Options

Video Game Sales Thread: time to be locked.

• Options
    BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Got this in my email this morning.
    Gamerscore wrote:
    Consumers continue to make the ultimate vote for Xbox 360 as the console of choice by investing $9.4 billion to date this lifecycle in the Xbox 360 experience, far outpacing that of other game consoles. (March NPD data)

Going into March, some key U.S. retailers were still experiencing the trickle down effect of Xbox 360 console shortages. By the end of March, supply issues had improved and we expect retailers to be fully stocked with Xbox 360 consoles in time for the "Grand Theft Auto IV" launch. According to NPD, 262,000 Xbox 360 consoles sold in March, reclaiming the #2 position in the next-gen console category.

In just two weeks, Xbox 360 will extend its industry lead with the year's most anticipated game launch, GTA IV. Launching April 29, GTA IV will be coming to Xbox 360 on day one. GTA IV will feature the first ever online multiplayer for the franchise and Xbox 360 is also the only place you can earn GTA IV Achievements and increase your gamerscore.

Starting this fall, only Xbox 360 owners will have access to exclusive GTA IV episodic content. Whether it's the results of online polls or data from pre-sells, consumers have made it clear that the benefits of Xbox LIVE and exclusive access to GTA IV episodic content are making Xbox 360 the chosen place to play GTA IV.

Xbox 360 drives industry growth with record attach rates

* March NPD data shows a new U.S. Xbox 360 software attach rate of 7.5, a record for any game console.

* In Europe, Xbox 360 continues to enjoy the highest software attach rate of any game console with more than 7.0 games sold per console (PS3: 3.8; Wii 3.5) after 27 months on the market..

* Xbox 360 sales in Europe have more than doubled in the wake of recent retail price changes, solidifying its leadership position as the number one next-generation console in EMEA, owning 42% of the market in terms of life-to-date revenue. (Microsoft estimates based on ChartTrack and Gfk data).

* Third party publishers find more success on Xbox 360. In March, Xbox 360 accounted for $220 million of all third party game sales this generation, or 49 percent of share. Third party publishers win on Xbox 360 more than any other platform. (March NPD data)

* Games for the Xbox 360 platform accounted for four of the top ten games for this generation. (March NPD data)

Xbox 360 most widely used system for online gaming

* Xbox 360 delivers social entertainment experiences to more than 10 million Xbox LIVE gamers around the globe. (Microsoft internal data)

* On April 2, NPD released a study called "Online Gaming 2008" which reported that 42 percent of people aged six to 44 play video games online. Their console of choice? Xbox 360. Half of online gamers prefer the Xbox 360 over other current-generation gaming consoles. ("Online Gaming 2008")

* Xbox LIVE now delivers 4,800 hours of TV and movie entertainment including family favorites like "Hannah Montana," "Lost," and "Superman III."(Microsoft internal data)

Xbox 360 is the gaming platform of choice-our great games and exploding online community will help keep it that way.

Bamelin on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    * Xbox LIVE now delivers 4,800 hours of TV and movie entertainment including family favorites like "Hannah Montana," "Lost," and "Superman III."(Microsoft internal data)

Microsoft Internal Data -> The CEO's wife and kids.

urahonky on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    * Xbox 360 delivers social entertainment experiences to more than 10 million Xbox LIVE gamers around the globe. (Microsoft internal data)

Because the kinds of things I hear screamed by 12 year olds I've never met over a headset is what comes to mind when I think of a "social entertainment experience."

slash000 on
  • Options
    GogoKodoGogoKodo Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Best gaf image this npd:
    wiibama-1.gif
    The image is made even better when attached to the slogan "Yes Wii Can!"

I realise I'm late to the thread.

GogoKodo on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    No, thank you for bumping that back up. I didn't see it, and it's awesome.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Lunker wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    Lunker wrote: »
    plufim wrote: »
    I could see mario golf wii being fucking huge, myself.

This wouldn't be done by Camelot, though, would it? Camelot's We Love Golf is coming out at some point this year and it's essentially [Mario Golf] - [Mario universe characters], so I'm curious to see how it sells.

I'll buy it. Jeeze, get off my back! :P

:D DOOOOO IIIIITTTT -- plus the NA version of We Love Golf has added online play, so I'd have someone to play with!

Oh don't worry Lunker. I am nothing short of a GOD at the Mario Golf games. I will destroy you!

urahonky on
  • Options
    MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The phrase "Yes Wii Can" makes me want to carve the heart out of whoever first used it.

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    The phrase "Yes Wii Can" makes me want to carve the heart out of whoever first used it.

There's a bonus song in Guitar Hero 2 called "Yes We Can."

It's also quite infamously well known as the worst, most horrid, nails-on-a-chalkboard, ear-raping song in the game.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

God damn Mista, everything you type is pure gold.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

I know, its hard being this awesome some times.

EDIT: Worst top of the page post ever.

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
  • Options
    edited April 2008

I dunno. There was this one time I said that it was okay that a character in a video game "tried to rape" someone, because he was funny.

And I was man enough to keep it.

urahonky on
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Hardware LTDs by gamefront.de

Pos. System Einheiten
    1 PlayStation2 41.877.565
    2 Game Boy Advance 36.093.054
    3 Nintendo DS 19.127.750
    4 Xbox 14.500.480
    5 Gamecube 11.769.728
    6 PSP 11.283.020
    7 Xbox 360 9.871.432
    8 Wii 8.780.678
    9 PlayStation3 4.052.504

Randomly posted on gaf... Do not consume without 1kg of salt... But I thought PS3 dominated Europe....

[edit] Wait those must be US numbers from Germany. bah

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Actually the mods here actively enforce a ban against stupid Wii puns.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Sorry bout that.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Wasn't it because of Dwiigon quest? Man, that was pretty bad Lewie. :)

urahonky on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

I dunno. There was this one time I said that it was okay that a character in a video game "tried to rape" someone, because he was funny.

And I was man enough to keep it.

I'm so glad my girl hasn't just asked what I'm laughing at.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008

It was supposed to be ridiculous I guess, like a tongue in cheek extrapolation of how far you can squash a Wii pun into something.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I pity the poor guy who had to write the Microsoft press release this month.

They could just point to Europe;
    Xbox 360 European Sales

European leadership position strengthened following recent price adjustment

LONDON - Thursday 17th April, 2008- The momentum behind Xbox 360 continues to grow, as Microsoft today announced that European sales have more than doubled in the wake of recent adjustments of the estimated retail price (ERP), solidifying its leadership position as the number one next-generation console in Europe and significantly broadening the console’s audience.

“Xbox 360 is truly the next-generation console of choice among consumers, and today’s numbers are proof that we are delivering on our commitment to achieve critical mass in Europe,” said Chris Lewis, Vice President, Microsoft Interactive Entertainment Business Europe. “The highly competitive ERP, coupled with entertainment content that’s appealing to everyone in the home, makes Xbox 360 the ultimate high-definition entertainment choice, and it’s clear that we’re already seeing this resonate with consumers.”

Xbox 360 is the number one next-gen console in EMEA, owning 42% of the market in terms of life-to-date revenue. Xbox 360 continues to enjoy the highest software attach rate of any game console in Europe with more than 7.0 games sold per console (PS3: 3.8; Wii 3.5) after 27 months on the market.

On Friday, 14th March, Microsoft lowered the ERP for its Xbox 360™ family of consoles in Europe. Now with an entry-level ERP of £159.99, Xbox 360 is a video game and entertainment system that is appealing to an even broader audience. Upcoming releases of blockbuster games such as “Grand Theft Auto IV,” “Rock Band,” “Lego Indiana Jones” and “Ninja Gaiden 2,” will continue this momentum and give consumers even more reasons to buy Xbox 360.

Bolded part for relevant positive news. I think the Wii is ahead in units sold by some margin, can't remember the numbers, but 360 is certainly selling something well.

They must have some good sales in the Middle East and Africa then (EMEA stands for Europe, Middle East and Africa), because they sure as hell aren't the number one next gen console in Europe alone. The Wii outsold it ages ago and the PS3 is pretty close to passing it.

Yeah, I know about EMEA, have we got any kind of numbers, for all these regions?

I can't remember ever seeing any sales figures for Africa or the Middle East. And Microsoft claiming 42% of revenue is pretty big.

