Options

Hugging the [chat] out of 'em

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Satan. wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    How do I figure out how good the English program is at colleges?

I really don't know how to find this information.

You never said, is this Cal State? I'll assume it is. English department makes up a large part of Long Beach, so that sounds like a winner.

Yeah it is CSU Long Beach, and that is good to know, thanks.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    How do I figure out how good the English program is at colleges?

I really don't know how to find this information.
    There is no such thing as a "good" program, just an arbitrarily chosen highly ranked program.

Ranking it on a scale from 1-100 is a bad idea, yes. An English department with 15 faculty and some visiting professors is leagues better than one with fewer faculty. Look at student:faculty ratio, academic advising etc. If you really want to get into it, haul your ass to the library and look for papers written by faculty members and see what ones interest you.

Satan. on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The "A Bit of Fry and Laurie" sketch where they are suggesting new obscenities is hilarious. I need to use pimhole more often in conversation.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    I've toured both.

Pomona seemed really, really nerdy.

Long Beach seemed really surfer bro/preppy/jocky.

You'll find a niche.

HOw many people go to these schools?

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I was really hoping I'd just get accepted into one or the other and not have to make this choice, argh.

I'm still kinda waiting to see where my best friend since like, 4th grade gets accepted to.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Quit talking about these jobs at which you make lots of money... stop stop stop. Fucking Michigan.

wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Just pick the one where you saw cuter girls

seriously, there are worse ways to pick a school

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I'd also like to express my frustration at my college's requirement of two years of a foreign language when I could be taking shit that actually works for me.

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Medopine wrote: »
    I've toured both.

Pomona seemed really, really nerdy.

Long Beach seemed really surfer bro/preppy/jocky.

You'll find a niche.

HOw many people go to these schools?

Oh, I'm not worried about making friends. I've switched schools about 10 times now. I'm just talking about the vibe I got from campus. Pomona really felt like a commute school too. Like everyone was just passing through with no real attachment to their surroundings.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    It switches between the regular Dent and the Joker'd Dent.

Blowjobs to Richy for making the awesome sig and finding the sig rotation service.
    If only Photoshop and Googling skillz could get me blowjobs in real life...

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I was really hoping I'd just get accepted into one or the other and not have to make this choice, argh.

I'm still kinda waiting to see where my best friend since like, 4th grade gets accepted to.

I know it seems like a huge decision, but honestly it's not going to matter as much as you think it will. Factors like location, size, friends going there, etc might be just as important to consider. Both are un-shitty schools and honestly your college education will mostly be what you decide to make it.

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    wazilla wrote: »
    Quit talking about these jobs at which you make lots of money... stop stop stop. Fucking Michigan.

I got a 4% raise this month because...it's this month.

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    whew good workout

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

I'm from Michigan. I feel you. I am the fuck out of here the second the missus graduates.

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I'd also like to express my frustration at my college's requirement of two years of a foreign language when I could be taking shit that actually works for me.

Same here. Might as well minor in it after 2 friggin' years of it.

wazilla on
  • Options
    Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Don't worry, my job won't make me rich.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • Options
    edited April 2008

I know it seems like a huge decision, but honestly it's not going to matter as much as you think it will. Factors like location, size, friends going there, etc might be just as important to consider. Both are un-shitty schools and honestly your college education will mostly be what you decide to make it.

Thanks Medo. That actually takes a lot of pressure off, it's easy to make this thing blown up in my head. Especially with my parents breathing down my neck.

I think I'll put off my decision until I see where my friend ends up, and base it mainly off of that. I'd say right now Long Beach is in the lead because I'd get to move out too.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    One of the parts of my job where my mental condition is actually helpful is the criers.

We get people who cry. Sometimes, they're over-reacting, or sometimes they are idiots who are only crying because they realize they fucked themselves over and now they're up the creek.

But sometimes you get people who are crying into the phone begging for your help and their situation is totally understandable and not really their fault. Their interest rate is destroying their family and their business, their debt is ruining their marriage, they can't afford to pay the damn groceries even.

You totally see where they are coming from, you actually want to help them.

And you can't, because this is the sixth time they've gone past due by 30 days over $500 and yeah, their interest rate has shot up to 25.55% and there is nothing you can do about it.

I've seen agents break down after calls like that. Couple of people quit over it. I saw an agent completely freak the one time because the guy she was talking to her told her he was going to kill himself and hung up.

Was he gonna? Probably not, but she couldn't shake it.

Pretty glad I ain't gotta deal with the shit with that.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

http://www.class.csupomona.edu/efl/

Pomona combines English and foreign languages in one department. Long Beach is your best option, no doubt.

