As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

OH SHIT

2»

• Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    Warehouse work was the worst job I've ever had.

No headphones because it's a safety hazard

No music with speakers because it distracts/annoys the other workers.

No chairs because...I have no idea why we couldn't get a goddamn chair or a stool or something

so I'd just stand there staring at the wall as people passed boxes down the line. Then I'd tape them up, put them on a pallet, and wrap the pallet. Repeat. All day long.

Fuck that job. It wasn't as bad when I got moved to shipping and recieving, but it was still pretty dull.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    ShadeShade Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    the dough wrote: »
    Well you live in Spokane right?

Meth Lab!

:|

Shade on
  • Options
    TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Well I'm quitting my job 3 months before PAX and working at a professional showjumping/dressage stable in Oregon for lessons in exchange. I'm making no money but these lessons would cost more than anything I could ever earn

Trillian on

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Move to Western WA and get a job at one of the many fine establishments around here. I know that the AT&T call centers in Bothell are hiring right now and we have a union backing us.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited April 2008
    Bot Hell? is that a real place?

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited April 2008
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    Bot Hell? is that a real place?

Fuck yeah. We can't all live in Beacon Hill, or Redmond, or some other nice place....

That_Guy on
  • Options
    MurphysParadoxMurphysParadox Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Well, I have it on good evidence that Android Hell is a real place... so I suspect Bot Hell can exist too.

MurphysParadox on
    Murphy's Law: Whatever can go wrong will go wrong.
    Murphy's Paradox: The more you plan, the more that can go wrong. The less you plan, the less likely your plan will succeed.
  • Options
    nearlysobernearlysober Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Move to Western WA and get a job at one of the many fine establishments around here. I know that the AT&T call centers in Bothell are hiring right now and we have a union backing us.
    So they eventually went union? I worked at AT&T Wireless at the internal IT Helpdesk before the Cingular buyout... that corporate buyout was a fun stressful experience to go through... but at least I got a free trip to Atlanta out of it. After a few months of Cingular in control I bolted though... heard they're outsourcing the IT Helpdesk so I guess they didn't unionize.

But anyway... AT&T was a great company to work for. If you're willing to put up with 12-18 months of working as a customer service rep... and you're a good employee and make it through that initial gauntlet without going insane (the customers can be quite brutal I hear)... you have opportunity to move into more specialized feilds since they do a lot of promoting from within. My buddy started as a phone rep there like 4 years ago, and now he creates training courses for them.

nearlysober on
  • Options
    AnngaricusAnngaricus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    It's coming up on prime time for landscapers I know you said you cant garden but if you can do what people tell you and lift heavy things you should be able to get in somewhere. Same with construction. It's brutal but pays well.
    Other than that I second the temp jobs thats what I have.

Anngaricus on
    Something more creative to be here shortly.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Anngaricus wrote: »
    It's coming up on prime time for landscapers I know you said you cant garden but if you can do what people tell you and lift heavy things you should be able to get in somewhere. Same with construction. It's brutal but pays well.
    Other than that I second the temp jobs thats what I have.

hurt my back about a month ago. so heavy lifty is out for another few months(it still hurts to lie down)

Shade on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited April 2008
    Shade wrote: »
    hurt my back about a month ago. so heavy lifty is out for the rest of my life

don't kid yourself

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited April 2008
    That_Guy wrote: »
    So they eventually went union? I worked at AT&T Wireless at the internal IT Helpdesk before the Cingular buyout... that corporate buyout was a fun stressful experience to go through... but at least I got a free trip to Atlanta out of it. After a few months of Cingular in control I bolted though... heard they're outsourcing the IT Helpdesk so I guess they didn't unionize.

But anyway... AT&T was a great company to work for. If you're willing to put up with 12-18 months of working as a customer service rep... and you're a good employee and make it through that initial gauntlet without going insane (the customers can be quite brutal I hear)... you have opportunity to move into more specialized feilds since they do a lot of promoting from within. My buddy started as a phone rep there like 4 years ago, and now he creates training courses for them.

Yeah, all of IT was outsourced to IBM recently. I am still in the "call center" group (offline team though) and under the CWA. I have about a year and 9 months under my belt and hope to get to something bigger and better in 7 or 8 months.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    SnickersSnickers Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    hurt my back about a month ago. so heavy lifty is out for the rest of my life

don't kid yourself

What Moe said. Back injuries = bad juju.

Snickers on
    <@frellnik&gt; and suddenly, Snickers
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    And RE-EMPLOYED....as a gas station attendent at fred meyer......

Shade on
  • Options
    ashridahashridah Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    woo, congrats.

ashridah on
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Cool, it's a start at least! Phew =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    the doughthe dough Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    And RE-EMPLOYED....as a gas station attendent at fred meyer......

I'll remember that next time I'm in Spokane.

the dough on
  • Options
    DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    They got Fred Meyer stores with gas stations?! Around here I've only seen gas stations at Safeway and Costco, and of course convenience stores.

Gratz!

Dreamwriter on
  • Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yes they do. Not the ones in Seattle though (unless there are more than the Greenwood and Ballard locations that I'm thinking of).

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    They got Fred Meyer stores with gas stations?! Around here I've only seen gas stations at Safeway and Costco, and of course convenience stores.

Gratz!

actually the gas station is currently being built, they're giving me busy work instore till then......

Shade on
This discussion has been closed.