As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Alternative, off-the-path, under-the-radar... comix

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    where were you reading up on it? I haven't seen much about it, but then I haven't really been looking for the stuff. I kind of forgot about it.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    pope's blog

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited November 2008
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    I was just reading up on Paul Pope's book Battling Boy

the dude has been working on it for like 2 years I think

and says it's gonna be ready in 2010

aaarrrrgh god damn it pope come on

that said it's probably going to be huge as fuck considering one of the fight scenes is like 50 pages

It seems to be the way of things in comics that the best artists gradually slow to an intolerable crawl.

I think this is especially true of guys like Pope, who can command much more money doing commercial illustration work and "fine art."

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    jacobkosh wrote: »

the dude has been working on it for like 2 years I think

and says it's gonna be ready in 2010

aaarrrrgh god damn it pope come on

that said it's probably going to be huge as fuck considering one of the fight scenes is like 50 pages

It seems to be the way of things in comics that the best artists gradually slow to an intolerable crawl.

I think this is especially true of guys like Pope, who can command much more money doing commercial illustration work and "fine art."
    I mean it's his book so you can't really complain about it so whatever

plus those pope jeans are fucking hot

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited November 2008
    I mean it's his book so you can't really complain about it so whatever

Oh, you definitely can't complain about it. I don't mind "slow" artists as long as they don't solicit stuff that never materializes, or whatever. It's just that with guys who keep these really idiosyncratic schedules, they tend to drop off my mental radar if I haven't read anything by them in a while. Kyle Baker, for instance - he takes years between books.

(Speaking of Baker, as per the original point of this thread, every sonofabitch here needs to read Why I Hate Saturn, one of the actual funniest funny-books ever made. And it's completely gorgeous to boot.)

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    animaleanimale Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I picked up a bunch of books at the Small Press Expo in MD last month or two months ago. But most importantly everyone should pick up Tales Designed to Thrizzle by Michael Kupperman, it's published by Fantagraphics and it is fantastic.

animale on
  • Options
    FeathersMcGrawFeathersMcGraw Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Seriously. If most of the designs I thought I'd actually wear weren't sold out, I'd be buying them now.

FeathersMcGraw on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    (Speaking of Baker, as per the original point of this thread, every sonofabitch here needs to read Why I Hate Saturn, one of the actual funniest funny-books ever made. And it's completely gorgeous to boot.)

kyle baker's plastic man was so underappreciated it was criminal. if a person has not read it, i would like to literally charge that person with a crime.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Volume 2 of that was on offer at Forbidden Planet, so of course I ordered it and of course they ran out of stock the next day.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Has anyone read City of Dust? Supernatural stuff plus detective fiction seems to be a good fit for my sensibilities.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Servo wrote: »

kyle baker's plastic man was so underappreciated it was criminal. if a person has not read it, i would like to literally charge that person with a crime.

Honestly, the only stuff of his I've never really connected with was the very early stuff ("Cowboy Wally", mainly). Everything else has been A++.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    Nikolai!Nikolai! Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

I think I read somewhere that there's already a movie in the works based off of it.

Nikolai! on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Nikolai! wrote: »

I think I read somewhere that there's already a movie in the works based off of it.

Paramount and Brad Pitt's Plan B, who are also doing Kick-Ass and The Killer (the french comic about the assassin guy).

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited November 2008

I'm so mad that the trades don't collect all the issues.

It took so long for me to get the two trades because Barnes & Noble kept messing up the order (I ordered them through the store). By the time they arrived they had 12 copies of each for me. I was like, "uh...I only want one of each"

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    nindustrialnindustrial Word Typer Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So, uh... new Phonogram comes out this Wed. - SO EXCITED. Thanks again for suggesting it earlier on, folks.

nindustrial on
    chstreamsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    So, uh... new Phonogram comes out this Wed. - SO EXCITED. Thanks again for suggesting it earlier on, folks.

EVERYONE BUY IT.

EVERYONE.

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    Dr. JeebusDr. Jeebus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I doubt any of these count as being "indie" enough for this thread, but some things I'm reading that I really enjoy are Kick-Ass, Northlanders, The Boys, and The Umbrella Academy.

Dr. Jeebus on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

EVERYONE BUY IT.

EVERYONE.

What's it about?

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    wwtMask wrote: »

EVERYONE BUY IT.

EVERYONE.

What's it about?

Well.. it's about magic and music. People who use music to perform magic, called Phonomancers. Um, the first volume was about this phonomancer whose "patron deity", if you will, was the goddess of brit-pop. Granted, taking place in 2005 she is dead.. but someone is trying to resurrect her and stuff starts getting all messed up. Anyway, very cool. The new one takes place all in one evening at a club, set in 2006, and won't be britpop-centric (though even if you didn't dig britpop, you could still enjoy the first book: e.g. I did).

You can check out a preview of the first five pages here. The blog for the series is here.

nindustrial on
    chstreamsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Holy shit there's an 11 page preview of Incognito and it's so good.

I'm so pumped for this book.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=1591&disp=table

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Holy shit there's an 11 page preview of Incognito and it's so good.

I'm so pumped for this book.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=1591&disp=table

oooo!

