As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Experimental new feature - inline youTube

• Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    This thread is still broken, but this [chat] thread appears OK after someone quoted.

EDIT: Nevermind. The spoiler just had text in it.

Satan. on
  • Cold Salmon and HatredCold Salmon and Hatred __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    As a question, does this effect video links in sigs

I haven't seen anything yet but I also haven't seen anyone with a youtube link in their sig

wait nevermind rank has a shitload of them in his sig

and not one is loading

Cold Salmon and Hatred on
  • Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Weirdest psychological forum effect ever. This whole section feels like a quoted screenshot.

I'm posting in the past.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I actually thought this entire thing was a quoted screenshot, but then I noticed Rank's Animated avatar and scared the shit out of me. :O

Ramius, awesome feature. I just went into the Youtube thread in SE++ and it all worked fine without any major slow downs or anything, though I am on cable internets, so I didn't really expect it to dip down anyways. What happens if it is a broken Youtube link? Like if the author deletes the video?

Lucky Cynic on
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited April 2008
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Maybe the problem was quoting a spoilered video?
    Satan. wrote: »
    Ramius wrote: »

Didn't seem to load until I opened the spoiler.

Did this make it worse?

Also, I would very much appreciate an opt-out.

FunkyWaltDogg on
    edited April 2008
    Yep.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Cold Salmon and HatredCold Salmon and Hatred __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    bahahahahaha

this is beautiful

I can't help but wonder how far it can go but I am not willing to try it

Cold Salmon and Hatred on
    edited April 2008
    Having successfully recreated the issue once, I'm satisfied.

FunkyWaltDogg on
    edited April 2008
    Yeah, quoting an embedded video does it. No one wake up LewieP, he'll just come in and fuck it all up

Satan. on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2008
    I think the forum just hates bald singy dykes, is the problem

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
    edited April 2008
    I actually thought this entire thing was a quoted screenshot, but then I noticed Rank's Animated avatar and scared the shit out of me. :O

Ramius, awesome feature. I just went into the Youtube thread in SE++ and it all worked fine without any major slow downs or anything, though I am on cable internets, so I didn't really expect it to dip down anyways. What happens if it is a broken Youtube link? Like if the author deletes the video?

A couple videos I've tried to embed suddenly didn't work, and they just go dark once you hit play with the 'This video is no longer available' warning.

Satan. on
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
    edited April 2008
    Good, no one quote him

Satan. on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2008

A couple videos I've tried to embed suddenly didn't work, and they just go dark once you hit play with the 'This video is no longer available' warning.
    yeah, that happens with just about any inline script

it's normal

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • MarsMars Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Yeah, you're definitely going to have to make it an option to disable this, at least in certain cases.

The link below is why.

NSF56K!

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=50566

Mars on
    edited April 2008

yeah, that happens with just about any inline script

it's normal

I know, I was just explaining what happens :P

Satan. on
  • RamiusRamius Joined: July 19, 2000 Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited April 2008
    Mars wrote: »
    Yeah, you're definitely going to have to make it an option to disable this, at least in certain cases.

The link below is why.

NSF56K!

Google video obviously doesn't play nice with being inlined, so I will make google opt-in only, by requiring the use of tags, like or somesuch.

Ramius on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    Can you have the forum strip out the vid in a quoted portion of text?

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Yeah, quoting an embedded video does it. No one wake up LewieP, he'll just come in and fuck it all up

You sure it wasn't thespoilered video?

Does this work for anythin other than Youtube?

Peewi on
    edited April 2008
    Peewi wrote: »

You sure it wasn't thespoilered video?

Does this work for anythin other than Youtube?

At the time (now that this is on a new page for me, we're OK) that's what new links were doing.

Satan. on
    edited April 2008
    OK, the quoted spoiler thing is kinda fixed. Unfortunately, the fix makes it kinda broke as well, but I can live with this breakage more than the other, at least for now.

Here's how it is broke. Notice this spoiler doesn't contain a video:
    notice this one does:
    Quote my post and you will see the only difference is the 2nd one has a line-feed after the spoiler tag. Incidentally, this is true of all bare-urls in a spoiler, and has been for a long time, see:
    The bug which causes this is buried pretty deep in vBulletin, so I'm not sure I can fix the underlying bug to make automatic link parsing work when a bare-url is up against a non-standard tag like spoiler (note that it works fine next to the quote tag or the indent tag, that is because those tags are hardcoded into the link parsing regex). I can probably do something about the strange ways the non-linkified url interacts with the inlining code, but not tonight.

Ramius on
    edited April 2008
    note that this also means that if you use the advanced posting screen (not quick-reply) and then you uncheck the "Automatically parse links in text" checkbox, you can post youtube URLs which will not get inlined, but they also won't be clickable:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RCUBxgdKZ_Y

if, while that checkbox is off, you wrap it in a url tag, then it will get inlined:

I understand the desire to allow the person posting to "turn off" inlining of video for their post, but I haven't yet found a clear path to doing that, unfortunately. Allowing people to opt-out of all inlining should definitely be achievable, though.