Also yeah, I did say that the Wii has supposed to have outsold it by some margin in Europe. I heard the PS3 is close to drawing level in Europe, which seems weird to me, because here in the UK the PS3 is still firmly in third place. But the French and Spanish are supposed to love the PS3.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    LewieP wrote: »

It was supposed to be ridiculous I guess, like a tongue in cheek extrapolation of how far you can squash a Wii pun into something.

And this is why we can't have nice things.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I pity the poor guy who had to write the Microsoft press release this month.

Xbox 360 European Sales

LONDON - Thursday 17th April, 2008- The momentum behind Xbox 360 continues to grow, as Microsoft today announced that European sales have more than doubled in the wake of recent adjustments of the estimated retail price (ERP), solidifying its leadership position as the number one next-generation console in Europe and significantly broadening the console’s audience.

“Xbox 360 is truly the next-generation console of choice among consumers, and today’s numbers are proof that we are delivering on our commitment to achieve critical mass in Europe,” said Chris Lewis, Vice President, Microsoft Interactive Entertainment Business Europe. “The highly competitive ERP, coupled with entertainment content that’s appealing to everyone in the home, makes Xbox 360 the ultimate high-definition entertainment choice, and it’s clear that we’re already seeing this resonate with consumers.”

Xbox 360 is the number one next-gen console in EMEA, owning 42% of the market in terms of life-to-date revenue. Xbox 360 continues to enjoy the highest software attach rate of any game console in Europe with more than 7.0 games sold per console (PS3: 3.8; Wii 3.5) after 27 months on the market.

On Friday, 14th March, Microsoft lowered the ERP for its Xbox 360™ family of consoles in Europe. Now with an entry-level ERP of £159.99, Xbox 360 is a video game and entertainment system that is appealing to an even broader audience. Upcoming releases of blockbuster games such as “Grand Theft Auto IV,” “Rock Band,” “Lego Indiana Jones” and “Ninja Gaiden 2,” will continue this momentum and give consumers even more reasons to buy Xbox 360.

Bolded part for relevant positive news. I think the Wii is ahead in units sold by some margin, can't remember the numbers, but 360 is certainly selling something well.

They must have some good sales in the Middle East and Africa then (EMEA stands for Europe, Middle East and Africa), because they sure as hell aren't the number one next gen console in Europe alone. The Wii outsold it ages ago and the PS3 is pretty close to passing it.

Yeah, I know about EMEA, have we got any kind of numbers, for all these regions?

I can't remember ever seeing any sales figures for Africa or the Middle East. And Microsoft claiming 42% of revenue is pretty big.

Also yeah, I did say that the Wii has supposed to have outsold it by some margin in Europe. I heard the PS3 is close to drawing level in Europe, which seems weird to me, because here in the UK the PS3 is still firmly in third place. But the French and Spanish are supposed to love the PS3.

Well the UK loves the PS3 too...just not as much as the other 2 apparently. The PS3 seems to have very healthy sales over in Europe which is why Im shocked the MGS4 bundle isnt going over there.

MistaCreepy on
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Oh, Lewie and his social commentary.

Graviija on
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Xbox 360 European Sales

blah blah blah

I don't think this has anything to do with sales in Africa or the ME. Microsoft just picked the metrics that make them look good. LTD revenue since it give them both a year headstart on the PS3 and a multiplier on the Wii due to the price. And they chose to compare attach rates since their's actually is good and because it is naturally higher due to having another year.

That said I think a lot of people are putting to much weight behind the idea that PS3 is going to "win" 2nd place because of sales in Japan and Europe. Maybe after some time they will but 1) it won't be right away. 2) it won't be decisive, in that the difference won't be big enough to give devs a reason to forgo multi-platform releases and go PS3 exclusive instead 3) No one knows how to sell PS3 games in Japan yet. 4) the Wii will have the advantage of an actually decisive win and lower dev costs.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Xbox 360 European Sales

blah blah blah

I don't think this has anything to do with sales in Africa or the ME. Microsoft just picked the metrics that make them look good. LTD revenue since it give them both a year headstart on the PS3 and a multiplier on the Wii due to the price. And they chose to compare attach rates since their's actually is good and because it is naturally higher due to having another year.

