As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[CHAT]urday! In the park! Musta been the fourth of July!

• Options
    r-jasperr-jasper Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    our family won a fighting fish. and i wanted to name it Fernandez. but my little brother wanted to name it fin. My little brother got his way and 2 weeks later the fish committed suicide buy jumping out of its bowl :P

r-jasper on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Flay wrote: »
    Tam wrote: »
    Guys, American Gods by Neil Gaiman is beyond awesome.

Go read Neverwhere... It's even better (IMO, at least). :D

Yeah, I'm going to pick it up as soon as my exams are over. I'm hearing great things about the Sandman comics too.

Tam on
  • Options
    Asamof the HorribleAsamof the Horrible Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    r-jasper wrote: »
    our family won a fighting fish. and i wanted to name it Fernandez. but my little brother wanted to name it fin. My little brother got his way and 2 weeks later the fish committed suicide buy jumping out of its bowl :P

We had a fighting fish once too, who was nameless. He somehow managed to survived for like, 2-3 years...despite my brother accidently breaking a pen over of his fishing bowl (filling it with ink), and my dad trying to skew him with a fork while drunk

yeah, my home is not safe for animals.

Asamof the Horrible on
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Going to Cairns tomorrow = cool. Having to get up before 5 in the morning to catch the plane = not cool.

Oh well... See you guys in a week.

Flay wrote: »
    Guys, American Gods by Neil Gaiman is beyond awesome.

Go read Neverwhere... It's even better (IMO, at least). :D

Yeah, I'm going to pick it up as soon as my exams are over. I'm hearing great things about the Sandman comics too.

Even though I keep meaning to, I've never gotten around to reading them. I'm pretty sure my local library has the entire series, I should check them out some time.

Flay on
  • Options
    The LittleMan In The BoatThe LittleMan In The Boat Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Someone posted some pictures on my guild website and made this comment towards a crit I made and I wanted to cry.
    Kamenari wrote:
    It's not art! It's cartooning!

The LittleMan In The Boat on
    yerf.jpg
    I don't suffer from Insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    ...what.

I take it you offered comments regarding its artistic elements or design prompting him to respond with "it's cartooning, that doesn't apply"?

People might recall that someone stole my debit card details a while back- I've finally leapt through all the required hoops so hopefully my application will be processed successfully. I'm down a little under £200, and I sure as hell hope that I can get this over with soon.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    i just had the best argument with a guy over why he shouldn't be using comic sans font on his portfolio
    a little background info, he's head of production at a local animation studio and is starting up his own studio:
    [Alexandria] says:
    is the font that you're using on your site comic sans?

[Joel]says:
    yes, why?

[Alexandria] says:
    some people might find the fact that you're using comic sans unprofessional. it's like the hugest faux pas in the online art world to use that font
    it's akin to using lens flare.

[Joel] says:
    Hmm... I've had lots of compliments on the site. I needed something that was hand drawn looking but still legible.

[Alexandria] says:
    there are tons of good custom fonts

[Alexandria] says:
    there's like websites dedicated to making fun of comic sans

[Alexandria] says:
    it's the most overused microsoft font in the industry, and was REALLY overused a few years back, then sort of just became the laughing stock of typography and web design

[Alexandria] says:
    i'm just saying it'd probably be in your best interest to change that

[Joel] says:
    You're a real font-geek aren't ya?

[Alexandria] says:
    http://bancomicsans.com/

[Alexandria] says:
    with good reason

[Joel] says:
    ... you think someone is going to judge my art based on my font? If so, they can bite me. LOL

[Alexandria] says:
    no but they are going to judge your professionalism based on your portfolio

[Alexandria] says:
    it's all about presentation

[Alexandria] says:
    this site has good freeware comic lettering fonts: http://www.blambot.com/

[Joel] says:
    exactly based on my portfolio ie: drawing.

[Alexandria] says:
    you really think people only look at the art when looking at a portfolio?

[Alexandria] says:
    don't they offer entire courses on portfolio presentation?

[Joel]says:
    I'm assuming that's sarcasm... because when I get a portfolio in the mail, I don't care WHAT font the cover letter, or font is, same with a website. I go straight to the ART

[Joel] says:
    As long as it's legible/easy to read.

