As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The reason I still sometimes shop at EBStop starts on 4/30

2»

• Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Shit, and this sale is over already? Damnation. Fuckers would have that kind of sale during the week when rent is due. :x

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Oh yeah, so I picked up Ico, Zack and Wiki, and the FFXII collector's edition yesterday, along with a used Rockband mic.

Evander on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    There are stories upon stories of people gaming this sale and others like it for personal profit. I love it.

Oh look, I got 3 used games for 40, turn that into a 100 dollars worth of credit somewhere else, eventually get a PS3 for half price or less, resell that for cash...

I love it.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Rainbow Six Vegas 2, Stranglehold, and No More Heroes. I didn't make out with the "maximum value" for a free game, exactly, but I'm happy with what I got.

Also got The World Ends With You for the wife, so she's happy as well. :P

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yggdra Union, Mega Man Zero 4, Breath of Fire II=22 bucks.

Did I do ok?

I know I'd value both YU and MMZ4 individually at twice what you paid for the lot, so... good deal!

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    There are stories upon stories of people gaming this sale and others like it for personal profit. I love it.

Oh look, I got 3 used games for 40, turn that into a 100 dollars worth of credit somewhere else, eventually get a PS3 for half price or less, resell that for cash...

I love it.

I managed to find a complete and excellent-condition copy of Etrian Odyssey that will likely fund most of my other two purchases (Apollo Justice and Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters). :D

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I never understand the stories of people buying games to trade up for more value elsewhere. It seems like too much time and effort, not to mention the money you're likely to spend on gas driving yourself around. I'd rather just spend the money I make in a few hours of work at my real job than go to all that trouble in my free time.

Can anybody explain the allure to me?

Captain K on
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I imagine some people enjoy the act. Kind of like people who enjoy playing the market in MMOs.

I almost took advantage of this deal because I saw a sued copy of Okami. It was in my hands, and I desired it. Then I realized buying a used copy wouldn't benefit the developers or publisher and said fuck it, I'll buy a new copy. Because why support giant corporations like Gamestop when I can support giant corporations like Capcom who actually do stuff?

Accualt on
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    They're sticking it to the man and it's cool

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Captain K wrote: »
    I never understand the stories of people buying games to trade up for more value elsewhere. It seems like too much time and effort, not to mention the money you're likely to spend on gas driving yourself around. I'd rather just spend the money I make in a few hours of work at my real job than go to all that trouble in my free time.

CAG is filled with legendary tales, a lot of them very YMMV and dependent on clearance stock and regional stores such as GameCrazy that offer far better trade-in values than EBStop. I think a lot of the die-hard CAGs are the SlickDeals/FatWallet types that love bargain-hunting regardless of time involved, but even I've taken part in smaller deals. It's not worth it if you don't have a lot of things in your area, but if you're in, say, midtown Manhattan, where I have about four EBStops, a Toys R Us, a Best Buy and two Circuit Cities all within walking distance, it's a nice way to spend a lunch break or two. :) The mall by my house actually has four EBStops in it, so I typically walk around to see what each one has.

At one point Harvest Moon DS was on clearance at Best Buy for $10, and it had a regular EBStop trade-in value of $10. Apples to apples, but then if you paired it with a Best Buy coupon for $5 off any DS game and an EBStop promotion where you got an extra $10 for trading in two DS games, it essentially meant that you could buy the game for $5 and trade it in for $15. Do that a few times and it pays for a free game or two.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Hmm, that makes sense. I guess it really depends on how close all the retailers are to each other. If you can turn a lunch break spent browsing game stores into free money, then I can see why you'd do it. :P

Captain K on
  • tachyontachyon Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

It's the "I feel like I'm stealing/getting something for nothing' mentality. Why does my wife buy ugly ass shoes for me? Because they were on sale, or buy one get on half off. Not that I needed shoes, or not that they were even a nice pair of shoes, but shit they were on sale.

Almost the same thing with the hybrid car people, thinking they are somehow saving money. Guy in my office bought a Escape hybrid....
    Now the base Ford Escape gets 20/26 mpg, with a base price of $19,140. Escape Hybrid gets 34/30 mpg, base price of $26,640. Doing a little math, @ 10,000 miles a year, with the average of the city/hwy, the base Escape cost about $1521 in gas/year (@ 3.50 a gallon). The hybrid costs about $1093 in gas/year. In order to get the 'savings' it would take a little over 17 years to recoup the intial premium. (That's if this guy bought cash, forgetting the interesting he is paying for the car as it is.)

But the price of gas is going up! Even at $5 a gallon, then it takes 12 years to recoup.

But I'm getting off the subject....

tachyon on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

I've found the whole CAG scene fascinating since I first learned about it a few years back. Basically it is mainly comprised of thirty something stay at home dads and a few renegade stick it to the man twenty somethings with a flair for saving.

Now normally gaming the used games trade is kinda a crap shoot. Gamestop sets the trade in value's too low most of the time, so you're only making a few bucks here and there buying clearance merchandise from the big box chains. So either you get lucky and find something that can be sold on Amazon for a lot like a rare Atlus game in good shape or you wait for certain trade in deals to make just a few bucks more.

That is of course if there isn't a Gamecrazy/New Look Blockbuster in your area.

Gamecrazy doesn't update their trade in list as often and usually offers at least 40% more on games.

You get all this credit and suddenly you have all the games you ever wanted by gaming the system. Even better is that sometimes they clearance out used games at below the Gamestop trade in value because of the slow updates, so you can completely play the system with very little actual work involved.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    edited May 2008

A lot of people forget to factor in the cost of gas, or the value of their time.

Every once in a while I'll see a couple of promotions that give a larger net, and take advantage of it, but I don't go out of my way for it. I'd earn more money by just spending that time working, you know.

Evander on
    edited May 2008
    tachyon wrote: »
    Almost the same thing with the hybrid car people, thinking they are somehow saving money. Guy in my office bought a Escape hybrid....
    Now the base Ford Escape gets 20/26 mpg, with a base price of $19,140. Escape Hybrid gets 34/30 mpg, base price of $26,640. Doing a little math, @ 10,000 miles a year, with the average of the city/hwy, the base Escape cost about $1521 in gas/year (@ 3.50 a gallon). The hybrid costs about $1093 in gas/year. In order to get the 'savings' it would take a little over 17 years to recoup the intial premium. (That's if this guy bought cash, forgetting the interesting he is paying for the car as it is.)

But the price of gas is going up! Even at $5 a gallon, then it takes 12 years to recoup.

But I'm getting off the subject....

Pretty good, but you forgot a few factors.

1) People with Hybrids are often inclined to drive more, ceterus paribus, because they feel they can afford a little more gas.

2) The value that using less gas has for the environment/the future

3) The sense of satisfaction that the owner gains from thinking about 2)

Overall, though, you're still right about it being more expensive. In an economic sense, though, you could say that 3) actually makes up the difference in value. In fact, that is HOW you would work out the value of it; by subtracting out the difference.

Evander on
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    All I know is, I got Conan, Stranglehold, and Madden 08 for 48 bucks and that's not bad.

Peen on