As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How do you go from friends to >friends? [girl thread, sorry]

KingGeedorahKingGeedorah Registered User new member
edited May 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm not the type to do things like post girl threads, but there's a first time for everything.

So, after a very rough breakup about a month ago, I've started to have feelings for a close friend of mine. We've been friends for almost 5 years, and seen each other through ups and downs, including relationships with people (both of us) who were completely not right for each other.

She's beautiful, intelligent, hilarious, ambitious, and we have a ton of fun together.

The problem? I'm having a hard time breaking the friend vibe, as much as I want to. I think she's interested, if I'm not reading the signs wrong, but I just don't know how to morph our relationship into something else. If she was some girl I had just met, it would be one thing, but how do you flip the script on a long term friendship? It doesn't help that I've been in a relationship for 4 years, and become quite rusty at the whole wooing/dating phase.

Help?

tl;dr - Close friends with a great girl who seems to be interested in me now that I'm newly single. Advice on going from friends, to more than friends for a rusty dater.

KingGeedorah on

• Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Well, I treat my wife like my best friend because she is. Unless you're saying "friendly vibe" to mean "touching you would be really weird." If she's your friend, I would strongly suggest bringing it up verbally rather than making a move.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    RubickRubick Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Why don't you just ask her on a date? Use that word, "date."

Rubick on
  • Options
    TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Seriously dude stop trying to "figure her out" and just ask her if she would like to go on a date some night.

Tasteticle on

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • Options
    JeiceJeice regular
    edited May 2008
    Seriously dude stop trying to "figure her out" and just ask her if she would like to go on a date some night.

This.

Don't over-think, which is what most guys tend to do in these situations. Just ask her out on a date, make sure she knows it's a date, and do what you normally do on dates.

Jeice on
  • Options
    Mad HatterMad Hatter Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Jeice wrote: »

This.

Don't over-think, which is what most guys tend to do in these situations. Just ask her out on a date, make sure she knows it's a date, and do what you normally do on dates.

This also: act normal, like you do everytime you see her.

Mad Hatter on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]