Hugging the [chat] out of 'em

• Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    So guys.

Should I go to long beach or Pomona?

I got accepted into both.

Long Beach has a better basketball team. That's seriously the only input I have for you.

Satan. on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Sig shows up fine for me satan.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Satan. wrote: »
    Man I get 9 bucks an hour working at the local grocery store, 10 bucks an hour for roof jobs sounds like a rip.

I live in Michigan, remember.

---

Is my sig broken?

Are you with Harvey Dent?

If yes, no. If no, yes.

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    Medopine wrote: »
    Exactly Hacks

You have to really really love money to go through med school for only that reason, it is rough
    I briefly considered becoming a plastic surgeon, but then I remembered all that stuff about residency and terribleness and make it stop oh God make it stop

My dad makes fun of residents nowadays, since they get a mandated amount of sleep. Of course, the older dudes at his hospital during his residency made fun of him for being able to go home instead of sleeping on a cot in a closet at the hospital.

Also for having Penicillin.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Richy wrote: »
    My parents aren't too keen with my choices in university, but I am already better then my older sister so hazzah!
    Aren't you at UofT? That's a pretty good university.

Man it was easy to get into, applied to Social sciences, needed at the mininum a 70, got in no problem.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    So guys.

Check the male/female ratios

I went to Sonoma state first. It was like 2.5 girls for every guy.

It was also a terrible school.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Pony wrote: »
    Right now, I work as a Customer Service Agent for American Express. I make good money, including decent coin off of commissions and performance bonuses.

My workplace is big on rewards and giving us money for staying and doing a good job because my job primarily involves people screaming at me and crying and telling me how I am ruining their life.

I can understand how for some people that would be hard to deal with every day.

Me? I just like seeing a big fat $140 performance bonus on my pay on top of my normal wage.

I could totally do a job like this. I wish they had a call center around here (that I knew about).

Satan. on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    Pony who are "you folks"

Man I don't even know you

There's elements of the D&D community who love nothing more than to rag on the fact that I was a grocery store cashier for like four years. Like somehow this made me a lesser person or something. It was weird, they'd throw it in my face like an insulting thing, not realizing how arrogant and classist it made them sound.

Yes, I'm sure that's what it is. There couldn't be anything else about you they might dislike.

They certainly don't make it very clear.

I mean, you're the most straightforward of em all, Vc, and even you can't bother much more than "You're a terrible person and you should kill yourself!"

And seeing how you say that to just about anybody, it doesn't hold any weight.

Hey, I do not say that to just anybody. Suicide is not a joking matter and I take it very seriously.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I will tell any of you motherfuckers, if you have credit cards, and you got a supplementary card for your wife/husband/whatever and they're the ones who pay the bills and the finances I want you to hit yourself.

Because those people are so annoying. I get lots of calls per day from the spouse who isn't the primary card holder and wants to change the address or increase the credit limit and I am sorry, ma'am, I know your husband is an idiot with money and you pay all the bills, but you can't do those things, you are the supplementary card member.

Those people murder my AHT, because they just don't fucking accept the reality of the situation.

Pony on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So guys.

Where the white women at?

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    So guys.

Go to the one that doesn't suck monkey tits.

That doesn't help! I don't know which one sucks...

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    CraveonCraveon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    Pretty much law school and med school aren't worth it if you don't have rich parents, yeah

I'm with you Pony

I'm in awe of the people who chose, in this country, to become doctors when they didn't have the money.

The people who endured all that debt and hardship and poverty just for the possibility of some kind of light at the tunnel only to be shat upon from the heights of the crumbling public healthcare system, and still show up to work every day anyway.

That's damn respectible.
    I have a re
    ally hard time understanding here what it is exactly that makes them so noble. It's the basic evolutionary struggle, nothing more. Pulling yourself out from the gutter is first and foremost in your OWN self interest.

Craveon on
    elegyofemptiness.jpg
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So guys.

I think that's the Cal Poly that I got accepted to.

My understanding is that your choices are Long Beach (Full of bullet holes), Pamona (Smog)

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    Man I get 9 bucks an hour working at the local grocery store, 10 bucks an hour for roof jobs sounds like a rip.

I live in Michigan, remember.

---

Is my sig broken?

Are you with Harvey Dent?

If yes, no. If no, yes.

It switches between the regular Dent and the Joker'd Dent.

Blowjobs to Richy for making the awesome sig and finding the sig rotation service.

Satan. on
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    Exactly Hacks

You have to really really love money to go through med school for only that reason, it is rough
    I briefly considered becoming a plastic surgeon, but then I remembered all that stuff about residency and terribleness and make it stop oh God make it stop

My dad makes fun of residents nowadays, since they get a mandated amount of sleep. Of course, the older dudes at his hospital during his residency made fun of him for being able to go home instead of sleeping on a cot in a closet at the hospital.

Also for having Penicillin.

Yeah I guess the medical education system found out actually destroying your residents and their home life wasn't the best way to attract new people to the profession :P

Medopine on
  • Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I will tell any of you motherfuckers, if you have credit cards, and you got a supplementary card for your wife/husband/whatever and they're the ones who pay the bills and the finances I want you to hit yourself.

Because those people are so annoying. I get lots of calls per day from the spouse who isn't the primary card holder and wants to change the address or increase the credit limit and I am sorry, ma'am, I know your husband is an idiot with money and you pay all the bills, but you can't do those things, you are the supplementary card member.

Those people murder my AHT, because they just don't fucking accept the reality of the situation.

