As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GAME ON] GTA4 on PS3 Lonely Hearts Club Band

• GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    You can actually remove my name from the list. I'm not really digging the multiplayer.

There... there's something wrong.. with you.

Is it possible to have a split of the list with North America and the UK separated? Having UK people join a game in the USA or vice versa will introduce some nasty lag.

But, please add me. PSN: EvilMonkeySlayer.

I currently do not own a headset.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Do phone-based Bluetooth Handsfree units (e.g. a Sony Ericsson one) work with the PS3?

Just a question.

Senshi on
  • DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Great time last night, fellas. Really enjoyed it. But since this is the PS3 thread for this game, I'm having a couple strange issues:

1: Twice last night, multiplayer locked the console up. I haven't had any other issues with the game thus far, but multiplayer seems to especially bork it.

2: In our cops and robbers game, I had to drive. Which was okay, except it lost us the game. But, as soon as we spawned for the round, my console got CHOPPY. Real bad. It went away, but still...

3: Sorry that I bailed on the last game, but as soon as we spawned for the game, it said everyone left my game. No clue why.

4: And this isn't related to multiplayer, but, so far, this has happened twice: when I try to quit the game, my console beeps at me a couple times, and then reboots. Anyone else?

60GB original PS3, if that matters.

Otherwise, looking forward to making this a weekly affair. And for those of you without headsets, get one. You ruined our Faggio-only race.

DietarySupplement on
  • DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Senshi wrote: »
    Do phone-based Bluetooth Handsfree units (e.g. a Sony Ericsson one) work with the PS3?

Just a question.

Yes. I was using my Jawbone last night.

DietarySupplement on
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm up for some mid-day Saturday and Sunday gaming fun with any Europe folks, or people that don't mind me introducing a bit of lag in to the game (my connection is decent enough though).

Got this launch day and have only had chance to complete the first loan shark mission. Lack of time is annoying.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • TroyTroy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    1. PSN: troykark/ yes I have a head set.

2. I use a USB head set and I love it. There is a lot less hassle then the bluetooth I was using, and its easier to mute myself, and adjust the volume. For anyone that might have an old analog headset sitting around (with the audio jacks) I bought a USB to analog converter and it works really well on the PS3. It was 5$ at monoprice, and it shipped in 2 days or something ridiculous like that.

3. I have found a new past time of hopping in a helicopter hunting down other players, and then trying to hit them with my own body as I fly from 2000 feet in the air.

Troy on
  • BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Dashui wrote: »
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    how can i turn my headset's output volume up? its so quiet you cant hear anything basically. i couldnt find a global system option for it or an in game one in gta4. ive got a logitech usb headset that i bought yesterday for this game. in the ps3 chatroom app theres an output volume control so i can get it to a hearable level, but that doesnt seem to affect anything outside the chatroom.

That seems to be a general problem. It's nigh impossible to hear anyone in the Metal Gear Online beta, even when you double the mic volume through the in-game options. It's slightly better in Warhawk, but still difficult. I haven't looked yet, but I wonder if it's something we can change in the Playstation 3 settings instead of in-game. If you can't, then it's something that really needs to be addressed.
    hmm....i myself have a logitech usb headset and everybody is fine...there is a ps3 setting panel for all headsets to adjust these levels....i don't remember exactly what it's called but it was pretty evident to me when i was looking through the ps3 setting dealie

in other news, great time last night.....we had some problems, and i'm a terrible police car driver (especially when we had one guy left on their team and i just drove over the side of the freeway when i didn't even have to be moving at the time..oops!!!!), but overall it was great....i'm sure we'll get used to it all at some point and it won't be so chaotic...haha....i'm up to play whenever anybody else wants to, if you see me on, send me an invite

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Jaef...again, sorry I had to bail, but I did get in a fun couple rounds of Cops n Crooks. I guess I'm retarded though, as I was just driving to the waypoint and not realizing that we had to "GET TO DA CHOPPA!" Probably better that way, though....I probably would have slammed into the chopper and pushed it into the water. Actually, I think that might be what happened when I was on the Cops side.

Ugh, tonight we have in-laws over for dinner. And then there's Earl, The Office, 30 Rock, and Lost (no, I didn't mention Scrubs....not a fan). I might be able squeeze in a few minutes here and there, but I probably will just play single player tonight.

RandomHajile on
  • RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm not playing online yet, nor do I really plan on playing online anytime soon. Single player is just too much fun at the moment and interesting. But if I'm ever on and you need someone to play with or whatever, feel free to drop me a line.

Ryadic/Ryadic/Yes

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • BretzyBretzy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Add my name to the list please.

Bretzy / Bretzy / yes

Bretzy on
    Even tho I seek perfection, I wear my scars with pride.
  • SvevinSvevin Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Chance wrote: »
    What's the best headset for the PS3?

