying to figure out what in gods name was the artist in question trying to express. I came to the conclusion he just didn't have a fucking clue what he was doing and it was merely shock (aka schlock) art.

The fetal art is the same, it's all so she can go sip latte's with her elitist friends and talk about what a hardcore cutting edge artist she is, but when you strip it down, she doesn't have a fucking clue what she's doing.

I do have to side with Mars here, it's very hard to call this art....it's just soo fucking cheap.

Yeah, fuck those modernists and their crap art.

But yea, there is a lot of shit out there. While the execution of her idea may have been poor, her intent, right now, is being badgered for no fucking reason. How the hell do you know she is some uptight post-post-modern elitist?

How different are you from the stereo type you just placed on her. Sitting in the proverbial AC coffee shop taking a shit on someone else's work based upon a blurb on the interweb.

NEWAYS

This Just In:

Dick artist cuts off his own dick and uses it as a paintbrush; claims it is the next step for male artists, to use their tool as a device for the creation of aesthetic works, the natural extension into the painting world.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
    edited April 2008
    A multi-tool as it were.
    sip

Tam on
    edited April 2008
    Leatherdick Multi-tool

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
    edited April 2008
    But yea, there is a lot of shit out there. While the execution of her idea may have been poor, her intent, right now, is being badgered for no fucking reason. How the hell do you know she is some uptight post-post-modern elitist?

I'm afraid I don't have any hard evidence that she is or is not a post-post-modern elitist, but in my experiences persons who produce such art usually have similar charachter traits.
    How different are you from the stereo type you just placed on her. Sitting in the proverbial AC coffee shop taking a shit on someone else's work based upon a blurb on the interweb.

Well in all fairness, I didn't splatter my unborn fetus onto a canvas and call it art........or did I?

Mustang on
    edited April 2008
    Mornin'.

MagicToaster on
  • FantasyrogueFantasyrogue Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Good afternoon, MT. ;)

Fantasyrogue on
    edited April 2008
    G'morning whores!

Grifter on
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited April 2008
    Performance art is about fives steps below interpretive dance as far as I'm concerned.

More like a million steps below!

DMAC on
  • multimoogmultimoog Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Yeah, fuck those modernists and their crap art.

Speaking of fucking cheap.

I said it in another thread but it bears repeating out here: we should stop defending current-day art hacks by comparing their work to actual, authentic innovators who were at the forefront of a movement (or at least recognized as breaking new ground). This woman didn't even have the guts (Ha!) to do what her artists' statement said she was doing.

edit: Although maybe if the fetuses she made were realistic looking enough, she could get some points for craftmanship.

multimoog on
  • Big Luke NastyBig Luke Nasty Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Iruka wrote: »
    Bog made me watch an episode of that! it was like the FLCL replacement, though it doesn't seem as popular yet.

It was directed and written by the same guy I've heard. Its still too abstract and unknown to sell greatly , I would thing (although i would buy some were it available.)

Big Luke Nasty on
    rawr
This discussion has been closed.