As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Refresh rate on monitor

VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
My last monitor (15" LCD) died very unspectacularly, and I had to replace it quickly. I got a Westinghouse L1975NW 19" LCD for $195 which was the best deal I could find in such short notice. It has a max resolution of 1440 x 900 as stated on the box and from the EVEREST Ultimate program. However, I am not able to raise it above a refresh rate of 60 Hz at max resolution, but EVEREST says I can raise it to 76 Hz. I'd really like to up the Hz because I sometimes can see flickering on some patterns and it's not good for the eyes.

My video card is an EVGA 8800GT, but I've been unable to increase the refresh rate through there either. Any suggestions? Besides getting a better monitor?

CoH_infantry.jpg
Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
VeritasVR on

• bbmartinibbmartini Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    it's probably all its capable of displaying, i have a view sonic 22" that can only go 65hz

bbmartini on
    camo_sig2.png
  • meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    RefreshForce should do the trick.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • Dark MoonDark Moon Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Er, LCDs don't have refresh rates.

Dark Moon on
    3072973561_de17a80845_o.jpg
  • meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Er, yes they do. All current display technology redraw the image a certain amount of times per second. LCD's do it in a very different way than a CRT but there will still be a visual difference to the user, as evidenced by this topic in the first place.

Most LCD's have a max of 60Hz and Windows may be assuming that the OP's does too and forcing the issue.

edit: I did some reading and it looks like the refresh rate shouldn't be causing the flickering, since no matter the refresh rate on an LCD the backlight is always on. There might be something wrong with your monitor.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • TransparentTransparent Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Second meatflower's edit.

Native resolution at 60Hz should be giving you the best picture out of your LCD. I hope you have it hooked up DVI-D and not VGA.

Transparent on
    PAXtrain '10, let's do this!
  • VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm not sure if mine is hooked up to DVI-D or VGA. I'm don't think I had a choice when I plugged it into the adapter on the motherboard. Also, the flickering is my eyes being bothered from a certain pixel pattern, so I can "see" the refresh.
    meatflower wrote: »
    RefreshForce should do the trick.

Is it available for Vista 64?

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • GophermasterGophermaster Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I had the same problem when I bought an LCD for the first time. Make sure you have it hooked up with a DVI cable and not the VGA one, that's all it took for me to fix it. Also, there really isn't a refresh rate in the crt sense, so raising your's won't help.

Gophermaster on