As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

GTA IV = Holocaust?

zhozho Registered User new member
edited May 2008 in Games and Technology
Pulled from the local newspaper website. I just don't even know what to say about this article...

When writing this "article" the "writer/reporter" found it was necessary to include the following.

History amply illustrates humanity's dark side. In ancient Rome, crowds of thousands of people -- not too different from us -- cheered with frenzied blood lust as animals and human beings were torn to pieces. In the 15th century, public executions took on a festival atmosphere as victims were disembowled or burned at the stake.

Not just a few bad apples

Our own age has witnessed the horrors of genocide in Nazi Germany and Rwanda. These atrocities were not perpetrated by a handful of human monsters, but by thousands of ordinary people.

I'm not entirely sure what that has to do with anything, but she thought it was important. O_o

zho on

• Options
    Black IceBlack Ice Charlotte, NCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    What does this have to do with GTA IV? And why didn't you at least link the article?

Black Ice on
  • Options
    YardGnomeYardGnome Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    ...wut

YardGnome on
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Link the article. Otherwise you're just trolling.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The writer started on the right track listing ancient forms of violent entertainment which would have worked with his argument that GTA is a modern equivalent (the writer should have added violent movies too) but the writer made the grave error of throwing in war atrocities in the same bag. Faulty argument in her article only put there to raise controversy. The writer's article is a troll.

Entertainment and public distractions: gladiator battle -> public executions -> violent books -> violent movies -> violent video games

War stuff not done for entertainment: crusades -> genocides

Handkor on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    there's also the small detail that gladiatorial stuff was done with real people, not bits of data and pixels

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    LunysgwenLunysgwen Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Wren wrote: »
    there's also the small detail that gladiatorial stuff was done with real people, not bits of data and pixels

I hardly call that a small detail, (Death is ever hardly small.) but it's in the same vein as GTA IV - It's mass entertainment with gore. The Crusades/Genocide clearly has no entertainment value - The writer was fishing for attention.

Lunysgwen on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    This is why she writes for a local newspaper, and not for anything remotely important or relevant to the world.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    No context at all in what you quoted, but I'm guessing the writer is guilty of not actually having played the game.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    StregoneStregone VA, USARegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Here's the article in question. (its multiple pages)

http://www.startribune.com/local/18538584.html

Its the usual anti-violent game bullshit.

Stregone on
  • Options
    The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Lunysgwen wrote: »
    Wren wrote: »

I hardly call that a small detail, (Death is ever hardly small.)

View > Page Display > √ Show Sarcasm Tags

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • Options
    Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    This will not end well

Mr Bubbles on
  • Options
    YardGnomeYardGnome Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Hmm, I feel like I've read this article before.

Oh yeah, I have, it's the same article that people have been putting out for years now.

Nothing to see here, move along.

YardGnome on
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Ahh... the smell of a attention whore writer about to get ripped a new one for comparing the holocaust to video game violence.

it kinda smells like a chocolate sundae.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Mr Bubbles wrote: »
    This will not end well

didn't even start well. lock this shit.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Here is the article linked, I think

It gets better:

The hazards of violent games will only increase as new, more advanced technologies like the Wii system take hold. With Wii, for instance, you can go beyond punching buttons or manipulating a joystick -- you can act out a game physically. As more games gain the technology that lets players go through the motions of stabbing opponents, pummeling prostitutes and simulating sex, they are likely to exert an even stronger psychological hold on thrill-seekers.

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Kalkino wrote: »
    Here is the article linked, I think

It gets better:

The hazards of violent games will only increase as new, more advanced technologies like the Wii system take hold. With Wii, for instance, you can go beyond punching buttons or manipulating a joystick -- you can act out a game physically. As more games gain the technology that lets players go through the motions of stabbing opponents, pummeling prostitutes and simulating sex, they are likely to exert an even stronger psychological hold on thrill-seekers.

I tried to pummel a prostitute, but my arms were too weak from excessive video game playing instead of working out.

Saddler on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    simulating sex

This is what every nerd dreams of. I can't wait!

urahonky on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    They seem under the impression that your average gamer is capable of leaping up tall buildings and throttling a hooker with one hand while impregnating his mother on top of a moving helicopter fan blade and downing a jug of rat cum and bleach to the theme song of Three's Company.

I can see where their confusion stems from.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Oh great another baby boomer trying to demonize sex. Thanks. That really does society a lot of good!

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Fewer children make for cleaner roads?

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Random IntegerRandom Integer Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Donkey Kong made me a killer. An enraged, barrel flinging killer.

Random Integer on
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Don't even get me started on Pac Man. Damn pill popping drug addict.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Not to worry, for every article that hates video games in some unimportant local newspaper there's an equally pointless article in an equally pointless college newspaper like this one and the world keeps spinning.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    GrimReaper wrote: »

"Video games don't affect kids. If Pac-Man affected us as kids we'd all be walking around in dark rooms eating magic pills while listening to repetitive electronic music."

