As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Laptop Question(closing the lid and still having it on)

minigunwielderminigunwielder __BANNED USERS regular
I really need to get my Vista laptop set up so that it still does something(mainly, downloading and installing shit, using the CDD, that stuff), and never turns off when plugged in and closed, so, how do I do this?

minigunwielder on

• Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    It's just in Power options, there is a dropdown marked "when I close the lid on my laptop" and set it to "Do Nothing"

This is in XP, I asume it's in Vista.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Make sure that by closing the laptop, you're not blocking fan vents.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    gneGnegneGne Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Does this also exist for Apple MacBook. It keeps going to sleep after I close it.

gneGne on
    pasigcopyox6.jpg
  • Options
    KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    gneGne wrote: »
    Does this also exist for Apple MacBook. It keeps going to sleep after I close it.

I've heard it's in-particularly bad to do this with Apple laptops, as heat is vented through the keyboard (or something like that), and as such gets blasted directly onto the screen for long periods of time.

Kris on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    whereas on this Dell Insipidron 5150 that somebody loaned me recently, heat is not vented at all, so the laptop overheats equally quickly whether or not the lid is closed.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Haha. What a horrible design. D:

Kris on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Kris wrote: »
    Haha. What a horrible design. D:

It vented at some point in the past, I suppose. The only fan is an intake, so dust goes in and it doesn't go out, instead staying in the heatsink forever. I believe there was a class-action lawsuit.

In any case, it's serviceable enough if I keep the CPU locked down on the lowest clock speed. It's better than not having a laptop, and not having a laptop is better than my previous laptop, where the charger decided to spew bright blue sparks everywhere one day, and nobody makes replacement chargers for it, not even the manufacturer anymore.

Daedalus on