As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mirror's Edge - PSN Demo 30th XBL Demo 31st

• Options
    MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I would suggest trying the demo.

It gives you a good feel for the game, I believe. My wife, watching me play, said it would probably make her ill if she tried to watch me play the full game.

Myself, being in control, didn't get ill. You might have better luck when you're actually in control and also have the "aiming dot" turned on.

Marikir on
    steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • Options
    MollifyMollify Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    That's good to know. I'll be trying the demo when my ps3 arrives!

Mollify on
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Oh god the 1st time trial is consuming me.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I have a sneaking suspicion that shimmying around that damn fence is what's slowing me down.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    DedianDedian Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I have a sneaking suspicion that shimmying around that damn fence is what's slowing me down.

Instead of going that route, try going up the "scaffolding" or whatever it is (right before you jump to the bar over the AC unit and then to the pipes...). Bypasses that fence altogether.

Dedian on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yeah, I was sure I was going to feel ill playing it and yet I felt fine after playing the demo. I think by trying to make the motion really realistic, they may have gotten past that pseudo-realistic movement issue that makes me sick.

EDIT: Is the Time Attack mode just timed versions of the main game or are they levels specifically for time trials?

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008

When you see it, you'll kick yourself.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    darleysam wrote: »
    Sheep wrote: »
    Story is good, but may be a little too low key for some.

Define "low key".

"Low key" as in they don't cram everything down your throat and allow the player to fill in the blanks themselves?

That's not low key. That's just good writing.

This thing is slick and the girl may have delicately feathered hair, but I don't want JRPG like dialogue and plot arrangement thankyouverymuch.

Celeste turns out to be the main antagonist. You have to race her for the final 'boss fight'. You have to lap her (smirk and I stab you) 3 times while she transforms into Ultimate Celeste, Hyper Celeste and then Final Celeste.

Also she killed your parents.

Followed by an awkward love scene.

Sheep on
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Define "low key".

"Low key" as in they don't cram everything down your throat and allow the player to fill in the blanks themselves?

This thing is slick and the girl may have delicately feathered hair, but I don't want JRPG like dialogue and plot arrangement thankyouverymuch.

Celeste turns out to be the main antagonist. You have to race her for the final 'boss fight'. You have to lap her (smirk and I stab you) 3 times while she transforms into Ultimate Celeste, Hyper Celeste and then Final Celeste.

Don't forget she casts Meteor in her Final form.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    YorkerYorker Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Celeste turns out to be the main antagonist. You have to race her for the final 'boss fight'. You have to lap her (:winky:) 3 times while she transforms into Ultimate Celeste, Hyper Celeste and then Final Celeste.

Seriously though, i'm just looking forward to this more and more every day, looks like DICE is doing great.

Yorker on
    76561198037322631.png
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    First, when does this drop?

And what would be your call, PC or 360?

I like the 360 controls in this case, since I don't really need to shoot shit, but I'm worried I'd miss out on mod stuff if I went with it.

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I am so torn now. The two demos that came out last week just destroyed my wallet. Tomb Raider Underworld is honestly the best looking game I've ever seen. I stood on ledges and just looked at the ocean. It's what the LOST video game should have looked like. And it was so fun.

And then Mirrors Edge just blew me away. I have no idea what to do Tuesday.

Also - the only thing that makes me quesy is the roll move. Everytime I'd roll I'd have to look away from the screen. That's a lotta motion.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

I like the 360 controls in this case, since I don't really need to shoot shit, but I'm worried I'd miss out on mod stuff if I went with it.

Extremely doubtful it's going to have mod support, and the PC version doesn't drop until some time in 2009 in any case.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I finally gave in and preordered the game.

The guy @ Gamestop told me he's been offering the preorder to everyone but no one's taken him up on it.

ringswraith on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Extremely doubtful it's going to have mod support, and the PC version doesn't drop until some time in 2009 in any case.

Why is it doubtful that it will have mod support? BF1942/2/2142 all had mod support.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Aumni wrote: »

Define "low key".

If they can lease the engine or whatever for this game out for some ridiculous anime game, I'd totally buy that, too. Air Gear maybe? Hmm, now I'm interested in seeing a stand alone animated movie in the cutscene style. Maybe they could release it online. Between this game and the next?