[Alexandria] says:
    no i'm being completely serious... you really think if someone just tossed a bunch of jpgs on a website with a bright pink background they'd stand the same chance as someone who actually took the time to provide a decent layout?

[Alexandria] says:
    are you really arguing that portfolio presentation is unimportant? i find that really surprising as everyone else i've ever talked to in this industry stresses it's importance.

[Joel] says:
    I'm talking about font, not layout.

[Alexandria] says:
    font is part of layout

[Alexandria] says:
    or is part of the whole package presentation, look i didn't mean to get you up in arms, i'm just kind of trying to offer up some constructive criticism

[Joel] says:
    You're not seeing my point. If someone has a simple, straight forward site, great artwork, and they have used "god forbid" comic sans MS" I'm not going to dismiss their artwork.

[Alexandria] says:
    when i see comic sans, it strikes me as unprofessional and sticks out like a sore thumb, i also know i'm not the only one who thinks that. i'm not saying people will dismiss your work, i'm saying people will notice

[Joel] says:
    That's fine, I appreciate it, but I don't think my font choice is going to landsllide my entire website.

[Alexandria] says:
    that's not at all what i was saying

[Alexandria] says:
    it's not going to landslide it by any means, i'm just saying that people will notice it and given that it has a negative stigma, you're setting people up to think negatively about your web design even before they see the actual content. your work.

[Joel] says:
    Well thanks for the heads up. I certainly hadn't heard it before. I usually get compliments on my site.

[Alexandria] says:
    well sorry for offering up constructive criticism, i'm not one to give ass pats and i was under the impression that you were not one to accept them

[Alexandria] says:
    but you seem pretty dismissive with the whole "i usually get compliments" thing, so i guess i was wrong?

[Joel] says:
    I'm not expecting an apology, nor was I looking for an ass pat.

[Joel] says:
    Constructive crits is what I expect when I share this kind of thing with another artist.

[Joel] says:
    What I meant by usually getting compliments was that no one has ever complained about the font before, (not that I thought it would never happen or anything like that) I have actually received compliments on the font/presentation of my website.

[Alexandria] says:
    yeah but from who?

[Alexandria] says:
    and does it matter? i just pointed out the second link that comes up on google when one types "comic sans" as being a comic sans trashing website. and there are literally hundreds of them

[Alexandria] says:
    it's like an internet joke, it's seriously like popping a lens flare on your photoshopped image

[Joel] says:
    I guess what I'm saying is that I'm not worried about internet jokes.

[Alexandria] says:
    lol you've totally not taken anything i've said today the right way

[Alexandria] says:
    i'm off, see ya

beavotron on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I can't do those sorts of conversations. I turn into a ranting juggernaut of rage and bloodlust- I can't form a single logical point.

It's worst when someone is trying to argue against evolution and for intelligent design with the same tired arguments. It happened when I saw the trailer for Ben Stein's new shitburger. I had to leave the room because I was about to send my fist through my computer screen.

Tam on
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    He may not judge other people on their layout and font, but certainly other people do.

Stop talking to this guy, hes a moron.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Yeah, and is his art really that great that people will be compelled to overlook the font faux pas?

Tam on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Yeah, and is his art really that great that people will be compelled to overlook the font faux pas?

that's exactly the point i was trying to get across to him.
    the first thing you see on his site is just a button that says "continue" in comic sans
    i don't think he understands the magnitude of how bad comic sans font is, many potential clients would see that, and leave.
    and really, the fact that he passes it off as just an internet joke is ridiculous. yes so it became an internet joke, but using comic sans will show to potential employers that you are out of touch with the online art community, and with the way things are going, that is not a good thing.

beavotron on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited April 2008
    It's not an internet joke. It's a fucking INDUSTRY joke.

