As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ikariam: a new era of Pax Arcadia arises

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    remember when you only needed wood to upgrade things?

Edit: Play on Delta. We have core islands and a [strike]3 person alliance.[/strike] 4 person top 20 alliance.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    KingthlayerKingthlayer Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'll make an account on delta tomorrow.

Kingthlayer on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    remember when you only needed wood to upgrade things?

Edit: Play on Delta. We have core islands and a [strike]3 person alliance.[/strike] 4 person top 20 alliance.

good god, it's like the wild west!

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    CamuiCamui Sogekidan Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Beta Server

Camui @ 48:85 / Raftel / Sulfur
    **Camui @ 47:85 / Syrup Village / Marble
    **Camui @ 48:84 / Fuschia Town / Crystal

I'm here! =(

Camui on
  • Options
    SonelanSonelan Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So I've decided to start attacking this dude on a couple islands near me. Low military score but his buildings and tech are way higher then mine. I am curious to see how this turns out since I have no navy to speak of and few military units

EDIT: Ok I lost but I can't figure out how the hell i lost. The battle report isn't very helpful as the only thing it says is town wall 1%.

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    what did you attack with

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I blockaded it and attacked with 4 swordsmen with a spy inside.

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    it's possible you were overwhelmed by the natural defenses

spies won't help unless it's prolonged combat. Breaches can't happen on the first round of combat.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

spies won't help unless it's prolonged combat. Breaches can't happen on the first round of combat.

Heh so I got beat by a level 1 wall?

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Sonelan wrote: »

That doesn't sound right.

devoir on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    devoir wrote: »

That doesn't sound right.
    Only thing I can think of since I checked is garrison after and he had no units there.

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Are your dudes perchance suicide bombers?

Kingthlayer on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    then yeah the wall/town hall defeated you

It was probably astoundingly unlikely but swordsmen are weak enough to get knocked off by a wall.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I dunno but I just sent some phalanx to attack the town again.

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    don't do that

don't ever do that

Kingthlayer on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Eh I have 5 more in the queue and all my swordsmen are busy attacking other towns.

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    It's just horribly inefficient. Phalanx cost more to create and more in upkeep, but swordsmen get the better attack rating.

Kingthlayer on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    phalanx will never be defeated by natural defenses though, they have enough armor to over come it.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Goddamn, my point spread sucks compared to some of you guys. Incidentally, heads up, there's another free slot in NPAX right now, more incoming early tomorrow looks like.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    phalanx will never be defeated by natural defenses though, they have enough armor to over come it.

There is that to take into account. I guess I'm just spoiled from having a sulfur island.

Kingthlayer on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Goddamn, my point spread sucks compared to some of you guys. Incidentally, heads up, there's another free slot in NPAX right now, more incoming early tomorrow looks like.

I've always been a numberchasing back to the days I used to MUD, and seeing as how I'm not that big on pillaging, I think that's the path I'll be taking. :P

devoir on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I have one too but my income isn't high enough to support huge amounts of men.

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

It will be if you keep pillaging. :P

Darklyre on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Darklyre wrote: »

It will be if you keep pillaging. :P

that reminds me, need to give some inactives a night cap

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Our NPAX alliance policies are pretty simple:

Please do your research before attacking another alliance - check out how many people belong/how big some of their players are/how many of their allies are near you (us)/alliance score etc - and if they look like a bunch of poorly managed jerks with under utilised resources and not much in the way of numbers or militaries then go crazy.

Oh and remember while we might seem tough there is a huge difference in power between say a #40 alliance and say #20 - they have submarines/robots/shit that flies - our lads still hold spears and swords.

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Let's start the Megazord research guys!

Kris on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So hey, you guys remember Éljúðnir (82,69) and the spy I sent that way?

Yeah, turned out he had a 75% chance of discovery on his already large town and my spy stopped responding to me. I have the idea that the guy has a high-lev hideout. :P

Aldo on
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Kalkino wrote: »

Please do your research before attacking another alliance - check out how many people belong/how big some of their players are/how many of their allies are near you (us)/alliance score etc - and if they look like a bunch of poorly managed jerks with under utilised resources and not much in the way of numbers or militaries then go crazy.

Oh and remember while we might seem tough there is a huge difference in power between say a #40 alliance and say #20 - they have submarines/robots/shit that flies - our lads still hold spears and swords.

Yeah, but we have a shitton more players than they do, take a look at the average points of the other alliances in the top 100. Notice something? Our average points is pitifully low compared to them. What this means, is that while we are no where near the capability to fight other major alliances right now, our strength cap is way higher than theirs, since there is a relative hardcap in how strong any one player can get (hint, it's when building another colony or level of your town hall starts taking weeks). Furthermore, the rate of growth our players will show is going to be higher than the vets, we'll get to subs and steam tanks before they get to anything better (Not that there is anything better really).

With that out of the way, I agree with Kalkino, try to avoid pissing off any major alliances, but if it's an alliance of chumps, feel free to wang away.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    DeadlySherpaDeadlySherpa Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Alright so guys i'm really confused.

There's this guy on my island that backstabbed me and I levelled his defenses and pillaged him for it.

For a while he was at 0 but he started building up again. He has no colonies but it says he's got a military score of 6k, total score 300.

