As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pre-Pax Breakfast (Pike Place) NOW WITH PICS!

• MR.TMR.T Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm sure there will be epic amounts of caffeine available for those wishing to avoid "the bat." :zzz:

MR.T on
  • EarleyEarley juicyjones Seattle WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Just in case anyone else is interested, I'll be having breakfast up the hill just a few blocks to Capitol Hill. Normally a local person wouldn't go to Pike Place Market for breakfast. There are very very many places to get some coffee and breakfast on Capitol Hill, which is the neighborhood right next door to the convention center to the west. In fact, it's one of the hippest places in town, and the market is one of the least hip places with the most expensive and touristy restaurants.

Most likely we'll be going to Linda's, but there's also the Six Arms and a lot more places on the way to Broadway, as well as grocery stores and the like. There are also several coffee shops worth their salt -- Victrola, Bauhaus, Caffe Vivace, Caffe Vita. Should I make a google map? Anyone interested in joining up?

Earley

Earley on
  • ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I don't think hip-ness was the qualitative criterion driving this, otherwise we'd probably be getting Top Pot donuts and picnicing under the Lenin statue in Fremont or something.

I love Victrola and Bauhaus, but breakfast there? Nah. Never been to Linda's though, so I can't speak to that.

However being as local as most people can get besides capital "N" Natives or people who can trace back before statehood, I feel like going to Pike Place for breakfast with a bunch of tourists makes me analogous to the goth kid in that South Park episode about street dance battling. I'm so nonconformist that I'm not going to conform to your nonconformity or some such.

ElectricTurtle on
    hnqdemw8w8d6.png
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited June 2008
    Also $6.50 for all you can eat Belgian waffles with fruit doesn't sound expensive to me.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited June 2008
    Besides, a lot of us ARE tourists. :P It's better to accept ourselves for who we are (tourists) than try to pass ourselves off as something we are not (Natives).

MR.T on
  • LyanthLyanth Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I don't think hip-ness was the qualitative criterion driving this

Exactly. And may I re-iterate, there will be a lot of tourists going on this trip. So its nice to give them a chance to see a cool, albeit touristy, part of town before they get locked up in the convention center for 3 days. and for the rest of us, or at least myself, it'll be a fun moment as all of us nerds, tourist and local alike, invade the landmark. wasn't that our original intent? to have a massive movement of our geeky selves past all those that have not been enlightened?

not to discredit you though, earley, you have good intentions ^^b maybe some people will take you up on the idea for saturday or sunday.

Lyanth on
    [SIGPIC]I'm not backing down[/SIGPIC]
  • LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Earley, if you're looking to go somewhere on Cap Hill on Friday or Saturday around 7am, I will gladly join you. :D

Also, the Market isn't just for tourists. I love the food down there. I don't get to go often since I don't live in Seattle proper, but it's a great place to grab breakfast on the way to a Mariners/Seahawks game.

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • Mustard TigerMustard Tiger Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Sounds cool, I'd be down for that. I kinda prefer the local stuff over the touristy stuff. Is there a place that does all day/night breakfast anywhere?

Mustard Tiger on
    edited June 2008
    Sounds cool, I'd be down for that. I kinda prefer the local stuff over the touristy stuff. Is there a place that does all day/night breakfast anywhere?

Although Minnie's, Randy's, and the Hurricane might qualify, only Beth's deserves endorsement.

ElectricTurtle on
    hnqdemw8w8d6.png
    edited June 2008

Although Minnie's, Randy's, and the Hurricane might qualify, only Beth's deserves endorsement.

Beth's looks awesome, how far is it from PAX?

Mustard Tiger on
    edited June 2008
    ElectricTurtle on
    hnqdemw8w8d6.png
    edited June 2008
    next question and hopefully last, is there a place that serves boozes and breakfast?

Mustard Tiger on
    edited June 2008
    State law governs when alcohol can be sold by bars and restaurants, but within that time period... I think the Hurricane and Minnie's does, but I don't really remember. There's 13 Coins of course, but that's a different league entirely. Beth's doesn't because I believe the Duck Island Pub next to it is owned by the same person.