What a goddamn douchebag, please slap this fucker for me.

bombardier on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    see i'm glad this happened, because he's made his way pretty far up in the industry as far as work in halifax goes, and he still has a terribly amateurish attitude towards taking criticism
    he has a fancy bfa and another piece of paper for animation.
    the internet taught me how to draw and i'm tough as nails and take every piece of criticism i get into consideration. i never make excuses and would never have such a piss poor attitude

this conversation was a prime example of why one does not need to have a fancy degree if one is really willing to push to succeed in this field, and just because you have a degree, doesn't make you perfect.
    so basically, this conversation made me feel better about my future.

disclaimer: i'm not trashing on art school, if a person has the drive to get somewhere and the credentials to back them up, they're probably going to reach the top of the food chain much faster than i am.

beavotron on
  • Options
    FantasyrogueFantasyrogue Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    My fiance laughed heartily at the use of comic sans MS and he's not even in the art business, he's in the science business. Apparantly, scientist using that font on presentations is just as hilarious. Shows how bad it really is.

Fantasyrogue on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    beavotron wrote: »

disclaimer: i'm not trashing on art school, if a person has the drive to get somewhere and the credentials to back them up, they're probably going to reach the top of the food chain much faster than i am.

I've had a similar outlook on writing degrees for a long, long time. It's amazing how many people can work through college and still produce creative works with blatant issues, and, most notably, still lack the skin necessary to take a critique.

Another disclaimer: I know plenty of people with a degree who can write damn well. It's just that a degree isn't the guarantee some might think it to be.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Edcrab wrote: »
    beavotron wrote: »

I've had a similar outlook on writing degrees for a long, long time. It's amazing how many people can work through college and still produce creative works with blatant issues, and, most notably, still lack the skin necessary to take a critique.

Another disclaimer: I know plenty of people with a degree who can write damn well. It's just that a degree isn't the guarantee some might think it to be.

i'm beginning to think it's becoming less and less of a guarantee as more and more people are being pushed through schools. seriously after my brief stint at centre for arts and tech, i realized that there are thousands of small animation and design schools out there looking to make money, so they will push these people through school who are absolutely terrible, further saturating the market with shitty designers.

beavotron on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I honestly have to say that I don't think Comic Sans is a bad looking typeface. However, the fact that it is so over used and all the negative connotations attached to it would certainly make me think twice about using it. But I wouldn't go as far as saying it should never be used.

It has its place, that place however is not as the primary font on a presentation. Not because it's ugly, but rather because there are other fonts that will do a better job of giving off a better sense of style and professionalism.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited April 2008
    It's not inherently terrible in and of itself, just like lens flares. It's that it's been overused so much and there are so many better fonts out there that I can't think of a single situation where I would choose Comic Sans over one of the alternatives.

DMAC on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    The only reason I would go to art school is for the environment. I mean, the cost-benefit really doesn't look good to me. Too much risk of falling flat on your face, too. I think that's reason number two I didn't go down that path.

Tam on
  • Options
    VeritasVeritas Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The environment in most art and design programs are good, but only if you have great instructors. Having other people around that are like-minded in regards to design and art is good but you get a mixed bag on quality and its certainly helps if you have instructors who know their shit and can push your work.

As for Comic Sans what he needs to recognize is that even if he is complimented by some people generally those people have also used comic sans and don't get it either. Even clients may not even always recognize it if they are the management types. However, any industry professional any serious artist or designer will take note of it and when their is someone else with a similar quality of work they will likely choose the person with the best designed and presented work.

Veritas on
  • Options
    CyberMonkeytron3000CyberMonkeytron3000 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    beavotron wrote:
    A whole lotta stuff

I'm conflicted with your story..

On one side i'm horrified that a man of that position would not care about fontage when it came to his own portfolio, so I agree with you that he is a massive douche.

On the other however, my name is Joel as well, so the whole thing was like we were having an actual conversation- which I liked.
    Even though I sound like a massive douche

CyberMonkeytron3000 on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Art school is what you make of it.

Some kids spend little to no time in the studio getting shit done. They don't actively get involved in the community, the clubs, societies, etc. that are connected to the school.

This one girl in the metals program was complaining about how she doesn't know how to do anything because no one taught her. However, she never took the initiative to learn it.

