As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nobody listens to techno

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Godfather wrote: »
    Houn wrote: »
    Ok, Pendulum - Hold Your Colours is a FANTASTIC album. How have I gone my entire life without this? Was I ever really living? It's that good.

More like this. This could possibly top Underworld's Beaucoup Fish as my favorite album of all time, provided it stays this awesome over time.

The thing I like about the album is that most of (if not all) the songs got a bit of a kick to it, where the buildup is strong followed by a fantastic delivery. A lot of the time the kick-off is rather unorthodox, but works beautifully ("Fasten Your Seatbelts" is a prime example of this). It's one of the few times i've heard a song and said "holy shit."

This is why Pendulum is my favorite electronic group.

I've listened to it like, 3 times through now (broken up by work stuff), but every track on here is gold. Willy Wonka nearly blew my mind.

Houn on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Okay, so i'm about to purchase the entire album, but I can't decide which format to download? MP3, WAV, or MP4?

Which one has the highest sound quality? This is important.

Godfather on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Godfather wrote: »
    Okay, so i'm about to purchase the entire album, but I can't decide which format to download? MP3, WAV, or MP4?

Which one has the highest sound quality? This is important.

Technically WAV but the difference between a 320 kbps MP3 and a WAV file is imperceptible.

Assuming you're buying from beatport.com, there's no reason not to download the MP3s.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    GrundlterrorGrundlterror Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm so happy this thread is making people download Hold your Colour <3<3

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Would youtube have a good sample track of the album's style?

That's usually the way I listen to new artists lately.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008

I mentioned it first! ;)

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Yup, scroll back through the thread for a couple that are embedded right here.

I remember last techno thread people were all poo-poo ing Pendulum for being too "mainstream" or something :P

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Actually the album is pretty varied, but here are some of the standout tracks:

Slam

Hold Your Colour

Fasten Your Seatbelts

Feral on

• Options
    GrundlterrorGrundlterror Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Feral wrote: »

I mentioned it first! ;)

You have done a great service to your peers :P

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Fun fact: The line "Ladies and gentlemen..........Fasten your seatbelts" from the track with the same name is said by Otto Octavius in Spiderman 2.

Godfather on
  • Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Medopine wrote: »
    I remember last techno thread people were all poo-poo ing Pendulum for being too "mainstream" or something :P

What? o_O
    There's a million reasons a band can suck, but being too mainstream?

I can see the complaint of a band going mainstream, meaning one appreciated the sound being unique on early albums and getting more conventional, but I didn't know a band could start that way.

an_alt on
    Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    ]I completely 100% agree with what you say about dance becoming more accepted by the masses. I don't like all of their stuff but I'll always love Pendulum for getting the dnb sound in the record charts and creating the best-selling crossover album of all time. (Their new stuff is pure crap but that's neither here nor there...)

From http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=42784

Medopine on
  • Options
    djklaydjklay Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Meh.

The balkanization of electronic music into narrower and narrower subgenres strikes me as semantic wankery. You take a house track, drop every third beat, add some near-subsonic bass and a snare drum and that makes it a different subgenre? What's wrong with just using adjectives or (god forbid) comparisons to prior artists instead of increasingly complicated subgenre labels?

I'm okay with one level of subgenres: drum and bass, trance, breakbeat, etc. Other than that the labels hurt more than help. Dissecting it too much... that way, madness lies.

And the overarching genre? I'm cool with calling it techno. Electronica works for me, but I know some people hate that term. "Electronic dance music" is cumbersome and "intelligent dance music" is pretentious.

You don't do much record shopping do you? Cause the sub genres help when trying to find the stuff you like when browsing record samples/records. I agree you don't need to have the 'minmal funky tech house' label, but even just saying funky house says a lot more than house. I don't listen to stuff and go 'well I would call it blah blah' and then get into a disagreement about why it's that genre, I peg it to a sub genre so I can go online and find similar music or ask the guy at the record store what he would suggest that's similar.

Also when reading flyers to find out if you want to see a dj you've never heard before a note of the subgenre they spin helps.

djklay on
  • Options
    cheezcheez Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    And the overarching genre? I'm cool with calling it techno. Electronica works for me, but I know some people hate that term. "Electronic dance music" is cumbersome and "intelligent dance music" is pretentious.

Electronica's always been what I've called it too.

cheez on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    djklay wrote: »
    Meh.

The balkanization of electronic music into narrower and narrower subgenres strikes me as semantic wankery. You take a house track, drop every third beat, add some near-subsonic bass and a snare drum and that makes it a different subgenre? What's wrong with just using adjectives or (god forbid) comparisons to prior artists instead of increasingly complicated subgenre labels?

I'm okay with one level of subgenres: drum and bass, trance, breakbeat, etc. Other than that the labels hurt more than help. Dissecting it too much... that way, madness lies.

You don't do much record shopping do you? Cause the sub genres help when trying to find the stuff you like when browsing record samples/records.

Not since about 2002, no. I have the Internet now. If I'm looking for something with a specific style, I can go into last.fm, Pandora, or Amazon and get recommendations that way. Granted, I don't spin, so obviously I'm saying this as a consumer and not a DJ.

Feral on

• Options
    Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm sort of surprised that this time of year, we have a thread that's talking about techno, but people haven't mentioned a pretty big annual even that's up and coming in a few weeks

Detroit Electronic Music Festival

I've been wanting to go to this for years, but I live far away and each year, I either don't have the time, money, or interested friends to make it. I've heard that it isn't as good lately as the older ones, but you hear that about every festival.

Here's this year's line up

Unfortunately, their web site is a myspace page.

Is there anyone who can let me know about the lowdown on this event? I swear I'm going to make it one year. One problem is that people around here aren't very interested in techo, so they're more likely to go to winter music conference in Miami as their big "I like electronic music" trip. Miami is also a bit closer to ATL than Detroit, but I always look at the DEMF line up and wish I could see some of those people either for the first time or again knowing they'd never come here.

Niceguy Myeye on
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Whoever recommended that DJ Krush & Toshinori Kondo... I love you. This album is all kinds of chill.

That's a hella good album. Tosh does a lot of rad stuff - check out his album "Charged" for similar but more upbeat awesomeness.

Lately I've been listening to a lot of Conelrad to chill out. The bloke does very Boards of Canada-esque music, but it's mellower. His only f/l is uploaded on his website for free, so check it out. I recommend the title track or DMB as samplers.
    http://munchhouse.com/conelrad/functioncreep.html
    Another of my favourite mellow albums is Wisp's "NRTHNDR". The dnb style of the beats makes it more involving than most chill-out stuff, but it doesn't disrupt the melancholic atmosphere.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=XaPXs1UhuQo&fmt=18

I think the most recent thing I've been digging is Submerged's "Stars Light the End." Pretty intense breakbeat mixed with nu-jazz trumpet craziness.
    http://www.last.fm/music/Submerged/_/Frank+Booth

Some more indieish stuff
    People Press Play
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=8FvXZ5bk8MQ&fmt=18

Crystal Castles
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=_uJ_gdEdMp8&fmt=18

edit: Niceguy's post reminded me, Deepchord presents Echospace - "The Coldest Season" is another great chiller. Following the heroin house movement, these guys offer up a fuzzed-out, sleepy bliss.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf0mdwO6z1E&fmt=18

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    Typhus733Typhus733 Yip! Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I recently really got into drum and bass/jungle. The only bands I know at all though are Pendulum and Prodigy. Blood Sugar got me hooked and I could always use suggestions to flesh out my collection of music.

Typhus733 on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Typhus733 wrote: »
    I recently really got into drum and bass/jungle. The only bands I know at all though are Pendulum and Prodigy. Blood Sugar got me hooked and I could always use suggestions to flesh out my collection of music.

Roni Size - New Forms was what originally blew the genre open, but IMO In Tha Mode was a more polished album.

Ed Rush & Optical - Wormhole is another essential album.

Anything Dieselboy, I rather liked Dungeonmaster's Guide.

Black Sun Empire - Cruel and Unusual is sooo gooooood. Came out in 2005, same year as Hold Your Colour. So damn good.

Anything DJ Hype, especially anything live you can find by him.

LTJ Bukem - Demon's Theme is a classic and shows that drum & bass doesn't have to feel like an audio assault all the time. If you like that, pick up Journey Inwards.

Feral on

• Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I dont really understand the video but, Random is a fav of mine. Crystal Castles reminded me of him (only CC is on crack speed fast fast)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=aojILsSMiUg

And here he is live.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=eUXEGibxPLo&feature=related

Yes, he is one of those 8bit guys.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    GlorfindelGlorfindel Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Copied from my thread in SE++, but I've yet to see any Presets love in here:

The Presets just dropped their fantastic new album, Apocalypso:

l_4565c09ef8bcd6d49f2f8abea3036cd2.jpg

their follow up to their also-fantastic debut album, Beams:

51SVAAGYFTL._SS500_.jpg

The Presets are an Australian electronica duo, consisting of two fashion students(?). One half of the duo has branched off into solo work as well, producing under the name of K.I.M.

If you like Tiga, Crystal Castles or Midnight Juggernauts, you should check these guys out.

Glorfindel on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Ooh, that Random sounds excellent. Any albums in particular to check out?

I hadn't heard that there was a new Presets, gonna check it.

METAzraeL on

• Options
    edited May 2008
    METAzraeL wrote: »
    Ooh, that Random sounds excellent. Any albums in particular to check out?

I hadn't heard that there was a new Presets, gonna check it.

The bad joke ep.

You can get all his stuff here http://8bitpeoples.com/ as well as about 30 other awesome albums from all sorts of people. Get Anamanguchi above all else. The most positive music ever made. I just get happy listening to it.

http://youtube.com/results?search_query=blipfest&search_type=
    good times already here as well

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    mmm, Anamanguchi is killer

METAzraeL on

• Options
    edited May 2008
    METAzraeL wrote: »
    mmm, Anamanguchi is killer

Word. I checked out the Presents as well, cool stuff. I must investigate further.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    The Presets are fun and obnoxious, but their first album never drew me in too much. I'm interested to see how they've advanced on the new one.

If any of you have the chance, see Ming & Ping live. They're a damn fun act (dance with the cymbal monkey!) if they play in a decent sized place, and their synthpop is quite good.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=teWIlR0n7og&fmt=18

edit: oh man, Random - Grey Love is orgasmic

METAzraeL on

• Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Can we talk about how hilariously awesome Scooter is?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8m6IbItrgk&fmt=18
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DA3E2X3kQNQ&fmt=18

Also for people posting youtube links, if you add "&fmt=18" to the end of the URL you get a higher quality stream (for many videos.)

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    You know what band is pretty awesome? Dangerous Muse.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Podly wrote: »
    You know what band is pretty awesome? Dangerous Muse.

Sellout.

I just resynced Royksopp - The Understanding to my iPod last night.

Man, 2005 was a crazy good year for electronica.

Feral on

• Options
    GiantRoboGiantRobo Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I like Hybrid's Wide Ange album a lot.

Definitely a thumbs up in my book.

GiantRobo on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Royksopp is so good, whee

Medopine on
  • Options
    SpeakeasySpeakeasy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'll just put this in spoilers since it's filled with youtube vids.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NeG5VNeM28
    The Flashbulb - Kirlian Shores

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k_PUddi8NU
    Unkle - Invasion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51T5A0j2ZV0
    Vitalic - Bells (poor quality)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AhpoqTkuwY
    Apparat - You Don't Know Me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWuijivR6n4
    teranoid & MC Natsack - gigadelic (original extended)

Speakeasy on
    smokeco3.jpg
  • Options
    JoschuaESQJoschuaESQ Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    i've been listening to melody am for a damn long time now, one of my favorites.
    I have to thank you all for introducing me to the gameboy music, and vicariously, my younger brother. He usually shows me cool shit, I got to show him some neat stuff with that band.

All in all, fanatsic!

JoschuaESQ on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited May 2008
    Just found this via Warren Ellis. OMODAKA.

OMODAKA - "Kyoteizinc"

Experimental and just plain strange.

Echo on
  • Options
    OhioOhio Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Is there some reason this thread has gone 8 pages without mentioning Fischerspooner? (or did I just miss it?)

Check out the album Odyssey.

Ohio on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Okay, does anyone know the song that's in the end of Harold and Kumar 2, when the chick is doing the modeling shoot? I know it's not that great of a song, but it's going to drive me insane until I know what it is, because I swear I used to know the name.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Interesting, the 8bitpeoples' label has an article up on their site about how Crystal Castles stole samples from the 8bp artists, amongst others.

"It's recently come to light that Crystal Castles, a Toronto-based band, has been heavily sampling music from several chip music artists without obtaining permission or crediting them. Lo-bat's tracks Bibibi and Tizzy, from his 8bitpeoples release Game Boy, are just two instances of this.

As you may have noticed, we release all our music under a Creative Commons BY-NC-ND License here at 8bitpeoples. What this means is that you're free to share it however you like, with whomever you like. All we ask in return is that you credit it appropriately, do not use it for any commercial purposes, and obtain permission before creating any derivative works (such as remixing it or using it as the soundtrack for a video). Crystal Castles has violated every term of this license in their use of Lo-Bat's music. Furthermore, they have committed copyright infringement by sampling other artists such as Covox, whose drums from his song Sunday appear in no less than four Crystal Castles songs."
    http://www.8bitpeoples.com/

METAzraeL on

• Options
    edited May 2008
    Shits.

I knew that a lot of it sounded much the same as a lot of the 8bitpeoples music, I just figured it was because a lot of chip music has a lot of the same sounds.

Looking deeper into it, people are making it out to be this huge winding conspiracy.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    SquirrelmobSquirrelmob Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'll probably get hated out for this, or someone has already said it, but I like Benny Benassi.

Especially the California Dreamin' Remix.

Squirrelmob on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Benny Benassi is a guilty pleasure for me (well, some of it. He's either really on or horribly off). Who's your daddy :D

I was reading more about the CC thing, looks like most of the songs on their debut don't have stolen samples, and they're trying to clear the other songs so they can release them. So I guess it's not as bad as it sounds, but still. They seem to have a penchant for taking other people's work (the beaten Madonna cover), hope that changes in the future.

Ok, I need to see Anamanaguchi live, pronto.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuIEZMFx8LA&fmt=18

METAzraeL on