I've sent in spies a few times checking his garrison but the reports tell me he has no mans and no fleet
    i've checked several times, and lost 3 spies so far trying to figure out if he's sent everyone out pillaging but every time it comes up nada. I lost my spies trying for the "fleet movement" mission which i thought give me some insight.

Is there any way for a spy to get a wrong report, or is there a glitch or something? i'm really confused here.

Do barracks count towards total military might? His is level 7, with a level six town.

DeadlySherpa on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    ZarcathZarcath Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Alright so guys i'm really confused.

There's this guy on my island that backstabbed me and I levelled his defenses and pillaged him for it.

For a while he was at 0 but he started building up again. He has no colonies but it says he's got a military score of 6k, total score 300.

I've sent in spies a few times checking his garrison but the reports tell me he has no mans and no fleet
    i've checked several times, and lost 3 spies so far trying to figure out if he's sent everyone out pillaging but every time it comes up nada. I lost my spies trying for the "fleet movement" mission which i thought give me some insight.

Is there any way for a spy to get a wrong report, or is there a glitch or something? i'm really confused here.

Do barracks count towards total military might? His is level 7, with a level six town.

You sure he has no colonies? He doesn't have a palace/Governor's?

Zarcath on
  • Options
    DeadlySherpaDeadlySherpa Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    no palace, no governor's residence. And his score is about right for the buildings he has.

i'll check his garrison again

edit- oh well this time he's got stuff

lol 50 slingers four swordsmen and two phalanx.

and a level one wall, level six town hall.

I should taunt him and see if he attempts to attack me with all of his 1000 gold reserve.

DeadlySherpa on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    AkinosAkinos Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Doh, before I saw this thread I just invested the last week or two on the Delta server... :(

Would it be ridiculous to try and catch up with you guys on your server?

Akinos on
  • Options
    BulwarkBulwark Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    no palace, no governor's residence. And his score is about right for the buildings he has.

i'll check his garrison again

edit- oh well this time he's got stuff

lol 50 slingers four swordsmen and two phalanx.

and a level one wall, level six town hall.

I should taunt him and see if he attempts to attack me with all of his 1000 gold reserve.
    What the hell is it with people and making a million slingers? Do they just never bother to acquire sulfur?

Bulwark on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Akinos wrote: »
    Doh, before I saw this thread I just invested the last week or two on the Delta server... :(

Would it be ridiculous to try and catch up with you guys on your server?

There are players on the Delta server. :) Look up Darian.

devoir on
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm not websavvy enough at all to see how that list is generated on the NPAX site, but the score it lists is incorrect.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I noticed that my latest colony isn't on the player list, so here it is:

Varturus 23:21, Crystal.

Also, what are the ** in front of some of the names indicative of?

Legba on
  • Options
    APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    For the player list:

APZonerunner @...
    50:13, Crusting, Wine
    50:09, Sovereign, Marble

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Legba wrote: »
    I noticed that my latest colony isn't on the player list, so here it is:

Varturus 23:21, Crystal.

Also, what are the ** in front of some of the names indicative of?

** indicates I haven't added that colony to the big map yet. I need to update lots...

Darian on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Kalkino wrote: »

Yeah, but we have a shitton more players than they do, take a look at the average points of the other alliances in the top 100. Notice something? Our average points is pitifully low compared to them. What this means, is that while we are no where near the capability to fight other major alliances right now, our strength cap is way higher than theirs, since there is a relative hardcap in how strong any one player can get (hint, it's when building another colony or level of your town hall starts taking weeks). Furthermore, the rate of growth our players will show is going to be higher than the vets, we'll get to subs and steam tanks before they get to anything better (Not that there is anything better really).

With that out of the way, I agree with Kalkino, try to avoid pissing off any major alliances, but if it's an alliance of chumps, feel free to wang away.

Fair point about our potential strength. I just don't want to get into a hit/run situation right now as quite a few of our members have rather weak defences - little/no phalanxes/appropriate walls or defence fleets. We are working on helping the guys who are weaker than they should be by the way.

Speaking of which, if you are worried about your defences and want either advice or help with appropriate resources to upgrade these just post here with your query or send me a message in game and I'll see if we can help. We have loads of sulfur floating about in NPAX and can probably at least help with marble if walls are also an issue.

Generally I think that everyone who is over 1000 points should be try and field at least half a dozen phalanxes at each colony + appropriate wall to townhall + 2-3 ballista ships. If you can get the 100% defence bonus to these half a dozen phalanxes then you have a better than fair chance of defending against casual raids, assuming they remember to send a blockading force. If you are an aggressive gentlemen then you might want to consider having more.

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Winterfell has a museum up, finally. The Dreadfort is getting one soonish.

Taking names for my second colony:
    Cerwyn.
    Barrowton.
    Deepwood Motte.
    Flint's Finger.
    Widow's Watch.
    Flint
    Hornwood.
    Karhold.
    Liddle.
    Oldcastle.
    White Harbour.
    Bear Island.
    Norrey.
    Greywater Watch.
    Rills.
    Torrhen's Square.
    Last Hearth.

Again, bolded ones are the ones I'm leaning towards. It'll probably be marble.

Of course, I may simply go with that other Stark - Stark Industries.

Tamin on