As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So how can I get some info on a girl?

Spectral SwallowSpectral Swallow Registered User regular
edited April 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Okay, theres this young lady that I am pretty attracted to, and we've kinda flirted back and forth, I don't know her name, but I frequent the place she works. Now unfortunately I don't really want to ask her out just cause that would be all kinds of weird if she were already dating somebody.
So, and I know this is going to sound like insane, how can I call up to her work and find out if she's single without sounding like a crazy stalker.
I've tried to deter the conversations in that direction before, to no avail.
And I know that(after rereading this) this entire thing sounds kinda crazy.

Spectral Swallow on

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So, and I know this is going to sound like insane, how can I call up to her work and find out if she's single without sounding like a crazy stalker.

You don't.

Talking to her is the only non-crazy stalker option here.

Burnage on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    It is crazy. Ask her out because you like her. The worst that happens is she is spoken for. There's no reason to panic, if she's spoken for you may have an awkward moment and then a friend or you may have an awkward moment and then just move on. If she's not, congrats.

Basically, the only way it turns out "all kinds of weird" is if you spend most of the time with someone you like trying to trick them into divulging personal details. Just ask.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    PojacoPojaco Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I agree that outright asking is never easy, but many of my best interactions with girls were when I finally got over my shyness and just asked them out. Even if she is dating someone already, by you asking she knows that you are interested and, because she sees you often, she'll think of you more.

You've got to get your name stuck in her head

co-stanz-a

Pojaco on
  • Options
    DavaDava Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Yeah, just ask her out. It doesn't hurt anything. I get asked out by guys who don't notice my wedding ring, and it's flattering. The worst case scenario is that she's already seeing someone, but you've made her day by asking.

Dava on
    petition_banner.JPG
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Just do it man! Dooooo it!

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    Nohbody8Nohbody8 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Pojaco wrote: »
    co-stanz-a

:lol:

Nohbody8 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "We're the middle children of history, man."
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    "Hey, would you like to see a movie with me this weekend?"

She'll accept and you will find out then, or she'll decline and you will find out now.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    Strike up a conversation on any topic. Keep it light and funny. If it lasts 5 minutes then you can easily just slip in "Hey...are you seeing someone?"

If the answer is yes just say "Oh, ok." and keep talking about what you were talking about until you can bring things to a more natural conclusion.

This strategy works wonders as more than once I've gotten later dates out of using it. It shows you are civil, easy to talk to, not afraid of rejection, and totally interested in her for more than just romantic intentions.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    When people call asking for numbers of girls at places I've worked I've just told them no. It would violate professional ethics to give out private information of a coworker.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    You should just ask her directly, say if you bump into her on a social situation or whatever outside of work. I don't recommend asking girls for their number at work, it's often very aggressive and she is a 'captive' audience so to speak. It may also make her uncomfortable if you come into her work often.

But then again, the only way to know is to ask...

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    WootloopsWootloops Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I agree with everyone saying just steer the conversation in that direction when you next speak with her. If she is dating one, she'll politely decline (or bring it up in conversation) - if she isn't, well...thats one less hurdle to overcome.

But...I need to ask. How old are you? How old do you think she is?

I ask because I've had plenty of odd older men come in and hit on my female coworkers who then come to me and tell me how creeped out they are and ask if I can stand around them when said men were in the restaurant. Not to say you are the creepy guy in question, but it's something we should probably know about.

Wootloops on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TrowizillaTrowizilla Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The only non-creepy way to find out is by asking her.

Try "Hey, would you like to grab a drink sometime?" Obviously, don't ask her out to the place she works at, duh. If she says no, say "Eh, cool, just thought I'd ask" and then don't sulk or act weird. If she says yes, say "Cool, how about tomorrow/next Friday," have a place and time in mind, and don't act too puppyish or freakishly eager. A date is not a marriage proposal.

Trowizilla on
  • Options
    Spectral SwallowSpectral Swallow Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm 21 and she's probably at least 20.
    The main thing I'm worried about is I'm misreading politeness with flirtiness. And like I said, I'm required to go there about once a week or so, so if I'm shot down it could be 10 kinds of awkward, especially with how girls talk.

