As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Economic Stimulus Checks

• Options
    PorkChopSandwichesPorkChopSandwiches Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Drez wrote: »
    defrag wrote: »
    No direct deposit for me, and I'm in the low SSN bracket, so I'm guessing that just because you get a direct deposit from a service like turbo tax doesn't mean that you'll get a direct deposit stimulus. I'm 100% sure I qualify, so perhaps you just need to have e-filed with the IRS directly to get the deposit?

I e-filed with TurboTax and they specifically stated that the stimulus would come the same way your refund came. If you received your refund via direct deposit, you should get your stimulus via direct deposit. If you received your refund via physical check-by-mail, you should get your stimulus via physical check-by-mail.

So I'm really not sure what your situation is. :/

If you filed with TurboTax and had the cost of the service taken out of your refund, you will be getting a paper check later in the year.

PorkChopSandwiches on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Drez wrote: »
    defrag wrote: »
    No direct deposit for me, and I'm in the low SSN bracket, so I'm guessing that just because you get a direct deposit from a service like turbo tax doesn't mean that you'll get a direct deposit stimulus. I'm 100% sure I qualify, so perhaps you just need to have e-filed with the IRS directly to get the deposit?

I e-filed with TurboTax and they specifically stated that the stimulus would come the same way your refund came. If you received your refund via direct deposit, you should get your stimulus via direct deposit. If you received your refund via physical check-by-mail, you should get your stimulus via physical check-by-mail.

So I'm really not sure what your situation is. :/

If you filed with TurboTax and had the cost of the service taken out of your refund, you will be getting a paper check later in the year.

Really now? Source? I'm not saying you're lying, but that would make me feel a LOT better. I did turbo tax and had the cost of the service taken out of it.

urahonky on
  • Options
    langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I e-filed through Turbo Tax, received my refund through direct deposit, and received my stimulus check through direct deposit also.

However, I'm in the military so Turbo Tax was free to me.

langfor6 on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Yeah, I remember right at the end it said that it requires like $24 or something like that for the services, and that I could pay by credit card or take it out of my refund, which I promptly let it take from the refund because I was already there.

Had I known that it would have screwed with the stimulus check date, I'd have put that on my CC. Oh well.

urahonky on
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    Yeah, I remember right at the end it said that it requires like $24 or something like that for the services, and that I could pay by credit card or take it out of my refund, which I promptly let it take from the refund because I was already there.

Had I known that it would have screwed with the stimulus check date, I'd have put that on my CC. Oh well.
    I'm not sure if that's true or not, but I will say that I used TT as well, and I payed for the refund with a credit card (I think it was cheaper than having it taken out of your refund). I did get my rebate already, so maybe there's something to this, though I can't imagine why.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080429062837AAfg0cj

Yep. Looks like it. (Sure it's yahoo answers, but it seems legit)

That's a LOAD off my shoulders.

urahonky on
  • Options
    DesertBoxDesertBox Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Hmm. I used TurboTax. I payed my taxes out of my bank account, but I paid Turbotax fees by credit card. I was supposed to get my rebate last week, but I've got squat.

I think if I don't get it by Monday, I'll give the IRS a call.

DesertBox on
  • Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    DesertBox wrote: »
    Hmm. I used TurboTax. I payed my taxes out of my bank account, but I paid Turbotax fees by credit card. I was supposed to get my rebate last week, but I've got squat.

I believe you still needed to fill out the direct deposit information in this case since you said you paid taxes rather than getting a refund. Paying them from your bank account I don't believe results in a direct deposit stimulus check because they don't go through the process of setting up direct deposit for your refund. I suspect you will be getting a paper check.

Daenris on
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Hmm, I'm a little concerned now, I guess I'm in good company though. I should've gotten my payment before the 9th it sounds like, but nothing's come in yet. I paid taxes, both this year and last. Hmm... i'll give it some time, don't want to clog up the (probably already clogged) phone lines about it. Another week or so before I give a call.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    how late did you pay your taxes? I mailed mine near the end of march and just got my return today when I was in the first direct deposit bracket.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I paid mine back in February... hmm... =(

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I just got an email from TurboTax stating:
    Dear Valued Customer,

We want to provide you with the most up–to–date information about the tax rebate to which you may be entitled.