ElectricTurtle on
    hnqdemw8w8d6.png
  • AstayonixAstayonix Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'd throw my vote behind The Crumpet Shop (although they're small and could get full fast). Good food and I just like saying the word "crumpet" *chortle* :lol:

Astayonix on
    -=Astayonix=-
    http://www.n37radio.com
    Awesome Ideas With No Inititive
    IRC - radeon.slashdot.net #n37 key=topic
  • TransparentTransparent Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    You didn't flip it to public transportation for his lazy ass. Here you go.

Transparent on
    PAXtrain '10, let's do this!
    edited June 2008
    "Public transportation is for jerks and lesbians!" quoth Homer Simpson.

ElectricTurtle on
    hnqdemw8w8d6.png
  • ZenburnZenburn Registered User new member
    edited June 2008
    This is an awesome idea. I like breakfast.

What is a crumpet? I want to eat one.

Zenburn on
  • Grooveman23Grooveman23 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Just a quick suggestion for "local" food: JoeBar. Just a quaint little coffee shop that my sis used to work at. Across the street is the Hexit (Harvard Exit) Theatre, so you could catch a flick if there is one playing.

Otherwise, bring your DS, and we will light up the darkened (meaning really, really boring) paths that others (meaning really, really boring people) have strayed down, and make them stare.

Grooveman23 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    All hail the Hypno-Spode!
    edited June 2008
    Zenburn wrote: »
    What is a crumpet? I want to eat one.

A crumpet is a delicious warm baked breakfast good (not too far off from a scone but softer and rounder) that can be covered in anything to make it more delicious; anything from a serving of your favorite jelly to a nice steaming pile of green eggs and ham.

Liger on
    edited June 2008
    I think there will be tons of tasties at Pike Place and it is way close to the convention center. Isn't the crumpet shop at Pike Place Market?

MR.T on
  • AstayonixAstayonix Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    It sure is! Right smack in the front. My favorite is their Salmon, Cream Cheese, and Tomato. Mmmm! :) Nice and toasty with their delicous Maple Creme!

Astayonix on
    -=Astayonix=-
    http://www.n37radio.com
    Awesome Ideas With No Inititive
    IRC - radeon.slashdot.net #n37 key=topic
    edited June 2008
    Mmmm! I may have to try both of those, you know, to get the full crumpet experience! :P

MR.T on
  • SakebombSakebomb Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I didnt know what a crumpet was.
    Thanks to wikipedia, I am now hungry

Sakebomb on
    edited June 2008
    okay guys, so through a wonderful twist of events, I got to have breakfast at Pike Place today!

I got downtown around 9:30, so a little after when we would be going, but I figure its close enough. I timed the walk from our meeting point to the "entrance" of Pike Place, and it was about 10 minutes each way. Also, it was a bit of a chilly walk, as the wind comes right off of the water and straight up Pike St., so even though it'll be in the heat of summer, I would suggest a light jacket or sweater for the walk. I gave the whole place a once over before settling anywhere to eat. It wasn't really busy, mostly vendors setting up for the day, so it should be easier to manouver around in than during the afternoon [read: in the afternoon, PP is so busy you are squished up against other people moving at a crawl in a direction that is hopefully where you want to go]. All of the produce vendors were up and ready to go, so I grabed a fresh plum ($0.70) and went up to The Crumpet shop. Considering how much hype that place was getting, I figured I should check it out in person. They had a sign on the door that said that outside fruit was welcome, and I would reccomend that everyone whose going to each there grab a peach or something, because it made it all that much better. Anyways, I got a chai and a crumpet with ham and an egg ($6 and change), which was VERY delicious, but only after I had my breakfast did I notice that they have green eggs and ham. I know that's what I'm trying next time I go. Anyways, it was a really nice shop, though small, so I don't think they'd appreciated any more than a half a dozen of us at a time. There was a totally of three people working the shop (that I saw), so I don't think it'd be very kind for 20 ravenous nerds to decend on them all at once. Therefore, I checked out there other breakfast-y shops around there. The two Russian places looked good (think soup and Russian style humbao), the Chinese place I know is good (mainly humbao), the New England place looked okay, but had a few cool sounding dungenous crab breakfast items, the doughnut guys were already had stacks of deep-fried deliciousness, and the smoothy place was deffinently the place to be for, um, smoothy-lovers? Anyways, most of the places looked good'n'clean, so wherever we all end up, it should be a good start to the beginning of PAX!

next time i'll take notes and a camera. anyways, if i remember anything else, i'll post again or something.