Game needs to hurry up and come out.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Reynolds wrote: »

Define "low key".

If they can lease the engine or whatever for this game out for some ridiculous anime game, I'd totally buy that, too. Air Gear maybe? Hmm, now I'm interested in seeing a stand alone animated movie in the cutscene style. Maybe they could release it online. Between this game and the next?

The engine's just Unreal 3, the most licensed engine there is pretty much.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    That's why I said 'or whatever'. I don't know how to describe what they've done here to make it work, but I think you get it.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Reynolds wrote: »

Define "low key".

Despite being a terribly fan service-y anime that happily panders to the gravity defying boobage / panty shot crowd, I could see a fast paced Mirror's Edge take on the series as being extremely fun. Just, without the non-race oriented fight sequences being playable, because that would be awkward and dumb... -er than it even was in the anime.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    Doc HollidayDoc Holliday Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    All of this speculation is wrong. The final boss is actually a walking skyscraper, and you have to stab its weak point for massive damage.

The original title for the game was Mirror's Edge: Urban Colossus.

Doc Holliday on
    PSN & Live: buckwilson
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    All of this speculation is wrong. The final boss is actually a walking skyscraper, and you have to stab its weak point for massive damage.

The original title for the game was Mirror's Edge: Urban Colossus.

I'd buy it.

Fig-D on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Twice.

I keep thinking that this is what the Matrix games should have been like.

LewieP on
  • Options
    JRoseyJRosey Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So would I need an Xbox Live Gold account to play the time trials?

If so this game is going to cost me $100 :(

JRosey on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    JRosey wrote: »
    So would I need an Xbox Live Gold account to play the time trials?

If so this game is going to cost me $100 :(

I wouldn't think so.

yalborap on
  • Options
    JRoseyJRosey Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    When I try to access the time trial in the demo is says my Live account doesn't have "permission".

JRosey on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    JRosey wrote: »
    When I try to access the time trial in the demo is says my Live account doesn't have "permission".

Do you have the pre-order code?

yalborap on
  • Options
    nervenerve Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

spoiler picture
    1000585rb82.jpg

nerve on
  • Options
    SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    LewieP wrote: »
    Twice.

...why?

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    LewieP wrote: »
    Twice.

...why?

Makes sense to me. Double the distance for jumps/climbing, give everything a coat of black, add in a few more attack animations, done.

LeumasWhite on
    QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    nope, that's making absolutely no sense in my brain. Exactly how does this even vaguely relate to the matrix? did I forget the bit where he free runs to carry a message in it? or doesn't use guns?

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Options
    UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    nope, that's making absolutely no sense in my brain. Exactly how does this even vaguely relate to the matrix? did I forget the bit where he free runs to carry a message in it? or doesn't use guns?

If you don't see the stylistic similarities between the matrix and mirrors edge then um, well, you just need to look at them both again i guess

Urian on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I get the stylistic similarities, but the core gameplay couldn't really be anything similar.

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    This is what The Warriors game should have been like. Those chase sequences using the Mirror's Edge approach? Awesome.

EDIT: I shouldn't say "should have been like." I can just imagine The Warriors in a whole new style than what Rockstar presented it as (which was awesome, don't get me wrong).

Fig-D on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It would be a good Matrix game if they stuck with the premise of "you have to run from the agents"

The attack animations could be used for disarming cops and shit

Add in some bullet time and a coat of black and grey and bam, Matrix game that is actually legitimately good

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    actually thinking about it it makes sense as a sort of side story, maybe about someone who wasn't neo or particularly awesome.

I was thinking about it more as the existing matrix games turned into this.

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Why bother with an existing matrix game? If you shine a turd it's just a shiny turd.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Not remakes, just that they were made like this instead of the way they were.

Like path of neo made into this wouldn't make a great deal of sense.

And that I couldn't think of any scenes in the films which particularly suggested free-running.

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I get the stylistic similarities, but the core gameplay couldn't really be anything similar.

"Trinity" running from an agent? Jumping from rooftop to rooftop? --- "My advice - if you seen an agent, do what we do: run"

Bold, distinct colours?

The liberal use of bullet time?

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Ah I see. Yeah Neo wouldn't work. That would be as stupid as making a fighting game with super man as one of the characters. He's just too powerful.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    If they based it off the first Matrix movie it would work perfectly.

Urian on