Internet devices?

LockoutLockout I am still searchingRegistered User regular
What's a reasonably priced gadget that I can get on the internet with while on the go? The Kindle would be cool to have, because of the whole free internet anywhere thing, but I was wondering if there was a cheaper alternative. I would really, really like to get one with a cheap alternative to WiFi, because I don't live in an area with many hotspots at all.

f24GSaF.jpg
Lockout on

Posts

  • Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS
    edited April 2008
    Lockout wrote: »
    What's a reasonably priced gadget that I can get on the internet with while on the go? The Kindle would be cool to have, because of the whole free internet anywhere thing, but I was wondering if there was a cheaper alternative. I would really, really like to get one with a cheap alternative to WiFi, because I don't like in an area with many hotspots at all.

    A refurb 8GB iPod touch 8GB iPod touch has WiFi, full internet but it sounds like you'd be screwed. Cheaper than the Kindle isn't going to be easy for what you want. The Kindle only has that free internet because the cost is built into the device -- it actually piggybacks on Sprint's network. Aside from a PDA-style cell phone, there isn't much (if anything) for you with WiFi and some other data network.

    Satan. on
  • Epyon9283Epyon9283 Registered User
    edited April 2008
    The N810 with WiMAX is coming out relatively soon.
    http://nokia.us/link?cid=PLAIN_TEXT_970297

    I have a N810 and its a capable device. Uses a mozilla based browser and supports flash. The email client is beyond terrible though. WiMAX service (Xohm maybe?) isn't going to be free though.

    Epyon9283 on
  • Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS
    edited April 2008
    XOHM is most likely the first mass-market WiMAX service that might roll out in major metro areas beyond the initial launch of Chicago, Baltimore and DC (read: NY, LA, SF and the lot) by the very end of the year. While it's faster than shit, Epyon is right in saying that it won't be free. That's also a but far down the road for what you're aiming at it, too.

    Satan. on
  • useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Does the Kindle have full internet?
    I thought it only allowed surfing amazon (maybe not even all of amazon just the books section) and wikipedia.

    I could be wrong.

    useless4 on
  • Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS
    edited April 2008
    useless4 wrote: »
    Does the Kindle have full internet?
    I thought it only allowed surfing amazon (maybe not even all of amazon just the books section) and wikipedia.

    I could be wrong.

    That's what it defaults with but I'm relatively sure it has / is being in the process of being hacked.

    Satan. on
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Is there anything viable for someone who'd like full computer ability but palm-of-the-hand functionality? Perhaps a phone/PDA with plenty of juice and an Ubuntu variation or something nice and easy to work with?

    yalborap on
  • Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS
    edited April 2008
    yalborap wrote: »
    Is there anything viable for someone who'd like full computer ability but palm-of-the-hand functionality? Perhaps a phone/PDA with plenty of juice and an Ubuntu variation or something nice and easy to work with?

    OQO's little handheld is probably what you want. I know you can get Leopard onto it with some screwing around and it comes with Vista. Linux shouldn't be too difficult, I imagine.

    Satan. on
Sign In or Register to comment.