As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Blu-Ray X360 actually real probably.

• DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    JPS wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »

Hmm, is there much difference between different Blue-Ray players? Is one significantly better then another?

Yes, vastly. If you are to buy a Bluray player right now, you only have one choice if you are not a retard: the PS3.

The earliest bluray players can only play Bluray 1.0 movies; ie. movies that are just high definition video and sound. Later bluray players with certain hardware features could play bluray 1.1 discs, which have picture-in-picture features (e.g. you can watch video commentary at the same time as the feature film; two hi-def video/audio streams going at once). Bluray 1.1 compatible players require a second video decoder and at least 256MB of local storage. Last I checked, only the PS3 can handle bluray 2.0, which includes online capabilities. Bluray 2.0 requires 2.0 compatible players (also known as Bluray Live) to have 1gb of local storage and an ethernet adapter.

To put it simply, the PS3 is the only future proof bluray player.

This is the biggest problem I see with getting average people to buy into blu-ray and it's a self-made problem! How much confidence do people have in a $500 product that's rendered obsolete every 6 months? Seriously, the way you're supposed to develop this sort of thing is:

1. Design the specifications.

2. Build the product.

3. Sell the product.

4. Do nothing.

5. Profit.

They're making it more complicated than it needs to be.

Marketing wanted to get the product out the door before R&D was done with it, and this is what happens. And it's not like this is exclusive to Blu-Ray, here. Look at 802.11n, for instance.
    GrimReaper wrote: »

I don't doubt the triple core cpu could handle their decoding, what I think is the problem is the licensing. MS probably paid the licensing fees for hd-dvd. But they haven't paid the licensing fees to decode for the same codecs on bluray. You can bet your arse there will be some contractual thing covering this, where if MS wants to decode the same video codecs on bluray they have to pay all the fees again.

Plus there is the point that they'll need to create a JAVA runtime interpreter. So, for practicalities sake they'll problably license one from Sun.

It all adds to the cost.

Well, Microsoft created one of those codecs (VC-1), so I doubt they'll have problems there. That leaves MPEG2, which they're already licensing for DVD playback, and H.264, which they've already licensed for HD-DVD but as you said, they might need to re-license for Blu-Ray, probably at a per-player cost. I doubt one codec is really going to kill them.

And there's Java, but Microsoft has written a Java interpreter before, you know.

Daedalus on
  • lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Don't you know that having a huge number of confusing SKUs is the new trend?

I think the real business plan looks like:

1) Confuse customers
    2) Price players to high
    3) Price media to high
    4) ???
    5) Profit!

By the way Sony's game division has lost ALL of the profits they gained in the PS2 era by launching the PS3. Now they are eating into profits they made on the PS1.

They better hope that Blu-Ray makes some insane profits for them. Insane.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »
    JPS wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »

Hmm, is there much difference between different Blue-Ray players? Is one significantly better then another?

Yes, vastly. If you are to buy a Bluray player right now, you only have one choice if you are not a retard: the PS3.

The earliest bluray players can only play Bluray 1.0 movies; ie. movies that are just high definition video and sound. Later bluray players with certain hardware features could play bluray 1.1 discs, which have picture-in-picture features (e.g. you can watch video commentary at the same time as the feature film; two hi-def video/audio streams going at once). Bluray 1.1 compatible players require a second video decoder and at least 256MB of local storage. Last I checked, only the PS3 can handle bluray 2.0, which includes online capabilities. Bluray 2.0 requires 2.0 compatible players (also known as Bluray Live) to have 1gb of local storage and an ethernet adapter.

To put it simply, the PS3 is the only future proof bluray player.

This is the biggest problem I see with getting average people to buy into blu-ray and it's a self-made problem! How much confidence do people have in a $500 product that's rendered obsolete every 6 months? Seriously, the way you're supposed to develop this sort of thing is:

1. Design the specifications.

2. Build the product.

3. Sell the product.

4. Do nothing.

5. Profit.

They're making it more complicated than it needs to be.

Marketing wanted to get the product out the door before R&D was done with it, and this is what happens. And it's not like this is exclusive to Blu-Ray, here. Look at 802.11n, for instance.

Urgh, don't get me started on 802.11n. So many compatibility issues not only between different manufacturers but actually with manufacturers own products. (for example WMP300N and WAP4400N are totally unreliable pieces of junk, I now hate Linksys because of these two)

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • RoxtarRoxtar Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

1) Confuse customers
    2) Price players to high
    3) Price media to high
    4) ???
    5) Profit!

By the way Sony's game division has lost ALL of the profits they gained in the PS2 era by launching the PS3. Now they are eating into profits they made on the PS1.

Where did you get that they are eating in to PS1 profits? You really just dont get how much money corporations like Sony and MS have do you? Your just fisting your colon to come up with this crap arent you.
    *splurg* *blork* *squeeeeeeeee* "Heys guyses look whut I found out!"