Questions, questions, questions. Always ask questions.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    aww i'm sorry cyber, but if you pm me your msn name, we can chat about all sorts of crazy things, just like this other joel and me!

beavotron on
  • Options
    multimoogmultimoog Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    [I had a goldfish that survived about 2 weeks before dying, I don't even remember what it's name was and I don't really care.

When I was in the second grade, I went to my Nana's on Mother's Day and she bought me a goldfish. Then when we got home, my parents got in a huuuuge fight, and my mom drove away, never to return. shortly after, the divorce was final, and I didn't see her again for almost ten years.

The day after I got the goldfish, it died.

multimoog on
  • Options
    The Golden WhoreThe Golden Whore Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    My brother always says that I just let my cats do all the drawing for me, and that I'm a terrible artist. So, to prove him wrong, I made this.

mycomic.jpg

That bad boy took me 4 hours, and 16 revisions to make. Sweet, huh?

EDIT: Best TOTP ever, am I right?

The Golden Whore on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Ever, I'm gonna print that shit and stick it on my wall.

Mustang on
  • Options
    The Golden WhoreThe Golden Whore Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    You have to buy a print on my deviantart page first. I can't just have people taking credit for that beast.

The Golden Whore on
  • Options
    NamNam Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    You have to buy a print on my deviantart page first. I can't just have people taking credit for that beast.

You clearly referenced that explosion. I demand you mention that in the description next time.

Nam on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The only reason I would go to art school is for the environment. I mean, the cost-benefit really doesn't look good to me. Too much risk of falling flat on your face, too. I think that's reason number two I didn't go down that path.

Every now and then I kind of think "oh my god what the fuck am I doing $60,000 in debt at the end of it all oh my god"...but then I remember that there are people that are chugging along with $40,000 loans *each year*, and it makes me feel a bit better in that I won't be the only one dealing with mass amounts of debt when I get out of college. Misery loves company, m i rite!?

Also, there are times when I wonder "why the fuck am I spending this money when I could go to an atelier and be completely amazing in a few years"...but then, I couldn't really take out loans to cover living expenses of tuition, and it's a rather unconventional (currently, at least) path to take as it doesn't offer a degree, and I'm not sure if I could handle how ridiculous some of the curriculums are. SO much working in a day/week!

However, I do feel that the people I'm meeting and the opportunities available to me here are worth it in the end, I suppose. Big companies visit on a relatively regular basis, and offer portfolio reviews, take on interns, and occasionally even hire students outright after an impromptu interview session. There are a fair number of contests that can put your work out there, and there are actually a good chunk of students who are really good at what they do. It's really nice to have that kind of atmosphere.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    2 locked threads already today... looks like it's going to be one of those days

Prospicience on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2008
    ...but then I remember that there are people that are chugging along with $40,000 loans *each year*

I'm one of those.

It sucks but if you take all this school has to offer, its worth the price.

Iruka on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Girls are insane. That's all I'm saying. INSANE!!!

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited April 2008
    What happened this time?

Grifter on
  • Options
    FantasyrogueFantasyrogue Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Alright, my copy of Trials and Tribulations has arrived, now people can stop telling me that the DS plays import games already.

Fantasyrogue on
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Grifter wrote: »
    What happened this time?

She stole his SOUL off of his desk.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    multimoogmultimoog Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Holy shit. I just got one of these last night that plays the Transformers theme song. In my head!

multimoog on
  • Options
    LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    multimoog wrote: »
    Holy shit. I just got one of these last night that plays the Transformers theme song. In my head!

ooooooooh. me wants!

Lly on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Guys, I'm in some need of moral support here. My GF stormed out sunday morning after an argument, haven't talked to her since. I really want to call her. But I know that if I call, it's only gonna send a message that she can do this when ever she feels upset.

I don't know if this is the right thing to do, or am I being stuborn?

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Topically, its never good to ignore your significant other. All you're doing is making it seem as though you don't want to talk about it.

If you call her, and tell her that you want to talk about it, and that you didn't appreciate her behavior, you wont be sending her the message that her behavior is okay.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    VeritasVeritas Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Yeah regardless of what your afraid you might convey by calling her its better to be communicating otherwise the problem gets worse without anyone doing anything except brooding on it.

Veritas on
This discussion has been closed.