As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX 2008 Button Exchange! Updated OP 8/9

• Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Putpocket should be played with something suitably creepy, like Barbie heads.

I mean, if you're gonna cross that line, cross it sprinting.

Imperfect on
  • Options
    AydrAydr Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    HotSake wrote: »
    Hey! We could use the buttons for a rousing game of putpocket! ;)
    WIN

Awesome. Putpocket + pointy things. Awesome.

Also I am so in for this. Tentatively. If I end up getting the buttons.

Aydr on
  • Options
    LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Whohoo! badges and cards!
    Hey! We could use the buttons for a rousing game of putpocket! ;)

*sigh*

That's what I meant!

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • Options
    chaosisorderchaosisorder Cupcake Princess and Pinny Whore OregonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Hmmm, doesn't the 'gotta catch 'em all' imply we have to win the forumer buttons?

I demand mortal combat before giving up my buttons. Defeat in pictochat. Rock, paper, scissors.

My buttons shall not go quietly into the night.

chaosisorder on
  • Options
    redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Hmmm, doesn't the 'gotta catch 'em all' imply we have to win the forumer buttons?

I demand mortal combat before giving up my buttons. Defeat in pictochat. Rock, paper, scissors.

My buttons shall not go quietly into the night.

That's a great idea. I say, if you want to challenge someone for a button, go for it. A DS mini game or something equally simple.

redhalo on
  • Options
    PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I might make a couple badges; one is just a give-away and the other needs to be earned in a Tetris bout.

PeasantDave on
  • Options
    BrokenAngelBrokenAngel Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I am so in <3

BrokenAngel on
    k9mk2carn.pngeleventhdoc2carn.png *Proud Head Girl of Slytherin & Team Red*
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Ooh, tetris? It, my friend, is on.

Also chaosisorder, I'll gladly Paper Rock Scissors for it. Consider yourself challenged! =)

Ahh! LPM (LewieP's Mom... do you mind if I call you LPM? =) ), I didn't realize you were making a reference to the same joke! lol! At least our minds were in the same place, for better or worse. =)

Imperfect: Your "I mean, if you're gonna cross that line, cross it sprinting." quote is officially going into my sig. =) I'm at work, and I chuckled so loud when I read it that I had to close the window because my boss came by to see what the hell I was doing.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Oh, I'm definitely in. I have two options, though - make a set of Jump Leads badges, or making a set with my old Worms avatar on them.

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Kind of a motto of mine. Along with:

"I prefer an interesting vice to a boring virtue."

Imperfect on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Imperfect wrote: »
    Kind of a motto of mine. Along with:

"I prefer an interesting vice to a boring virtue."

lol, awesome! =) You should put one of those on your badges along with your screen name. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yeah I'm in for this. I'm going to make some special Penny Arcade TF2 buttons to hand out.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    This would be so easy for me, since ya know... I only have to do my avatar.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    lol, true =)

The PA TF2 buttons sound like a great idea too jon! =) This'll be fun.

If I can make it to PAX and have money to do so, maybe I'll make a few different FF VI scenes for my buttons. Collect 'em all! =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Such a good idea, themed badges, I could do ones of Lewie from old photos, just so he can contribute more to the strange and embarrassing moments thread ... "I went to PAX, and met loads of people wearing badges of me aged 6" I can just hear him going *sigh*

LewieP's Mummy on

• Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    Such a good idea, themed badges, I could do ones of Lewie from old photos, just so he can contribute more to the strange and embarrassing moments thread ... "I went to PAX, and met loads of people wearing badges of me aged 6" I can just hear him going *sigh*

You know, I wasn't really interested in this whole button trading thing until right now.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited May 2008
    I wonder how much Lewie will pay to get those buttons back

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    Kwisatz HaderachKwisatz Haderach Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    I wonder how much Lewie will pay to get those buttons back

I imagine it'll probably be along the lines of "Go to College" vs. "Buy Back Embarrassing PAX Buttons" - I wonder which he'll choose...

On a side note, when I first saw this thread I thought it was a prep thread for the # badges we'll all scramble for from the nVidia booth. I like this "Pokebadges" idea better, though - sign me up!

Kwisatz Haderach on
    Twitter: @Quintonious (new, infrequently post)
    PSN: Quintonious
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited May 2008
    God, I hope nVidia doesn't do that again. I know nVidia loves to give shit away, but can't they do it in a way that doesn't involve people clogging up the standing areas with makeshift cardboard signs?

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The idea of a load of people wearing badges with me at vaious stages of my childhood is weird as hell.

Not embarrassing at all, but certainly weird.

Feel free to do it I guess.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I want the one of LewieP covered in spaghetti!

I swear to god, every male child has one of those tucked away somewhere in his mother's collection.

Imperfect on
  • Options
    NorthNorth Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    It's a conspiracy. They throw spaghetti on you and take a picture. They must be stopped.

North on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    My only baby picture is my avatar. My parents took me to a big sit down portrait session, and this is the one they picked. My friends say this explains a lot about me.

jonxp on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    You were BURPING spaghetti.

Imperfect on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I was actually sneezing, but it made me look like I was roaring at the camera.

jonxp on
  • Options
    mare_imbriummare_imbrium Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I totally want to do this even though nobody knows who I am. I guess I'll use this avatar even though I use a different one on 360 arcadians (which is where I am more often). I've used this one there before too so it works.

