As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Best Card Games at PAX

M374LxH34DM374LxH34D Registered User regular
edited May 2008 in PAX Archive
What are the best card games for pax?

M374LxH34D on

• Options
    LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I would say pretty much anything you can play on a table. ;)

I'm going to bring a Fluxx deck with me to pull out during downtimes.

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • Options
    CosmosGoddessCosmosGoddess Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Well there are your typical ccg's like Pokemon, Magic and World of Warcraft. I'll most likely bring a WoW deck or something, depending if I have nothing to do at 2am in the morning.

CosmosGoddess on
    enforceruserbarprime.png
  • Options
    PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I will be bringing a bunch of WOW cards.

PeasantDave on
  • Options
    M374LxH34DM374LxH34D Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Yeah, i have Pokemon, Wow, an d Magic. But i think i might leave the magic cards at home.

M374LxH34D on
  • Options
    slacktronslacktron Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    M374LxH34D wrote: »
    What are the best card games for pax?

Tenacious Games' The Spoils has had presence since the first PAX. The game uses a lot of the same conventions as Magic, but I like the setting and rules better.

The worst card game for PAX is that bastard who was playing this game called "three card Monty" just outside the convention hall. At first, I thought I was totally winning, and the next thing I knew my wallet was empty. That game sucks!

slacktron on
    slacktron_zombie_fighter_sig.jpg
  • Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    It's a trap!

No, but seriously, the Spoils is pretty fun, I got into it a little at last year's PAX and had some fun with it. It tosses a little bit of humor in as well. If they have another booth this year you can even stop by, get a demo, and some free cards. Sweet deal? Yes.

Otherwise, play some Munchkin. That's ALWAYS a good idea.

Kyanilis on
  • Options
    MegamaniacoMegamaniaco Madrid, Spain (again!)Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'll bring my old Legend of the 5 Rings Mantis Deck (Lotus Ed.) and my Brotherhood VS System Deck.

Just in case ^^

Megamaniaco on
    Steam ID: Megamaniaco // LoL summoner: Corcorigan (NA), Megamaniaco (EUW) // Hearthstone: Megamaniaco.2120

Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
  • Options
    MurphysParadoxMurphysParadox Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Man, I wish I still had my L5R deck (crab or naga... even though the first had no actual means of winning except by driving the other player to suicide via boredem and the second could only beat very badly made and even more badly played Ninja decks) or my Magic decks (what do you mean 160 cards is too many? That thing had like 5 infinite life combos... to bad I could never draw all of the cards I needed... but damn that thing would last through anything statis decks threw at me) Then again, the last time I played either was a good 6+ years back.

I'd always be up for Fluxx or Ninja Burger. Anyone else played ZOMBIES!!! (tile based with little plastic zombies) or Cuthulu Deathrace 9000 (or something like that... racecar card game with Cuthulu mythos)?

MurphysParadox on
    Murphy's Law: Whatever can go wrong will go wrong.
    Murphy's Paradox: The more you plan, the more that can go wrong. The less you plan, the less likely your plan will succeed.
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Ooh, I remember L5R! Are they still making cards for it? That was a really cool idea I thought.

As for me, I'm definitely bringing a crazy Magic deck or two (have to get some more modern cards first though =) ), and maybe a really sucky WoW deck (I like the card game, but can't afford to invest in both it and Magic, and Magic'll always have first dibs in my heart ;) ).

If I can get that game idea I was talking about in H/A going by then, I might bring some test cards for it if anyone's up for a round. Just to see if some of the ideas are workable.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    defaultprophetdefaultprophet Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Magic and Spoils seemed to be the main games going on last year, but WoW was fairly new. I didn't see too much Pokemon, but I'm sure there were people playing somewhere.

I'm thinking about getting into the Spoils so I hope they have more packs in the schwag bag. Last year I spent most of my time in panels. This year, I want to visit some of the smaller meeting rooms and rock some games.

defaultprophet on
  • Options
    AccalonAccalon Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'll definatly be bringing my Magic cards this year. A friend of mine had a great time in one the tournaments last year and I'm looking forward to getting a chance to play one.

