As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Switching jobs?

dkembledkemble Registered User regular
edited May 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So currently I work with adults with autism with supported living services. My short term goal is to move up to a case/program manager position. I''ve been in the field for over 3 years and have a BA in Psychology.

Recently I got accepted to the master's program at Seattle University for Community/Mental Health Counseling and I start in the fall. SU has some admin. assistant positions open. Normally I wouldn't consider it since it's really not in my career path, but one of their benefits is paid tuition. They will pay 100 percent of tuition for 20 credits. Now I plan to take 6 credits each quarter (summer included) so all but 4 credits would be paid for (one credit is 500 ish dollars for 2007-2008).

My only concern is that if I take this position (assume that I do indeed get it) that I'm not getting any more exp. in the social service field (outside of my internships). So, is it worth leaving the field for a few years while I get my M.A. degree paid for?

dkemble on

• Options
    ihmmyihmmy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I think it is, solely because it's temporary and drastically reduces your costs. Besides, a little office experience isn't going to hurt you any. It's not like it's a 10 year contract or anything. My only concern would be making sure you don't burn out from working and doing school at the same time (master's programs generally being intense, at least hereabouts they usually are)

ihmmy on
  • Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    It's probably worth it, but you want to make sure you've done the research. Many university positions that pay tuition have restrictions on how many courses you can take, how long you have to work before getting paid tuition benefits, how many hours you can work and still take classes. They frequently also have permission requirements (as in you need to have supervisor permission to register for classes).

If none of that is an issue or works out well, then definitely go for the job. Even though it's not in your field, if you can get them to pay tuition it's definitely worth it.

Daenris on
  • Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Also, take into account that you'll be taxed on the 'free tuition' as if it were income, since in a way it is income.

Cauld on
  • Options
    CooterTKECooterTKE Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    you need to check as i know my company if they pay for your classes then leave with in 5 years you have to pay it back.

CooterTKE on
  • Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    In addition some positions will only do the paid tuition if it's in a field that would benefit the company in some way. Check to make sure it's open for your classes and that there's no "work for us for X years afterwards" clause.

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391