As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sad news about Resident0 - Painting Ideas Needed

• Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Looking at his backloggery I notice a lot of similarities with my own. I'm going to finish those games now. Seeing that signature with the comments is really depressing and man, someone has to finish what he started.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2008
    I never clicked on this thread because I assumed he was sick or something mild. "Sad" is such an understatement D:

My condolences. I'm no artist, so that's all I have.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Final Fantasy V - PS
    Never played this one all the way through, I'm gonna though!

Man, reading stuff like that...

urahonky on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    Final Fantasy V - PS

:(:cry:

yalborap on
  • Options
    anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    Final Fantasy V - PS

It's heartbreaking and reminds me of an article about how technology has changed the way we view death. It was interesting when I first read it, but it hadn't really hit home until now.

anable on
  • Options
    LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So, I've done an outline of a picture for Kiri, someone suggested putting Gabe and Tycho in it, too, but they didn't look right. Someone else suggested putting them at the top of the picture, just in a strip. What do people think? I've only done the pencil outline, so I can change it, and just put more GTA IV images in.

[URL="[URL=http://img227.imageshack.us/my.php?image=residentooutline1yp0.jpg][IMG]http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/2461/residentooutline1yp0.th.jpg[/IMG][/URL]"][/url]residentooutline1yp0.th.jpg

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I think it looks really good LP's Mummy. Really, I think its the thought that counts. :)

urahonky on
  • Options
    The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I have a tendency to get jailed a lot when I post in G&T, since most of what I say is sarcastic, so I can't really say that I knew him well, but going through some of his old posts has honestly made me teary-eyed. My condolences to you and his family.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So, I've done an outline of a picture for Kiri, someone suggested putting Gabe and Tycho in it, too, but they didn't look right. Someone else suggested putting them at the top of the picture, just in a strip. What do people think? I've only done the pencil outline, so I can change it, and just put more GTA IV images in.

residentooutline1yp0.th.jpg

To be fair, it'd needs more penises to be accurate, but that might be inappropriate considering the subject matter.

As for art: I'd avoid Sephiroth or Kefka...I don't think you really want Resident0/Mike to be remembered with an art piece, no matter how beautiful, that includes two psychos who tried to destroy the earth. Rinoa is much more appropriate, as if I recall FF8, she too was a victim of unfortunate circumstances.

My condolences to you and your/his family, Mrs.Resident.

EDIT: and the only art ideas I have all involve games he didn't seem to play, like Pokemon ("PENNY ARCADE used Honor Memory! It's super effective! Resident0 was remembered fondly!") and such.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I haven't read the thread beyond first couple of posts after the OP so bear with me if this has been covered already.

I'm being one hundred percent serious when I say this, I'm not trying to make an off-color joke or anything but I honestly think that his location tag should be changed. As of now it evokes thoughts of horrible irony that I'd think would be best changed to "Better place" or something along those lines so that no jerk off could make a bad joke were they to notice.

Also sympathy and condolences and the such. Never good to see a regular go, especially in such a manner.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Well this is very sad news, you have my condolences.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    Resident0Resident0 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I haven't read the thread beyond first couple of posts after the OP so bear with me if this has been covered already.

I'm being one hundred percent serious when I say this, I'm not trying to make an off-color joke or anything but I honestly think that his location tag should be changed. As of now it evokes thoughts of horrible irony that I'd think would be best changed to "Better place" or something along those lines so that no jerk off could make a bad joke were they to notice.

Also sympathy and condolences and the such. Never good to see a regular go, especially in such a manner.

I agree with you so i have finally managed to change it, it's obvious mike was the technology wiz in our relationship since its taken me about 3 hours to find how to do it!

Resident0 on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    So, I've made a start. Kiri has sent me a picture of her and Mike, I'll add it to the top of the picture.
    [URL="[URL=http://img169.imageshack.us/my.php?image=residentotitle2yj6.jpg][IMG]http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/5717/residentotitle2yj6.th.jpg[/IMG][/URL]"][/url]residentotitle2yj6.th.jpg

LewieP's Mummy on

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    That looks pretty good for an outline of all the pictures

Dixon on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    So, I've made a start. Kiri has sent me a picture of her and Mike, I'll add it to the top of the picture.
    [URL="[URL=http://img169.imageshack.us/my.php?image=residentotitle2yj6.jpg][IMG]http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/5717/residentotitle2yj6.th.jpg[/IMG][/URL]"][/url]residentotitle2yj6.th.jpg

WOW! It is looking absolutely amazing! Thank you so much (again) :)

Resident0 on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    :(:(

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    Lave IILave II Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Oh man, I've not really been around recently so I've missed this thread.

My condolences and best wishes. My thoughts are with Resident0.

