As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[SPOILERS in TAGS] MGS4: Guns Of The Patriots - "I'm no hero..."

• GlassjawGlassjaw Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    sigh, I was doing so well, dodging this mine field of spoilers, untill a supposed metal gear 2 spoiler ends up giving away the ending of mgs 4. Bring back the MGS spoiler thread because having 95% of posts being spoiler tagged days before a games release is annoying to say the least

Glassjaw on
  • AJAlkaline40AJAlkaline40 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    titmouse wrote: »
    glithert wrote: »
    Ok, I like MGS. A lot.
    But that is some crazy shit.
    I mean, it does explain everything, but god damn

I imagine that there is going to be a backlash a few months after the game is released like with MGS2.
    I don't see why. The shit's totally crazy, but it's consistent with MGS insane retcon logic. It makes sense if you forget a few things and change a few things, that's how the MGS series has always been.

AJAlkaline40 on
    idiot.jpg
  • glithertglithert Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Glassjaw wrote: »
    sigh, I was doing so well, dodging this mine field of spoilers, untill a supposed metal gear 2 spoiler ends up giving away the ending of mgs 4. Bring back the MGS spoiler thread because having 95% of posts being spoiler tagged days before a games release is annoying to say the least

Did you miss the part where the TWO moderators told us to put spoilers in tags in this thread
    Dumbass

glithert on
  • parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Well, really, to be honest, I don't see what's more convincing about a guy being possessed by a ghost that's in his arm than a guy being possessed by a ghost in general. The only thing that doesn't make sense is the fact that he didn't advertise that his father was a spirit medium.

The whole thing was so far fetched to begin with. I don't know why anyone would be convinced period.

parabola on
  • DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    What's the story with the picture in the pause menu in MGS2? You know, where a general map of Arsenal Gear should be? It looks like a..turtle with a...snake-ish...thing...on it.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Did you miss the part where the TWO moderators told us to put spoilers in tags in this thread
    Dumbass

HAHA no you missed the point.

MGS4 spoiler....marked as metal gear 2 spoiler.

Someone's been an ass here, and it's not him.

Glassjaw, report the person who didn't mark his spoilers please. (I'm not clicking it to find out.)

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    Oh man, fuck it I'm done with this thread.

God damn't. We can't have anything nice.

Can't even spoiler shit without fucking revealing stuff.

DarkWarrior on
  • parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Dumbass

Glassjaw, report the person who didn't mark his spoilers please. (I'm not clicking it to find out.)

The first post was a MGS2 spoiler.... The responses after were ambiguous.

parabola on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Raziel_pm wrote: »
    agoaj wrote: »
    Nuzak wrote: »
    um regarding big boss's remains [metal gear 2: solid snake spoilers]
    in mg2 i think big boss was in the epicentre of a gigantic snake-related explosion

i personally am surprised there were any remains left
    Wasn't...
    he roasted by Snake's impromptu flamethrower?
    Yup. He still blew up when he died.
    The way it goes is that after Snake torched BB, the Patriots nabbed him and Grey Fox. Dr. Clark(a.k.a Para-Medic) ran her experiments on Grey Fox turning him into the crazed Cyborg Ninja we all know. Menawhile, she puts BB into suspended animation. Grey Fox eventually escapes and kills Para-Medic, and the Patriots use the remains of Liquid and Solidus' body to reconstruct the damaged body of BB. He comes out of the suspended animation when the Patriots are destroyed in MGS4, and goes to meet Snake at the graveyard.

Anyone else wanna talk spoilers? Truly this is the perfect end to this story. Makes you wanna cry with what happens.
    I only caught like the first sentence of the spoiler (I'm looking down while I'm typing this), but fuck you for turning a discussion about MG2 into an MGS4 spoiler without labeling it as such.

EDIT: Oh looks like Iw as beaten to the punch.

Speed Racer on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN

The_Scarab on
  • glithertglithert Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Dumbass

Well see, I'm cool with the first part. By all means, report that guy. But complaining about spoilers in this thread is stupid.

glithert on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    parabola wrote: »

Dumbass

The first post was a MGS2 spoiler.... The responses after were ambiguous.

So what you just don't pay attention to social conventions in the forum you frequent? That's a little worrying mate. In no world is what happened ok.

@gilhert: Cool bunnies.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • BuhamutZeoBuhamutZeo Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Mmm, you guys should come inside the box.

