As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX Keynote annouced as Ken Levine

• ashridahashridah Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    ashridah wrote: »
    Also, I second the vote for Ben 'Yahtzee' Croshaw. The drawbacks are that his style includes way more expletives than we would probably want for such a family friendly event :). That and he lives in Australia, and Airline tickets == Expensive.

Plus, given his ravaging of SSBB this week, he's likely to get lynched by Nintendo fanboys when getting off the plane.

family friendly? I think you're thinking of the wrong PAX. We're talking about an event where Tycho admitted to "cockthirsty" being his favorite swear.

Uh. Hence the smily? </backpedals>

ashridah on
  • KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Actually now that I think about it, having Seth Green do it would actually be pretty cool.

But seriously, what's cooler than a ZOMBIE? Particularly if it's Gary Gygax?

Kyanilis on
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Also, I second the vote for Ben 'Yahtzee' Croshaw. The drawbacks are that his style includes way more expletives than we would probably want for such a family friendly event :). That and he lives in Australia, and Airline tickets == Expensive.

Plus, given his ravaging of SSBB this week, he's likely to get lynched by Nintendo fanboys when getting off the plane.

family friendly? I think you're thinking of the wrong PAX. We're talking about an event where Tycho admitted to "cockthirsty" being his favorite swear.

I have my doubts that he would be good at talking in front of a crowd. All his ramblings seem scripted and cut together in post processing.

No doubt he would be funny but he just doesnt strike me as an impromptu speaker

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • s7arbucks7arbuck Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Steve Wiebe, or seth green....hell Billy L Mitchell (just kidding)

i just though the liming was for EARTH WEEKbut what do i know, i haven't used coloring on here before

s7arbuck on
  • LyanthLyanth Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I totally support Joss Weadon. But I'm still not sure he's the MOST awesome we could find. We can find more awesome, right?

And I'm a browncoat, I swear!

Lyanth on
    [SIGPIC]I'm not backing down[/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2008
    BigRed wrote: »
    I have my doubts that he would be good at talking in front of a crowd. All his ramblings seem scripted and cut together in post processing.

A Keynote isn't really impromptu, it's known ahead of time that it's coming. Q&A might be more random and more difficult (he may just end up insulting everyone who asks a question :).

Plenty of time to script for a keynote though. That said, I agree, he probably would need to alter his style a little. The bigger question is can he do it for an hour or so :)

ashridah on
  • BrokenAngelBrokenAngel Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Okay okay, if Zombie Gary Gygax is a no go I'm putting in for either Ben "Yahtzee" Crowshaw or Seth Green. Both would be hella awesome in my opinion <3

BrokenAngel on
    k9mk2carn.pngeleventhdoc2carn.png *Proud Head Girl of Slytherin & Team Red*
  • SnickersSnickers Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Kyanilis wrote: »
    I place my vote for the zombie of Gary Gygax.

Seconded.

Thirded.

PS: Seth Green, Yahtzee, or Joss Whedon, any of them would be awesome.

Snickers on
    <@frellnik&gt; and suddenly, Snickers
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    We use the liming a lot in the H&A forum, but to me it's used to make sure that the OP sees some extremely important/insightful information that might otherwise be lost in a sea of not-as-good advice.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

I have to agree with BigRed on this one. I doubt that he is going to be that exciting in a long format speech. But you never know, I am actually interested in to see what he thinks of what he has become and how he is coping with it.

Pic Unrelated:

murph-commidant-2.jpg

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • yoshamanoyoshamano The fuck is this. The fuck was that. Marshall, Soviet MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    For those that followed the Bruce Campbell thread. I talked with Tom Sullivan about if he thought Bruce would do something like a keynote for PAX, and he said absolutely, if you're willing to pay him. I didn't flat out ask him how much he thought it would be, but the vibe was somewhere in the 5 figures ballpark.

yoshamano on
    pa_forums_sig.jpg
  • TwinkieTwinkie Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Qs23 wrote: »

I have to agree with BigRed on this one. I doubt that he is going to be that exciting in a long format speech. But you never know, I am actually interested in to see what he thinks of what he has become and how he is coping with it.

Pic Unrelated:

murph-commidant-2.jpg

Mmm, I dunno... My sound isn't working properly right now, but I remember seeing Yahtzee himself in the second half of his "Uncharted: Drake's Fortune" review, and his conversation didn't appear spliced then.

Edit: Can't make the "limey" joke, in this case. :(

Twinkie on
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Twinkie wrote: »
    Qs23 wrote: »

Pic Unrelated:

murph-commidant-2.jpg

Mmm, I dunno... My sound isn't working properly right now, but I remember seeing Yahtzee himself in the second half of his "Uncharted: Drake's Fortune" review, and his conversation didn't appear spliced then.

Edit: Can't make the "limey" joke, in this case. :(

I know i can talk fast for 30seconds. Id like to see him do 1h :P

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • slacktronslacktron Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    yoshamano wrote: »
    For those that followed the Bruce Campbell thread. I talked with Tom Sullivan about if he thought Bruce would do something like a keynote for PAX, and he said absolutely, if you're willing to pay him. I didn't flat out ask him how much he thought it would be, but the vibe was somewhere in the 5 figures ballpark.