The primary cardholder in our family is a fucking accounting professor.

we rarely have issues.

Greeper on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Incenjucar wrote: »

My understanding is that your choices are Long Beach (Full of bullet holes), Pamona (Smog)

Awesome.

Long Beach = moving out of the house, Pomona = still living at home most likely, so that's a factor too.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

A similar situation infuriates my mom. Ford Credit will call the house looking to talk to my dad about car loan X. They absolutely refuse to talk to her because she's not him. They don't even let him add her name on to the account to handle the damn thing.

Satan. on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Yeah I guess the medical education system found out actually destroying your residents and their home life wasn't the best way to attract new people to the profession :P
    So when is law going to catch up?

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Craveon wrote: »
    Pretty much law school and med school aren't worth it if you don't have rich parents, yeah

I'm with you Pony

I'm in awe of the people who chose, in this country, to become doctors when they didn't have the money.

The people who endured all that debt and hardship and poverty just for the possibility of some kind of light at the tunnel only to be shat upon from the heights of the crumbling public healthcare system, and still show up to work every day anyway.

That's damn respectible.
    I have a re
    ally hard time understanding here what it is exactly that makes them so noble. It's the basic evolutionary struggle, nothing more. Pulling yourself out from the gutter is first and foremost in your OWN self interest.

Going to med school isn't pulling yourself from the gutter. You don't need to go to med school to survive. In fact, it's quite a sacrifice of your time and resources.

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Awesome.

Long Beach = moving out of the house, Pomona = still living at home most likely, so that's a factor too.

I suggest the former, but I've lived for 18 years under the violent iron thumb of my mother.

god help me.

Greeper on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

So when is law going to catch up?

Big firms will never die

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Awesome.

Honestly, look at this how you would look at going to Harvard or Yale. Who has the best program for what you want to do (at the moment)? Who has good faculty? Is one overcrowded? Simple things like that for now.

Satan. on
  • Options
    ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Richy wrote: »
    My parents aren't too keen with my choices in university, but I am already better then my older sister so hazzah!
    Aren't you at UofT? That's a pretty good university.

Man it was easy to get into, applied to Social sciences, needed at the mininum a 70, got in no problem.

One of my best friends was top of his class at Trinity last year.

He skipped out on commencement to hang out with me for a couple of weeks in Maine. They were going to have a big dinner in his honor and everything.

My best best friend and I got him high instead. :P

Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    How do I figure out how good the English program is at colleges?

I really don't know how to find this information.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

I'm with you Pony

That's damn respectible.
    I have a re
    lol glittering generalities lol

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Harvard is obviously the choice over Yale every single time based on location alone

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Just make sure, wherever you go, you stay on task, and don't let the pressure eat at you.

It was so sad seeing my friend who got a free ride scholarship for computer science at Long Beach come back home to work at McDonalds. D:

--

Inq: Well, for starters, it depends on what aspect of English you're interested in. I went to Fresno state (I hate Fresno so badly) because they have a strong list of teachers who are good for getting fantasy-useful info from, whereas Monterey (I love Monterey so much) only had courses about writing about being a fucked over minority. (one of the worst tragedies ever)

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Look at the website for starters. Check out the faculty and see what they've written. Try to see if you can find a course listing.

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

I'm with you Pony

That's damn respectible.
    I have a re
    lol glittering generalities lol

itt people who help others are selfish jackasses.

Greeper on
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

I'm with you Pony

That's damn respectible.
    I have a re

Even if it was out of self interest it's still really really impressive. Isn't it natural to admire and want to emulate that which is most successful and adaptable? Isn't that also evolution?

but seriously... are you some type of evolutionary psychology troll?

wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    edited April 2008

There is no such thing as a "good" program, just an arbitrarily chosen highly ranked program.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Just make sure, wherever you go, you stay on task, and don't let the pressure eat at you.

It was so sad seeing my friend who got a free ride scholarship for computer science at Long Beach come back home to work at McDonalds. D:

My brother is a college drop out, and one of my main motivators for not becoming a college drop out.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So guys.

Go to the one that doesn't suck monkey tits.

That doesn't help! I don't know which one sucks...
    Based on their wikipedia pages, they both seem nice. I'd recommend touring each place and going with the one you like best.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

You never said, is this Cal State? I'll assume it is. English department makes up a large part of Long Beach, so that sounds like a winner.

Satan. on
  • Options
    Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

My sister took course that was about graphic novels. I want to take it too. :P

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Wut, girlz kooks ovens cuz they iz gatherers in dem genes.

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Andrew_Jay wrote: »
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    I also hear they have these things called jobs

apparently they let you have them to supplement other means of getting money?
    I'm having no luck so far getting a summer job.

Savings are what are keeping me going for the time being, and student loans. Dreading having to turn to the bank's line of credit, which I have to pay interest on immediately.
    Try construction. There are tons of ads in the student paper around here for roofers this summer, $10/hour. Strongly considering doing it myself and telling my current job of two years to go fuck themselves.
    It's an option, but a proper summer job would pay $15-18 an hour - like a research assistant, first-year student in a firm or government agency, NGO, etc. Fingers crossed.

But anything is infinitely (literally) better than the big fat zero I'm looking at right now.

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I've toured both.

Pomona seemed really, really nerdy.

Long Beach seemed really surfer bro/preppy/jocky.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I've toured both.

Pomona seemed really, really nerdy.

Long Beach seemed really surfer bro/preppy/jocky.
    Go to the school that felt better to you.

deadonthestreet on
This discussion has been closed.