If you decide to get a bluetooth headset, I would recommend avoiding the motorola h500. It's the one I have and it can be a real pain sometimes. Sometimes it has trouble syncing with the ps3, and sometimes it will actually cause your ps3 controller to stop working wirelessly, causing you to plug in your ps3 controller and restart your ps3. I've heard people speculate that the reason is that it's a 1.2 bluetooth device. Even though the ps3 is supposed to be backwards compatible with all versions of bluetooth headsets, I've heard that the 2.0 bluetooth headsets work a lot better on the ps3.

Last night was lots of fun. I'll have my headset fully charged and working before I start playing next time. If it gives me trouble, I'm going to breakdown and get a usb wired headset this weekend. Add me to the list:

Svevin / Kevko / yes

Svevin on
    steam_sig.png
  • MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Please be adding me to list thanks:

MistaCreepy/MistaCreepy/Yes

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
  • TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The Gerbil/TheGerbil/No.

I use ventrilo for chatting. If you guys come on vent to play GTA4 it makes it a lot easier to set up actually.

TheGerbil on
    edited May 2008
    TheGerbil wrote: »
    The Gerbil/TheGerbil/No.

I use ventrilo for chatting. If you guys come on vent to play GTA4 it makes it a lot easier to set up actually.
    i wish i could...currently i don't have a router though so i have to switch my ethernet cable between the ps3 and pc...meaning i can't have pc on when ps3 is..haha...one of these days i'll be less lazy

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    My PC isn't in the same room as my PS3, so that's not possible for me.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2008
    Anyone in the UK managed to play tonight? Not been able to get on at all tonight. Just the fun cannot connect message.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    edited May 2008
    Nah, I had no luck either.

Also you're really near to me! *waves*

Mr_Grinch on
    edited May 2008
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »

That means an automatic friend invite then, hey I can see you from here!

What... what are you doing with your trousers down? ...

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Add me to the list:

GnomeTank / GnomeTank / No*

* I would like to get one, but unlike the 360 voice experience which is ubiquitous and easy to figure out, I have no idea what kind of headset to even begin to buy for the PS3. Any good suggestions? Will any old Blue Tooth ear piece work?

e: Oh look, someone already answered this, wonderful. Or, at least sort of. I see one recommendation, any others?

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    edited May 2008
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Add me to the list:

* I would like to get one, but unlike the 360 voice experience which is ubiquitous and easy to figure out, I have no idea what kind of headset to even begin to buy for the PS3. Any good suggestions? Will any old Blue Tooth ear piece work?

From what I have been able to discern yes, i'll probably get round to buying one online or something.

But from what i've so far experienced the PS3 seems pretty compatible with USB and bluetooth stuff.

For example there's a metric ton of them here.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • HalibutHalibut Passion Fish Swimming in obscurity.Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    GrimReaper wrote: »
    Add me to the list:

From what I have been able to discern yes, i'll probably get round to buying one online or something.

But from what i've so far experienced the PS3 seems pretty compatible with USB and bluetooth stuff.

The answer is probably no to this, but can you use one of those headsets that connects to a usb mini port and connect it to the port on the controller itself? Because that would be awesome.

Halibut on
  • BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Just got my PS3 copy 30 min ago. I want to make sure it runs well, so I'm waiting back on feed back to see if I should reformat my PS3 harddrive before I do the initial install.

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • QuestionMarkManQuestionMarkMan Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    ok what the hell

I was just driving around and drove through a gas station. I turn around and look at the 2 cabs that were parked there and one car pulls up next to them and explodes, followed by more cars pulling up and exploding

QuestionMarkMan on
    edited May 2008
    Halibut wrote: »
    Add me to the list:

The answer is probably no to this, but can you use one of those headsets that connects to a usb mini port and connect it to the port on the controller itself? Because that would be awesome.

Isn't the usb port on the controller just meant for charging the controller essentially?

Although yes, it would be pretty cool if you could plug in a usb headset to the controller and it would then be able to bridge via the bluetooth in the controller.
    It'd probably drain the battery something nasty though.
    Just got my PS3 copy 30 min ago. I want to make sure it runs well, so I'm waiting back on feed back to see if I should reformat my PS3 harddrive before I do the initial install.

Since I got GTA 4 with my PS3 I started with it wiped, so I don't know whether it helped or not. The only issues i've had are 3 freezes where it froze for about one tenth of a second (100ms) and there are troubles getting online with the multiplayer. Most likely due to the servers getting hammered.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    edited May 2008
    i started with mine unwiped and i've had only the small really short video freezes that still allow the audio to play and the video catches up..never totally frozen

and the multiplayer is the same for everyone on the ps3...issues getting connected because the servers are hammered

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
    edited May 2008

Since I got GTA 4 with my PS3 I started with it wiped, so I don't know whether it helped or not. The only issues i've had are 3 freezes where it froze for about one tenth of a second (100ms) and there are troubles getting online with the multiplayer. Most likely due to the servers getting hammered.

Which PS3 model do you have, and are you using dual shock?

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2008
    I have the 60G, I just want to make sure I can do everything in my power to have this run right. If theres to much slow down its going to kill it for me... which is not what I want at all.