Spectral Swallow on
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Unfortunately, politeness and flirtiness are definitely hard things to sort through for meaning... and even flirtiness might not be serious in nature.

But indeed, find a non-committal way to ask her out somewhere. Not so much a "will you go steady with me" kind of thing (of course), but like a "Hey, you want to get coffee somewhere?" The former makes it extremely well known what your intentions are... the latter gives her an opportunity to shoot you down (if she's going to) without ever actually knowing if you were even asking her out. And if she does agree to, you can certainly find out more by the way she behaves when you go wherever you go.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    If you're "shot down", it won't be awkward unless you make it awkward.
    If you ask her out, and she says she's not available, that doesn't say anything bad about you. So get over yourself and ask her out. Or forget about. Don't pine. Or stalk.

Djeet on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Yeah, I don't know about other people, but if someone asked me out I would be flattered. I'd tell them that I'm already with someone and make a joke or something to relieve the momentary tension. Then I would think "well that person has excellent taste indeed". It doesn't have to be awkward at all, it can be a positive experience whether or not she ends up leaping on your bones.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    WootloopsWootloops Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The main thing I'm worried about is I'm misreading politeness with flirtiness. And like I said, I'm required to go there about once a week or so, so if I'm shot down it could be 10 kinds of awkward, especially with how girls talk.

It's a possibility - the hostess at one of my old jobs often had men asking her out and couldn't figure out why. As it turns out, she's very flirty - even when simply being polite. Suppose it's part of the business, make people comfortable so they spend more money.

If you do get shot down, well, it isn't the end of the world. It'll be a little awkward, but have a laugh, brush it off, maybe crack a joke to break the tension and all is well. She likely will gossip to the other employees one way or another, that's more or less inevitable. But really; what's the worst she's going to say? That guy that comes in that I talk to alot asked me out? You don't know these people and they don't know you, they'll probably laugh about it for all of an hour then move on. As long as you don't come across as pushy, needy or just plain weird, there really isn't any ammo for side gossip.

I'd suggest talking to her a little more and maybe learning her name first before asking her out though - as a rule of thumb, it's good to know a girls name before taking her out anywhere heh.

But if you like her, definitely go for it. It's one of those things you'll kick yourself for not doing later on.

Wootloops on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    tardcoretardcore Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Women like a man with confidence. Just go for it. It'll be like peeling off a bandaid.

tardcore on
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The main thing I'm worried about is I'm misreading politeness with flirtiness.
    If this is a coffee shop, she's just being polite.
    And like I said, I'm required to go there about once a week or so, so if I'm shot down it could be 10 kinds of awkward, especially with how girls talk.
    Shit man, that chance of getting shot down will always be there. You'll never get anywhere if you let a little thing like that hold you up.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    NibbleNibble Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    It's not going to be awkward after, unless you walk in with a marching band, a giant bouquet of flowers, and a diamond ring. Just casually ask if she'd be interested in seeing you outside of work; and if she says no, then just continue the conversation like nothing happened. There's no reason that her rejecting you would have to change anything.

Nibble on
    sig.php?id=178
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Go to your local army surplus store. Now days they sell very small track devices.

Get yourself a high grade blow dart.

Go to the store, next time she is talking to someone else you can pull out your blowdart and fire that tracking signal into her mouth, she should (90% of the time) swallow it.

Next follow her home and watch her that night, remember if you smoke, don't leave your butts on the ground, if the police find your stalking spot they can totally get your DNA on it.

This first night you should be able to find out basic things like when she goes to bed.

Once she goes to bed, steal her garbage and analyse it, you will be able to find out all kinds of things, how often she drinks, how often she eats in or how often she cooks, if she isn't very bright you should also be able to get her credit card numbers.

I mean jesus christ man up and talk to her.

Blake T on
  • Options
    LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    Does she drive, maybe if you know what kind of car she drives you can leave a note under her wiper?