Roxtar on
  • ThrustinJThrustinJ Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I want a blu-ray player. I'm pretty average. Therefore, MS should start making one.

ThrustinJ on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Roxtar wrote: »

1) Confuse customers
    2) Price players to high
    3) Price media to high
    4) ???
    5) Profit!

Where did you get that they are eating in to PS1 profits? You really just dont get how much money corporations like Sony and MS have do you? Your just fisting your colon to come up with this crap arent you.

Which is exactly why he said: "GAME DIVISION". Sony as a whole makes a lot of profit, but their game division is losing teh monies.

urahonky on
  • PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'd really hate to be a non-early adopter and still get screwed in reference to having outdated hardware.
    This is why I bought a console, console makers. Please try and keep this in mind.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
    edited May 2008
    PatboyX wrote: »
    I'd really hate to be a non-early adopter and still get screwed in reference to having outdated hardware.
    This is why I bought a console, console makers. Please try and keep this in mind.

I doubt the Wii will come out with another SKU in the future.

urahonky on
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    titmouse wrote: »
    Why would having a built in player hurt compatibility? It isn't like Blu-ray players can't read DVDs.

oooh. I could of sworn at one time Blu-ray had issues with dvds but that might of been a whole nother deal. My bad.

Yeah, that's just ridiculous. Whoever told you that was messing with you.

I'm thinking its more of either a blatant lie that the diode on the Blu-ray player would have issues with DVD's or I mistook information when the whole war heated up. There was a lot of mis-information during this blu-ray/hd-dvd war.

Personally, I would prefer it to be an add-on. Just to reduce the amount of wear and tear on the primary drive. I could easily see someone sell a Blu-ray add-on for the 360 and make a killing off of it. I think sony would be the biggest hurdle since it is one of the driving forces on blu-ray player market.

It's not that simple, bluray is more than just a optical disc. It's also a complex standard. You've got to have a java runtime, ability to decode VC1, h264, mpeg2, ac3 and lots of other stuff. It's not easy to implement all of that. You'd have to license a lot of it, plus you can't rely on a hardware decoder chip because the 360 doesn't have any for those. So you'd have to pay lots of money for the licensing for them (or make them yourself).

There isn't going to be such a thing as a cheap blu-ray addon for the 360.

So realistically the only party who could make a bluray addon for the 360 is Microsoft, a third party could do it but it'd cost. I could see somebody like cyberlink make a piece of 360 software that you can buy from the marketplace or that comes on a dvd with the bluray drive but I don't think it'd be cheap.

I don't doubt this for a second. I think the question here will be if they will try. As for the decoding, I didn't think of that and I do see how that could be an issue. Just a thought (kinda throwing this out there) it is possible that this could be for the next generation of consoles because they had to start planning that after the 360 shipped.

I assure you all that the 360's CPU is more than beefy enough to handle all the video decoding. Yes, it doesn't have dedicated ASICs to do all the heavy lifting like standalone players do, but it's got a big fucking triple-core general purpose CPU in there that can handle quite a bit of math. Besides, the same codecs were used on HD-DVDs, remember?

I don't doubt the triple core cpu could handle their decoding, what I think is the problem is the licensing. MS probably paid the licensing fees for hd-dvd. But they haven't paid the licensing fees to decode for the same codecs on bluray. You can bet your arse there will be some contractual thing covering this, where if MS wants to decode the same video codecs on bluray they have to pay all the fees again.

Plus there is the point that they'll need to create a JAVA runtime interpreter. So, for practicalities sake they'll problably license one from Sun.

It all adds to the cost.

With Microsoft owning Windows, you're not goingto outright GOUGE them, otherwise you run the risk of retribution. You DO want Windows to remain compatable with future Bluray updates even after digi distro becomes viable, no?

MSoft are not small time. They'll get a decent deal, and whatever it is, they can afford it.

Evander on
    edited May 2008

1) Confuse customers
    2) Price players to high
    3) Price media to high
    4) ???
    5) Profit!

He's talking about the long-term net from the game division.

You don't understand how corporations operate, do you? There isn't just one giant piggy bank in the center of the HQ. Finances are broken down to see how different pieces are functioning.

Evander on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    ohsnap.jpg

Local H Jay on
    edited May 2008
    ohsnap.jpg

ohnohedi-ent.gif

urahonky on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Nice! Now I don't have to get a PS3.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    edited May 2008
    urahonky wrote: »

Oh, I'll bet it will.
    It'll be a different paint job. :-P

Daedalus on
    edited May 2008
    urahonky wrote: »

Oh, I'll bet it will.
    It'll be a different paint job. :-P

They'd be crazy to do that! Maybe in 2-3 years when the demand finally dies down. :P

urahonky on
    edited May 2008
    Honestly, this sounds shallow, but part of me is waiting for more colors for the Wii before buying.
    I really liked the green one they showed in promos before launch. But I'd probably get a black one to match my Elite and my eventual purchase of a PS3 (for MGS4 basically).
    To tell you the truth, aside from the 120GB HDD, I basically paid 100 more for the black 360. And I was comfortable with that.
    Am I a consumer whore?

