As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Through the Looking Glass [PHOTO THREAD]

1252627282931»

• VeritasVeritas Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    tofu wrote: »
    Does anyone own a Lowepro bag? I'm thinking about getting a Fastpack but I'm not sure how well it works. I want something that will hold my camera where I can have easy access to it but can also hold stuff for class like a notebook or my laptop.

I have a lowepro, but not that one. All in all, I love my bag and can happily attest to the overall quality. I have the EX160 which holds my camera with 1 lens attached and 1 spare lens plus accoutrements.

I'm using the Lowepro slingshot 200 which can't necessarily hold what your interested in using it for but as far as the brand itself it is certainly top quality in construction and I certainly vouch for them.

Veritas on
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I need to figure out how to take good photos with the P+S I am taking with me on my trip, I'm so used to using this big ol' SLR thingy for the last 2 years. I guess, like they say, the tool isn't what makes for a good photo. I just wish the darn thing could take RAW though.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Allright, so I need a good all around lens with better speed than my 18-55 kit lens, so I'm purchasing the 50mm f/1.8. I thought about the 1.4, but I can't decide if it's worth the extra cash. Any thoughts?

Ooh ooh, or do I drop the change for THIS

Dark_Side on
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Veritas wrote: »
    Does anyone own a Lowepro bag? I'm thinking about getting a Fastpack but I'm not sure how well it works. I want something that will hold my camera where I can have easy access to it but can also hold stuff for class like a notebook or my laptop.

I have a lowepro, but not that one. All in all, I love my bag and can happily attest to the overall quality. I have the EX160 which holds my camera with 1 lens attached and 1 spare lens plus accoutrements.

I'm using the Lowepro slingshot 200 which can't necessarily hold what your interested in using it for but as far as the brand itself it is certainly top quality in construction and I certainly vouch for them.
    I was looking at the Slingshot too and just using a laptop bag to carry school supplies. How comfortable is the one strap?

tofu on
  • anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Allright, so I need a good all around lens with better speed than my 18-55 kit lens, so I'm purchasing the 50mm f/1.8. I thought about the 1.4, but I can't decide if it's worth the extra cash. Any thoughts?

Ooh ooh, or do I drop the change for THIS

The biggest difference between the 1.8 and 1.4 isn't actually the speed, it's the build quality. The 1.8 is a light plastic whereas the 1.4 is fairly heavy duty. For me, the half stop difference doesn't justify an extra $250, but combined with the better build quality, some consider it worth it. It still wasn't enough for me and I'm quite happy with my purchase of the 1.8.

Edit: I just saw you're shooting Nikon so I can't speak to any of those lenses. I thought this was a Canon conversation.

anable on
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Oh yeah, sorry, I'm definitely a Nikon man for the time being.

Dark_Side on
  • VeritasVeritas Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I need to figure out how to take good photos with the P+S I am taking with me on my trip, I'm so used to using this big ol' SLR thingy for the last 2 years. I guess, like they say, the tool isn't what makes for a good photo. I just wish the darn thing could take RAW though.

Well if you happen to be shooting Canon, I know there's a firmware out there that will let you take RAW photos using the canon P&Ss Not SLR quality of course but it certainly helps out a bit.

edit: I'm dumb, very first post
    Grifter wrote: »

I was looking at the Slingshot too and just using a laptop bag to carry school supplies. How comfortable is the one strap?

Its pretty comfortable, its thick and padded, if you have a lot of gear in there it can get heavy after a while but I was able to take it hiking walking around for several hours and all day at disney without issue.

Veritas on
  • GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I would never buy a camera bag. Anything easily identifiable as a camera bag is more of a target for thieves than a anonymous bag.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Gafoto wrote: »
    I would never buy a camera bag. Anything easily identifiable as a camera bag is more of a target for thieves than a anonymous bag.

Yeah I personally just use my Backpack. I'm actually planning on taking an old backpack that's falling apart and sewing padding to the inside for support so I can take it when I'm snowboarding. As well as use for traveling, because I usually take a lot of crap with me when I'm out and about (extra sweatshirts, food/water all that junk) and I'd rather just have one bag and save a lot of money.

Prospicience on
  • Mr. FahrenheitMr. Fahrenheit Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    anable wrote: »

I really like the surreal look that shot has Mr. F. And the red is so damned vibrant it's great!