Recently, you may have received a letter from the IRS advising you when to expect your Economic Stimulus Payment (rebate). That IRS letter may have inadvertently left off some important information. Taxpayers who chose to have their tax preparation fees deducted from their federal tax refund will receive their tax rebate in the mail, not via direct deposit.

Our records show that you chose this payment option in TurboTax. As a result, the IRS has determined that you will receive your tax rebate in the mail. This may result in you receiving your rebate on a date later than expected.

This situation, while not unique to TurboTax, is understandably causing some concern and confusion. To help further clarify the situation, below is the most current IRS rebate payment processing schedule, as well as additional resources about the tax rebates.

I hope you find this information helpful. If you still have questions, the best source for the most up-to-date information is www.irs.gov (see the "Rebate Payment Questions" link).

Sincerely,

Bob Meighan

Vice President, TurboTax Customer Advocacy

urahonky on
  • Options
    DesertBoxDesertBox Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Arg, no deposit or email from TurboTax. I was pretty sure i entered direct deposit and my checking account info everywhere I could. And i paid my preparation fees by credit card.

DesertBox on
  • Options
    CoJoeTheLawyerCoJoeTheLawyer Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Likewise, if you use H&R Block or any other 3rd party tax preparation service, you will have to wait until June for your Government cheese to be mailed to you.

Bastards

CoJoeTheLawyer on

CoJoe.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Likewise, if you use H&R Block or any other 3rd party tax preparation service, you will have to wait until June for your Government cheese to be mailed to you.

Bastards

Not necessarily. It depends on how it was done. I filed through H&R block's online TaxPrep software, but I just got my rebate direct deposited at the end of last week like it was supposed to.

If you filed through a 3rd party and had them deduct the payment from your refund, or had them pay you with a refund anticipation check/card then you won't be getting direct deposit.

Daenris on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Ahh, then this may be what's happening with me too! I used TaxACT online to file my return... I wonder if it's a similar problem. D'oh.

VThornheart on
  • Options
    PorkChopSandwichesPorkChopSandwiches Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Daenris wrote: »

Bastards

Not necessarily. It depends on how it was done. I filed through H&R block's online TaxPrep software, but I just got my rebate direct deposited at the end of last week like it was supposed to.

If you filed through a 3rd party and had them deduct the payment from your refund, or had them pay you with a refund anticipation check/card then you won't be getting direct deposit.

This is correct. The reason is that when you let them deduct the payment from your refund, they actually set up a temporary "bank account" for you. That is the routing number that goes on your tax return. When the IRS tries to put your economic stimulus check in the temporary bank account, it comes back as closed. The IRS may try to use your past years returns to directly deposit if it is possible. If not, then you get a paper check sometime in 2013... or this summer.

PorkChopSandwiches on
  • Options
    SaarSaar Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    Has anyone who was supposed to get their deposit this week actually gotten it?

Yes. Mine was scheduled for May 16th and when I checked my account this morning, it was in there.

Saar on
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    DesertBox wrote: »

Same thing with me. Damn, looks like I'm getting a paper check.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Saar wrote: »
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    Has anyone who was supposed to get their deposit this week actually gotten it?

Yes. Mine was scheduled for May 16th and when I checked my account this morning, it was in there.
    Yeah, ours was deposited last Friday, which was technically within the bracket they said it would be. They do seem to make a large number of the deposits on Fridays. After reading some of the stuff here, I am really glad we just paid for our refund with a credit card. I was just going to have it taken out of the refund, but my wife convinced me to just pay for it. I guess I owe her.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Someone mentioned a phone number you can call to find out about the status of your rebate. Does anyone know what that number is?

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    RubickRubick Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    You can go on-line to irs.gov and there's a "where's my rebate?" page where they can give you an estimate (if avail) of when yours will be deposited.

Rubick on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Rubick wrote: »
    You can go on-line to irs.gov and there's a "where's my rebate?" page where they can give you an estimate (if avail) of when yours will be deposited.

Ah! I went back to try it again, and it said mine'd be processed by the end of the month... which is a little wierd, because the payment table said that I should have it by the start of the month... but as long as I'm getting it, I won't complain. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So my parents claimed me as a dependent, and just got their deposit today. It was only $1200 though, so they think that I'm going to randomly get my check in the mail. I think it's more likely that that's probably $600 for one person and $300 for the other two.

