As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mac Thread - G3 phone thing is out. Have you heard of it?

• Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
    You have to remember that MobileMe replaces/is .Mac.

So it's not like it's going to be a new cost on top of what people are currently spending for a lot of people.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm sad that AT&T is making it so hard for me to give them my money. I got my previous upgrade snafu solved, but now cannot get phones for both me and my wife, on a family plan, without her present. I can understand limiting the phones to the number on 1 account, but with family accounts, is it really wise to limit one per person that has to go to the store?

Just a bit disillusioned at why it has to be so stupid hard to give someone many hundreds of dollars.

/rant

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    darkenedwingdarkenedwing Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I just ordered my macbook pro and 32GB ipod touch.
    I cant wait for it to get here.
    anything I should know?

darkenedwing on
    image.php?type=sigpic&userid=29216&dateline=1296970870
  • Options
    KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'll be ordering the same stuff at the end of the month. Could you post your specs on the MBP? Oh, and did you opt for AppleCare right off the bat?

Kris on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Kris wrote: »
    I'll be ordering the same stuff at the end of the month. Could you post your specs on the MBP? Oh, and did you opt for AppleCare right off the bat?

Base macbook pro. no changes. and no I didnt get the applecare because you have a year to order it, and its $50-$100 cheaper on other sites, so ill just get it from ebay or something at a later date.

so, off-memory:
    15" matte screen
    2GB ram
    2.4ghz dual core processor
    200GB 5400rpm harddrive
    Nvidia 8600GT M 256MB graphics card.

darkenedwing on
  • Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    anything I should know?

I might have waited for the 2.0 software to ship so you didn't have to pay $10 for it (should you want it). Other than that, I'd recommend a jailbreak if you don't want to make the jump to 2.0.

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Satan. wrote: »
    anything I should know?

I might have waited for the 2.0 software to ship so you didn't have to pay $10 for it (should you want it). Other than that, I'd recommend a jailbreak if you don't want to make the jump to 2.0.

everything I read said it was $10 for the app store, not the 2.0 update, or am I mistaken?

darkenedwing on
  • Options
    JimJimBinksJimJimBinks Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    anything I should know?

everything I read said it was $10 for the app store, not the 2.0 update, or am I mistaken?

$10 for the 2.0 update, which includes the app store.

Just sold my iPhone today. I can't tell if I'm more excited about not having a cell phone for the next day, or the 8AM launch of the iPhone 3G.

JimJimBinks on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    anything I should know?

No one really talks about the iPod touch, but I distinctly remember at the keynote that the 2.0 update would cost $9.95 for iPod touch users. They pulled the same thing when they 'expanded' Stocks etc. to the iPod touch in January.

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    anything I should know?

No one really talks about the iPod touch, but I distinctly remember at the keynote that the 2.0 update would cost $9.95 for iPod touch users. They pulled the same thing when they 'expanded' Stocks etc. to the iPod touch in January.

well, that sucks. but it wont come as a big blow to me. ill just get it whenever I feel like I need it, I guess, but most of the stuff im interested in I can get through jailbreaking, and im not too keen on paying them $10 to be able to pay them more money, as someone stated earlier in the thread.

Yay for wikipedia misinformation I guess.

does anyone here have any knowledge they would like to share about the microphone's you can buy for the ipod touches? im really interested in one for VOIP

darkenedwing on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Does anyone know if it's possible to develop iPhone apps without owning a Mac?

Jasconius on
  • Options
    dodosdodos Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    This is for people with good music equipment, but I believe I have found a very good equalizer. I'm hoping that some other people can try it out and tell me what they think as well.

This equalizer pretty much accentuates all aspects of the sound while boosting the volume just a little bit so you can hear more depth. Let me know what you think

equalizerza7.png

dodos on
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I guess this is still the general apple thread, so I'm going to ask a ipod question in here

I used to think that the people who needed 20 or 30 gigs of space for music were insane. Turns out my music collection has been rapidly expanding past 8 gigs, and will probably be pushing close to 12-15 soon. So i decided I will get a ipod classic, as it would afford me the room i need for my ever growing collection, probably a handfull of movies, and it can play the ipod games (like the new Square-enix FF game). The problem is I can't afford it right now. What kind of changes do you guys think will be made to it in the next few months? 80 GB's is already pretty up there size wise, so maybe a "stay the same size but get better battery life, maybe small bump to 100 or 120 gigs?"

ronzo on
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    ronzo wrote: »
    What kind of changes do you guys think will be made to it in the next few months? 80 GB's is already pretty up there size wise, so maybe a "stay the same size but get better battery life, maybe small bump to 100 or 120 gigs?"

