Options

Video Game Sales Thread: time to be locked.

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    slash000 wrote: »
    :| No, it won't. They want to port some of the engines tools to the Wii but that doesn't mean the actual engine will be running on it.

that's why I said "tool-set" would work for the Wii; because the "White Engine" isn't so much an engine any more as it is a uniform way of making 3D games. That doesn't mean that the exact same sort of thing will run the same on all of them. It just means that the tools they have available for making games on each platform are similar.

Still, it's not going to be anything close to the PS3/360 version. And even then, they said they hoped to get some of it running on the Wii at some point, it may not even happen.

Full Media Create 7/4-13/4:
    01./00. [WII] Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo) - 593,576 / NEW
    02./01. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G (Capcom) - 221,781 / 1,590,000
    03./02. [PS2] Musou Orochi: The Evil King Returns (Koei) - 55,506 / 283,000
    04./07. [WII] Wii Fit (Nintendo) - 31,325 / 1,865,000
    05./06. [NDS] Pokémon Ranger: Batonnage (Pokémon) - 30,159 / 436,000
    06./08. [NDS] Tottado! Yowiko's Deserted Island Life (Bandai-Namco) - 26,109 / 65,000
    07./04. [PS2] Pro Baseball Spirits 5 (Konami) - 21,510 / 102,000
    08./03. [PSP] Star Ocean 2: Second Evolution (Square-Enix) - 17,591 / 108,000
    09./10. [WII] Deca Sporta (Hudson) - 17,171 / 133,000
    10./09. [WII] Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Nintendo) - 14,297 / 1,563,000

11./05. [PS3] Pro Baseball Spirits 5 (Konami)
    12./11. [NDS] SimCity DS 2: From the Past to the Future (EA)
    13./23. [NDS] DS Beautiful Letter Training (Nintendo)
    14./13. [WII] Wii Sports (Nintendo)
    15./16. [WII] Wii Play (Nintendo)
    16./15. [NDS] Mario Kart DS (Nintendo)
    17./12. [NDS] Crayon Shin-chan: Arashi wo Yobu Cinema Land (Banpresto)
    18./00. [NDS] Oshiri Kajiri Mushi's Rhythm Lesson DS (Sega)
    19./17. [NDS] Mario Party DS (Nintendo)
    20./21. [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo)
    21./14. [NDS] Mobile Suit Gundam 00 (Bandai-Namco)
    22./24. [NDS] Animal Crossing Wild World (Nintendo)
    23./34. [NDS] Kanji Brain Test 2.5M (IE Institute)
    24./19. [NDS] Taiko Drum Master DS (Bandai-Namco)
    25./20. [NDS] Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games (Nintendo)
    26./26. [PS3] Armored Core for Answer (From Software)
    27./22. [NDS] Harvest Moon: Shining Sun and Friends (Marvelous Entertainment)
    28./18. [NDS] Case Closed! The Missing Professor and the Puzzling Tower (Bandai-Namco)
    29./00. [360] Turok (Touchstone)
    30./28. [PS2] Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion: Lost Colors (Bandai-Namco)
    31./27. [PSP] Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion: Lost Colors (Bandai-Namco)
    32./30. [PSP] Echochrome (Sony)
    33./29. [PS3] Yakuza 3: Kenzan! (Sega)
    34./35. [WII] Mario Party 8 (Nintendo)
    35./25. [NDS] Time Hollow: Seeking the Lost Past (Konami)
    36./32. [NDS] Doraemon: Nobita and the Green Giant DS (Sega)
    37./31. [PS2] Gundam Musou Special (Bandai-Namco)
    38./33. [NDS] Shugo Chara! Three Eggs and the Joker in Love (Konami)
    39./00. [NDS] More English Training (Nintendo)
    40./00. [PS2] Battle of Sunrise (Sunrise Interactive)
    41./41. [NDS] Kanji Test 2 (Rocket Co.)
    42./38. [PSP] Musou Orochi (Koei)
    43./50. [PS2] Monster Hunter 2: Dos (Capcom)
    44./37. [WII] Everyone's General Knowledge Training TV (Nintendo)
    45./46. [NDS] Pokémon Diamond (Pokémon)
    46./00. [PS2] Yakuza 2 (Sega)
    47./45. [NDS] My Housekeeping Diary (Nintendo)
    48./48. [NDS] More Brain Age (Nintendo)
    49./36. [NDS] Keroro Gunsou 3: Adventure in the Sky! (Bandai-Namco)
    50./47. [WII] The House of the Dead 2 & 3 Return (Sega)

NDS - 25
    WII - 9
    PS2 - 7
    PSP - 5
    PS3 - 3
    360 - 1

s_20080407.png

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    :| No, it won't. They want to port some of the engines tools to the Wii but that doesn't mean the actual engine will be running on it.

that's why I said "tool-set" would work for the Wii; because the "White Engine" isn't so much an engine any more as it is a uniform way of making 3D games. That doesn't mean that the exact same sort of thing will run the same on all of them. It just means that the tools they have available for making games on each platform are similar.

