As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Loud TV Neighbor

wallabeeXwallabeeX Registered User regular
edited April 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
About a month ago I noticed the person who lives downstairs from me started watching TV pretty late at night. It was definitely all of the sudden, and it seems like he's either watching it super late, or he's just falling asleep in front of the TV. The house has pretty thin walls all around, and the volume he leaves it at has me at that frustrating "almost able to hear the words to what's being said on the TV" level. No one else in the house has this same problem - I think I just share the walls with his living room or something. Some nights it doesn't bother me at all, other nights I simply can't sleep until he wakes up and shuts it off, which has been as late as 4am in the past.

I grew up rural and so this is sort of a new problem for me. What's the best way to handle this kind of situation? I've tried ear plugs, which just made it harder to sleep, and sleeping pills just have too much of an affect on my following morning. He holds pretty strange hours so I can't reliably catch him at home before 11pm. Would it be awkward of me to leave a note in his mailbox alerting him of my inability to sleep and asking him to turn it down or put a sleep mode on the TV?

wallabeeX on

• Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    That wouldn't be out of line. Just go out of your way be really, really polite in the note if it's your first contact with the guy.

Doc on
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    First impressions are very important. Especially with neighbors. So if this is your first time talking to him be careful.

Try to catch him in person if you can. Maybe try to see if he is around on the weekend. If not, leave him a very POLITE note. Choose your words carefully.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    JNighthawkJNighthawk Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    As someone who was recently asked by their neighbor to turn down his TV: if you can hear my TV past some reasonable hour (say, 11 or 12), or if it's very loud, or if it's prolonged, I'm being a dick and I'd like you to tell me that. In person is best, but a note works if it's more than a one-time thing.

Definitely not an unusual occurrence, and not something to worry much about.

JNighthawk on
    Game programmer
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    One of the best ways to do this is to write a polite letter outlining the problem to him, then ask if he can stop by between the hours of whenever you are available to talk to him about it.

Since most people don't like confrontation and this is a little thing he will most likely just turn down the tv and not stop by to talk to you about it.

If he does politely point out your problems with his volume.

Blake T on
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Personally, I'd just go with the letter in the mailbox.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I believe it is best to tell someone in person if possible. One thing that drove me stupid when I lived in a two person flat a long time ago was bloody notes. Drove me barmy waking up and finding some bloody note on the fridge and the like. I much prefer it if people actually talk to me about something like adults and not leave notes everywhere.

You should only leave a note if it's completely impossible to speak to him in person about it, which may well be the case and if so you should try to be as polite as possible about it.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    DrFrylockDrFrylock Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    When you do go to talk to him about it, please, please don't act like Bill Lumbergh with the TPS reports. Just keep it short and to the point. One thing you might want to do is to do a quick experiment to jointly figure out how many little green volume bars he can have on his TV before it gets annoying to you. That way, he doesn't have to worry about whether he's pissing you off every time he watches TV.

Also, as a night owl myself, (check the time on this post) please don't imply to the guy that he shouldn't have his TV on late. This is still a free country and he's still allowed to watch TV in his own home any time he wants.

DrFrylock on
  • Options
    thej3wthej3w Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Aegeri wrote: »
    I believe it is best to tell someone in person if possible. One thing that drove me stupid when I lived in a two person flat a long time ago was bloody notes. Drove me barmy waking up and finding some bloody note on the fridge and the like. I much prefer it if people actually talk to me about something like adults and not leave notes everywhere.

You should only leave a note if it's completely impossible to speak to him in person about it, which may well be the case and if so you should try to be as polite as possible about it.

Oh man, I had the same issue with some room-mates before. Best part was when they put notes out about eating their food or not cleaning out the sink. I never cooked, or ate at home as I was working 2 jobs and had very little time to be there other than sleep.

thej3w on
    J4ku.png
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    It's fair to assume that if you can hear the TV, then he must be in the house. This would be the best time to go and talk to him about it. Normal neighbors don't want to put other people out, as Nighthawk says; it's most likely a case that he doesn't realise that his TV can be heard in other flats at a volume that is keeping you awake and so will accommodate a polite request from a friendly neighbor, so don't go in guns blazing.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    ihmmyihmmy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    other than talking to him (which is a great suggestion) you could put on some background music before bed - create some white noise, so that auditory disturbances don't wake you up as much.

ihmmy on
  • Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I had a situation recently where a neighbour left a note on my car that began "Wanker"... I'd parked legally, outside his place and he liked that spot. The letter was incredibly out of line. One thing lead to another and things escalated to the point where a woman yelled at my fiance on the street.

