Options

Why isn't button layout configuration a standard in all games now?

124»

• Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Tim James wrote: »
    As a long-time PC gamer, I'm really surprised this isn't standard now. Don't consoles even have graphics configuration options these days, or is that not the case either?

If by graphics you mean contrast and aspect ratio.

Any given console has a standardized video card, so setting the graphics isn't exactly the important thing it is on a PC.

Evander on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Didn't a single 360 game have options regarding AA or something, and people thought it might be a big deal in a slippery slope kind of way.

LewieP on
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I want to know why I have to go into menus and set Y-axis to inverted on everything. I wish this was a universal setting. Also wasn't inverted Y-axis a default back in the wing commander, descent, freespace days... when did y-axis invert default to off? Its not a fucking mouse you are moving people, its a goddamn mini joystick.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    LewieP wrote: »
    Didn't a single 360 game have options regarding AA or something, and people thought it might be a big deal in a slippery slope kind of way.

AA is offered for 'free' via the graphics chip, and doesn't affect the framerate in any way. Games that let you turn it off/on offer it more as a preference, like Brawl.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    greeble wrote: »
    I want to know why I have to go into menus and set Y-axis to inverted on everything. I wish this was a universal setting. Also wasn't inverted Y-axis a default back in the wing commander, descent, freespace days... when did y-axis invert default to off? Its not a fucking mouse you are moving people, its a goddamn mini joystick.

I don't know why, but sometime between GE/Perfect Dark and Timesplitters 2 I switched from Inverted to non-invert. When I go back and play those two, I set them to non-invert now.

I have no idea why I switched, but I did notice that games default to non-invert now.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    FyreWulff wrote: »

AA is offered for 'free' via the graphics chip, and doesn't affect the framerate in any way. Games that let you turn it off/on offer it more as a preference, like Brawl.

Wait, how does AA become a preference on/off on a console? If it doesn't affect the framerate, shouldn't it just be on?

Henroid on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

That makes sense. Maybe it was a different graphical setting I'm thinking of then.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Henroid wrote: »

Wait, how does AA become a preference on/off on a console? If it doesn't affect the framerate, shouldn't it just be on?

Usually it is. You have the option as a developer to turn it off. Some games, like Brawl and Melee, let you decide, because for some reason they do.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    That makes no sense in my mind. "Hey, do you want this game to look shiny and smooth or no?" Who answers no?

Henroid on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    That makes no sense in my mind. "Hey, do you want this game to look shiny and smooth or no?" Who answers no?

Sometimes a jagged edge is worth not having your eyes bleed. I'm running Brawl on composite on a cheap 720 television, and I've got it off at this point.

jothki on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    jothki wrote: »

Sometimes a jagged edge is worth not having your eyes bleed. I'm running Brawl on composite on a cheap 720 television, and I've got it off at this point.

If you're running on composite, the "720" is irrelevant.

Evander on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Evander wrote: »

I strongly suspect that its upscaler sucks. I'll take any opportunity I have to make the thing less of a blurfest.

jothki on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Evander wrote: »

I strongly suspect that its upscaler sucks. I'll take any opportunity I have to make the thing less of a blurfest.

Why not just buy better cables?

Evander on
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    greeble wrote: »

I don't know why, but sometime between GE/Perfect Dark and Timesplitters 2 I switched from Inverted to non-invert. When I go back and play those two, I set them to non-invert now.

I have no idea why I switched, but I did notice that games default to non-invert now.

I had this happen to me too for some weird reason. And I pretty much remember how it happened. I've always been an invert y-axis guy, for both mouse and controller. One day I started playing the tutorial for SC: Pandora Tomorrow's multiplayer and I kept getting confused when trying to look up/down. From this day I started playing console shooters with normal Y-axis, while I remain inverted with the mouse. I still invert my Y axis on console to fly planes and things like that.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    To me sticks should always be inverted. (Be it flight sticks, joysticks, analog sticks) While mouse should be non-inverted... point and click etc. Inverte Y-axis for life, yo!

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    wabbitehwabbiteh Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Simple AA (no transparency, not FSAA) does affect the frame rate, though usually somewhat minimally.

wabbiteh on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

For Brawl, at least, I like the somewhat sharper look.

Of course, I also have my Wii plugged into an SDTV.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts