As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wedding Ring Indicator

SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
edited May 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Does anyone think that the indication of marriage, by wearing a ring on the left ringfinger started to fall out of style?

I was talking to a woman today that had one and I immediately assumed she was married, but one person pointed out to me that it was not a diamond ring(I thought it was just some type of sapphire, though it may have been much too dark for that) and likely not a wedding ring. Also, I thought she was making eyes at me.

Is the location of the ring a pretty poor indicator?

PSN: Kurahoshi1
Septus on

• Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    Uh... wedding/engagement rings aren't required to be diamond rings. Your friend is an idiot.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    SevorakSevorak Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    As far as I can tell, a ring on the left ring finger is nine times out of ten a wedding or engagement ring. If anything, the diamond ring is falling out of style. It's not that uncommon for a wedding or, more commonly, an engagement ring to be a sapphire or another precious stone.

It's probably a better bet to ask the woman wearing the ring rather than a bunch of nerds on the internet. :P

Sevorak on
    steam_sig.png 3DS: 0748-2282-4229
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Uh... wedding/engagement rings aren't required to be diamond rings. Your friend is an idiot.

Well, that was my first inclination, that it was some weird gemstone.

Septus on
  • Options
    AydrAydr Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yeah. Just a couple weeks ago I ran into an old high school club adviser, and she showed me her new engagement ring. She's into geology, so her fiance got her a kind of blue stone that's only found in eastern Washington.

So, yeah. These things don't always look like the kind of rings you might expect. Although, there is one friend of mine who's worn a ring on his left ring finger for as long as I can remember (since elementary school at least), and he obviously has not been engaged since then.

Aydr on
  • Options
    StaxeonStaxeon Buffalo, NYRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Its getting hard to tell, and this was my wife's arguement when we were picking wedding bands. I didn't want just a plain band because f' that, that's boring. But she was saying she wanted ppl to recognize that I'm a married man and not just some punk who bought a ring at Hot Topic. I thought she was crazy, and I almost picked a tungsten ring with a carbon fiber inlay cuz I liked the look.

One week later we were at the Piercing Pagoda buying a gift for our flower girl. I saw a silver ring with a fake carbon fiber inlay, it looked exactly the same as the one I saw at the jewelry store and it was $20. Yeah, I ate that arguement.

Staxeon on
    Invisible nap is the best nap of all time!
    No man should have that kind of power.
    (Twitter)
  • Options
    Susan DelgadoSusan Delgado Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    It could also have been a "promise ring". I wore a diamond and sapphire promise ring for about 3 years before my ex and I ever got engaged.

Also, I have girlfriends that wear fancy engagement style rings on their left hand to deter unwanted suitors...so if you are really curious or if the girl is giving you really strong signals that she's into you, it's best to just flat out ask.

Susan Delgado on
    Go then, there are other worlds than these.
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Wearing a ring on the left ring-finger should be an engagement/wedding ring. There's always oddballs out there.

The only new thing are diamond rings that are worn on the right hand - "right hand rings." DeBeers decieded men wen't buying enough diamonds in the last 150 years, so now they're getting women to buy them for themselves.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    My wife's wedding ring isn't a diamond at all, and it seems that non-diamond rings are becoming more popular for wedding/engagement use.

Ganluan on
  • Options
    SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yah, non-diamonds are becoming more popular for sure. Also, the motion that some girls wear a ring there to dissuade men seconded and carried. It's not even that they are not looking, it's just that if you're especially lame, that can just point it out and say Not Interested, without followup.

I didn't even recognize this as an issue until I started going out with someone hotter than the surface of the sun; apparantly a large portion of her day is based around the rejection of men, and there are times when she has less patience to deal with it than others.

Ring pointing seems like a pretty mild, effective rejection. So if that's the worst you'll get, it might make the asking easier.

Sarcastro on
  • Options
    vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Septus wrote: »
    I don't know if the location is a bad indicator or not, but I know just asking her about the ring would likely yield much clearer information. You don't even have to be all that forward about it, just make an off-hand comment about how it's nice-looking ring, and kind of different and interesting for an engagement ring. If it's not an engagement ring, she'll likely tell you as much. I'd say it's probably a promise ring or engagement ring, but hey, you never know.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I don't know if the location is a bad indicator or not, but I know just asking her about the ring would likely yield much clearer information. You don't even have to be all that forward about it, just make an off-hand comment about how it's nice-looking ring, and kind of different and interesting for an engagement ring. If it's not an engagement ring, she'll likely tell you as much. I'd say it's probably a promise ring or engagement ring, but hey, you never know.

It was not exactly the best situation(loud bar, trivia night) for thorough conversation.

Septus on
  • Options
    Susan DelgadoSusan Delgado Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

It was not exactly the best situation(loud bar, trivia night) for thorough conversation.

In that case, maybe a comment like "I couldn't help but notice your ring, is it alright if I buy you a drink/take you out sometime/etc."?

When I was engaged I got asked similar things from nice guys from time to time when I was out with just girl friends...I was always nice and told them that I appreciated it, and I was taken/it was an engagement ring, but if they would still like to chat/buy me a drink that it was welcome.

