As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Prince of Persia IV: PoP+Okami+SOTC?

• randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Clevinger wrote: »
    A long preview and some absolutely gorgeous screenshots:

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/888/888598p1.html

seriously, it looks so damn good in some of those shots

particularly this one: http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/890664/prince-of-persia/images/prince-of-persia-20080711042951904.html?page=mediaFull
    I swear I am absolutely in love with the artwork it in this.

Every single day I try to go to the pop website and download the wallpapers and am crushed that it never works. If anyone can get those to work and can link to them I will be in debited forever.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    darleysam wrote: »
    Eh, again, I'd rather that than either endless quicksave/quickloads when I get stuck somewhere (because that's somehow better?) or having to jump through all the same hoops again after reloading at a checkpoint because I missed a single poxy jump.

Yeah, seriously, what's the issue with this?

I mean, the time rewind thing from was a bit better, but this is pretty good.

shryke on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Eh, again, I'd rather that than either endless quicksave/quickloads when I get stuck somewhere (because that's somehow better?) or having to jump through all the same hoops again after reloading at a checkpoint because I missed a single poxy jump.

That was kind of the point of the time mechanic in the last trilogy.

Couscous on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    titmouse wrote: »

Yeah, but if they've taken out the sands of time because this isn't the same prince or story, then I'm happy for them to come up with another method.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Yeah, but if they've taken out the sands of time because this isn't the same prince or story, then I'm happy for them to come up with another method.

I wouldn't mind if they said Elika could only save the prince X numbers of time because her magic is limited or some bull and give an option for unlimited magic.

Couscous on
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    It reminds me of the system in Prey. I hated it.
    It depends on the execution. Prey was an old school shooter, and not being able to die completely undercut the intent of the challenge. Boss fights were a joke, because you could just stand in one place and shoot/respawn until it died. The fact that it was boring to do that was the only motivation not to. Bioshock kind of had the same problem, minus the fact that you may or may not have had to walk for a while. If Ubi's intention here is that it's just a fancy new coat for the checkpoint system from the last three PoP games, then it'll probably feel great. That's what I'm hoping for, at least.

I'm completely stoked for everything else, though. In particular:
    The healed area also spawns numerous "light seeds." These luminous balls are magical currency for Elika. You can now go back through an area and collect the seeds, which can then be used to purchase new magical abilities.

The seeds are spread throughout the level and will put you on brand new paths of exploration. The corruption is gone from the area, so there are no traps, but you still have considerable acrobatic challenges to complete to get all the seeds.
    The flags in Assassin's Creed were pretty weak and served no purpose, but there were a couple that were set up as challenges (at the top of some giant structure, in the middle of a rousing speech, or guarded by templars) and those few moments were fantastic. I'm ecstatic that they're building on that idea here, as well as making it relevant to gameplay elsewhere.
    Elika's Compass spell casts a light on the direction of your objective. It doesn't tell you how to get there, but it will keep you from getting completely lost. And it's a clever way to negate the need for a mini-map -- or any HUD at all.
    I don't know why, but I love this idea. It just seems a perfect way to immerse the player in the game, build atmosphere in the world, and highlight the interaction between Elika and the Prince in one little button press. In fact, I almost hope that the Elika button doesn't directly trigger an action by her, but instead causes the Prince tell her to perform an action. Would probably make combat way too unresponsive, though.

Monger on
    edited July 2008
    Monger wrote: »
    It reminds me of the system in Prey. I hated it.
    It depends on the execution. Prey was an old school shooter, and not being able to die completely undercut the intent of the challenge. Boss fights were a joke, because you could just stand in one place and shoot/respawn until it died. The fact that it was boring to do that was the only motivation not to. Bioshock kind of had the same problem, minus the fact that you may or may not have had to walk for a while. If Ubi's intention here is that it's just a fancy new coat for the checkpoint system from the last three PoP games, then it'll probably feel great. That's what I'm hoping for, at least.

I'm completely stoked for everything else, though. In particular:
    The healed area also spawns numerous "light seeds." These luminous balls are magical currency for Elika. You can now go back through an area and collect the seeds, which can then be used to purchase new magical abilities.

The seeds are spread throughout the level and will put you on brand new paths of exploration. The corruption is gone from the area, so there are no traps, but you still have considerable acrobatic challenges to complete to get all the seeds.
    The flags in Assassin's Creed were pretty weak and served no purpose, but there were a couple that were set up as challenges (at the top of some giant structure, in the middle of a rousing speech, or guarded by templars) and those few moments were fantastic. I'm ecstatic that they're building on that idea here, as well as making it relevant to gameplay elsewhere.
    Elika's Compass spell casts a light on the direction of your objective. It doesn't tell you how to get there, but it will keep you from getting completely lost. And it's a clever way to negate the need for a mini-map -- or any HUD at all.
    I don't know why, but I love this idea. It just seems a perfect way to immerse the player in the game, build atmosphere in the world, and highlight the interaction between Elika and the Prince in one little button press. In fact, I almost hope that the Elika button doesn't directly trigger an action by her, but instead causes the Prince tell her to perform an action. Would probably make combat way too unresponsive, though.
    Yeah it really sounds like they are taking everything good from PoP and AC and then tossing out all the bad to leave just the best gameplay elements.

The combat sounds absolutely great and the game just looks absolutely amazingly great.

I still need to find some good wallpapers though >_<

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Strifer wrote: »
    WW isn't a bad game per se. I mean, I've beaten the damn game three times, though I can definitely see where the whole marketing spin kills it for you.

I <3 you. I'm definitely in the minority, 'cause Warrior Within is my favorite of the trilogy.
    (+) level designs were awesome
    (+) combat that didn't totally suck
    (+) the story being told is actually the best of the 3
    (+) the semi-open world was great
    (+) the platforming was (imo) the best of the 3

(-) the art direction isn't as clean as Sands of Time - watch the way sand is absorbed in 1 and tell me 2 or 3 did it better. You can't.
    (-) Godsmack.
    (-) for some reason you really care abou Farah in 1 - 2 or 3 don't have the same kind of connection to the characters
    (-) switching out the Prince's voice actor was a shitty idea

(+/-) yes, the Prince is a jerk we can't relate to - but people who mention how he's unlikably selfish in 2 seem to forget what an ass he is in 1 and 3.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
    edited July 2008
    Sorry for 2 posts - PS3 text field is small.

On PoP '08: Do what you want with the combat, that sounds fine - the choice of when you go through the levels sounds fine - but if you fuck up the platforming, if it's as 'good' as the platforming in Assassin's Creed, there will be blood.

Chance on
  • hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Chance wrote: »
    WW isn't a bad game per se. I mean, I've beaten the damn game three times, though I can definitely see where the whole marketing spin kills it for you.

which is fixed in 3 by having the most excellent inner monologues.

but you also forgot:

(-) huge (sometimes gamebreaking) bugs

hoodie13 on
    PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    My problem with in-character explanations for your immunity to death is that it ruins any feeling of danger there might be in the story. Even if it were to behave exactly the same way as a checkpoint system, you know that no matter what happens the Prince can not possibly lose. Just like in Prey, where is the suspense in knowing that you're playing an immortal and every enemy he faces is at worst a minor inconvenience?

Zek on
  • LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Warrior Within would have been great if they hadn't fucked around so horribly with the art direction and stupid unreasoned shit like changing voice actors. And trying to improve the combat system but actually making it worse.

LaCabra on
    edited July 2008
    hoodie13 wrote: »

but you also forgot:

I really hope they bring back Yuri Lowenthal for this Prince. He has such a good voice for the character.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Zek wrote: »
    My problem with in-character explanations for your immunity to death is that it ruins any feeling of danger there might be in the story. Even if it were to behave exactly the same way as a checkpoint system, you know that no matter what happens the Prince can not possibly lose. Just like in Prey, where is the suspense in knowing that you're playing an immortal and every enemy he faces is at worst a minor inconvenience?
    Honestly, that didn't hurt Sands of Time at all. Just because you know the hero will not die doesn't mean there can't be tension or suspense surrounding them, nor does it mean that every challenge will be overcome. I'm not saying it won't be an issue, but it completely depends on the story and the storytelling.

Monger on
    edited July 2008
    Monger wrote: »
    Honestly, that didn't hurt Sands of Time at all. Just because you know the hero will not die doesn't mean there can't be tension or suspense surrounding them, nor does it mean that every challenge will be overcome. I'm not saying it won't be an issue, but it completely depends on the story and the storytelling.
    No, Sands of Time didn't have that. You got a couple very limited re-dos and then you were dead. I mean, besides the fact that he's telling the story in the past-tense, you at least know that he's capable of being killed. I'm talking about something like Prey, where every time you die you go to the spirit realm for a bit and shortly jump through a portal that revives you.

Zek on
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Next thing you know Rainbow Six will have a "friendly deathmatch" mode where scores aren't counted and everyone wins at the end of the round. They win because they made a good effort. Isn't that beautiful?

