As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wireless Worries

PhilthePillPhilthePill Registered User regular
Just built a new desktop, and I've got a stock standard Dlink wireless card, and I'm about 20m from my wireless access point. I've used wireless around this house before without too much trouble.

So I've got a 54Mbps connection right? Well my wireless utility (Xp's intergrated one) continuously varies between a "Good" and a "Very Good" Connection. But my connection speed varies between the 54 and 9Mbps. Which seems a little odd.

Anything I can do to keep this a little more normalized/optimized besides the old "move you router closer" routine?

Edit: Also WPA secure, but this shouldn't matter too much surely.

I'm gonna sing the DOOM SONG now. DOOMY doom domm doom doom doom doom doom doom doomy doom-doom...
PhilthePill on

• Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    does the behaviour change as you get closer?

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Haven't tried moving the box, it's a bit of a pain to move, was just wondering if there was anything optimizable on the software side of things really. Should static/dynamic IPs affect this at all?

If there isn't, I'll just re-wire it I think. Might just put a direct LAN line down.

Just got a nice box to play some TF2 and stuff, and my stupid network is letting me down:(

PhilthePill on
    I'm gonna sing the DOOM SONG now. DOOMY doom domm doom doom doom doom doom doom doomy doom-doom...
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Fixed!

Can't believe it was just a case of: "Get the newest drivers."

It seems for my particular model of D-link there were 5 revisions to the drivers, and as soon as I updated to the newest the problem went away.

PhilthePill on