That said I think a lot of people are putting to much weight behind the idea that PS3 is going to "win" 2nd place because of sales in Japan and Europe. Maybe after some time they will but 1) it won't be right away. 2) it won't be decisive, in that the difference won't be big enough to give devs a reason to forgo multi-platform releases and go PS3 exclusive instead 3) No one knows how to sell PS3 games in Japan yet. 4) the Wii will have the advantage of an actually decisive win and lower dev costs.

Not to mention 5) PS3 system sales in Japan are pretty crap, and only look better compared to the comically horrible 360 sales.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Well the UK loves the PS3 too...just not as much as the other 2 apparently. The PS3 seems to have very healthy sales over in Europe which is why Im shocked the MGS4 bundle isnt going over there.

wat

I already own a PS3 but man I would be pissed if I didnt.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    GTA IV bundle instead. Much better idea really.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    But Europe loves MGS.

We get the European extreme difficulty.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Who the hell are you?

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Who the hell are you?

LOL I thought the same thing until I read the username.

MistaCreepy on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Hey, at least he stuck to the same source material.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    El Dorado avatar, who else would it be?

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Who the hell are you?

Tulio > Miguel

FACT

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Who the hell are you?

Tulio > Miguel

FACT

I always thought they were gay.

Couscous on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    This thread tells me something.

What this here thread tells me is, "Pachter doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about".

This thread is right.

Go Wii.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Who the hell are you?

LOL I thought the same thing until I read the username.

I finally stopped changing my own avatar once I realized how useful it was to remember people by their avatars. Occasionally someone will change theirs, and I'll notice the user name, and it's fine whatever. But usually it's easy to keep track of people by their avatars.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    When did you pixelify yours? I only noticed the other day.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    When did you pixelify yours? I only noticed the other day.

A couple of days ago. I wanted to change it but not so much that it looked totally different than it was before. This'll probably be the one I stick with for a while.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    It's cool.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »

wat

I already own a PS3 but man I would be pissed if I didnt.
    GTA IV bundle instead. Much better idea really.

True. The thing is, Microsoft are going all out with the marketing on TV already here.

You can buy a 360 Premium & GTAIV from Play at £199 for day one. The PS3 bundle is not hitting until a week after launch for £100 more at £299. I have no idea how this will play out in sales. I mean, on the one hand, there a lot of PS2 owners who might want to upgrade for GTAIV. Or fancy a Blue-ray player also. But on the other hand, the 360 is £100 cheaper, and is the system being promoted in the adverts.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Nintendo: It prints universes.

Algertman on
  • Options
    toxk_02toxk_02 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Sleep wrote: »
    This thread tells me something.

What this here thread tells me is, "Pachter doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about".

This thread is right.

Go Wii.
    You know as fun as it is to roast him (I'm guilty of it) he's often right. Now he may be stating the obvious or still clinging to the PS3 turning it around with a major price-drop but when it comes to actual hardware/software numbers he's pretty damn good. This was his call for the month:

[NDS] 700,000 (off by 2k)
    [WII] 700,000 (off by 21k)
    [PS3] 365,000 (off by 107k)
    [PS2] 320,000 (off by 104k)
    [360] 310,000 (off by 48k)
    [PSP] 300,000 (off by 3k)

Outside of his high-balling Sony figures he's done well. Didn't most think his 700k for the Wii was too high, and the same for the DS? Out of the 160 wanna-be analysts at GAF Pachter still ranked #6 this month and if you go back and look at the prediction threads for the last couple months he's dominated: #1 in December, #1 for the 3-month holiday period, and he called everything in Dec:
    Add in nailing the Industry SW @ 28% increase, calling Call of Duty 4 at 2M units (which everybody thought was wayyyy too high), calling GH3 @ 2.4M (actual 2.6M), Rockband @ 740k (800k actual), Assassin's Creed @ 1M (Actual 1.3M) alongside absolutely killing the HW totals (a score of 130 on Donny's numbers show).

Overall, the singularly best predictive effort we've seen in the 3+ years I've been running the GAF predictions.

I know, he's still a bit of a bozo about long-term things and likely gets information we don't, but when it comes to the monthly estimates he's actually very good. Anyway, done defending Pachter.

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg