Options

[CoH/CoV] Arg, these tights are [chat]ing me.

• Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    everybody loves my costume, and i'm fairly sure i love my energy/electric blaster. hurray.

Angry on
  • Options
    LepwaveLepwave Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Screenshot of the auto turret floating, spoiler for hugeness. Also, it doesn't move yet, so I'm assuming its work in progress.
    Heres a silly bio and power selection while I'm dumping screenshots.

bioxj1.jpg

powersei4.jpg

Lepwave on
    XBL/CoX tags - Lepwave/@Lepwave
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    in before s3 bashes invulnerability

Pony on
  • Options
    PbPb Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I can bash it in his stead, if you want. I could probably go make a chart or something.

It would fucking deserve it.

Pb on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I know you and s3 don't accept "Well, I've never had problems with it" as a valid viewpoint on a set, Pb.

But the reality is... I've got a 44 SS/Invuln Brute and I've never really went "God damn it my character sucks because of his lousy powerset".

Basically the only thing that grinds my gears is the Psionic damage hole in the set. Fighting 3+ Rikti Mentalists hurts.

Otherwise, I basically have no complaints about it. I have every power in the set, and I do fine both solo and on groups.

Hell, I play on the highest or second highest difficulty when soloing most of the time and I die maybe once every three or four missions.

I mean, you can make charts and post statistic figures and point out how any other (or every other) defensive set is superior.

It doesn't effect or change my play experience.

Pony on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The Jerks tell me Inv is good for the Rome TF.

Scooter on
  • Options
    ClawshrimpyClawshrimpy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Hey folks, how has CoX been doing lately? I heard some rumors about PlayNC and the Devs abandoning it for a new game, but I hope that it is lies and also lies.

I'm thinking about reactivating.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Scooter wrote: »

it's all that lethal damage they do

that's where Invuln excels

Pony on
  • Options
    A-PuckA-Puck Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Hey folks, how has CoX been doing lately? I heard some rumors about PlayNC and the Devs abandoning it for a new game, but I hope that it is lies and also lies.

Not quite. Cryptic sold the IP and full rights of the game to PlayNC. PlayNC now is the sole owner and developer, and seems to be pouring a ton of money into the game. lots of QoL changes and nice shineys.

The state of the game is good.

A-Puck on
    Soon... soon I will install you, my precious.
  • Options
    Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Abandoning? Take a look at the latest test patch notes heh. Also if you want a reactivation code PM me your e-mail. That is if you have been gone for 90 days I don't even remember.

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    What's QoL stand for, I see that being thrown around a lot

...quingdom of loathing? nah

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Fleck0 wrote: »

Quality of Life. Small little things that make life better.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Fleck0 wrote: »

Quality of Life

Edit: Beated!

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So if I want to get a Villain to 50 easily, what should I be making? I've got a Dual Blade/Elec brute I play on Freedom that I'm really enjoying, but its not the fastest leveling and I want to make another villain on Virtue for PA Shenanigans but don't know what I want to make.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    SpongeCakeSpongeCake Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    If I were to give my honest and entirely unhelpful advice, I'd say don't bother. Just play what you enjoy and don't ruin the experience by bolting to 50.

In other news, the call of the CoX has come to me and I shall be resubscribing soon, possibly before Issue 12. Apparently I've also been away for over 90 days so when the time comes I'm sure some of us can come to an arrangement.

SpongeCake on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    The endgame in this game is not the point.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    SpongeCake wrote: »
    If I were to give my honest and entirely unhelpful advice, I'd say don't bother. Just play what you enjoy and don't ruin the experience by bolting to 50.

In other news, the call of the CoX has come to me and I shall be resubscribing soon, possibly before Issue 12. Apparently I've also been away for over 90 days so when the time comes I'm sure some of us can come to an arrangement.

PM me your e-mail if you want a code.

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    eelektrik wrote: »
    So if I want to get a Villain to 50 easily, what should I be making? I've got a Dual Blade/Elec brute I play on Freedom that I'm really enjoying, but its not the fastest leveling and I want to make another villain on Virtue for PA Shenanigans but don't know what I want to make.
    It's not so much what you make, as where you make it. And you've already decided to come to Virtue so that takes care of that problem.

As for fast leveling, I've seen broots that can solo 8-man instances at the 3rd or 4th difficulty level, but don't remember the powersets (I want to say Elec/Stone, but still just a guess). Fire/Psi PermaDoms are the new Farmer Bob of the moment, but tend to start slow (really slow).

see317 on
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The endgame is all about the purps.