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Fireflash wrote: »
    Next thing you know Rainbow Six will have a "friendly deathmatch" mode where scores aren't counted and everyone wins at the end of the round. They win because they made a good effort. Isn't that beautiful?
    that's where Vegas is headed anyway

SithDrummer on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Guys, stop being dumb

They're just providing an in-character excuse for respawning and checkpoints

I mean, if you fail a jump and are about to die, the mystical god-demon chick will rescue you and put you back at the next checkpoint. She wouldn't just let you fall to your death, she ordered you to clean up the mess you made and damn it you are going to clean it up mister

As for "sparing your life during combat" I think this will be roughly the same. If you run out of health and are for all gameplay purposes 'dead' the chick will rescue you from the enemies and deposit you at the last checkpoint. Again, she's not going to let you just get out of your duty by dying, but I don't think she's out to really help you either

I think it is nice, the same way the Prince's past tense narration in the first game was nice

edit: oh hey I guess the chick is actually your partner or something. Huh. I thought she was supposed to be the goddess or whatever that sends you to fix things after you totally fuck them up

It has been a while since I followed this game okay

Still, I like it. I pretty much appreciate in-character explanations for everything though. I think it adds to the immersion

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    edited July 2008
    I pretty much agree with Olivaw, but I still think the idea of being resurrected back at a checkpoint, however close to where you died, is a dramatic step back from the mechanic in the Sands of Time trilogy. Granted, this is a new story with a new Prince and instead of sand powers he's got a nifty feral-looking glove. I get that.

But the rewind in the Sands of Time trilogy was a stroke of genius. Not only did it fix the problem of the headaches that come from invariably dying while negotiating the perilous traps and leaps of the game world (not to mention occasionally cheap enemies), it fit right in with the storyline and looked so fucking cool. It was - really - perfect.

And after such a genius mechanic, pretty much any change can only make it worse. Unless this companion/partner girl has mystical powers that look as sweet as reversing time in the SoT trilogy, it's worse. If the 'checkpoint' she lands you at is on the other side of a room of traps you just cleared, it's worse.

The mechanic in the SoT trilogy was incredibly good, and worked amazingly well. The team at Montreal set the bar disturbingly high when they came up with that idea - if they can't change the look but keep it intact or do better than the original, it'll be a disappointment.

...and I just realized I hate commenting on games that haven't actually been released yet 'cause I have no idea what the actual mechanic will be or how it'll work. Bleh.

Chance on
  • scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I thought the quick kills in PoP3 was a fantastic addition to the series. it was like a mini-game that gifted you the power to skip the awful combat segments.

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    scootch wrote: »
    I thought the quick kills in PoP3 was a fantastic addition to the series. it was like a mini-game that gifted you the power to skip the awful combat segments.

slash000 on
  • TedisonTedison Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    well hopefully if they stick to their word, we won't WANT to skip the combat segments this time around.

Tedison on
    edited July 2008
    I pretty much agree with Olivaw, but I still think the idea of being resurrected back at a checkpoint, however close to where you died, is a dramatic step back from the mechanic in the Sands of Time trilogy. Granted, this is a new story with a new Prince and instead of sand powers he's got a nifty feral-looking glove. I get that.

But the rewind in the Sands of Time trilogy was a stroke of genius. Not only did it fix the problem of the headaches that come from invariably dying while negotiating the perilous traps and leaps of the game world (not to mention occasionally cheap enemies), it fit right in with the storyline and looked so fucking cool. It was - really - perfect.

And after such a genius mechanic, pretty much any change can only make it worse. Unless this companion/partner girl has mystical powers that look as sweet as reversing time in the SoT trilogy, it's worse. If the 'checkpoint' she lands you at is on the other side of a room of traps you just cleared, it's worse.

The mechanic in the SoT trilogy was incredibly good, and worked amazingly well. The team at Montreal set the bar disturbingly high when they came up with that idea - if they can't change the look but keep it intact or do better than the original, it'll be a disappointment.

...and I just realized I hate commenting on games that haven't actually been released yet 'cause I have no idea what the actual mechanic will be or how it'll work. Bleh.

I'm just saying that "Wait, that's not how it happened..." is a much better in-character death explanation than "I CAN'T DIE NO MATTER WHAT HAHAHAHAHAA," and I'd rather just have a load screen. We know the character will win eventually but a little suspension of disbelief would be nice.