With Shadowmoor out in a few days, I have no idea what the formats going to be playing like in August but the new set seems like it has some fun new mechanics. Untap cards are sweet.

Accalon on
    PAX 2007 Omegathon Champeen

*Proud member of the Photoshop Heroes*
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'll definitely be bringing my Hunter-cheese WoW deck, but ALSO my poker set. I hope to brighten up a few parties with some Texas Hold'em.

Imperfect on
  • Options
    ShadeShade Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    anyone up for some hold em?

Shade on
  • Options
    AccalonAccalon Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Always, Shade. I've just recently started playing in some local tournaments and I can't get enough of it

Accalon on
    PAX 2007 Omegathon Champeen

*Proud member of the Photoshop Heroes*
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Christ, i gotta get back into that. It's a pity that deposits are absolutely HELL to make.

Imperfect on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Can we do Hold'em for non-monetary goods? I don't know... like Hold'em for swag? =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    There's no limit to the things you can bet with in Hold'em.

Though, as I have an inkling that the vast majority of PAX attendees will be male, we may want to pre-emptively put the kibosh on strip Hold'em.

Imperfect on
  • Options
    HotSakeHotSake Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Imperfect wrote: »
    There's no limit to the things you can bet with in Hold'em.

Though, as I have an inkling that the vast majority of PAX attendees will be male, we may want to pre-emptively put the kibosh on strip Hold'em.
    Well there goes my idea.

HotSake on
    hotsakepaxsigbl0.png
  • Options
    aragorn18aragorn18 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'll be there with as much WoW as I can haul with me.

aragorn18 on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I will definitely be interested in learning how to play WoW and Spoils - though I might just learn them in the next few months.

MurphysParadox on
    Murphy's Paradox: The more you plan, the more that can go wrong. The less you plan, the less likely your plan will succeed.
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Mmm, the new Shadowmoor set for Magic is Crazy Delicious. Like Dr. Pepper and Red Vines. I'll be bringing the new (inexpensive! Yea!) elf deck I've been working on over at Critical Failures.

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    That would be Mr. Pibb and Red Vines... http://www.hulu.com/watch/1397/saturday-night-live-snl-digital-short-lazy-sunday#s-p2-st-i2 I have yet to figure out why I find that skit so funny, but I do. I also recommend Iran So Far (also on hulu.com).

For someone wanting to start playing WoW, which starter deck should I grab first?

MurphysParadox on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I fail at the internet! D'oh! =(

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Don't feel bad - Dr. Pepper is functionally quite similar to Mr. Pibb... it just happened to go to college for a lot longer.

MurphysParadox on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    lol, poor undereducated Mr. Pibb, always sitting in the shadows. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    They went to the same college, you know. But Dr. Pepper was the bookhound and Mr. Pibb got married and dropped out. Today, they're both respected in their fields, but Mr. Pibb always envies Dr. Pepper's higher salary, and Dr. Pepper envies Mr. Pibb's married life.

But then again, Dr. Pepper is a rich playboy most of the time. These bouts of envy only last a short while and are solved by taking another model to bed.

Imperfect on
  • Options
    ShadeShade Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I gave in again today and bought magic cards. after being clean for a little over a year...I feel dirty.

Shade on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Aye, I just recently did the same thing. Ugh =) But it's fun too. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Man, I've not played in years - I think one of the last things I bought was a starter set (or several boosters) of the, uh, 6th edition (maybe 5th?) Damn, I don't even know anymore, it has been too long.

MurphysParadox on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Aye, that has been a while. Take a look though, you might like the new stuff! There's a lot more mechanics than there used to be (which makes it, to me, a bit more complicated)... but they also simplified some things too like how spells resolve and such, which generally makes the whole game more intuitive.

Plus if you like multi-color decks, the last few years have seen the release of many sets that make doing and playing multi-colored less painful. Back in the older days, you paid a hefty price for having more than one color. These days it's much more bearable, which spices things up a lot.

VThornheart on
This discussion has been closed.