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Its not so much that I want a 50 for 'endgame' since I know this isn't the game for that, I just want to be able to make a villain epic.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Lepwave wrote: »
    Stuff with pics

I just ran into that guy in PI. I think I pissed him off by following him around.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    eelektrik wrote: »
    Its not so much that I want a 50 for 'endgame' since I know this isn't the game for that, I just want to be able to make a villain epic.

Try to get on s3rial's farming team this weekend.

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Just because you can solo with it does not mean it's on a reasonable power level compared to the other sets. Any scrapper, tanker or brute primary/secondary combo can solo the highest difficulty. However, some do it better than others, and /Invuln is without a doubt the second worst defensive secondary (right after EA). That doesn't mean it's unplayable, or that people should just never play /Invuln characters, but if you're trying to argue that it's on par... Well, that's an argument that the cold, hard numbers disagree with.

want to make it clear i'm not trying to start an argument and I think that invuln is a good set conceptually, and good at what it does, but it doesn't do enough things and has a lot of junk powers that could be buffed.

Oh shit, that's what I get for quick replying to a thread I haven't refreshed in a while. NEVERMIND, THE DISCUSSION HAS MOVED ON.

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
    Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Pony wrote: »
    Scooter wrote: »

it's all that lethal damage they do

that's where Invuln excels

And the fact that there are fifty hundred million billion mobs in the TF.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Gear Girl wrote: »

Abandoning? Take a look at the latest test patch notes heh. Also if you want a reactivation code PM me your e-mail. That is if you have been gone for 90 days I don't even remember.

Yeah, I've been gone for a little longer than that.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    GhostalkerGhostalker Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So who is up for some good old fashion PvP tomorrow?

Virtue hosts a player run PvP event every week for guys just like you and me to get in some good casual fighting in the Arena. I've participated many times and been trashed many times with good laughs being had by all. You guys should join me this week to get a decent taste of PvP and to get the SG another meaningless badge and base component!

Here's how it works. Post the character(s) you want to fight with in this thread. Tomorrow at 8 pm EST send a tell to the organizer and at 8:30 pm EST head to Pocket D to get ready. The organizers will choose the teams and when you'll fight and how many fights you'll be in. The whole thing usually lasts 2-3 hours depending on the number of fights. You just have to be there for your fight so if you have a time problem ask for an early/late fight.

I have spoken.

Ghostalker on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    How long is that code good for? I need some time to get some cash on my debit card.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    How long is that code good for? I need some time to get some cash on my debit card.

2 months. Until Jul 08 2008 07:50PM to be exact.

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    PbPb Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I know you and s3 don't accept "Well, I've never had problems with it" as a valid viewpoint on a set, Pb.

But the reality is... I've got a 44 SS/Invuln Brute and I've never really went "God damn it my character sucks because of his lousy powerset".

Basically the only thing that grinds my gears is the Psionic damage hole in the set. Fighting 3+ Rikti Mentalists hurts.

Otherwise, I basically have no complaints about it. I have every power in the set, and I do fine both solo and on groups.

Hell, I play on the highest or second highest difficulty when soloing most of the time and I die maybe once every three or four missions.

I mean, you can make charts and post statistic figures and point out how any other (or every other) defensive set is superior.

Because WP is in pretty much every way superior. This isn't even a case where someone could point to concept, because there's really no conceptual difference between the sets, just a mechanical one. I don't think I'd ever make an Invuln again now that WP is around. I also found Ice to be a bit more survivable, when it comes to tanks. That's almost certainly due to having two panic buttons available.

Pb on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    So I ended up making a Fire/Energy dominator on Virtue with a costume and name I like(Crimson Fury, which only wasn't taken because It was the first character I made at CoH launch, a Fire/Axe tanker I only ever got to 7 but kept around so no one could take the name). I'll see how high I can get them tonight and tomorrow and possibly sidekick up for whatever S3rial is farming this weekend.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Gear Girl wrote: »

2 months. Until Jul 08 2008 07:50PM to be exact.

That's plenty of time, Ill reactivate when I can.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Pb wrote: »

Because WP is in pretty much every way superior. This isn't even a case where someone could point to concept, because there's really no conceptual difference between the sets, just a mechanical one. I don't think I'd ever make an Invuln again now that WP is around. I also found Ice to be a bit more survivable, when it comes to tanks. That's almost certainly due to having two panic buttons available.