Still, it's not going to be anything close to the PS3/360 version. And even then, they said they hoped to get some of it running on the Wii at some point, it may not even happen.

That's fine, but that's not what I said.

I don't disagree; anyone would be a fool to think that some engine produced from a common set of tools designed for the PS3/360 would be anything alike an engine produced from the same tools for the Wii. It's the tools that are common, not the products of the tools.

Do you honestly think that I would suggest that a game generated from the Crystal Tools for the Wii would be "anything close" to something produced from it for the 360/PS3? You know me better than that.

slash000 on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Once again it's morning in America. The Regan years are truely upon us once again, with Nintendomination in full swing.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    toxk_02toxk_02 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Re: M/C -

For a big launch release like MKWii the Wii hardware is kinda low. Lower than I would have expected anyway. Poor PS3, under 10k.

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    toxk_02 wrote: »

For a big launch release like MKWii the Wii hardware is kinda low. Lower than I would have expected anyway. Poor PS3, under 10k.
    It outsold the rest of the top 10 combined. What more do you want?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    toxk_02toxk_02 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    toxk_02 wrote: »

It outsold the rest of the top 10 combined. What more do you want?
    Well it's all relative. For example, it only had a 2k bump over last week. That's literally no change. I'm not saying it's bad, I just imagined there would have been some kind of up-tick in sales to go with the launch of a 600k+ game.

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Wasn't there a wii hardware bump when WiiFit came out?

slash000 on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The Wii passing the 360 in the US this year is no longer an if, but a when. I'm thinking August.

The next step after that is outselling the so-called NEXT GEN worldwide.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    paco_pepepaco_pepe Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So nintendo is a marine mammal.
    It all makes sense now.

paco_pepe on
    Paco+Pepper.png
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Anyway, the only thing that kind of surprised me was God of War: CoO outselling FFVII: Crisis Core. God of War's more popular than FFVII? o_O

Well, GoW had almost the whole month to wrack up sales whereas FF7:CC was released towards the end of the month. That probably had something to do with the sales discrepany.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    And FFVII is old while God of War II was released relatively recently.

Couscous on
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I also a LOT more ads for God of War than I did for Crisis Core.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    They seemed pretty even from what I saw.

slash000 on
  • Options
    BrueBrue Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I would imagine that there will be a hardware bump for gta 4 as its pretty much the last expected AAA title to hit for some time. Mario Kart Wii is big but is nowhere as big as smash brothers and you have to figure that the huge hardware sales were due in part to people buying a wii for both games. I would imagine wii fit does well, although I am definitely intrigued by the big guns at Nintendo holding out for the holidays to let us know the upcoming hits. The problem they face is every major GC title has been carried over, I would imagine that its going to be a zelda game they show at E3 and consider my erection still intact.

The wii is out of control popular, but again we still havent seen any 3rd party titles really take hold... which is really weird considering they are destroying the competition when it comes to hardware sales (this is for the wii the ds is an uncontrollable monster).

Brue on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008

That's fine, but that's not what I said.

I don't disagree; anyone would be a fool to think that some engine produced from a common set of tools designed for the PS3/360 would be anything alike an engine produced from the same tools for the Wii. It's the tools that are common, not the products of the tools.

Do you honestly think that I would suggest that a game generated from the Crystal Tools for the Wii would be "anything close" to something produced from it for the 360/PS3? You know me better than that.

Fair enough. There was a lot of mis-information running around when that first came out, so I figured you may've been one of the people that bought into it. Should've figured that you didn't.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The problem they face is every major GC title has been carried over, I would imagine that its going to be a zelda game they show at E3 and consider my erection still intact.
    Animal Crossing, Star Fox, Pikmin, and Mario Golf as far as GC games go. Donkey Kong, Kirby, Kid Icarus, F-Zero, and Pilotwings are some IP that they could use.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Brue wrote: »
    I would imagine that there will be a hardware bump for gta 4 as its pretty much the last expected AAA title to hit for some time. Mario Kart Wii is big but is nowhere as big as smash brothers and you have to figure that the huge hardware sales were due in part to people buying a wii for both games. I would imagine wii fit does well, although I am definitely intrigued by the big guns at Nintendo holding out for the holidays to let us know the upcoming hits. The problem they face is every major GC title has been carried over, I would imagine that its going to be a zelda game they show at E3 and consider my erection still intact.