Aside: I think the computer gen really changes something significant about death. All these spindly webs of contact we pass out around the world which keep effecting people as the stumble across them whilst googling. I find that reassuring actually. It's strange. I mean if I died today, my blog would stay up with no one to deactivate it, and it would keep posting to itself for a good three weeks or so. It's very strange times. Maybe I should leave my passwords to forums, blogs and sites and stuff somewhere so if needed my next of kin could let the 'electronic people' know...

Lave II on
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I didn't notice this thread until now, and now I've been D:D:D: 'ing for the last five minutes, reading the whole thing.

It sucks so much when this happens. I have to agree with whoever said he was lucky to have someone like you who would think to post on the forum should anything happen to him, god knows no one i know would do the same should something happen to me.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    God, it's always so surreal when I hear the news of someone's passing, regardless of if I knew them personally or not. I know how hard it is to lose somebody close to you and I give you my condolences.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I wasn't sure about posting this, but talked to Lewie. This is where I'm up to with the painting, just so you guys know.

[URL="[URL=http://img169.imageshack.us/my.php?image=residentomostlydone1ge4.jpg][IMG]http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/2553/residentomostlydone1ge4.th.jpg[/IMG][/URL]"][/url]residentomostlydone1ge4.th.jpg

LewieP's Mummy on

• Options
    edited May 2008
    Looking incredible. Keep it up. :)

urahonky on
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Looking good, though there are some shadows that look totally off, keep up with the good work :wink:

Impersonator on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Help please! I'm struggling with the faces, and would seriously like help, I want to get this right. Thanks.

LewieP's Mummy on

• Options
    AkatsukiAkatsuki Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I just saw this thread, I'm really really sorry to hear this. My condolences.

Akatsuki on
    Preacher wrote:
    ...my inner weaboo can kawaii all over this desu.

Pokémon HGSS: 1205 1613 4041
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I wasn't sure about posting this, but talked to Lewie. This is where I'm up to with the painting, just so you guys know.

[URL="[URL=http://img169.imageshack.us/my.php?image=residentomostlydone1ge4.jpg][IMG]http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/2553/residentomostlydone1ge4.th.jpg[/IMG][/URL]"][/url]residentomostlydone1ge4.th.jpg

It looks great, it's definately going to have pride of place on our bedroom wall!!

And i just want to thank everyone for their sympathy ad support, it really does mean a lot and it's great to know mike reached so many people, even if he couldnt always get out and meet them.

Resident0 on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm going to go ahead and unsticky this thread but everyone should of course feel free to keep posting in it.

Accualt on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Horrible news, there are no two ways about it. I can't but offer my deepest sympathies.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Help please! I'm struggling with the faces, and would seriously like help, I want to get this right. Thanks.

Not that I can help anyway, but what do you mean exactly?

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    They don't look right - the shading on them - I've tried to copy the picture exactly, including matching the colours and shadows, but they don't look as realistic as I'd like them to be. I've not painted in this style before, the backgrounds are ok, but the faces just don't look right. I'd appreciate any ideas you have, I'm not at all precious about what I paint, I'm very aware of my limitations, and think I've prbably reached them with this - I'm putting off adding the picture of Kiri and Mike, cos I'm anxious about it.

LewieP's Mummy on

• Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Hmm...It might be inappropriate, given the purpose of this, but perhaps either making the faces a little more cartoony, or a little more photorealistic, would help. As it is, the faces look out of proportion with the heads.

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    As in too big or too small?

And thank you for replying!!!

LewieP's Mummy on

• Options
    edited May 2008
    Just wanted to thank LewiePs Mummy for that artwork, i just received a photo of the final article and it looks amazing!!

It was micheals birthday yesterday and he would have loved it! We even bought him a DSLite cake.

Resident0 on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Haha... That's awesome. And sad. :(

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    LewieP's Mummy on

• Options
    edited June 2008
    Just wanted to say i received it today, it looks absolutely wonderful! Thank you so much! Am going round Mikes parents today to show them!

Resident0 on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    That looks great. You're awesome, LewiePs Mummy.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    That is really great and LewieP,you should give your mom a big "thank you!" hug cause she deserves it.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    PussumPussum Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Oh man, it sucks to hear what happened, but it does redeem my faith in the fact that compassion and humanity still exist in this world. For people to reach out like they have over the web to someone they have most likely never met really shows that love is truly blind. You all have my most sincere respect and my most well of wishes for you and yours.

Pussum on
    venomsigva5.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Just wanted to let you all know, mikes family and i will be setting up a charity over the summer to raise money to but games consoles for a hospital where mike was treated for many years, if anyone would like details just let me know

Resident0 on
    sig.gif