I imagine even if we don't get 50 people to participate we'll still probably run into people who think the button thing is cool and will want one. I like the idea of winning them too.

mare_imbrium on
    v2zAToe.jpg
    Wii: 4521 1146 5179 1333 Pearl: 3394 4642 8367 HG: 1849 3913 3132
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I should pick a DS game with download play to get really really good at.

Imperfect on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    So the copyright thing...I mean how is that going to work? My avatar is a picture I took of a game (EBA if you don't know). So...am I not allowed to make buttons with it? Do I have to get my own button-maker?

mare_imbrium on
    v2zAToe.jpg
  • Options
    NorthNorth Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    As long as you aren't trying to sell them and only print a small number like 50 you should be alright. I'm not a lawyer though. Someone call Speezy.

North on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Here, I looked into it pretty deeply in the "New to PAX" thread:
    Imperfect wrote:
    After looking up Fair Dealing and Fair Use on the wiki (the Canadian and American equivalents of the same law, essentially), I'm convinced this wouldn't be a problem. Now, IANAL, but there's four considerations under which Fair Use is evaluated:
    1. Purpose and Character: "A key consideration is the extent to which the use is interpreted as transformative, as opposed to merely derivative." In our cases, we're transforming popular icons into forum avatars and personalities. For some, we'd have to take more creative liberties with the images we use, perhaps getting one of the forum artists to create a "non-copyrighted equivalent of the work" first.
    2. Nature of the copied work: I found nothing useful regarding this in either direction.
    3. Amount and substantiality: "Likewise, see Kelly v. Arriba Soft Corporation,where the Ninth Circuit held that copying an entire photo to use as a thumbnail in online search results did not weigh against fair use, "if the secondary user only copies as much as is necessary for his or her intended use." Still frame images used as forum avatars seem to fall under this category.
    4. Effect upon work's value: This is where parody comes in: "Courts recognize that certain kinds of market harm do not oppose fair use, such as when a parody or negative review impairs the market of the original work." But ultimately, I think you'd have to really work at it to ensure that your forum avatar reprinted on some buttons with your name on it significantly affects the market for the original media on which your image is based.

So a) it doesn't look like it's illegal, and b) even if it were, it doesn't look like it's wrong. I know, I know, that doesn't make it right, but there's a whole category of situations where people don't follow the letter of the law, but are okay because without them we'd live in an anal hellhole.

Anyone else want to weight in and let me know where I've seriously misread things, though?

Again, though: not a lawyer. Never even took an interest in it. This is inexpert opinion only.

But in my opinion, I wouldn't worry about it.

Imperfect on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Imperfect wrote: »
    I want the one of LewieP covered in spaghetti!

Nah, it was mushy peas (he's a true Northern Lad!)

LewieP's Mummy on

• Options
    edited May 2008
    The only problem is that the robot lawyers don't really actually care much about the actual law. But I guess worst that can happen is I'll order buttons and they'll refuse to fill my order and refund my money. So oh well.

mare_imbrium on
    v2zAToe.jpg
  • Options
    redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The only problem is that the robot lawyers don't really actually care much about the actual law. But I guess worst that can happen is I'll order buttons and they'll refuse to fill my order and refund my money. So oh well.

My experience with Cafepress is that some times they question stuff, sometimes they ignore it. If they do question it, I have had absolutely no luck with claiming that the work is a parody. Regardless of copyright laws saying or not saying that one can make a direct parody, Cafepress has a direct clause stating that they can refuse anything on a whim. As such, if they can recognise something that remotely looks like someone elses work, they'll shut you down regardless of any argument you can make. That being said, obscure stuff slips by them often.

redhalo on
  • Options
    TimeCruiserMikeTimeCruiserMike Past Organizer of the West Coast Train Trip San Fernando ValleyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Buttons? Buttons? I don't need no stinking buttons.

i look just like my forum avatar . . . and as an added bonus my uniform has my forum handle sewn right on the front.
    gatcm-500x500.jpg

TimeCruiserMike on
    SkOelFN.png
    {Fondly remembers the PAXTrain}
  • Options
    AydrAydr Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Buttons? Buttons? I don't need no stinking buttons.

i look just like my forum avatar . . . and as an added bonus my uniform has my forum handle sewn right on the front.
    gatcm-500x500.jpg

So people can challenge you for articles of clothing instead?

:winky:

Aydr on
  • Options
    TimeCruiserMikeTimeCruiserMike Past Organizer of the West Coast Train Trip San Fernando ValleyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Aydr wrote: »

So people can challenge you for articles of clothing instead?

:winky:

uh . . .. i'll have gamer army patches . .. how about that? i've got about nineteen of them left over from last year and i'm sure i'll get some more this year
    stackofpatches.jpg

TimeCruiserMike on
    SkOelFN.png
    {Fondly remembers the PAXTrain}
  • Options
    ukiyo eukiyo e Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm definitely in. I love the idea of having different challenges associated with ours pins, but I'll probably just buy a bunch and whore mine out :)

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Mine are going to require a password. :D

jonxp on
  • Options
    casper702casper702 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    now i have to make a avatar

casper702 on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I think you'll have to exchange something red and/or sparkly for mine.

LewieP's Mummy on

This discussion has been closed.