Lyanth on
    edited June 2008
    Try to find the place with all you can eat Belgian waffles. I ate there last year, and it was good and sizable enough to handle a pretty good number of people. Unfortunately, I don't know anything else about it, so if you're heading down there anyway, give it a look.

Nice review, btw.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited June 2008
    You might think that they can't handle the rush, but you'd better believe those 3 people at the Crumpet shop are fairly speedy!

I've been there in the morning during Happy Hour (7-8:30, any latte $2!) and they get a fairly decent morning rush. Just be careful not to crowd the counter/cashier area. The crumpeteers have plenty of space behind the counter, but customers get edgy when their personal bubble is in jeopardy.

Last time I went there I tried the Green Eggs and Ham. SO AWESOME. They make the eggs green by adding pesto before they're cooked. Not only does it look crazy, it tastes fantastic.

Liger on
    edited June 2008
    Wow Lyanth, thanks for the test run! I'm more excited than ever for breakfast now! Man, everything sounds so good, I might just have to try a bit of everything! I wonder if I could gorge myself at Pike Place and fast for the rest of PAX. Hmmmmm. ;-)

MR.T on
  • redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    MR.T wrote: »
    Wow Lyanth, thanks for the test run! I'm more excited than ever for breakfast now! Man, everything sounds so good, I might just have to try a bit of everything! I wonder if I could gorge myself at Pike Place and fast for the rest of PAX. Hmmmmm. ;-)

If one could deprive themselves of sleep one could deprive themselves of food. And the Seattle will be in the worldly news for some cat dying while playing video games just like Korea.

redhalo on
    edited June 2008
    haha wow, looking at that post again, its a complete wall of text. sorry about that guys ^^;

however, i would be very happy to die via too much gaming and not enough sleep/food. but that crumpet was very very good.

Lyanth on
  • TransparentTransparent Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I read that post easily enough the first time, but now that you point it out yeah it could use some paragraphs.

Transparent on
    PAXtrain '10, let's do this!
  • Grooveman23Grooveman23 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Thanks for the review Lyanth. I haven't been down there recently (although the last time I was there i had some Humbao, and it was Amazing).

Grooveman23 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    All hail the Hypno-Spode!
    edited June 2008
    redhalo wrote: »
    If one could deprive themselves of sleep one could deprive themselves of food. And the Seattle will be in the worldly news for some cat dying while playing video games just like Korea.

Death by gaming. Hmmm. Overall not a bad way to go. I think I'll wait a few years first, though. ;-)

MR.T on
  • capnjackcapnjack Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    Try to find the place with all you can eat Belgian waffles. I ate there last year, and it was good and sizable enough to handle a pretty good number of people.

Waffles are excellent. I must know the name of this establishment.

capnjack on
    Q: "You are in the garden. You see a rose bush. You have a fishing rod. Exits are North, South and IN."
    A: "What do you want from me?!?!?"
    edited June 2008
    Voila! Pike Place Bar & Grill has an all you can eat Belgian Waffle bar. Plain, pecan, or with strawberries, raspberries or blueberries I'm sure they have something you might like! :P I think this might be the place some of you have been looking for!

(They also serve drinks early for lushes like Moe!) ;-)

MR.T on
  • capnjackcapnjack Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    MR.T wrote: »
    Voila! Pike Place Bar & Grill has an all you can eat Belgian Waffle bar.

(They also serve drinks early for lushes like Moe!) ;-)

Mr. T., just like your cartoon, you always deliver. Thanks!

Here's a little somethin' for ya:

capnjack on
    Q: "You are in the garden. You see a rose bush. You have a fishing rod. Exits are North, South and IN."
    A: "What do you want from me?!?!?"
    edited June 2008
    Sweet cartoon Capnjack! Hmmm. Maybe I should give MY dog a Mr. T mohawk. *considers while dog whimpers*

MR.T on
    edited June 2008
    Hey, who here is doing the button trading thing? I was wondering if I should bring my buttons to the breakfast for trading goodness! :winky:

MR.T on
    edited June 2008
    I'm bringing my buttons everywhere, because you never know.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Same here, I'll be breakfastizing.

redhalo on
  • SnickersSnickers Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Indeed, buttons will be had at all PAX related events me thinks.

Snickers on
    <@frellnik&gt; and suddenly, Snickers
This discussion has been closed.