There will be no big changes. It might get more space, but it's not exactly a popular product right now. You won't hear any rumours about it.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    contrabandcontraband Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    dodos wrote: »
    This is for people with good music equipment, but I believe I have found a very good equalizer. I'm hoping that some other people can try it out and tell me what they think as well.

This equalizer pretty much accentuates all aspects of the sound while boosting the volume just a little bit so you can hear more depth. Let me know what you think

equalizerza7.png

I think equalizer tweaks work differently for everyone. My setup is (inadvertently) very bassy, so I have an inverse to the setting you've provided. Although yeah, I have noticed a gentle (inverse) bell curve works best for most people.

edit:
    Lewisham wrote: »
    But there is a significant lag to the AE, which is why it's not a good idea to use AirFoil for something like movies. I never used the streaming on my AE.

I stream to my 360, but that rather requires having a 360.

whaaaaaaat. bummer :(

(just to clarify, the lag is with all AEs, not the Airfoil utility?)

contraband on
    sigxw0.jpg
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    contraband wrote: »

equalizerza7.png

I think equalizer tweaks work differently for everyone. My setup is (inadvertently) very bassy, so I have an inverse to the setting you've provided. Although yeah, I have noticed a gentle (inverse) bell curve works best for most people.

Nailed it. The 'ideal' equalizer settings for any given setup rely on the speakers, the layout of the room the speakers are in, the type of music being played, etc. There is no universal "perfect equalizer" setting, or else a whole lot of audio technicians would be out of work.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
    Jasconius wrote: »
    Does anyone know if it's possible to develop iPhone apps without owning a Mac?

Nope, native apps can only be made with a Mac.. which makes me sad because I'd like to make a couple of iPhone apps.

You're stuck with making AJAXy webapps, and they even put all of the information on that behind their developer site registration.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    whaaaaaaat. bummer :(

(just to clarify, the lag is with all AEs, not the Airfoil utility?)

Yes, that's why Apple never made it just an Output device option in the Sound preferences.

Airfoil is meant for other audio-only sources, like online radio.

EDIT: Looks like my info is outdated:
    http://www.tuaw.com/2008/01/10/airfoil-3/, Airfoil 3 has a built-in video player which time-shifts video/sound so that the lag is counteracted. It won't work with games or anything that Airfoil can't play, but that's a little better.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    RonenRonen Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Alright! Now that the iPhone is out we can stop focusing on it and get to what's really important: a new motherfucking Macbook Pro for me to buy right before I start grad school in September.

Fuck you Apple make it happen already.

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

or Brawl. 4854.6102.3895 Name: NU..
  • Options
    Durandal InfinityDurandal Infinity Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    it isnt out
    Still 11/8/08, but I agree my dad needs a MBP and the new case design if the rumors are true is very worth it. Easy HDD and ram Access is what made me buy a MB and the MBP is very due for a new keyboard

Durandal Infinity on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I was just looking at the itunes remote program with the new firmware. It got me thinking about streaming music. Currently if I want to stream music from my PC to my home stereo I use my XBOX. Obviously the iPod Touch/iPhone remote wouldn't work with this so I'm thinking about getting an Airport express. Has anyone here used one? How is it? Also, is there any way for iTunes to stream music to external devices without an Airport Express?

JimJimBinks on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    airport express is top notch sexiness.

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I ordered my MacBook Pro yesterday, it'll be here next week, they said.

15-inch, 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 512MB 8600M GT, 200GB @ 7200rpm. I didn't get AppleCare quite yet, but it's next on my list of things to buy. I'll wait until my next paycheck for that.

The guy at the store even threw in a free Crumpler Hard Suit, which'll go perfect with my Crumpler bag. The standard laptop cases that come with the bags are nice, but a tailored one is just a tad better if you know what I mean.

Think it'll run Diablo 3? I fucking hope it does.

Senshi on
  • Options
    noobertnoobert Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    In less than 8 hours I will be attempting to get an iPhone.

I don't really like my chances, but oh well.

noobert on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So, the 2.0 software update for ipod touch ain't out yet then? I want to play with apps goshdarnit.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Senshi wrote: »

15-inch, 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 512MB 8600M GT, 200GB @ 7200rpm. I didn't get AppleCare quite yet, but it's next on my list of things to buy. I'll wait until my next paycheck for that.

The guy at the store even threw in a free Crumpler Hard Suit, which'll go perfect with my Crumpler bag. The standard laptop cases that come with the bags are nice, but a tailored one is just a tad better if you know what I mean.

it should be able to play diablo 3 just fine... whenever it comes out in 20 years.

darkenedwing on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Senshi wrote: »

it should be able to play diablo 3 just fine... whenever it comes out in 20 years.
    And then we will be sitting in front of our hover computers going, "Hah, 3D graphics, how cute, we are up to 7D now.. besides my shoes can do better classical graphics than that!"
    So, the 2.0 software update for ipod touch ain't out yet then? I want to play with apps goshdarnit.
    So it's out for the ol-phone but not the touch yet?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    SaarSaar Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Is 2.0 through iTunes now? When I got to work at 9 a.m. pst I checked and 1.4 was still current, so I did the 2.0 install manually. Took about 45 minutes. I think I need a new cable as I was getting a lot of "cable not connected" errors leaving me do the install a few times.

Saar on
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    iPhone question...

Can't you just buy one off ebay or the like and slap your SIM card into it, continuing with your current plan?

I'm Canadian, so it may be different, but I'm talking in general here. I don't know much about SIM cards and phones and such.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    DeathPrawn wrote: »

equalizerza7.png

Nailed it. The 'ideal' equalizer settings for any given setup rely on the speakers, the layout of the room the speakers are in, the type of music being played, etc. There is no universal "perfect equalizer" setting, or else a whole lot of audio technicians would be out of work.

Not to mention that personal sensitivity to specific frequencies are different for each person. If there was a a "perfect" equalizer setting, well, then we wouldn't need equalizers, would we?

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    iPhone question...

Can't you just buy one off ebay or the like and slap your SIM card into it, continuing with your current plan?

I'm Canadian, so it may be different, but I'm talking in general here. I don't know much about SIM cards and phones and such.

The US one's, at least, came locked so they would only be able to work with AT&T. According to Macrumors, you'll be able to get the new one's unlocked.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    RUNN1NGMAN wrote: »
    The US one's, at least, came locked so they would only be able to work with AT&T. According to Macrumors, you'll be able to get the new one's unlocked.

I thought it was without contract, but still locked to AT&T, so you basically dicked yourself over by buying a more expensive handset, and a PAYG plan that dicks you over again.

The worst of both worlds... but at least you're not on contract.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    It is not especially hard to unlock them, though.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Lewisham wrote: »
    RUNN1NGMAN wrote: »

I thought it was without contract, but still locked to AT&T, so you basically dicked yourself over by buying a more expensive handset, and a PAYG plan that dicks you over again.

The worst of both worlds... but at least you're not on contract.

I don't know if it's the same thing you're talking about, but it was possible to get the old iPhones without a contract. If you had sufficiently low credit (or pretended to by saying your SS# was 000-00-0000) you could get a horrible PAYG plan. AFAIK it was mostly used by people who essentially wanted an iPod Touch before the Touch was announced.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    ok, 2.0 installed

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    ok, 2.0 installed
    When is it going to be released for the touch? I want!

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So is there any downsides to unlocking an iPhone?

If I ever get one, I plan on jailbreaking it anyway... but I'm still curious.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    So is there any downsides to unlocking an iPhone?

If I ever get one, I plan on jailbreaking it anyway... but I'm still curious.

I honestly never found a piece of software that made Jailbreaking my phone really worth it. There was stuff that was cool to use once or twice but nothing groundbreaking.

JimJimBinks on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So, I am going to post something, and I want those of you who are squeamish around expensive items getting busted to avert your eyes!
    My Boss dropped her iPhone last night.

img0778wq8.jpg

The best part? It still works just fine.

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Wulf wrote: »
    So, I am going to post something, and I want those of you who are squeamish around expensive items getting busted to avert your eyes!
    My Boss dropped her iPhone last night.

img0778wq8.jpg

The best part? It still works just fine.
    My anus just clenched..

Wait, did you take a picture of an iphone.. with an iphone? That is so meta.

The_Spaniard on
This discussion has been closed.