I don't think Pony is trying to argue that invuln measures up to the other sets. He is just saying that he has played one and had very few problems playing it. He just wants to make the case that a person could play invuln and for the most part enjoy themselves, maybe not you(but then again you have a 50 invuln tank heh), but someone out there could as he did. There is a small conceptual difference between invuln and willpower and hell someone could even like the way one looks over the other(I actually like invuln as it is now) and that may be enough for them to choose invuln. I don't really know where I was going with this but it seems like there are two completely uncompatible arguments here that don't really mesh when you look at what each person is talking about.

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    duck.jpg

Never noticed this before.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Someone with photoshop skillz edit the D in Duck to a lowercase d and put his current avatar as the picture.

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    So, high-level Family on both hero and villain sides are getting their XP nerfed to hell and back. Minions will be giving Underling XP, Lts. giving Minion xp, and Bosses giving Lt. XP. So far it doesn't seem to apply to low-level Family, so it seems to affect just farmers.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    flammiebcflammiebc Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    korodullin wrote: »
    So, high-level Family on both hero and villain sides are getting their XP nerfed to hell and back. Minions will be giving Underling XP, Lts. giving Minion xp, and Bosses giving Lt. XP. So far it doesn't seem to apply to low-level Family, so it seems to affect just farmers.

Funny, I would've thought praetorian demons would've gotten that nerf before family mobs.

flammiebc on
    Switch: SW-7753-7176-1119
    PSN: LucidStar_BC
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    flammiebc wrote: »
    korodullin wrote: »

Funny, I would've thought praetorian demons would've gotten that nerf before family mobs.

People don't typically PL folks using the demons, since they're far more dangerous than the Family guys; the Family mission is also more easily farmable due to the glowies which end the mission, rather than a kill-all. People who PL using demons are just using it as a side effect of having to pad to get bigger spawns.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    ArcasArcas Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I guess that means I can move my brute from the TV Don mission to the large nemesis mission.

Arcas on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Pb wrote: »

So at what level exactly do you crank things to consider this?

I mean, there can't really be much of a difference solo or really even on teams except when faces with Psionic enemies; in these cases, a brute is going to kill things more quickly than he gets hurt pretty unanimously.

Is it measured by just how big you can crank a given spawn before it becomes too much to handle? Because again, an Invuln, especially with their panic button up, isn't going to have trouble even with huge groups unless they're Psionic.

I guess to me, it's like, yeah, the numbers are different, but put into play, the only difference I can actually witness seems to come up when there's a psychic bad guy around.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Wow. That family nerf really, really lame. In fact, that's precisely the sort of stupidity that earned Statesman my contempt.

They identify a problem, and instead of creating a solution to that problem that actually addresses the problem itself, they apply some sloppy, ill-conceived nerf that hurts everyone as a whole.

Now we've got level 50 family joining the likes of prisoners, hydras, comm officers, wolves, etc. Of course, the BP and behemoths are certainly on deck for this, now.

The problem is that they're not addressing the reasons that these things are farmed: that the economy is utterly broken by design (e.g. magic salvage), and that what the farmers are after are reward per time, not reward per effort. So, they screw everyone, and leave one more broken set of content in their wake. The farmers will move on to the next great thing, undeterred, and now there's one more chunk of game that no one wants to do.

The moral of the story is that in the developers' eyes, it seems that we all deserve less reward for our time and effort, because they think some people level too quickly.

Bravo, you sickeningly inept, arrogant fuck-ups. Bravo.

Ugh...

Seriously. Cap the number of mission resets if farming's the problem. Don't spoil it for everyone over such a stupid issue. Especially without addressing the underlying issues that lead to most farming in the first place.

This seriously wouldn't bother me if it worked in both directions. Family are pretty easy. As level 50 mobs go, they're pitiful. But it's always being adjusted down. Not once have they every said "Well, since Longbow nullifiers are so dangerous, we're going to give them boss-level experience values." GM experience values, along with AVs, don't even remotely reflect their difficulty or danger. Bone Daddies at low levels? Damned? Shit, those guys are easily worth 12-16 of their minions. Their experience values don't reflect that. Tsoo sorcerers? CoT spectral demon lords? Vahzilok bosses running Oppressive Gloom at level 4?

It's always take. Never give. That gets under my skin.

And as for the experience group this weekend, unless we get some mentors (or whatever the hell they're called red side), it doesn't look like it's going to work.

s3rial one on
This discussion has been closed.