Zek on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008

I'm just saying that "Wait, that's not how it happened..." is a much better in-character death explanation than "I CAN'T DIE NO MATTER WHAT HAHAHAHAHAA," and I'd rather just have a load screen. We know the character will win eventually but a little suspension of disbelief would be nice.

That's exactly why I like it though, for the suspension of disbelief

Dying and reloading kind of brings me out of the illusion, you know?

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm going to use Zelda: Majoras Mask as an example here:

In Majoras Mask, even if you screwed up and let the three days pass, you'd end up at the beginning of the three days as if the moon hadn't just crashed into the town. There was no Game Over screen, it was more of a forced rewind.

Did that stop the game being the darkest Zelda game ever? No.

Did that stop the Moon from being as scary as the SMB3 Sun, Pyramid head, Ski Free Yeti and that rotating platform in Sonic 2?

Heck no.

Somestickguy on
    edited July 2008
    http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=179814

Eurogamer preview, well worth a read if you're at all interested.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Beautiful, beautiful trailer.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/36270.html

Kyougu on
  • WazzitWazzit Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Major major props to Ubisoft for using Sigur Ros as the music.

I know it was two games ago, but maybe they are still trying to redeem themselves for using Godsmack in a game with this beautiful trailer.

Wazzit on
  • khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Have you played Bioshock Zek?

khain on
  • MiserableMirthMiserableMirth Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm really not digging the combat, especially the over the top aerial moves. I am, however, loving the music. It fits it well.

MiserableMirth on
  • Cpt_InnocuousCpt_Innocuous Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    slash000 wrote: »
    scootch wrote: »

I could never get those things to work. The only way I could get the timed button mini-games during fights to work was to try it multiple times, and fail each time, then painstakingly learn when to start pushing the triangle button before the screen even flashed.

The prince had crazy acrobatic moves that were different for each fight, that had no real reason for me to push triangle at those times. He was doing great flipping around and doing cool stuff that I wanted to do, then you have .04 seconds to hit a button to watch him do more cool stuff.

Maybe I'm just not as good at video games anymore but I can't stand the God of War timed things. I'd rather be doing those things myself in pop4 thx.

Cpt_Innocuous on
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

but you also forgot:

That is precisely why I couldn't finish the game, got pissed off at it, and sold it. The hell if I was going to start all over for a third fucking time.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm really not digging the combat, especially the over the top aerial moves. I am, however, loving the music. It fits it well.

Yeah, definitely not digging the swinging combo attacks. Everything else looks great, but that's a real turn off.

Nightslyr on
    edited July 2008
    Sigur Ros music? Well dammit now I wish I was at home to watch this trailer :(

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Nightslyr wrote: »

Yeah, definitely not digging the swinging combo attacks. Everything else looks great, but that's a real turn off.

Yeah, his acrobatics look more daring when they're a little closer to at least the appearance of being grounded in reality. I can't really say spinning and flipping through the air in slow motion does much for me.

subedii on
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    subedii wrote: »

Yeah, his acrobatics look more daring when they're a little closer to at least the appearance of being grounded in reality. I can't really say spinning and flipping through the air in slow motion does much for me.

It's a real shame, too, because the rest looks incredible. They successfully gave the new Prince a sense of weight and kinetic realism, judging from the bits where he's grabbing the ledge and spire-thing, despite the cell-shaded look, and had to ruin it by giving the two Naruto physics combo attacks.

I'll still buy it, but it's still pretty disappointing.

Nightslyr on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I don't mind the aerial moves. Mostly because they're obviously a part of Elika, not the Prince.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

but you also forgot:

That is precisely why I couldn't finish the game, got pissed off at it, and sold it. The hell if I was going to start all over for a third fucking time.

There were bugs in PoP3?

shryke on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    It's a real shame, too, because the rest looks incredible. They successfully gave the new Prince a sense of weight and kinetic realism, judging from the bits where he's grabbing the ledge and spire-thing, despite the cell-shaded look, and had to ruin it by giving the two Naruto physics combo attacks.
    I have to say, this whole conversation sounds like two people reviewing the most delicious cake in the world, but being unsure about whether or not they really want to eat it because it's shaped like a butterfly instead of a dragonfly.

Glal on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Glal wrote: »
    I have to say, this whole conversation sounds like two people reviewing the most delicious cake in the world, but being unsure about whether or not they really want to eat it because it's shaped like a butterfly instead of a dragonfly.

Way to read too much into things.

It's not like we're saying the rest of the game looks crap, "We won't buy this in protest!" or anything like that, but you have to admit the Dragonball Z stuff looks a bit out of place.

subedii on