As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Democratic Primaries: Pennsylvania, key hellhole state

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    tuxkamen wrote: »
    kildy wrote: »
    Why oh why has Marc Ambinder closed his comments section.

http://marcambinder.theatlantic.com/archives/2008/04/north_carolina_cancels_debate.php

That's not at all worthy of comment. Not even slightly. Everyone else just pointed out that the debate was canceled. Apparently Ambinder has amazing connections inside the Obama camp to find out the real scoop as to why. o_O

That's not that much of a stretch of a reason, honestly, and it is worthy of comment--especially if she beats expectations.

EDIT: Of course, you might be saying that we should be able to comment on it after all, in which case...yeah. We should.

Which expectations? Honestly Hillary manages to beat expectations because they slide around so much its hard to fail.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Preacher wrote: »
    Which expectations? Honestly Hillary manages to beat expectations because they slide around so much its hard to fail.
    Hillary managed to not spontaneously combust! She's tough enough to be President.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Richy wrote: »
    Jragghen wrote: »
    To put in perspective - I work for a global corporation. In order to balance out the number of days off that everyone in other countries gets, every 7 years, we get a 2 month paid sabbatical.
    2 months every 7 years comes down to about 9 days per year. Except saying "9 days paid vacation per year" sounds less impressive than "2 months paid sabbatical every 7 years".

Yeah, but put another way, all the other countries get twice as many holidays as we do.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Man, is it 10:00 tommorrow yet?

I need to know the results. It is killing me.

Speaker on
  • Options
    ShadowThomasShadowThomas Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/04/21/928468.aspx
    "They thought they had her after Super Tuesday, because even though she won most of the states, she was flat broke," he said. "So we had a whole February where she lost these caucuses, one after the other. And then people like you figured out she didn't have any money, and over 300,000 Americans sent her $30 million dollars. … They said, 'Nope, she's our girl; we don't want her to quit; we want her to stay in there; we will help her.'"

What?

ShadowThomas on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited April 2008
    Speaker wrote: »

It's times like this that make me thankful that I can drink myself into unconsciousness.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Call Diebold up. They might clue you in.

moniker on
  • Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Preacher wrote: »
    tuxkamen wrote: »
    Why oh why has Marc Ambinder closed his comments section.

http://marcambinder.theatlantic.com/archives/2008/04/north_carolina_cancels_debate.php

That's not at all worthy of comment. Not even slightly. Everyone else just pointed out that the debate was canceled. Apparently Ambinder has amazing connections inside the Obama camp to find out the real scoop as to why. o_O

That's not that much of a stretch of a reason, honestly, and it is worthy of comment--especially if she beats expectations.

EDIT: Of course, you might be saying that we should be able to comment on it after all, in which case...yeah. We should.

My point on it was honestly that it's a huge amount of conjecture he'd get called on if he allowed comments, but he closed them down due to being accused of making any article pro-Clinton. He's pretty notorious at this point for adding something that looks like a backstabbing move by Obama to any and all articles. Earlier he had one about fundraising and cited the numbers everyone had in their accounts, and ends it on "but what if he loses PA, then will Obama have more money?! Where will his donors be then!?"

kildy on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    "They thought they had her after Super Tuesday, because even though she won most of the states, she was flat broke," he said. "So we had a whole February where she lost these caucuses, one after the other. And then people like you figured out she didn't have any money, and over 300,000 Americans sent her $30 million dollars. … They said, 'Nope, she's our girl; we don't want her to quit; we want her to stay in there; we will help her.'"

What?

It's times like this that I want to be a political heckler. Just some dude in the audience calling bullshit until the Secret Service drags me out.

Alternatively:

wikipedian_protester.png

moniker on
  • Options
    SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Irond Will wrote: »

It's times like this that make me thankful that I can drink myself into unconsciousness.

My tax dollars hard at work.

Speaker on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008

What?
    Silly Thomas. Caucuses aren't legitimate elections. Don't you know that?

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Wait, wait, Ron Paul supporters are trying to pull an HRC? Without any metric of the votes to make it? Impressive.
    It's sad and pathetic, because it's mostly college students that should goddamn know better.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I wish the Ron Paul supporters actually had a shot at sowing anything vaguely resembling dissent at the Republican convention. Even if they only managed to drive down turnout.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    moniker wrote: »
    It's times like this that I want to be a political heckler. Just some dude in the audience calling bullshit until the Secret Service drags me out.

Alternatively:

wikipedian_protester.png

I so need to do that sometime. Too bad no one gives a shit about Massachusetts now that the primary is over.

Sal on
    xet8c.gif

• Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Wait, wait, Ron Paul supporters are trying to pull an HRC? Without any metric of the votes to make it? Impressive.
    It's sad and pathetic, because it's mostly college students that should goddamn know better.

I knew someone who supported ron paul only because he was against the war on drugs. Fucking potheads.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    Does anyone else get irritated by the overusage of phrasing like "She's our girl!" by Hillary supporters, and even the Clinton campaign [or its surrogates] itself?

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Oboro wrote: »
    Does anyone else get irritated by the overusage of phrasing like "She's our girl!" by Hillary supporters, and even the Clinton campaign [or its surrogates] itself?
    They're living up to the rich and respectful traditions of Feminism.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    God Bless You WWE

It was amusing seeing how many wrestling phrases Hilary and McCain could stuff into their sentence.
    And we finally got "Do you smell what Barrack is cooking." To bad it was with little effort.
    Supposedly there's more to come tonight.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Ahh, the Ron Paul desperation brings a smile to my face. Come 2009 they will be working feverishly to construct a time machine out of hubcaps, coat hangars and granola.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Kyougu wrote: »
    God Bless You WWE

It was amusing seeing how many wrestling phrases Hilary and McCain could stuff into their sentence.
    And we finally got "Do you smell what Barrack is cooking." To bad it was with little effort.
    ........there are no words.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    mtvcdm wrote: »

What?