The wii is out of control popular, but again we still havent seen any 3rd party titles really take hold... which is really weird considering they are destroying the competition when it comes to hardware sales (this is for the wii the ds is an uncontrollable monster).

Good point about Mario Kart Wii -- I imagine a lot of people bought Wiis for Brawl, and were also doing so in anticipation of Mario Kart. It could explain why Wii hardware didn't jump a huge deal in Japan; all these people just bought Wiis in anticipation of Brawl and mario kart, and thus a large bump before brawl, but not before Mario Kart. Plausible, I suppose.

As far as this fall, we have no idea what Nintendo will announce at E3. There's a lot of speculation about a new Kid Icarus, since Pitt has shown up in Brawl. I think they'll surprise us with something completely new as well as something out of an existing franchise. Part of me hopes for a new StarFox.

As far as third parties, there have been a few 1M+ sellers on the system, particularly from Sega and Capcom, EA, and Ubi. And let's not forget the unstoppable Guitar Hero 3. But besides that, the fortunate thing about the Wii is that development and publishing costs aren't nearly as high as they are for the PS3/360; this necessitates fewer sales to break even and profit. As a result, many companies such as Atlus, SNK, Konami, and other publishers are profiting more readily or more easily than they are on the PS3/360; and as such are attaining great success on the system. Hell Hudson recently stated that the VC has been a big success for them by itself.

There's an interesting article about sales of last year here.

Fair enough. There was a lot of mis-information running around when that first came out, so I figured you may've been one of the people that bought into it. Should've figured that you didn't.

It's fine. At least my statement, which wasn't crystal clear, is clear now, to anyone else who is interested. Not everyone knows about the Crystal Tools much at all.

slash000 on
  • Options
    Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited April 2008
    I find that Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo even comment on monthly sales is pretty trashy.

I mean, yeah, toot your own horn once in a while, but not every month of the year. The bragging/excuses make me think less of them.

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    MashalotMashalot Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    titmouse wrote: »
    The problem they face is every major GC title has been carried over, I would imagine that its going to be a zelda game they show at E3 and consider my erection still intact.
    Animal Crossing, Star Fox, Pikmin, and Mario Golf as far as GC games go. Donkey Kong, Kirby, Kid Icarus, F-Zero, and Pilotwings are some IP that they could use.
    I think Animal Crossing is practically a given for this year, Japan. Golf, I dunno, it'd hit so close to baseball. Didn't Miyamoto deny being into an F-Zero happening anytime soon? I could see starfox.

I feel like Zelda would be too soon but they could be trying to ride a hype wave TP started then Phantom Hourglass and Brawl built up.

DS-wise we're kind due for a NSMB2 and 2/2.5D Metroid.

Mashalot on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Spoit wrote: »
    Quite a bit, the PS2 is at like 120M, right?

Yeah.

What's the Atari 2600 & NES numbers at?

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    JCRooksJCRooks Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Dareth Ram wrote: »
    I find that Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo even comment on monthly sales is pretty trashy.

I mean, yeah, toot your own horn once in a while, but not every month of the year. The bragging/excuses make me think less of them.

I hope you realize those comments are not meant for folks like us. It's for investors and other folk that don't follow the industry that closely. For example, there are many people that invest in Microsoft or Sony for other reasons (their software, hardware revenues, etc.), and this gives them the opportunity to comment on how the games side of the company is doing. Naturally they are going to spin the news however positively they can ... that's the whole point of having a marketing team. Also, all it takes for one company to comment and it makes it damn difficult to not comment on it yourself.

Anyway, once again, these numbers aren't that surprising. Of course the Wii numbers are enormous, but expected thanks to huge demand for Brawl. (That doesn't make it any less impressive though!) The 360/PS3 numbers are essentially even, which I expected. No huge platform differences this month (big exclusive games or price drops). This will probably change next month though.

