As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Prince of Persia IV: PoP+Okami+SOTC?

• Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Anyone got the latest EDGE?

The art is actually incredible and nothing like MGS.

Scans. Nao.

And Klyka, any joke that you need to explain is not a perfect joke.

Explain.

I am morally opposed to scans so I will post one or two only, I want to protect the work of the writers of the magazine. It deserves your money.

I will scan the cover later too. But that's all.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    img001.jpg

The title and all text is gold leaf which doesnt scan well.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Back cover and one page from the magazine. Buy it you freeloaders it is essential reading for gaming enthusiasts.

img003.jpg

img002.jpg

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    That looks amazing and I can't wait for this game.

The guy is wrong though: It ALWAYS matters how shiny your rocks are.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Fapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfap

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    Regicid3Regicid3 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So is this a new story or a continuation?

Regicid3 on
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Regicid3 wrote: »
    So is this a new story or a continuation?

I think they're taking the Zelda approach to the POP series. Some games will be directly connected, but many games will just share characters, themes, and gameplay.

Dirty on
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    titmouse wrote: »
    darunia106 wrote: »
    Lunker wrote: »
    Sextastic video of artwork being created.

[img][/img][img](found on GAF) :o[/img]

Prince answer me! Prince? PRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINCE!
    In case you don't get it, look at the art for the Metal Gear Solid series.
    I was going to make that joke but thought it would be a lame joke.

Lame jokes are right up my alley, how could I not resist?

Also, this game looks very awesome.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    Mr HeistMr Heist It's Heist-o-Matic! Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    It seems to be the general consensus that the SoT trilogy very successfully updated the feel of the original PoP's platforming into 3D. It sounds like the duel mechanic, if done correctly, will be a proper update to the fighting in the original as well, instead of the clunky combat we ended up with so far.

Now the question remains- will all the enemies have little floating potions above their heads we'll slowly have to deplete?

Mr Heist on
    mrheist-wide.png
  • Options
    RuinsRuins Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    This has me a lot more interested than the previous PoP games.

Ruins on
    ach.png
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    This looks and sounds absolutely amazing.

PoP is such an awesome series since it was reborn. If only every remake became this great.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Honestly the Sands of Time trilogy completely flew under my radar and I was not interested in the least bit in Prince of Persia until just now. They went and completely reinvented the IP though, so the new art direction has got me all hot and bothered, and reading the snippets about the more open world zelda-style gameplay sounds fabulous.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    This game uses the Assassin's Creed engine by the way, in case that wasn't common knowledge.

Also included is the advanced animation middleware too.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Scosglen wrote: »
    Honestly the Sands of Time trilogy completely flew under my radar and I was not interested in the least bit in Prince of Persia until just now. They went and completely reinvented the IP though, so the new art direction has got me all hot and bothered, and reading the snippets about the more open world zelda-style gameplay sounds fabulous.

Trilogy? You mean there's a PoP game other than Sands of Time and Two Thrones?

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Scosglen wrote: »

Trilogy? You mean there's a PoP game other than Sands of Time and Two Thrones?
    No. That post is filled to the brim with lies. Dirty, filthy lies that would undermine the good, pure world in which we live.

Monger on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Fucking kids thinking Sands of Time was the first prince of persia make me feel SOOOOOOO old and im only in my 20s.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Fucking kids thinking Sands of Time was the first prince of persia make me feel SOOOOOOO old and im only in my 20s.

To be fair there was a lot to forget about.

I'm looking at you Prince of Persia 3d....

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

It's interesting to look back and see how games were shorter back then. The original game had a 1 hour time limit. Only 1 hour for the prince to rush in and save the princess. And that game kept me occupied for ages.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    This post is also filled with lies. There weren't any more and there certainly wasn't a remake of any of them that I've been meaning to buy since before it came out and never got around to because I'm too lazy to get off my ass and buy MS points.

Liar.

Monger on
  • Options
    scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I loved SoT sooo much.. I hope we get that same charisma and charm that SoT had.

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008

I hope that wasn't aimed at me. Black & White PoP on the apple mac (and original gameboy) is one of those formative early gaming experiances for me. I never knew a game could move so good and play so well.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Man, I positively adore the art direction of this game.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I love the art direction and concept for this game. I loved the first and third games (WW can piss off to hell riding a goat) with this game having an excellent concept.
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    Chance wrote: »
    Looks beautiful. Don't fuck up the platforming gameplay, and I'll buy it.

and if the combat is half as good as Assassin's creed, you can't lose!

:lol:

Subtle good sir, subtle.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Silpheed wrote: »
    Man, I positively adore the art direction of this game.

Me too.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    It seems his claw hand is integral to the gameplay. Several shots show him using it to slide down walls and grab things.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The hands of time?

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The demon bringer. And you can collect orbs while playing to add more acrobatic moves.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    darleysam wrote: »
    The hands of time?

Hi5.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I actually recall that there is some old 1001 Nights tale about an enchanted gauntlet but I can't really recall what it was called or how the story itself went..

Silpheed on
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008

I hope that wasn't aimed at me. Black & White PoP on the apple mac (and original gameboy) is one of those formative early gaming experiances for me. I never knew a game could move so good and play so well.

I played this game and the second PoP for ever and ever. Still one of my most memorable gaming experiences. I remember thinking the combat was amazing.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

I played this game and the second PoP for ever and ever. Still one of my most memorable gaming experiences. I remember thinking the combat was amazing.

"Wait, you mean the shift key parries?!"

subedii on
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    subedii wrote: »

"Wait, you mean the shift key parries?!"

:lol: awesome. Man I wonder if I could dig out my old apple and see if it still works.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    EggyToast wrote: »
    The demon bringer. And you can collect orbs while playing to add more acrobatic moves.
    Do you have any idea how hard I would play this?

If I could wall-run across a pit and jump-cancel it into helm-splitter, I may as well just starve to death at the Tee Vee.

Monger on
  • Options
    Mr HeistMr Heist It's Heist-o-Matic! Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    darleysam wrote: »
    The hands of time?

"I love the hand of time. It's so bad"

Mr Heist on
    mrheist-wide.png
  • Options
    SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

The new prince reminds me more of the original one, especially with something on his head. The design looks good, but I'm a bit worried about the promise of a more free-roaming, open ended world. There's nothing wrong with a little linearity.

Saddler on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Saddler wrote: »

The new prince reminds me more of the original one, especially with something on his head. The design looks good, but I'm a bit worried about the promise of a more free-roaming, open ended world. There's nothing wrong with a little linearity.

I'm the same way, but so far all of the text so far mentions linearity a decent amount. It may have gotten a bit lost in the sea of bad puns ;-), but from back a few pages:
    Open world, not linear levels... but they later say that it's not free-roaming, and then half a sentence later say it's entirely non-linear... ah, then they clear it up: it's non-linear in that you can clear the various sections of the world in any order you like, but the platforming elements are classic PoP:SoT-style linear platforming sections, not an Assassin's Creed-style sandbox (they apparently decided on this because with a more open sandbox, playtesters were performing bursts of acrobatics, then pausing to decide where to go next, rather than the longer, flowing sequences they wanted). Later on they talk about various iterations they tried of the open-world concept - one was an Assassin's Creed-style fully open sandbox, another was a more zelda-style overworld-hub with dungeons branching off, and the final one they settled on sounds like it's somewhere in-between the two.

Also, rather than just allowing the player to cleanse the various areas in whatever order they feel like and that being it, they're structuring it so that when you cleanse an area, all the remaining areas get harder, so there's still a difficulty curve despite the non-linearity.

Which is very, very relevant to my interests. I really wanted to love Assassin's Creed but in the short time I played it I floundered like I do with all sandbox games; I end up dicking around and the game doesn't engage me enough for me to keep my interest. This approach sounds a lot more Mega Man–ish: a series of focused platforming segments that you can attack in any order.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Clevinger wrote: »

I can't be the only one who wants this as my background, so here's a 1200x1024 version:

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm309/Blue_Legba/popbackground.jpg

Legba on
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Wow. This looks nice. Really nice. If they can make the combat more interesting, and I believe on 1up Yours a couple of weeks ago they said it was going to be more one on one fighting game style, then I'm beyond sold. I dug the first (yeah, not the first. I know. Jesus, get over yourself, you fucking snobs.) and the third and pray this won't be a terrible, terrible, horrible misstep like the second one.

Medium Dave on
  • Options
    ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Some new art:

2mgusr4.jpg
    1ptg5y.jpg
    (Natalie Portman? Coupled with the other art for this character they must've hired her for the role like they did with Kristen Bell for AC)
    2eoz11z.jpg
    http://i30.tinypic.com/50d21.jpg
    http://i32.tinypic.com/t9vblh.jpg
    http://i26.tinypic.com/2lo5c8m.jpg
    http://i28.tinypic.com/9qecdj.jpg
    http://i30.tinypic.com/iqh1k5.jpg

Clevinger on