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Guys you're suppose to test out of a year of that shite using your incredible high school language education

Medopine on
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Senjutsu wrote: »

This is actually a very good way to pick schools. If you have to spend all day looking at swamp donkeys, your college experience is likely going to blow goats.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I really hate how useless high school is.

Pony on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    On a somewhat related subject, I've lately come to the realization that on the one hand I have achieved quite a bit more than I would have hoped for 15 years ago (career, family etc...) yet those intervening years were sufficiently full of horrors that I find myself very often in a state of depression. I really need to find a therapist round here once the current project ships.

Damnit why don't we come equipped with those flashy things from Men In Black. What I wouldn't give just to fucking forget 1995-2003 or so.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Pomona combines English and foreign languages in one department. Long Beach is your best option, no doubt.

Hmmm, yeah. Awesome find dude. I <3 you guys so much for all the support.

(course, one of my ideas was teaching English abroad in a foreign language, in which case Pomona might be better..... but nah, probably not)

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Unfortunately I'm taking mine right at the end and I don't feel like being a six year undergrad. The Spanish I learn is going to be useless when I get out.

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    Senjutsu wrote: »

This is actually a very good way to pick schools. If you have to spend all day looking at swamp donkeys, your college experience is likely going to blow goats.

well put

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

(course, one of my ideas was teaching English abroad in a foreign language, in which case Pomona might be better..... but nah, probably not)

If that's the case, you want to look for ESL programs (English Second Language) which is completely separate from the English program at most universities.

Satan. on
  • Options
    Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Pony wrote: »

It really is, my highschool babied us soo much.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008

Unfortunately I'm taking mine right at the end and I don't feel like being a six year undergrad. The Spanish I learn is going to be useless when I get out.
    It won't be if you plan on moving to California or Texas.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Just make sure, wherever you go, you stay on task, and don't let the pressure eat at you.

It was so sad seeing my friend who got a free ride scholarship for computer science at Long Beach come back home to work at McDonalds. D:

My brother is a college drop out, and one of my main motivators for not becoming a college drop out.

My little brother dropped out of college to go into the infantry because college was boring. He's one of my main motivations to drop out and go live in the wilderness.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Yeah, but part of me knows that it is kind of a pipe dream and knows I probably lack the testicular fortitude to leave everything and everyone I know behind to teach in a foreign land.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

I found it very useful. But then I, like, went to class and paid attention.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    On a somewhat related subject, I've lately come to the realization that on the one hand I have achieved quite a bit more than I would have hoped for 15 years ago (career, family etc...) yet those intervening years were sufficiently full of horrors that I find myself very often in a state of depression. I really need to find a therapist round here once the current project ships.

Damnit why don't we come equipped with those flashy things from Men In Black. What I wouldn't give just to fucking forget 1995-2003 or so.

I used to think like this, and then I decided, you know what?

Fuck it. I think I'm a good guy. I think I'm ultimately a stronger and better person for the things I've endured.

I've done terrible things, I've had terrible things done to me, and nothing now and nothing I do or is to come will ever really redeem or justify those things.

But that doesn't matter. I can move on from those things, acknowledge what good came of it, and decide to simply not care.

I wish I never had a drug problem, for example, but going through rehab also made me a stronger person than had I not, so I choose to see the positive in that.

You start retconing your own life and it's the most delicate fucking game of Jenga. Pretty much every good thing in your life you can follow the threads of causality back to be tied to something you regret.

You just have to accept that.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    What is a good TV show that the network that owns it has put online for viewing that streams?

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

I have a friend who did this. Spent a couple years in Spain. He went to Brandeis. This probably doesn't help you at all

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Yeah, but part of me knows that it is kind of a pipe dream and knows I probably lack the testicular fortitude to leave everything and everyone I know behind to teach in a foreign land.
    I'm sure you'd do fine - I don't think it's that hard. I know literally a dozen people who have spent time in Korea, Japan or China, and one in west Africa, in the past couple of years. Lots of different types of people too, and they managed.

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    What is a good TV show that the network that owns it has put online for viewing that streams?
    Comedy? Drama?

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2008

I found it very useful. But then I, like, went to class and paid attention.

I spent much of my high school time explaining to the teacher why they were wrong.

We need more schools that work the other way around.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Guys you're suppose to test out of a year of that shite using your incredible high school language education

My high school language education was incredible...

just not in the way that involved learning a lot of foreign language.

wazilla on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Man you don't have to sleep with them to teach them English.

ViolentChemistry on
This discussion has been closed.