Just write that you think she is cute and leave a link to your Facebook page if you have one. Anything more is stalker-ish.

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    That's already stalkerish. Just ask her out or don't.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited April 2008
    Does she drive, maybe if you know what kind of car she drives you can leave a note under her wiper?

Just write that you think she is cute and leave a link to your Facebook page if you have one. Anything more is stalker-ish.

have you ever even met a woman

Tube on
  • Options
    peilpeil Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES DO THIS.

Put yourself in her spot for a minute...Some guy knows what car I drive, OMG! Time to call cousin Lenny/Police.

peil on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    peil wrote: »

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES DO THIS.

Put yourself in her spot for a minute...Some guy knows what car I drive, OMG! Time to call cousin Lenny/Police.

Seriously. This is a fucking terrible, creepy idea.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Do not do anything anonymous. Ever. I know what you're thinking... a bunch of flowers with an anonymous note is cute and romantic. ITS NOT - ITS CREEPY!

If you take one thing from this whole thread, it should be sympathy that asking a girl out can be hard, but despite that do not "try and find out about her". Just ask her to a movie or something casual.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008

Yeah, sounds crazy but it worked, the girl called and we went out that night. Didn't work out as she had a kid and just got out of a marriage :shock:

I think my idea is better than putting her on the spot at her job. Plus giving a link to his social page shows that he is making himself non-anonymous, shows his interests and such.

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    Kate of LokysKate of Lokys Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So, you're saying that your crazy idea worked on a crazy desperate single mom on the rebound? Fine. For the rest of us here in the World of Normalcy, slipping a note under someone's wiper with a link to your Facebook relationship status is fucking creepy.

OP, just talk to her, as others have said. She won't think it's weird or offensive, and it won't become awkward unless you go out of your way to make it so. Ask once, then if she says no, drop it. Don't ask again unless she gives you a really fucking obvious hint. As in, you ask her out tomorrow, she blushes and says "Oh, that's sweet, but I'm actually in a relationship!", then two weeks later she makes a point of telling you "I broke up with my boyfriend last week." Then you can ask again. Otherwise, don't.

Kate of Lokys on
  • Options
    SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Step 1: Ask her for her name.

Then you at least have some sort of association. Until then, you're just Anonymous Shopper #4 in the movie of her life.

Sarcastro on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Girls get hit on at my work all the time.
    Unless the guy does something creepy/stupid/embarassing, it's never awkward. They usually just mention they have boyfriends, and that's the end of it.
    So just go for it.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    apotheos wrote: »
    Strike up a conversation on any topic. Keep it light and funny. If it lasts 5 minutes then you can easily just slip in "Hey...are you seeing someone?"

If the answer is yes just say "Oh, ok." and keep talking about what you were talking about until you can bring things to a more natural conclusion.

This strategy works wonders as more than once I've gotten later dates out of using it. It shows you are civil, easy to talk to, not afraid of rejection, and totally interested in her for more than just romantic intentions.

Guys apotheos basically posted the best advice I've ever seen in a how to talk to girls thread. Follow his lead.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Yeah, sounds crazy but it worked, the girl called and we went out that night. Didn't work out as she had a kid and just got out of a marriage :shock:

I think my idea is better than putting her on the spot at her job. Plus giving a link to his social page shows that he is making himself non-anonymous, shows his interests and such.

It also shows that he's more willing to stalk her than to talk to her. It's creepy.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008

I think your idea proves to her that you know what she drives, where she parks, when you can be there without her catching you (showing that you know roughly when SHE will be there) and that you have a sexual attraction to her.

The only girl who's going to follow that up as a totally sweet lead on an obviously normal, decent dude is the sort of girl who's desperate for any kind of romantic contact. IE, a lady with a kid fresh out of a bad marriage.

This is not a good way to meet normal women. It is a good way to get a police file started up on you, though.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008

That's truly terrible.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Yeah, OP, if you haven't gotten by this point that you just need to take the plunge, you're hopeless.

Do not follow LondonBridge's advice.

Thanatos on
This discussion has been closed.