Five figures? That's it? Cripes, I'll take up a collection from my friends and see if we can get him to keynote our July 4th barbeque.

slacktron on
    slacktron_zombie_fighter_sig.jpg
  • Oz K. FodrotskiOz K. Fodrotski Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

I think the kicker is not whether he can talk fast for that length of time (Zero Punctuation reviews last around five minutes, anyway, an hour's worth might make my brain short-circuit), but whether he can be engaging and amusing for that length.

I suspect he can, fast-talky or no.

Oz K. Fodrotski on
    edited April 2008

I think the kicker is not whether he can talk fast for that length of time (Zero Punctuation reviews last around five minutes, anyway, an hour's worth might make my brain short-circuit), but whether he can be engaging and amusing for that length.

I suspect he can, fast-talky or no.

Well, that's true. it might be that having someone stand up and insult game developers and sheeple for an hour straight might just invoke heckling via kangaroo comments.

Or he could decide to kill us all as we represent some aspect of gaming he doesn't like (namely, the people)

I'm pretty sure that'd be just as funny though.

ashridah on
  • MetaverseNomadMetaverseNomad Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I vote for Yahtzee!!!

But Joss Whedon would also be really awesome.

MetaverseNomad on
  • s7arbucks7arbuck Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    comedy central presents the roast of video games
    staring: Ben 'Yahtzee' Croshaw!

s7arbuck on
  • ploogleploogle Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    GLADoS or Jonathan Coulton, ftw.

ploogle on
    If you can't handle me at my Worcestershire, you don't deserve me at my Bestershire.
  • HighfireHighfire Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Mike Judge

Highfire on
    edited April 2008
    ploogle wrote: »
    GLADoS or Jonathan Coulton, ftw.

Haven't they already done Jonathan Coulton?

Jonathan Coulton?

ashridah on
  • DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    How about Reggie Fils-Aime? Head of Nintendo of America and a GREAT passionate public speaker.

Dreamwriter on
  • Cold Salmon and HatredCold Salmon and Hatred __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    Robin Walker

Cold Salmon and Hatred on
    edited April 2008
    Robin Walker

this robin walker?

ashridah on
  • NikolisNikolis Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'll throw in a second vote for Jeff Green. He has the experience on his side for some neat stories and I honestly think he has a great speaking voice. Plus he seems like a genuinely nice and totally rad person.

Nikolis on
    Nklus.png
  • Methos645Methos645 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I would consider the following: Kevin Smith, Seth Green, Seth MacFarlane.

Methos645 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Cold Salmon and HatredCold Salmon and Hatred __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    Robin Walker

this robin walker?

yessir

Cold Salmon and Hatred on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Yahtzee would be excellent.

LewieP on
  • defaultprophetdefaultprophet Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm sure the flight from Australia to Seattle is awesome*.

*Not awesome.

defaultprophet on
    edited April 2008

*Not awesome.

He would be extra cranky.

LewieP on
  • strifemasterstrifemaster Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Yahtzee or Joss would be incredible

strifemaster on
    edited April 2008
    LewieP wrote: »

*Not awesome.

He made it to GDC alright though

strifemaster on
    edited April 2008
    LewieP wrote: »

*Not awesome.

He made it to GDC alright though

Uh, he sent a video to GDC, I don't know that he was actually there, was he?

He HAS been to valve HQ however. And as a person who has actual shares in the experience of flying from Australia to Seattle, it's not terrible. Just don't give him half an hour to get from the airport to his keynote... :)

And give him plenty of alcohol.

ashridah on
    edited April 2008
    Extra cranky would be good.

LewieP on
  • mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Yeah, I could start doling out infractions for people abusing the color options

I am sorry but this has to be one of the funniest things I have ever read on a forum.

How dare you guys abuse the color options! Colored text is a privilege and not a right!

He he he.

Ok I am done now.

Bruce Campbell would be totally epic. Vote Bruce for PAX 2008!

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • Darkblade_1Darkblade_1 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    Yatzhee.

Who the hell said anything about impromptu speaking? of course it's scripted.. it's a keynote address.. you don't just.. wing it.

Darkblade_1 on
    iveseenvivstits.gif
    You're drawn to my eccentric Brawl Code: 4596 9143 4529
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited April 2008
    Maybe you don't

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited April 2008
    10 votes for Yahtzee so far

strifemaster on
    edited April 2008
    Oh yeah, my second vote would go to Charlie Brooker.

LewieP on
  • Sleepy OneSleepy One Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Seth Green

Good lord, I'd love to hang w/ this man at PAX. People would go crazy too if you got Kevin Smith or Glados.

TBH Seth MacFarlane would not be my #1 choice for a speaker, I mean family guy has become a little too mainstream and cliche.

Lets get Phil Lamarr, he's voiced video games and is Hermies in Futurama. A god among us men.

Sleepy One on
This discussion has been closed.