I think the thing to worry about if you're a Sony fanboy is the continued weakness of PS3 game sales. Yes, it's "not fair" because the 360 still has a huge lead in install base, but I don't think fairness matters all that much to developers (not the ones I've spoken to, at least). Even though the hardware has caught up, seeing Army of Two sell almost 3:1 has to be concerning. It was much closer with DMC4 last month but now it looks like perhaps that's because DMC is typically known as a Playstation title, or perhaps Army of Two proving that multiplayer and/or FPS games just do much better on the 360. All eyes are going to be on the sales ratio for GTA IV later this month.

JCRooks on
    Xbox LIVE, Steam, Twitter, etc. ...
    Gamertag: Rooks
    - Don't add me, I'm at/near the friend limit :)

Steam: JC_Rooks

Twitter: http://twitter.com/JiunweiC

I work on this: http://www.xbox.com
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The sales ratio for GTA4 is gonna be a big deal. It's as mainstream as a game can get really. It's huge. It's popular. There's alot of people who're gonna pick this game up.

And it's not a FPS (where 360 domination is pretty much expected this point).
    And it's traditionally a Sony title.

If the 360 pulls off a really large lead in sales, it's gonna look really bad for the PS3 and it's ability to move software.

shryke on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Spoit wrote: »
    Quite a bit, the PS2 is at like 120M, right?

Yeah.

What's the Atari 2600 & NES numbers at?

Wikipedia says the Atari sold 40 million, and the NES 61.9 million.

So the PS2 is the current title-holder by far.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Does anyone have any numbers of how MKWii sold in Europe?

But is any of those considered big? There's always the possibility of them announcing something completely new.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Peewi wrote: »

But is any of those considered big? There's always the possibility of them announcing something completely new.

Animal Crossing, Star Fox and Mario *instert sport here* are pretty big, sales-wise.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I could see mario golf wii being fucking huge, myself.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Animal Crossing, Star Fox and Mario *instert sport here* are pretty big, sales-wise.

I personally felt that getting their big guns out early was a strong tactic at first, thinking that would leave room for third parties to come in and do... I don't know... SOMETHING with the system. Since that didn't happen Nintendo's going to have to bring out their second and third-tier franchises. New Pikmin, F-Zero, Wave Race, 1080... etc.

Hell if anything, and I mean anything, manages to inspire Nintendo to bring out a new Kid Icarus game I will sacrifice a goat to them or roll a rock up a hill for eternity. Something appropriately ancient Greek.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Hell if anything, and I mean anything, manages to inspire Nintendo to bring out a new Kid Icarus game I will sacrifice a goat to them or roll a rock up a hill for eternity. Something appropriately ancient Greek.

Rumor is that's what Factor 5 is working on.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Star Fox is big? I had no idea.

Peewi on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Taramoor wrote: »

I would sacrifice several goats for a new Kid Icarus.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Mashalot wrote: »
    I think Animal Crossing is practically a given for this year, Japan. Golf, I dunno, it'd hit so close to baseball. Didn't Miyamoto deny being into an F-Zero happening anytime soon? I could see starfox.

I feel like Zelda would be too soon but they could be trying to ride a hype wave TP started then Phantom Hourglass and Brawl built up.

DS-wise we're kind due for a NSMB2 and 2/2.5D Metroid.

Let's just hope they don't make another 3D Metroid game (FPS) for the DS. I loved Hunters, but my hand cramped up in less than 10 minutes of play.

urahonky on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    If we sacrifice goats wouldn't it end up on a Sony platform?

LewieP on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    LewieP wrote: »

good point .... I think I'll sacrifice my wallet

Xaquin on
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    LewieP wrote: »

Bahaha. Touché Salesman, touché!

MuttonChops on
    muttonchops.png
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    plufim wrote: »

This wouldn't be done by Camelot, though, would it? Camelot's We Love Golf is coming out at some point this year and it's essentially [Mario Golf] - [Mario universe characters], so I'm curious to see how it sells.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Lunker wrote: »

This wouldn't be done by Camelot, though, would it? Camelot's We Love Golf is coming out at some point this year and it's essentially [Mario Golf] - [Mario universe characters], so I'm curious to see how it sells.

I'll buy it. Jeeze, get off my back! :P

urahonky on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    Lunker wrote: »

I'll buy it. Jeeze, get off my back! :P

:D DOOOOO IIIIITTTT -- plus the NA version of We Love Golf has added online play, so I'd have someone to play with!

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Does anyone have any numbers in Europe?

:lol: no.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    edited April 2008

I should have guessed.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

I should have guessed.

European numbers are so damn hard to wrangle. Many have tried, some have fallen into madness in the attempt.

cloudeagle on