BuhamutZeo on
    MyBanner.jpg
    BRAWL: 1160-9686-9416
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN

T I M E P A R A D O X

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
    edited June 2008
    Let me just say, being in the spoiler zone is nice. It's warm in here. Nice. Like knowing full well that I can browse the internet in peace without fear or doubt.

Oh look, a youtube video. Let's go read the comments!. Snake does what? Oh I already know that ha haaaaa.

The only downside is that the only reason Im in the spoiler zone is because I cant play the game until the 8th of NEXT month. Ad I decided that staying off the internet for a month wasnt worth MGS4 spoiler free'ness.

The_Scarab on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Let me just say, being in the spoiler zone is nice. It's warm in here. Nice. Like knowing full well that I can browse the internet in peace without fear or doubt.

Oh look, a youtube video. Let's go read the comments!. Snake does what? Oh I already know that ha haaaaa.

The only downside is that the only reason Im in the spoiler zone is because I cant play the game until the 8th of NEXT month. Ad I decided that staying off the internet for a month wasnt worth MGS4 spoiler free'ness.

I dunno that's how it was for me and Bioshock and I just mashed the back button when I realized that someone was spoiling something. I managed to dodge the plot twist for something like 3 months.

Speed Racer on
    edited June 2008
    Yeah but unlike Bioshock legions of malicious people are out there actively working to spoil the plot of MGS4.

The_Scarab on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yeah but unlike Bioshock legions of malicious people are out there actively working to spoil the plot of MGS4.

The don't go looking at gamefaqs forums or reading the comment section of MGS4 youtube videos. Really, it's not that hard to avoid getting a game spoiled for you. You only have to wait a month to play the game. I don't know why you'd want to have everything intentionally spoiled for you before you get a chance to play it yourself when the wait to do so isn't that long. But hey, that's just me. You're free to do whatever you want, of course.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
    edited June 2008
    Let me add the caveat that I work with people who are these said malicious people, seeking to ruin it.

I may in fact get a phonecall at midnight and I pick up and it is 'HAHA SNAKE IS A GIRL' or whatever.

Happened with Halo 3. Only in reverse. I ruined that for a load of people.

Dont worry. We aren't assholes. Its kind of a tradition and sort of a social challenge, to be more and more creative in how you spoil something.

Basically, when you have to play a game for review, or get a shitstorm of prerelease media thrown your way its kinda hard to hold off like everyone else for the spoiler free pristine run. Sometimes, for something SO huge it is better to bite the bullet.

I also have no real vested interest in the MGS plotline either. Gameplay is great, couldnt give two shits who these people are or what they do.

The_Scarab on
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Dashui wrote: »

The don't go looking at gamefaqs forums or reading the comment section of MGS4 youtube videos. Really, it's not that hard to avoid getting a game spoiled for you. You only have to wait a month to play the game. I don't know why you'd want to have everything intentionally spoiled for you before you get a chance to play it yourself when the wait to do so isn't that long. But hey, that's just me. You're free to do whatever you want, of course.

Personally, I've never understood the issue with spoilers. A story worth telling is worth telling twice, and should continue to have emotional resonance and impact the viewer/reader/player, regardless of whether they know what's coming.

People watch movies, play games, read books multiple times...there must be a reason no? Certainly the story has already been "ruined", yet it's still an enjoyable experience.

If anything, I get more pumped knowing when a particularly awesome sequence or plot point is coming than I would if I had no idea.

Vincent Grayson on
  • AJAlkaline40AJAlkaline40 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    Dashui wrote: »

Personally, I've never understood the issue with spoilers. A story worth telling is worth telling twice, and should continue to have emotional resonance and impact the viewer/reader/player, regardless of whether they know what's coming.

People watch movies, play games, read books multiple times...there must be a reason no? Certainly the story has already been "ruined", yet it's still an enjoyable experience.

If anything, I get more pumped knowing when a particularly awesome sequence or plot point is coming than I would if I had no idea.

That, however, doesn't really work with plot twists. If something was supposed to be hidden from you the entire length of the story and then you find out the real truth at the end and then are forced to reflect on how it all made sense, etc, etc, it's a much different experience. For instance, Bioshock would be an entirely different game if you knew the plot twist the entire game.

However, I do have to say, spoilers really help in horror games. For instance, I was basically unable to complete Silent Hill 2 because I had a rough idea of when pyramid head would show up and I absolutely dreaded each new area as I anticipated that this might be where he's supposed to show up.

AJAlkaline40 on
    idiot.jpg
  • mooshoeporkmooshoepork Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Wait, I haven't read this since yesterday, did what TSR say would happen, actually happen in terms of someone accidentally spoilering incorrectly? Because that's what it sounds like.