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SvevinSvevin Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm bored at work and I just wanted to say that last night was a blast.

Also, do not let DietarySupplement drive. Ever. Haha, that Cops n' Crooks game where I was on his team of cops and he spawned as the driver, that was one interesting ride!

Svevin on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2008

Which PS3 model do you have, and are you using dual shock?

Just the standard 40GB model, I bought it as part of the GTA 4 pack.

Just the standard PS3 controller, which frankly i'm perfectly happy with. I've never particularly liked vibrating controllers, it always detracts from the game for me.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    May as well add me to the list. I just got GTA IV with my new HDTV, so I'm ready to go.

Radikal_Dreamer/RDreamer/Yes

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I updated the OP to sort the list by region. There were a lot of people I could figure out since they had real locations in their profiles, or it was in the MGO thread. Everyone else can PM me or mention in the thread (more likely to catch it via PM).

Second point on the evening, someone mentioned Ventrilo for chat. How many people would prefer to completely sidestep voice chat via PSN in favor of everyone being on Vent? I personally have never used it, so I'd like some input on the matter.

Dirty on
  • slacktronslacktron Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Does the PS3 version support mouse aiming?

Signs point to "no", but thought I'd ask...

slacktron on
    slacktron_zombie_fighter_sig.jpg
  • xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    xwonderboyx/ xwonderboyx/ yes

Eastern Time Zone

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Dirty wrote: »
    I updated the OP to sort the list by region. There were a lot of people I could figure out since they had real locations in their profiles, or it was in the MGO thread. Everyone else can PM me or mention in the thread (more likely to catch it via PM).

Second point on the evening, someone mentioned Ventrilo for chat. How many people would prefer to completely sidestep voice chat via PSN in favor of everyone being on Vent? I personally have never used it, so I'd like some input on the matter.

Umm, unless I am being dense, wouldn't this require a laptop or a PC near my TV? This is not the case for a large percentage of us, I would imagine. Unless I am in the minority here with no computers near my TV (I know people have media PC's...but are you going to run a headset from there to your couch?)

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm in Korea, so my time zone is currently thirteen hours ahead of EST (sixteen hours ahead of PST for those scoring at home). I'll be up for some online play over the weekend, but at 9 PM EST I'm usually getting ready for work on weekdays. Oh yeah, I have a headset too, though I've barely used it. If you ever see me online hit me up for multiplayer, because I'm a shut-in that will spend time in Liberty City all alone unless prompted to do otherwise.

langfor6 on
  • YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Ahh I neglected to mention my location. I am in the USA, I have a mic, but left it back in Georgia, so no voice till I get back on the 9th. I'm down for a game whenever.

Yoshua on
    edited May 2008
    Been playing now for about 6 hours, no slow downs or freezes. 60G dec 06 PS3. Very happy :D

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I was able to get into some quick-match team deathmatches today.

Holy fun batman... that's all I can say. Awesome. If lag was a problem, I never noticed it. And I'm having trouble thinking of another game where, while driving a ferrari, you need to unload a few clips of uzi fire into the bus that's DRIVEN ON TOP OF YOUR CAR.

It was fucking awesome. He had just squished a teammate, I was sitting in my car in the middle of the road and spraying the gargantuan machine with my uzi, the camera pointing backwards at him over my car. He lines up for me and starts coming, but I keep the camera where it is and hit the gas, easily outpacing him while I keep shooting. Eventually I try for a 180, which doesn't turn out quite like I hope - I smack into a building - and he rides right up on top of me, shooting with his pistol while I keep up the uzi fire.

Awesome, awesome, awesome. Can't wait for some PA games.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    BEAST! wrote: »
    Dashui wrote: »
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    how can i turn my headset's output volume up? its so quiet you cant hear anything basically. i couldnt find a global system option for it or an in game one in gta4. ive got a logitech usb headset that i bought yesterday for this game. in the ps3 chatroom app theres an output volume control so i can get it to a hearable level, but that doesnt seem to affect anything outside the chatroom.

That seems to be a general problem. It's nigh impossible to hear anyone in the Metal Gear Online beta, even when you double the mic volume through the in-game options. It's slightly better in Warhawk, but still difficult. I haven't looked yet, but I wonder if it's something we can change in the Playstation 3 settings instead of in-game. If you can't, then it's something that really needs to be addressed.
    hmm....i myself have a logitech usb headset and everybody is fine...there is a ps3 setting panel for all headsets to adjust these levels....i don't remember exactly what it's called but it was pretty evident to me when i was looking through the ps3 setting dealie

under system settings>audio device settings you can adjust the mic input volume, but not the headset output volume. if you know where there is a headset output volume control in the ps3 settings it would be much appreciated, because ive looked through every menu i can think of. either its not there, or im blind or something. it would be kind of stupid for there not to be one somewhere, but...

anyone?

Ah_Pook on
    edited May 2008
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »

That means an automatic friend invite then, hey I can see you from here!

What... what are you doing with your trousers down? ...

It was a Naked Thursday!

Mr_Grinch on