As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

God Hand is an ok game. Talk about it if you must.

• Options
    SillenderSillender Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    i don't know how stupid this is but the only way my copy of Rez would play is if i ran my ps2 upside-down
    :[

Sillender on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Actually it reads a bit better when I put it up on its side

But that's ridiculous and I think I'll just return the game

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Oh guys prepare to change your pants at this idea. So you know how some companies are putting out their PS2 HD 3D compilations? Imagine the Clover collection, Viewtiful Joe, Okami, God Hand, in HD 3D!

Are you hinting at something, boyo?

Cause that's really unlikely to happen, but you DID just say you met up with industry insiders...

I'm not saying it is going to happen, I drink with these guys every Wednesday. I'm not giving any inside news, I was just wish hoping.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The_Spaniard likes to tease gaming cocks

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    God Hand 2
    For Kinect

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The_Spaniard likes to tease gaming cocks

The funny thing is that I'm telling a story about a guy that was saying how much God Hand sucked, and somebody read it and the post after it as, "OMG possible HD re-release?!"

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Oh hey. We have a God Hand thread. So I'm going to be playing God Hand here in the near future, on account of this, which I can't quote because apparently that thread got locked.

Also because Morninglord will do unspeakable things to me if I don't.

Monger on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Sunset Heroes is one of my favorite boss battle tunes ever. I just get a stupid grin on my face whenever I fight those midget assholes.
    Monger wrote: »
    Oh hey. We have a God Hand thread. So I'm going to be playing God Hand here in the near future, on account of this, which I can't quote because apparently that thread got locked.

It'll make you more of a man than losing your virginity.

Just remember to save those special attack wheels and not waste them on chumps. They do TERRIBLE TERRIBLE damages to mini-bosses and bosses.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    My favorite thing about godhand is the difficulty slider. It's one of the few games, if any, where I always felt right in the groove of being challenged, but still having a great time.

That and punching people.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    My favorite thing about godhand is the difficulty slider. It's one of the few games, if any, where I always felt right in the groove of being challenged, but still having a great time.

The problem with God Hand is that it's just a game about punching people.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    templewulf wrote: »
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

The problem with God Hand is that it's just a game about punching people.

The genius of God Hand is that it's just a game about punching people.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Well, I've given up on ever playing this game. I exchanged the disc I had for another one and it still spins up and the laser clicks, and the farthest it gets is to the Playstation 2 splash. Most of the time it doesn't get there. Every other game I own works just fine, but God Hand won't work for some reason.

I tried adjusting the laser positioning, and even went so far as to buy white lithium grease to apply to the rails and snake screw of the laser. No dice.

Oh well. There are other games to play I suppose.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    That sucks, man. Talk about a ball-buster.

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Monger wrote: »

That's right. Get to it.

@joshofalltrades: Oh man. I reckon the game is scared of you. It knows you took on I want to be the guy. It knows how good you are at ridiculously hard games. It's trying to hide.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Well, I found a way to play it. It isn't optimal but I found a way. Don't think I can talk about the specifics, but I have a fully-functioning PS2 and game disc. I shouldn't have had to resort to this.

Anyway, the game is great. Even the first level. The IGN dude is crazy.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    My PS2 actually has the same problem with DMC3:SE. One day it decided I could never play it again. The disc is in perfect condition and every other game plays fine, including scratched up blue-back discs.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    It just keeps getting better, too. Remember that this is you with the bare minimum of moves. Eventually you'll be punching people into the atmosphere on a regular basis and working drunken boxing moves into your combos.

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    agoaj wrote: »
    God Hand 2
    For Kinect
    Best workout EVER

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    agoaj wrote: »
    God Hand 2
    For Kinect
    Best workout EVER

"Dragon Kick Your Ass Into Shape!"

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    It just keeps getting better, too. Remember that this is you with the bare minimum of moves. Eventually you'll be punching people into the atmosphere on a regular basis and working drunken boxing moves into your combos.

Even at the beginning it still feels amazing when you manage to time a dropkick just right and then flow on to the next dude. Even the non-obnoxious stuff is pretty satisfying.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    KuratosuKuratosu Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Even at the beginning it still feels amazing when you manage to time a dropkick just right and then flow on to the next dude. Even the non-obnoxious stuff is pretty satisfying.

I was hooked from the moment I roundhoused a guy into the saloon porch.

Kuratosu on
    Click spoiler for Backloggery, and gamer info:
    sig.gif
    Gamer Tag: LeeWay0
    PSN: Leeway0
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Just beat Elvis. It took me just over an hour, but part of that was the game being left on while I ran out for a bit.