Are they right, and I'm going to get one even though I'm dependent, or was mine part of the $1200?

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Oh, if you're a dependent they'll probably get 300$ per child, right? I think that's the deal... and I think they mail that "per child" check later, at least that's what I heard in the news (apparently it was a goof-up: they accidentally didn't include the per child amount, so now they're going to mail it separately).

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    How old are you? You need to be under 17 for your parents to receive the extra $300 by claiming you as a dependent.

If you were claimed as a dependent, you probably won't be getting anything.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    So my parents claimed me as a dependent, and just got their deposit today. It was only $1200 though, so they think that I'm going to randomly get my check in the mail. I think it's more likely that that's probably $600 for one person and $300 for the other two.

Are they right, and I'm going to get one even though I'm dependent, or was mine part of the $1200?

You get nothing. Your parents claimed you. However their rebate checks are missing payments for you as a child. They got $1200 jointly because they were supposed to. Currently the IRS goofed and did not include a lot of payments ment for children claimed. Your parents will be getting another check in July.

Shogun on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Shogun wrote: »
    Mai-Kero wrote: »

You get nothing. Your parents claimed you. However their rebate checks are missing payments for you as a child. They got $1200 jointly because they were supposed to. Currently the IRS goofed and did not include a lot of payments ment for children claimed. Your parents will be getting another check in July.

That is, if he's under 17 right?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Right. If he's over 17 (and I think even if he is 17), it doesn't matter whether they claimed him as a dependent or not. They aren't getting the extra $300... not from him anyway.

If he's under 17 and they still didn't get it, it could be from the IRS foul-up, and they might get it later.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    nuclearalchemistnuclearalchemist Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I just got super-owned. My dad did claim me as a dependent last year on his taxes, I am over 17, and made more than 3k last year. Not just owned, but super owned.

nuclearalchemist on
    ~Eigen-fleichen
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Well you could try to have your dad file an amended/corrected return (you would have to file one too if you marked on yours that someone else claimed you as a dependent).

Daenris on
  • Options
    GiantRoboGiantRobo Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I just got super-owned. My dad did claim me as a dependent last year on his taxes, I am over 17, and made more than 3k last year. Not just owned, but super owned.

Makes two of us. And he was so adamant about me filing as a dependent also.

Fucker.

GiantRobo on
  • Options
    Akilae729Akilae729 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Me and pretty much all of my friends got screwed out of our $600 with this whole over 17 and being a dependent thing.

Sooo frustrating. Mine was going to go towards getting a motorcycle for the summer.

Akilae729 on
    signaturebighe7.jpg
  • Options
    Pancakes R BEtterPancakes R BEtter Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Don't worry, once you're not a dependant you'll just spend it on your car insurance and maybe be able to get a pair of jeans.

Pancakes R BEtter on
  • Options
    Akilae729Akilae729 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yeah my friends and I also thought about all the stuff we still dont pay for, and realized that its all good

Akilae729 on
    signaturebighe7.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    True, true.

VThornheart on
  • Options
    MurphysParadoxMurphysParadox Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Ours went entirely towards plane tickets from DC to Seattle to SFO to DC... and my wife's yearly bonus at work is covering the hotels. While it is nice to not dig into savings for PAX, it would also be nice to actually get the money.

MurphysParadox on
    Murphy's Law: Whatever can go wrong will go wrong.
    Murphy's Paradox: The more you plan, the more that can go wrong. The less you plan, the less likely your plan will succeed.
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Ours went entirely towards plane tickets from DC to Seattle to SFO to DC... and my wife's yearly bonus at work is covering the hotels. While it is nice to not dig into savings for PAX, it would also be nice to actually get the money.
    Yeah, ours was the same way. It was pretty much gone before we even got a chance to enjoy it.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    That_Spoony_BardThat_Spoony_Bard Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The check was intended to boost the US economy right?

Kinda ironic that the wife and I are using part of it to take a trip to Canada...

That_Spoony_Bard on
  • Options
    GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Has anyone recieved a paper check yet? Mine was supposed to go out may 23rd, but i haven't seen anything yet

Gdiguy on