Other than the fact that I'll miss Criminal for a little while, I was very impressed by the couple pages shown in the last two issues of Criminal and am definitely looking forward to this.

nindustrial on
    chstreamsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    wait, what? is criminal going on hold for incognito? fuck that

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    dude whatever incognito is gonna be great and criminal isn't getting cancelled

besides after the ending to bad night I could use a break

shit was hardcore

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    fuck that, i need more.

i mean, yeah, incognito looks great, i'll totally buy it.

but i already love criminal, dammit

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I;m going to try and get some Criminal for Christmas guys. And maybe the first trade of Scalped.

Incognito looks good. 3.50 is steep though. Not as steep as comics will be soon, but a single of 2.99 had better have backmatter or more than 22 pages of story or something. It sounds like Incognito will have back matter. :)

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Wait, who's putting Incognito out? I assumed since it's Brubaker (and based on the number of people who had been adding it to their subscriptions where I work) that it was just a regular Marvel title.

$3.50 an issue definitely isn't steep though, considering everything is already $2.99 anyway (Unless you read nothing but Tiny Titans or Archie). There are a LOT of books for $3.99 or even $4.99 that come out each week. Oh yeah, and since books are monthly, if the extra 51 cents a month Incognito will cost you over another $2.99 title is going to break the bank, then you probably shouldn't be buying comics anyway.

Dr. Jeebus on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2008
    Incognito is going to be an Icon book, I think. Marvel's special 'keep the talent happy and win awards' line of books.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    $3.50 is pretty good considering the extra pages in Criminal. I've learned a lot about noir fiction since I started reading the book. I'm guessing that Incognito might have the same back matter.

Also, I just read the latest issue of Criminal last night. Jesus Christ, Jacob is nuttier than a fruitcake.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Damn, Incognito looks sweet.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I thought about trying Phonogram a while back but the story just didn't interest me. I do love Jamie McKelvie's art though.

smokmnky on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    smokmnky wrote: »
    I thought about trying Phonogram a while back but the story just didn't interest me. I do love Jamie McKelvie's art though.
    way to hate music

Pull Shapes was so good oh man.

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    $3.50 is pretty good considering the extra pages in Criminal. I've learned a lot about noir fiction since I started reading the book. I'm guessing that Incognito might have the same back matter.

So I take it you're thrilled with the upcoming Marvel titles like X-men Noir and Spiderman Noir? :P

Dr. Jeebus on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Dr. Jeebus wrote: »

So I take it you're thrilled with the upcoming Marvel titles like X-men Noir and Spiderman Noir? :P

I actually just read X-Men Noir. Didn't realize that it had backmatter. T'was a pleasant surprise. More books should do that, just have the writer do four or five pages of prose to fill in the story. I definitely makes Criminal and the Dark Tower books better values.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    wait, what? is criminal going on hold for incognito? fuck that

Bru said he and Phillips need the mental break. They're taking five months for Incognito and then going back to Criminal.

And the backmatter in Incognito is going to be similar to Criminal's but more focused on pulp. He actually mentioned Doc Savage and the Shadow.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I'm adding Incognito to my list at the store.
    My wife ordered Jack Kirby's OMAC hardcover for me at Borders today. :)

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2008
    way to hate music

I was gutted to find out that the lineup of the Pipettes no longer includes any original members.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Bogart wrote: »
    way to hate music

I was gutted to find out that the lineup of the Pipettes no longer includes any original members.
    well, Gwen-O might as well be an original member

but yeah I don't know how the next album is gonna be

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    KieronGillenKieronGillen Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    It's telling the thing which finally makes me crack and make a Penny Arcade forum account is discussion of i) a pop band ii) me. Man! I am bad.
    well, Gwen-O might as well be an original member

but yeah I don't know how the next album is gonna be

Yeah, it'll be interesting. Always worth remembering though that this was the game-plan all along. They lobbed it all in manifestos and similar. I'll wait and see.

Regarding Phonogram - thanks for the plugs, assorted folk. It's fun one to do, and the reviews actually seem to be a step up even from the well-recieved first series. Which is getting Jamie and I a little worried. Backlash inevitable.

(We're bad cloud-to-every-silver-lining pessimists, us.)

smokmnky: If you mean that in a "First series didn't interest me when flicking" kinda way, you may want to actually want to flick through an issue next time you're in a shop. We played with tone and approach considerably between the two series - we take a sort of "series=Album" approach, so that they i) all stand alone ii) all have a different sort of timbre. We kind of welcome people actually only liking one series, in the same way that people may only like one albums by a given band.

(I mean, we'd prefer everyone to like everything, but that's never going to happen)

In other notes: Everyone buy Incognito. Brubaker and Phillips are a phenomenon.

KG

KieronGillen on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    It's always great when creators post here.

Also I am eagerly anticipating Incognito.

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Hey, another real live creator in our midst! Clearly PA has it's finger on the pulse of the comic book industry now. :P

Anyway, Phonogram is on my HeavyInk wishlist. I'll probably hook it up if I get some Christmas cash. I think I skipped over it because I thought it was some sort of "slice of life" book. I didn't realize magic was involved.

wwtMask on