I don't mean "welcome" as in "c'mon over to my place later" either...just that if they still wanted to buy a round after learning my dating status then it was appreciated.

Susan Delgado on
    Go then, there are other worlds than these.
  • Options
    GophermasterGophermaster Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    My wife has no diamond either, but it's still a wedding ring, voted your friend is an idiot.

Gophermaster on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Hmm, she has a live-in boyfriend. Guess it falls into the category of driving off guys or possibly a promise ring.

Septus on
  • Options
    CooterTKECooterTKE Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    my wife doesn't wear her ring that often because she is allergic to metal and it causes her issues. I know a few others who have non-diamond rings and wear them on the middle finger of their left hands.

CooterTKE on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Like other people have said, the diamond has gotten a lot of bad press due to practices going on in Africa. Many socially conscious people are opting for non-diamond engagement rings because of this. But generally speaking, a ring worn on the left ring finger indicates marriage/engagement.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    TigressTigress Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    When the subject of engagement rings came up, I told Vyolynce "no diamonds". Not only because of the BS going on in West Africa, but also because diamonds are, well, boring. It's just highly compressed carbon.

So my engagement ring is yellow gold laid over white with a ruby and a white and black pearl on either side. And our wedding bands are white gold with intertwining hearts etched in them.

And, according to custom, I wear the wedding band on my left hand ("closest to the heart") and the engagement ring on the right ("closest to the wallet"). :wink:

Tigress on
    Kat's Play
    On the subject of death and daemons disappearing: arrows sure are effective in Lyra's universe. Seems like if you get shot once, you're dead - no lingering deaths with your daemon huddling pitifully in your arms, just *thunk* *argh* *whoosh*. A battlefield full of the dying would just be so much more depressing when you add in wailing gerbils and dogs.
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    Assume that anyone wearing a ring on THAT finger is either very taken, or an idiot. Either way, you're better off not pursuing it.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    MurphysParadoxMurphysParadox Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Any ring on the left ring finger is an indication of commitment to some level. In most cases, wedding rings are simple bands - it is the engagement ring that is the big rock deal. In my case, there was no engagement ring (got her a new computer) and then bought matching Zirconium (pure metal) rings at about $200 a pop at www.absolutetitanium.com (gets quite a lot of comments). Of course, even though I bought the rings, she doesn't wear it because she doesn't like jewelery, so its for the best that it was only $200.

MurphysParadox on
    Murphy's Law: Whatever can go wrong will go wrong.
    Murphy's Paradox: The more you plan, the more that can go wrong. The less you plan, the less likely your plan will succeed.
  • Options
    PeekingDuckPeekingDuck __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    CooterTKE wrote: »
    my wife doesn't wear her ring that often because she is allergic to metal and it causes her issues. I know a few others who have non-diamond rings and wear them on the middle finger of their left hands.

Is she allergic to all metal? My sister can't wear anything but nickel-free jewelry, everything else kills her skin. Just an idea.

PeekingDuck on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    The nickel allergy is fairly common, it's why there's surgical steel (0% nickel content) vs. stainless steel (up to 10% nickel).

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    locomotivemanlocomotiveman Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    My mother has the same problem with medal so neither her nor my father wear their wedding rings, in fact they have been married 32 years this coming July and I can't ever remember having even seen them.

locomotiveman on
    aquabat wrote:
    I actually worked at work on Saturday. Also I went out on a date with a real life girl.

Can you like, permanently break the forums?
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    Also, I thought she was making eyes at me.

Bear in mind that some married women do cheat. Also, sometimes they just check out guys with no intention of doing anything other than checking them out.

I think you have to assume that if she's wearing a ring on her left ring finger, it's either an engagement or a wedding ring. The tradition certainly isn't 'falling out of style' so either that's what it is or she's just being contrary or she doesn't know what she's doing, in order of likelihood.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    MurphysParadoxMurphysParadox Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    My wife has no allergies to metal, she just doesn't like the feel of jewelery made of any material (except pipe cleaners, evidently, or so she remembers from elementary school).

As to Szechuanosaurus's point - another possibility was that she had the ring to chase away prospectives that were eying her... but I don't find that to be a good idea because any observant person would notice it and stay away from her advances incase she's looking to cheat on a husband (well, some people would stay away and others would be more attracted - to each their own).

MurphysParadox on
    Murphy's Law: Whatever can go wrong will go wrong.
    Murphy's Paradox: The more you plan, the more that can go wrong. The less you plan, the less likely your plan will succeed.
  • Options
    starlanceriistarlancerii Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Tigress wrote: »
    And, according to custom, I wear the wedding band on my left hand ("closest to the heart") and the engagement ring on the right ("closest to the wallet"). :wink:

I haven't actually heard that before, what is waring the engagement ring on the right supposed to symbolize?

starlancerii on
  • Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Another thing to note: In Germany (and maybe some other European countries, I'm not sure) the wedding ring is worn on the right hand. That got confusing for my sister, who is living in the US (being born in Germany). She switches the ring around on the plane now.

Grobian on