Oh, there will be a wailing and a gnashing of teeth when this primary is over, and I won't even pretend not to enjoy it.

Rust on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    God Bless You WWE

HIL ROD!

OH GOD MY EARS

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Rust wrote: »

What?

Oh, there will be a wailing and a gnashing of teeth when this primary is over, and I won't even pretend not to enjoy it.
    Be quick about it, then start working to keep them from heading to McCain.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Richy wrote: »
    Thanatos wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Lawndart wrote: »

I dunno, I can get behind the idea that we have too goddamn many federal holidays as-is, whether I agree with it or not. If I was going to compile a list of federal holidays, it would look like this:

Presidents Day
    Fourth of July
    Christmas
    Memorial Day/Veterans Day (basically a single day to honor troops)

That's it. No MLK day, no Cesar Chavez day, no Labor Day. The idea of creating special days on which government employees get 8 hours of free pay all willy nilly is sort of lame to me. I'd only do Christmas because the holiday is so large that everyone takes off to celebrate it anyway.

Now, if McCain opposed MLK day but supported other similar federal holidays, then he's a bit of a fucko.

edit: That said, the idea of declaring a day as a "Hey, let's remember this cool dude but you don't get a paid holiday" day is cool.
    I'd like to get rid of all of those, and just have 5 days of paid floating holidays we can use whenever the fuck we want.
    I think the idea is that those holidays are not simply paid vacations, but also commemorate things that you as a country should be commemorating: your leaders, your nation, and your veterans. And Christmas is so damn popular that it would be impractical not to have it as a holiday.

I just like the idea of a day at the beginning/end of the year to celebrate the end/beginning of good/bad things. (that was a lot of "/"s in one sentence).

I have a friend who's father worked for the US Army in Germany. He got all German and American holidays off, and also the standard 6 weeks of vacation experienced Germans get (he was German).

EDIT: I would want to keep "election day" on a Tuesday, or possibly make it a Wednesday, if it were a holiday, to hopefully prevent people from going on a short vacation instead of voting.

Cauld on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    God Bless You WWE

HIL ROD!

OH GOD MY EARS

He could have delivered that line so much better.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    He could have delivered that line so much better.
    McCain was framed horribly with how much he was using his arms.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Oboro wrote: »

I have serious trouble applying the word "girl" to a woman old enough to be my grandmother.

Scooter on
  • Options
    SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Obama's got a pretty harsh robocall that attacks Clinton for her vote on confiscation of guns in an emergency. It's a policy issue and I think it is a good way to attack her, but it is a little harder than what we've normally seen out of him.

This does seem like a good way to suppress her gun vote, as that should sound pretty unconstitutional to them.

Savant on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Savant wrote: »
    Obama's got a pretty harsh robocall that attacks Clinton for her vote on confiscation of guns in an emergency. It's a policy issue and I think it is a good way to attack her, but it is a little harder than what we've normally seen out of him.

This does seem like a good way to suppress her gun vote, as that should sound pretty unconstitutional to them.

I don't approve of this kind of shit.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

What?

Ack, i forgot. And small insignificant states like Minnesota and Illinois don't matter. So really Obama only one like two states.

ShadowThomas on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Haven't you been paying attention? Those other states are filled with latte sipping elitists. Not like those humble down to earth folksy people in New York and Massachusetts

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

I don't approve of this kind of shit.

Yeah. I'm not fond of robocalling. The attack is based off of policy, at least, but the method irks me.

And oh God, why do I keep reading comments?

Jragghen on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Cafferty just asked what it'll take for McCain to catch up in fundraising, since the $81 million in public financing is more or less guaranteed to get dwarfed by whatever disgusting number Obama would end up raising.

My answer: "A ski mask, a pump-action rifle, and a poorly-spelled note ordering the teller to focus on the $10's and $20's."

Gosling on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Coming off his bitter comment, which to me suggested that we were better off voting based on our economic interests than according to issues like gun control, this strikes me as absurdly hypocritical.

Hopefully he didn't personally approve the message.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Coming off his bitter comment, which to me suggested that we were better off voting based on our economic interests than according to issues like gun control, this strikes me as absurdly hypocritical.

Well, it's meant to show the hypocrisy of Clinton's gun pandering, so this has to be some form of higher order hypocrisy.

Savant on
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008

Well, it's meant to show the hypocrisy of Clinton's gun pandering, so this has to be some form of higher order hypocrisy.

Meta hypocrisy?

I don't like it either. I can only hope PAers do, though.

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I haven't listened to it, is it really that bad?

Anyway, I don't expect saintlike behavior from a politician. You can't win if you're not willing to hit your opponent in their weak spots.

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Hakkekage wrote: »

Meta hypocrisy?

I don't like it either. I can only hope PAers do, though.

I mean, I think it is a good issue to hit her on and I come down on his side on it. The method of delivery seems a bit underhanded, but it is fair game. But this definitely is an old politics sort of thing that he has decried and not engaged too much in, what with the last minute dumbed down robocall.

Savant on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2008

I don't so much mind the sentiment, and I find robocalls more crass than offensive, but this was a dumb move in light of his (perfectly defensible) bitter-comments.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I think this has been posted before, but if not:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/04/21/ed-rendell-clinton-surrog_n_97784.html

It's from 10 years ago but after every little thing that Clinton's Camp been digging up it should be addressed.

Hopefully Obermann brings it up tonight.

ShadowThomas on
This discussion has been closed.