I'm out.

mooshoepork on
    edited June 2008
    Wait, I haven't read this since yesterday, did what TSR say would happen, actually happen in terms of someone accidentally spoilering incorrectly? Because that's what it sounds like.

I'm out.

Yup.

Morninglord on
    edited June 2008

I'm out.

Yup.

Jesus fuck. I'm not even gonna say it. Maybe this is a lesson learned for next time. :?

See you all on the 12th.

mooshoepork on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

I'm out.

Yup.

Jesus fuck. I'm not even gonna say it. Maybe this is a lesson learned for next time. :?

See you all on the 12th.

Don't go into threads for games that will be released in a few days?

Couscous on
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I understood it as someone not labelling a spoiler which spoiled something in MGS4.

While quoting something that spoiled something in MGS2.

MechMantis on
    edited June 2008
    MechMantis wrote: »
    I understood it as someone not labelling a spoiler which spoiled something in MGS4.

While quoting something that spoiled something in MGS2.

Basically, except it was Metal Gear 2.

Couscous on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Bunch of whiners. It's less than a week before release...really, what the hell else would be discussed by now except spoilers?

"You getting MGS4?"

"Yep!"

"ME TOO!"

On a side note, I went to Books-A-Million today and found on the new release rack... a novelization of the first MGS. Picked it up, started a chapter in the bathroom, interesting so far...the book starts with the Les Infantes Terribles project.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited June 2008

I'm out.

Yup.

See you all on the 12th.

Don't go into threads for games that will be released in a few days?

How's about don't be a cunt? You are the one that contributed to all this shit you selfish idiot.

mooshoepork on
    edited June 2008
    I wouldn't go around insulting someone who knew a lot of information you don't want to know.

Just saying.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited June 2008
    Bunch of whiners. It's less than a week before release...really, what the hell else would be discussed by now except spoilers?

"You getting MGS4?"

"Yep!"

"ME TOO!"

On a side note, I went to Books-A-Million today and found on the new release rack... a novelization of the first MGS. Picked it up, started a chapter in the bathroom, interesting so far...the book starts with the Les Infantes Terribles project.

Discuss it all you want, just fucking label it properly.

Also an MGS novelization strikes me as a pretty bad idea, as it would just draw even more attention to the cheesiness of the writing. I like the cheesiness, but I don't think it would work out so well as a book.

Speed Racer on
    edited June 2008
    Just report the improperly marked spoiler.

Couscous on
    edited June 2008
    Hilarious MGS4 video in the spoilers

Nothing spoilery at all, and I mean at all, just incredibly funny, Defender posted it in the SE++ thread.

But for the people who are looking for a total blackout regardless, don't watch it.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008

Nothing spoilery at all, and I mean at all, just incredibly funny, Defender posted it in the SE++ thread.

But for the people who are looking for a total blackout regardless, don't watch it.

That's hilarious. I'm also willing to cite that as further evidence that MGS4 is not coming to the 360.

Vincent Grayson on
    edited June 2008
    Video is no longer up.

Couscous on
  • Glenn565Glenn565 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

It's already been taken down.

Glenn565 on
    3DS code:4511-0654-1976
    NNID: Glenn565
    edited June 2008
    Damn...that was the best thing, too.

UnbreakableVow on
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Damn...that was the best thing, too.

Tell us about it then.

I crave knowledge.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Oh where has TSR gone? Away from this thread, afraid of its spoilers, I'm afraid.

Because now would be a really good time for him to pop back in all I told you so. He did tell us so, pages upon pages ago.

You fucking dicks. I'm outta here.

EDIT: Seems that his offenses in this thread were enough to earn him a ban. Too bad, considering he was entirely correct.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
    edited June 2008
    How about the people who keep threatening to leave actually get the hell out of here instead of just telling us they are? Because that would be ideal.

As for that MGS4 video

KINDA SPOILERS BUT NOT REALLY
    It was a Codec conversation with Otacon. He informs Snake that it's time to change the disc. "I know, I know, it's an annoying process, but do you see the disc marked Disc 2?"

"No," Snake replies.

Otacon follows with "Oh, that's right! We're on a PlayStation 3. This is a Blu-ray disc; dual-layered too, so there's no need to switch!"

"DAMN IT OTACON, GET A GRIP!"

"Technology is amazing, huh? Makes you wonder what they'll think of next."

UnbreakableVow on
This discussion has been closed.