So much fun. I don't know why I'm attracted to difficult games. Maybe it's like spicy foods; they hurt, but in a good way?

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I got stuck on
    the third incarnation of Elvis
    and have since packed away my PS2. It's all neatly arranged in a box for next time I get the urge to get punished by video games for not being good enough.

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I died 11 times so far. I didn't read the manual or any faqs and have just been kinda going with it. I learn by doing I guess.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I died 11 times so far. I didn't read the manual or any faqs and have just been kinda going with it. I learn by doing I guess.

Straight back dodge is your friend.

Edit: Yes, I meant UP dodge. It's been a long time since I've played the game.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Just remember, if a move can't be dodged by going straight back because it travels forward far enough that you get hit by it, you can probably updodge it instead.
    Oh and you can chain the updodge continuously until you feel like attacking. Moves that cannot be updodged tend to be the exception rather than the rule.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, I got through a lot of tough encounters just by 'dodge and weave' and the backflip.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Spending some time working on your combo against the attack dummy is helpful

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Greg343Greg343 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Does anyone have any tips for that
    samurai master
    boss around stage 7?
    I've put two or three solid hours playing that fight. No boss in this game has given me anywhere near as much trouble.
    I got bored with it about a year ago, but seeing this thread made me think of it.

Greg343 on
  • Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Greg343 wrote: »
    samurai master
    boss around stage 7?
    I've put two or three solid hours playing that fight. No boss in this game has given me anywhere near as much trouble.
    I got bored with it about a year ago, but seeing this thread made me think of it.

He's probably the shittiest boss in the game. I recommend either spamming overhead blow-up dodge-repeat, drunken twist-dodge-repeat, or breaking his guard and then side kicking him into the wall over and over again (side kick-up dodge-repeat).

Marty81 on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Marty81 wrote: »
    Greg343 wrote: »
    samurai master
    boss around stage 7?

He's probably the shittiest boss in the game. I recommend either spamming overhead blow-up dodge-repeat, drunken twist-dodge-repeat, or breaking his guard and then side kicking him into the wall over and over again (side kick-up dodge-repeat).

Most of his attacks can be updodged.
    The key to this boss is not letting him get away from you. If he gets away from you he WILL do his clone technique. You can't updodge their attacks.
    The best thing to do if he gets this off is that spinning kick thing godreel, it'll eat the clones.
    But for the most part you have to stay in his face and dodge everything. If he starts a combo, updodge->sweep him out of it. Press up and triangle while he is on the ground then start punching before he comes up.
    You'll be able to get in a couple of hits.
    If he breaks your attack, immediately updodge sweep.
    If you try to guard break him and he ducks, immediately updodge. Don't back dodge. That's giving him space. Giving him space is suicide.
    There's only one of his attacks that you need to backdodge I think. It's the giant jumping attack he sometimes does.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    SzechuanSzechuan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Morninglord is 100% correct (as if there were any doubt). I thought that boss sucked too until I realized it's essentially a big "you really should learn how to up-dodge to stay in the thick of the fighting by now" tutorial.

Szechuan on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Ha, I popped God Hand back in my PS2 this morning, just hitting the eject button twice anytime it had a disc read error, and it finally read! So I actually got to play a little of it how it's meant to be played, at a decent framerate. I kicked ass all the way until the QA hombres, with the kick me sign still attached and then I had to leave for work. At least I know it'll work sometimes.

I'm the fuckin' fist of the north star.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Updodging is the new downdodging. The only problem is that now I consistently make it up to level DIE. I haven't even had any practice on 3, much less DIE. I skipped right from 1 to 2, and right from 2 to DIE. That's how fucked up my own difficulty curve is.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    You're just too good.

The game will now punish you for your hubris.

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Nuuuuuuu~

I'm just going to have to let myself get smacked a few times on Level 3 for a while then

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The game is going "Oh, what, think you're all fancy because you can updodge? You think you can be a master just because updodging works on a lot of the grunts? Well then I guess you won't mind if we make them a little smarter then would you? Oh, oh, what's that? Is that too hard for you? But I thought you were really good and these guys were no problem. Well it's fine, level DIE will always be here. You know, just in case you invite your friend over that's actually good."

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    The game is a cock

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The game is a cock

Which is why I never got very far in it.

Maybe I should hook up my PS2 and give it another whirl.

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    A game that punishes you for playing poorly but punishes you more for playing well is a rare beast indeed.

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png