Local H Jay on
    edited May 2008
    Yes. Next question.

urahonky on
    edited May 2008
    Cantido wrote: »
    Nice! Now I don't have to get a PS3.

THIS is MSoft's goal, should they do bluray.

It WILL be an add-on, with the intention to keep current 360 owners from feeling the need to pick up a PS3. It won't be so much about enticing new users (although they'll run that angle through marketing a little, since it's there) but it will be primarily about maintaining the status that the 360 is "good enough", and that you don't need to replace or suppliment it with a PS3.

Evander on
  • RoxtarRoxtar Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Evander wrote: »

1) Confuse customers
    2) Price players to high
    3) Price media to high
    4) ???
    5) Profit!

You don't understand how corporations operate, do you? There isn't just one giant piggy bank in the center of the HQ. Finances are broken down to see how different pieces are functioning.

I understand that thank you for stating the blatantly obvious... Yet show me anywhere where sony's game division is losing so much that its cutting into PS1 profits (which in a sense is also absolutely impossible because profits from the past dont scale in a linear timeless fashion).

Roxtar on
    edited May 2008
    edited May 2008

1) Confuse customers
    2) Price players to high
    3) Price media to high
    4) ???
    5) Profit!

I understand that thank you for stating the blatantly obvious... Yet show me anywhere where sony's game division is losing so much that its cutting into PS1 profits (which in a sense is also absolutely impossible because profits from the past dont scale in a linear timeless fashion).

Ummm...

If you are collapsing a couple of decades in to a long-term net gain/loss, then it makes perfect sense that it COULD be eating in to PS1 profits, from that sort of "life time" vantage point.

I never said that his information was correct, I just called you out for being wrong yourself when you tried to call him out. What he claims, while the facts remain to be seen, is a structurally sound statement.

Don't be jerk while calling some one out unless you are 100% right. That's the take-away here.

Any further questions, refer to my sig.

Evander on
    edited May 2008

1) Confuse customers
    2) Price players to high
    3) Price media to high
    4) ???
    5) Profit!

Uh, you can look up Sony's game division's financials here. For instance here you can see that their profits in 2003 (year ending March 31 2004) the game division made a profit of 650 million US$.

In table form:
    year     profits       cumulative        backwards 
    ending in M US$    profit                   sum
    1998    974           974                     1893
    1999   1,130        2104                      919
    2000    730         2834                     -211
    2001    -409       2425                     -941
    2002    623         3048                    -523
    2003    939         3987                   -1155
    2004    650         4637                   -2094
    2005    404         5041                   -2744
    2006    75           5116                   -3148
    2007   -1,969      3147                   -3223
    2008   -1,254      1893                   -1254

You can see from the second column that the game division has less total profit now than it did at the end of 1999. In the third column puts it more explicitly and you can see that running things backwards, the game division doesn't pay off the losses from 07+08 until 1999.

Now the PS1 continued to sell well after the PS2 launched in 2000, so the PS3 was eating into PS1 profits even before then.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2008
    figures

Are those ammounts indexed by anything, or is each ammount nominal to its given year?

Evander on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Let's try this.
    FY*       Sony**        Nintendo        Microsoft
    1998    974,000,000      629,000,000
    1999   1,130,000,000      645,000,000
    2000    730,000,000      421,000,000
    2001    -409,000,000      726,000,000
    2002    623,000,000      800,000,000     -750,000,000
    2003    939,000,000      560,000,000     -1,191,000,000
    2004    650,000,000      316,000,000     -1,215,000,000
    2005    404,000,000      777,000,000     -485,000,000
    2006    75,000,000       894,000,000     -1,262,000,000
    2007   -1,969,000,000   1,489,000,000    -1,892,000,000
    2008   -1,254,000,000    2,480,000,000    532,000,000      

Totals  1,893,000,000    9,737,000,000   -6,263,000,000

Link

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    edited May 2008
    What happened to Sony in 2001?

Evander on
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    What happened to Sony in 2001?

PS2 launch AFAIK.

Loss leader strategy and all.

shryke on
    edited May 2008
    figures

Are those ammounts indexed by anything, or is each ammount nominal to its given year?

