As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Plugging a PS2 into a Monitor

SueveSueve Registered User regular
edited April 2008 in Games and Technology
I have a PS2 with VGA cables, and now, a 15 inch computer monitor with a generic blue headed cable.

Can I connect these two? Do people here do something similar to that?

Sueve on

• Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Which VGA cable do you have? You mean a VGA box, that takes a 480i signal from the PS2 and deinterlaces and converts it, or do you mean the VGA cable that came with the Linux kit?

If it's option A, it'll work but not look that great. If it's B, then you're fucked: it only works on some monitors (ones that support SoG) and doesn't work with games.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    All I have are these 2 things:

vga2.jpg

and

Playstation_video_cables.jpg

Sueve on
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    if you have a video card with video in you could run through that.

computer would have to be turned on and capture application open.

sound is another separate issue

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    That's not a 'VGA cable' for your PS2. It's a composite video cable.

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    That one at the bottom there isn't a VGA cable. You said you had a PS2 with VGA cables, and I got confused.

There was an official PS2-display-port-to-VGA cable released with the Linux kit but it only works on some monitors (it uses synch-on-green rather than the usual way VGA handles synch) and doesn't work with most games.

The thing is, a LOT of games on the PS2 are 480i-only, and VGA can't technically carry an interlaced signal.

You're going to need a deinterlacing device that takes in a signal from composite or s-video cables (please, for the love of god, use s-video!) and outputs VGA (probably in 640x480), and I guarantee you'll get some input lag with it. It might also be expensive. And it won't look all that great. But it's probably your only option.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I just ordered this, http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-86-49-en-70-2707.html.
    Could be what your looking for. I would comment on it, but I'm still waiting for it to arrive.
    I got it because I'm sick of MGS3 looking like shit on my HDTV.

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Haikira wrote: »
    I just ordered this, http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-86-49-en-70-2707.html.
    Could be what your looking for. I would comment on it, but I'm still waiting for it to arrive.
    I got it because I'm sick of MGS3 looking like shit on my HDTV.

It's going to look just as shitty on your HDTV, and you'll have more input lag.

Right now, your HDTV is taking a 480i signal and converting it to whatever the native resolution of the TV is.

With this, the box would take the 480i signal and convert it to 480p over VGA, which your TV would then convert to whatever the native resolution of the TV is.

Note that in both cases, the game is being rendered in 480i, so you're fucked either way. The source image is the same with or without that box, it's just going through more (time-consuming) steps first.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    shit

well that sucks

Sueve on
  • Options
    KerdosKerdos Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Anyone have any experience working with the Kworld PlusTV TVBox Blazing Orange 1920ex?
    http://www.kworld.com.tw/product_overview.aspx?P_ID=228

I have a pair of nice monitors, but no televisions, an old PS2 lying around, and an itch to play some Disgaea. I usually use a TV tuner (ATI 650 USB) to watch TV, but the input lag is far too high to actually play a game. Even in Disgaea its frustrating, and turns Burnout into a sick joke.

Kerdos on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    This thread is seriously depressing me. Now wanting to sell my 40 gig ps3, and trade up to a 60gig.

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    This thread is seriously depressing me. Now wanting to sell my 40 gig ps3, and trade up to a 60gig.

huh

Sueve on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Sueve wrote: »

huh

Since there doesn't seem to be a decent solution to make ps2 look less ass'y on my tv. The 60gig has BC for ps2.

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png