So I took action.

I walked over, knocked on the door, and when they answered - I held out my hand and introduced myself. I told them that we're neighbours and somewhere along the line we just stopped speaking to each other. I didnt say that I was right or that they were in the wrong, but said that I'm quite a nice guy and that if they'd just asked, I would have been more than happy to help them out. They apologised, we sorted things out and I told them my name again so that they would know it wasn't "wanker" - They were so embarrassed, and now things are fine.

People just arent friendly any more and if you dont personally talk to people, they just become "that guy". I dont like notes very much.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    A similar thing happened to us. We moved into our last house, and as we were moving in, we left the moving van in our drive way. We parked one of our vehicles about 6 feet in front of our neighbors house, on the road. So it wasn't their property, either way. The next morning, we get a visit from the police, saying that the neighbors complained we were parking in front of their mailbox, and the mailman couldn't get to the mailbox. We were about 15 feet in front of the mailbox, and after we moved, they put their car their. The mail doesn't come until about 4:00 PM.

We've been on bad terms ever since. If it bugged them that much, they should have came and told us in person, instead of getting the police involved for something that didn't need the police to be involved in.

So try to talk in person. Or leave a polite letter.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Face-to-face is always better. Written communication has... changed so much that there is a lot of room for misunderstanding between two random people. If you do have to write a note, be polite and careful with how you word things.

Since we're also swapping stories (and mine is about parking too!): Once while visiting some friends of mine I parked between their duplex and a neighboring duplex because there was nowhere else to park. Apparently this bothered the couple that lived there and they decided to leave a note on my windshield to tell me. The note was polite enough, and I never parked there again, but they did make the mistake of not proofreading carefully. Being the dick that I am, I marked it like a school paper and left it on their door.

Bama on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    thanks for all the recommendations!

As I said, using the TV being on to stop by and talk to him isn't really an option. He typically comes home and turns the TV between the hours of 10 and 12, and I feel pretty awkward rushing downstairs and knocking on his door that late at night. When I get home that late from work, the last thing I want is to talk with my neighbor.

I tried the white-noise music, and it helps. In fact, I'd go that route entirely, but my apartment has three people in it and as I said, the walls are incredibly thin. Thin as in "I would have never moved here had I known", or thin as in "I can hear my room-mate sniff when she's in bed", so turning on music sort of shifts the problem from my downstairs neighbor and myself to myself and my room-mates.

And, so we're clear, this is a neighbor, not a room-mate. It wouldn't be a passive aggressive note between two people who see each other regularly, it would be a note from one stranger to another, and the first contact between the two. I think I'll go the letter route and just leave a number he can call me at since we both have such strange "house hours" that seem to overlap (I don't get home until 10 or 11 most nights too, and I'm gone by 8 .. I pretty much just sleep and shower at home and that's it).

wallabeeX on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Honestly, if you want it to be fixed with the least amount of tension, when you're getting ready for bed, throw on some pajama pants and go knock on his door. Look kinda tired and say something like "hey man, I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, but I think your living room is right below my bedroom and I can hear your TV through the floor. Could you turn it down a few ticks? Not muted or anything, cos I can hear my roommates and stuff and it's not exactly quiet up there, but, you know."

If you leave a note he might ignore it, or turn it up louder, or leave it on while he's asleep. Or he could be a nice guy & turn it down/off. But if you talk to him in person, even if he's kind of a jerk he'll probably agree with you. Even guys who you'd think would have a chip on their shoulder respond better when you talk to them in person. It helps you point out that you don't think they're scum; you just think their TV is loud and projects through the walls.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    thanks for all the recommendations!

As I said, using the TV being on to stop by and talk to him isn't really an option. He typically comes home and turns the TV between the hours of 10 and 12, and I feel pretty awkward rushing downstairs and knocking on his door that late at night. When I get home that late from work, the last thing I want is to talk with my neighbor.

I tried the white-noise music, and it helps. In fact, I'd go that route entirely, but my apartment has three people in it and as I said, the walls are incredibly thin. Thin as in "I would have never moved here had I known", or thin as in "I can hear my room-mate sniff when she's in bed", so turning on music sort of shifts the problem from my downstairs neighbor and myself to myself and my room-mates.

And, so we're clear, this is a neighbor, not a room-mate. It wouldn't be a passive aggressive note between two people who see each other regularly, it would be a note from one stranger to another, and the first contact between the two. I think I'll go the letter route and just leave a number he can call me at since we both have such strange "house hours" that seem to overlap (I don't get home until 10 or 11 most nights too, and I'm gone by 8 .. I pretty much just sleep and shower at home and that's it).

wallabeeX on
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    DrFrylock wrote: »
    Also, as a night owl myself, (check the time on this post) please don't imply to the guy that he shouldn't have his TV on late. This is still a free country and he's still allowed to watch TV in his own home any time he wants.

While I agree you don't want to imply what a person can and cannot do, most states have laws strictly disallowing any noise being heard outside of your house after certain hours. Like in my state you can be fined, starting at 50 dollars then doubling for each infraction up to 1000 dollars if a law enforcement officer can hear noise from outside of your house/building after 11pm.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    life3life3 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    How did you double-post with an hour between the duplicates ?_?

That aside, just be careful with that note. It's very easy to write something down with an intended tone and have it completely mis-interpreted.

Good tips for neighborly note writing:
    -Leave your name, printed and legible. Nothing is more reproachful than an anonymous note.
    -Leave contact info.
    -Do not threaten anything(legal action, etc.).

life3 on
    HOW APPROPRIATE [URL="aim:goim?screenname=skullc0rp"]YOU[/URL] FIGHT LIKE A COW
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I am that loud TV guy that falls asleep with Terminator 3 on vol.11

A note is fine if you absolutely cannot find me home but I'd rather you come and say "hey dude, I'm having a hard time sleeping with the TV at that volume at X time, can you turn it down a bit?"

A note goes in the garbage and I will most likely forget, a face to face has more weight. I know your hours don't mesh but this is a 2 minute conversation at most and if he gets home at 10pm, we're talking 10:02pm. There is no excuse for not going to talk to the guy.

Aridhol on
  • Options
    ihmmyihmmy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    life3 wrote: »
    How did you double-post with an hour between the duplicates ?_?

That aside, just be careful with that note. It's very easy to write something down with an intended tone and have it completely mis-interpreted.

Good tips for neighborly note writing:
    -Leave your name, printed and legible. Nothing is more reproachful than an anonymous note.
    -Leave contact info.
    -Do not threaten anything(legal action, etc.).

also, say please

ie "Hi there, I'm *** and I live at ***, beside you. I was just wondering if you could please try and turn your tv down a little at night, as I can generally hear it from my house. You don't need to turn it off entirely, just down a little would be really nice. Thanks, -***"

ihmmy on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Double post was from working in a different tab after clicking submit, and then going back an hour later and realizing that it had a connection error and seemed as though the post never got submitted.

The newer posts have dissuaded me from doing a note, I'm just going to try to catch him at home. As you might imagine, this is one of those things that I don't really notice as being a problem until it's 2am and the only noise anywhere in the world is this guy's TV. I've interacted with him in the past, he asked if I needed help with my car when I was doing my brakes, seemed really nice. I don't anticipate it being an issue, it's mostly just my "Any calls or unexpected house guests after 10pm is totally not okay" ism that's kept me from knocking on his door.

Oh, and to one of the above posters - I'm not saying he can't listen to his TV, you're damn right it's his right to. It's mostly why I've tried everything else up to this point. I wasn't going to even confront him about it on the assumption that I was moving soon, but it's looking like I'm going to be here through the summer.

wallabeeX on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    If you want to resolve the issue stop trying to avoid the face to face confrontation. 10-12 is absolutely the best time to talk to him; he's awake, you're awake and the tv is on so you can actually check that he has turned it down by a suitable amount.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    jtthomasjtthomas Registered User new member
    edited December 2013
    I have a very different approach to issues like this.

Firstly, unless the person is deaf as a doornail they probably know they're disturbing someone. So that tells me they're disrespectful.

Secondly, every time I've tried to approach someone politely about them making too much noise or a similar issue they've simply told me to 'f off'. And I was very polite each time. A few times my wife took the initiative and it happened to her as well. And it was a man who told her to beat it, then slammed his door in her face.

So this statement - 'people just aren't friendly anymore' holds true on both sides of the coin. With so many people behaving this way when asked to keep noise down or the like, it's no wonder some of us just call the landlord or the cops or leave a nasty note. Who wants to be told to 'f off' ?

I'm not nice about it anymore. If you're of sound mind and have something tuned up extremely loud or park in a spot that isn't allotted to you then you don't deserve respect. You deserve action taken against you. I don't kiss anyone's butt anymore and I don't make apologies about it. The world is full of jerks and I'll be one right back. Simple.

For the record, I've been at my current residence for 6 years and not one person has ever complained about me being noisy or anything of the nature. Believe me, my building manager would let me know if someone did complain. In a heartbeat.

jtthomas on
This discussion has been closed.