Nominal. Really everything should be done in Yen, I guess, and then indexed based on Japanese inflation. But inflation isn't exactly a huge problem in Japan. Maybe in that case the PS3 has only started to eat into yr 2000 profits.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Microsoft has "no plans" for Xbox 360 Blu-ray drive
    "As we have stated, we have no plans to introduce a Blu-ray drive for Xbox 360," said a Microsoft official in an email to GamePro on Monday. "Games are what drive consumers to purchase game consoles, and we remain focused on providing the largest library of blockbuster games available."
    Yeah, I know that "a Microsoft official" and "GamePro" aren't really official sounding, but I couldn't find a more legit link.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
    edited May 2008
    Gyral wrote: »
    "As we have stated, we have no plans to introduce a Blu-ray drive for Xbox 360," said a Microsoft official in an email to GamePro on Monday. "Games are what drive consumers to purchase game consoles, and we remain focused on providing the largest library of blockbuster games available."
    Yeah, I know that "a Microsoft official" and "GamePro" aren't really official sounding, but I couldn't find a more legit link.

Huh. I wonder why Microsoft is buying a fuck-ton of Blu-Ray drives from Asustek, then.

Because they are.

Daedalus on
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Huh. I wonder why Microsoft is buying a fuck-ton of Blu-Ray drives from Asustek, then.

Because they are.

Maybe this is the whole "denying comments because we want to make the announcement ourself" tactic.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008

Because they are.

Maybe this is the whole "denying comments because we want to make the announcement ourself" tactic.

Thats a Microsoft standard tactic. I was digging around in some news sites and I found something that made sense. http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/05/05/xbox-360-overhaul-come-august
    Someone speculated that the newer ATi graphics chips may assist in Blu-ray playback. Seems plausible. I mean, initially they say "No" Then they go all tight lipped about to a "no comment" Then an order for blu-ray players from asustek shows up. The circumstantial evidence is enough. I would still call it a rumor until something fully solid shows up though.

Viscountalpha on
  • ElucidaElucida Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Corporations tend to make official announcements when they want to and will directly contradict such announcements minutes before they make them. I.E. Are you going to release X? Company Spokesman, "We have no intention of releasing X." The very next day; Company Spokesman, "We're very pleased to present you with X."

Even if it is something a company is very obviously going to do they will deny it until they're ready to announce it. Which kind of sucks, because if it isn't painfully obvious you can't be sure if the rumor is true or false until after the fact. Well, unless the rumor comes from an extremely sketchy source (e.g. a crazy hobo*).

*Hobos are always right!

Elucida on
    FFXIV: Sylvinae Mori
    edited May 2008

Because they are.

First off, having no plans is different from having plans not to.

Secondly, Microsoft makes more than just video games.

Evander on
    edited May 2008
    Thats a Microsoft standard tactic.

It's just good business. You don't want to announce anything before it is finalized. If MSoft announced that they were looking in to it, and then changed their minds, that might make it look like they some how "failed", wheras if they say nothing, there's no negative public perception.

Btw, this practise is probably the most important thing that Peter Molynheux needs to learn (by his own admission.)

Evander on
  • GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    This wouldn't be a horrible upgrade to the old Elite model; in its current state it's a fairly minor upgrade from Premium, but if they are going to phase everything out to use new chipsets anyway then they can throw in a blu-ray drive and make it a legitimately upgraded "media center" 360 model for around the same cost as the low-end ps3

Gdiguy on
    edited May 2008

As far as Microsoft's hardware business is concerned, they make the 360 and related accessories, they make the Zune, and they have a line of fairly high-quality PC input devices.

Of those three things, I'm seeing one that would be able to make use of a Blu-Ray drive.

Daedalus on
    edited May 2008

As far as Microsoft's hardware business is concerned, they make the 360 and related accessories, they make the Zune, and they have a line of fairly high-quality PC input devices.

Of those three things, I'm seeing one that would be able to make use of a Blu-Ray drive.

Those are the items that Microsoft currently has for sale in the mass-market.

It is not impossible for Microsoft to be working on something else.

Personally, I am expecting a BD add-on for the 360 to be announced within the next few months, but there ARE other possibilities.

Evander on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    If it is an addon, I wonder if it will come in both black and white.

LewieP on
    edited May 2008

I just don't see Microsoft getting into the standalone player market. I mean, I suppose it's technically possible, I just don't see it as even a remote likelyhood.

Daedalus on
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008

I just don't see Microsoft getting into the standalone player market. I mean, I suppose it's technically possible, I just don't see it as even a remote likelyhood.

I think that is what makes this rumor so delicious. There are no clear indications of what it is going to be used for. Rumors claim its for a built in Blu-ray player but that seems off. I doubt the standalone player theory myself but I can't seem to make a competent claim what the blu-ray order will be used for.

The current theorys out there are
    1.360 add on
    2.360 replacment drive
    3.Stand-alone drive
    4. Something way out of left field which is not visible to any of us.
    5. Nothing at all. Scrapped project.

I would bet on theroy 1 personally, If I were betting.
    (*edit* irony of bullet list talking about a microsoft product just dawned on me)

Viscountalpha on