Ramius on
  • thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    cool stuff

thanks ramius

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
    edited April 2008
    Ramius wrote: »
    Mars wrote: »

The link below is why.

NSF56K!

Google video obviously doesn't play nice with being inlined, so I will make google opt-in only, by requiring the use of tags, like or somesuch.

Someone else could maybe verify, but I believe I've fixed the issue you hit on that thread. I added a flashvar to the google videos to make them behave more like youTube (loads nothing until it is scrolled into view, then loads just a screenshot from the video). Under the default configuration, it seemed to be preloading the whole video. Or, that is, all of them.

Ramius on
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Just wanna put in my two cents on wanting an opt-out for this.

ASimPerson on
  • LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    No one wake up LewieP, he'll just come in and fuck it all up

Rats! I wanted to report this in the awesome thread, but I've not posted enough times to be allowed to! D:

Satan, have I understood you correctly, in that you want to access a RR? If so, click here:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=46666&page=14

Post 329, second image. If not, ignore this.

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

I unticked "Automatically parse links in text", and it seems to disable it in the preview.

edit: Works in the post too. :D
    edit2: And then I reread the page and realized this is already mentioned.
    edit3: But it doesn't seem to work after the post has been edited, because I'm seeing it even with the box unchecked.
    edit4: I untick the box, but it's checked again when I go to edit it again.
    edit5: Probably has something to do with the url tags still being there

MKR on
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    this might have already been mentioned but having all these quoted Youtube videos on a page can be a serious performance concern.

On the first page of the SE++ YouTube thread alone Safari was taking up 35-40% CPU.

I think they shouldn't load up in a quote tree.

Jasconius on
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    Just wanna put in my two cents on wanting an opt-out for this.

Yeah, me too. Flash on Linux is a pile of bullshit and chips right now, and having multiple Youtube videos open in my browser at once slows me waaaaaaay the hell down.

Daedalus on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited April 2008
    Knob wrote: »
    I like it, but I'm worried about work surfing. I wouldn't mind the op-out option.

the videos don't autoplay

No, but they still load.

I don't think they do.

Tube on
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I like it, but I'm worried about work surfing. I wouldn't mind the op-out option.

No, but they still load.

I don't think they do.

They start up another instance of the Flash plugin, which is annoying in and of itself.

Daedalus on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    Here is a thought, but I have no idea how annoying it would be to do:

Can the vids just have a static icon somwhat simaler to a play button that, when clicked, popup a window much like that little window that shows the less common emoticona?

Those that want opt out and opt in should both be happy, and you can easily go on to further posts/pages while the vid is playing.

Probably too hard to do.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
    edited April 2008
    No one wake up LewieP, he'll just come in and fuck it all up

Rats! I wanted to report this in the awesome thread, but I've not posted enough times to be allowed to! D:

Satan, have I understood you correctly, in that you want to access a RR? If so, click here:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=46666&page=14

Post 329, second image. If not, ignore this.

Why are you so awesome

Satan. on
    edited April 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »

No, but they still load.

I don't think they do.

They start up another instance of the Flash plugin, which is annoying in and of itself.

Yeah, that's more like what I was getting at with the second post. Safari chokes on a lot of dicks, but Flash's dick seems to be the largest and most veiny.

Satan. on
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I am pretty sure with the correct javascript in place instead of simply loading up two dozen instances of the YouTube player on the page we can actually configure a button where upon clicked loads up the video without redirecting the user to YouTube.

That would be way better and the functionality would be largely the same.

It's my assumption that the goal here to just not open up a ton of windows for youtube, rather than save clicks.

Idling in Safari on the Chrono Trigger LP first page:

cpu.png

Jasconius on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Has in been suggested that the OP could have the ability to toggle whether or not to allow this? Imbedding YouTube has basically killed the first post in the Rock Band thread. It used to be formatted for easy reading and now it's a mess. Not to mention that it takes quite some time to load the previews.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    This seems like a neat enough idea, but I think I'd prefer an opt out too.

Quid on
  • Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Has in been suggested that the OP could have the ability to toggle whether or not to allow this? Imbedding YouTube has basically killed the first post in the Rock Band thread. It used to be formatted for easy reading and now it's a mess. Not to mention that it takes quite some time to load the previews.

I suggested that, yeah. I figure it would additionally be really useful where mods could just turn off embedding in a thread if it was being abused.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I really want some [vid] tags or something, because it gets very annoying to have to scroll around so much just because someone linked a few youtube clips. The feature is awesome, though. Especially with the flash-blocker add-on. :D

Aldo on