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    SueveSueve Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I've always feared that people are getting way to desensitized to violence through CSI and GTA and the rest. I think that is no reason to restrict these things from mature people, but I still thinks its important how this works.

For example, now when I hear of 5-50 people dying in the middle east, I feel very little sadness, and that feeling is easily shrugged off. Thats not because I "hate dem terrozists" or something, its just because you hear about it every day. You can watch the Horror movies having to deal with this as they become more and more gruesome and disgusting (example) in order to shock, and thus please, the audience.

Now, are video games on the same track? Is this evolution of violence in video games (such as the blood spatter on windshields of taxis in GTA4) just a move towards realism, or is it an evolution of shock value? Once picture perfect realism has been created in videogames, where will we go? Will we move towards more artistic ventures, or will we stick to the lowest common denominator and end up playing games where we simulate the terrors of terrible events, such as, say, the holocaust?

Now, a personal experience with this:

I come from a Jewish family, and all of my extended family was killed in the holocaust. When I first got Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, my parents where shocked that I could so much as play as the Nazis in the multi player portion. They were appalled, to say the least, but within a few weeks, they were used to hearing the gunshots, and desensitized to the notion that I was simulating shooting Americans!

Sueve on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

"Video games don't affect kids. If Pac-Man affected us as kids we'd all be walking around in dark rooms eating magic pills while listening to repetitive electronic music."

Raves?

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Playing as a soldier in a video game doesn't make anyone any different than who they originally were in the first place (unless they're 9 or have mental issues) and the same is true for other things like gambling, sex, etc.

Pretty much most of the content of modern day video games is going to be of questionable content just considering how society as a whole has changed, and that the average age for a person who plays games has changed. Does this somehow mean that video games will only move towards one certain direction? Not really.

We still have a lot of games that make bold, exciting efforts in terms of visual design or merely presentation - and in sometimes entirely nonviolent manners. Violence is not the only direction for games, and in fact it seems like a direction that will only pan out as quick as it ever has, while other types of games are coming into the woodwork (things like WiiFit, Guitar Hero, Rock Band, etc.)

I mean, it is sometimes hard for people to go from a 4-direction shooter called Smash T.V. where tiny, boxy bullets plow through random piles of people ... but can you imagine if that game were made again today? It would be more bloody and ridiculous than a lot of games out there. The idea hasn't changed, merely the visual capacity to express it, and nobody went crazy after playing Smash T.V. (except that it was so freaking hard) and I doubt that anybody will get anything except entertainment and maybe a couple of bad jokes from Grand Theft Auto IV.

If I could play a video game, using the Euphoria engine, where I got myself hit by trucks or blown out of cannons into fields of criss-crossing pipes and other such entertaining physics engine simulations, I would do it all day and watch my bones crumble - it doesn't make me crazy, it makes me unecessarily entertained by the little details of games, no matter what they be.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008

Ohh my god, kids do this all of the fucking time.

D:

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Ohh my god, kids do this all of the fucking time.

Yeah, but what kind of X<20 year old has played any pacman, anyway? Retro gamers? Are they really the only people in the clizzubs listening to bad remixes of Pink and Timberland?

Haha.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    Uncle_BalsamicUncle_Balsamic Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Marcus Brigstocke?

Uncle_Balsamic on
    2LmjIWB.png
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    That phrase is written on a shirt you dopes. :P

urahonky on
  • Options
    Uncle_BalsamicUncle_Balsamic Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    urahonky wrote: »

The pac man one?
    One of the best-known jokes Brigstocke uses is an ironic commentary on the controversy regarding the influence of video games on children:
    “ If Pac-Man had affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in dark rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. „

I was surprised it was in his wikipedia article.

Uncle_Balsamic on
    2LmjIWB.png
  • Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

The pac man one?
    One of the best-known jokes Brigstocke uses is an ironic commentary on the controversy regarding the influence of video games on children:
    “ If Pac-Man had affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in dark rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. „

Surprised? Wikipedia has everything. The only thing I was surprised it had was an article on "ass to mouth".

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I love how the article suggests that once we put down the controller we still fantasize about killing bypassers and strippers.

Djiem on
  • Options
    The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Djiem wrote: »
    I love how the article suggests that once we put down the controller we still fantasize about killing bypassers and strippers.

I DID EVEN BEFORE I PICKED UP THE CONTROLLER

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Djiem wrote: »

I DID EVEN BEFORE I PICKED UP THE CONTROLLER

Your avatar makes this line awesome...

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

The pac man one?

Surprised? Wikipedia has everything. The only thing I was surprised it had was an article on "ass to mouth".

Oh god I just went and looked for that article, laughed my ass of and then realised I'm at work. You bastard.

Legba on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I've been simulating sex for 17 years now. This writer is an idiot.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    They all have it backwards. I enjoy playing games about murdering hookers, driving drunk, and shooting cops because I enjoy doing it in real life. Not I do these things because I play games about it. Jeez.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Cantido wrote: »

Raves?

That...that's the joke.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
This discussion has been closed.