I'm curious if you could provide some insight on how you accomplished that look. Give us your secrekts.

I usually bring stuff into Lightroom, and push buttons until something starts looking presentable.

2654263764_27e1d02c4e.jpg

I think I just brought up the blacks, moved the curve around, and added more brown/orange.

Then I bring it into PS and do the button thing there

2653444855_c1e6e64e2f.jpg

I don't know why PS uploads to the internet like this, the colors of the file on my computer are true to that one I posted. So I uninstall PS and use GIMP to blur the reflections and save/upload.

*Edit* God dammit, I'll never be able to use the quote thing properly.

Mr. Fahrenheit on
    edited July 2008
    Gafoto wrote: »
    That was one of the cool things about the Fastpack, it looks like a regular backpack.

tofu on
    edited July 2008
    yeah there's a lot of bags now that you wouldn't be able to tell, especially first glance that they are camera bags.

Prospicience on
  • SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    My camera bag looks like an enormous hiking backpack

Sheri on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Whoo, experimental firmware for my camera. The RAW is tempting, but I think I'll wait until it's a stable release.

MKR on
  • VirumVirum Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Ok guys so I am thinking the Nikon D300 is going to be my next camera. I am concerned it is more camera than I need, but the D80 is outdated and they didn't announce a successor. Also, I feel the D300 will let me grow into it a bit more since I want to work on becoming professional level.

Thoughts?

Since my glass broke as well, I was thinking about moving to Canon, but I really like how Nikon sits in my hands. Also the 85 1.4D

Virum on
  • saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    But Canon has the 85 1.2

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
  • MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
    MKR wrote: »
    Whoo, experimental firmware for my camera. The RAW is tempting, but I think I'll wait until it's a stable release.

It's not risky whatsoever. It loads the firmware from the SD card, so if something goes wrong for whatever reason, you can just swap cards or delete the file. The original firmware stays intact and unmodified on the camera, so you're not really changing anything, just giving it some alternate options to load in.

And it works great.

Monoxide on
    edited July 2008
    Virum wrote: »
    Ok guys so I am thinking the Nikon D300 is going to be my next camera. I am concerned it is more camera than I need, but the D80 is outdated and they didn't announce a successor. Also, I feel the D300 will let me grow into it a bit more since I want to work on becoming professional level.

Thoughts?

Since my glass broke as well, I was thinking about moving to Canon, but I really like how Nikon sits in my hands. Also the 85 1.4D
    Is there something wrong with your D80?

tofu on
  • Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Thoughts?

I doubt you'll have any troubles moving from the D80 to the D300, and, you might be able to pick one up on the cheap used what with the D700 coming out.

The D300 will get out of your way a lot more than the D80 will, and the thing practically sees in the dark with its fantastic high ISO performance.

Canon's got some good stuff out there too. At the price range of the D300, you're not all that far from picking up a 5D for too much more, which is certainly something to consider.

Of course, there's going to be a lot to consider, especially relating to your shooting style, and the subjects that you focus on. I wouldn't want to use a 5D if I had a D300 handy at a sporting event, due to speed. I wouldn't want to use a D300 for an epic landscape if I had a 5D handy, due to quality and size of the 5D's sensor.

There's nothing inherently wrong with the D80, though. If you feel you want to move up, I doubt you'll have any trouble with a beefier rig, and, oftentimes, you'll be able to shoot a little bit closer to what you've got planned in your mind.

Uncle Long on
  • VirumVirum Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Thoughts?

Is there something wrong with your D80?

I don't have a D80. My D70s internal flash is broken for sure - and I'm unsure if the mount plane is correct from the fall impact; I haven't tested it. I'm kind of ready for an upgrade anyway, though. I don't think the D80 is a worthy upgrade for me - maybe if Nikon updated it when the D300 came out.

Uncle Long: I was considering the 5D, but I feel it's too old to upgrade too. I like the high iso performance of the Nikon, it'd be great for concerts. Gah. Decisions.

Anyways, I am most interested in fashion/glamour/portrait photography.

Virum on
    edited July 2008
    Aw that's too bad. When I was on vacation one of my dogs knocked my D70s off my bed and broke the shutter. Luckily there was an authorized Nikon dealer/repair shop in the city so I was able to get it fixed.

Cost me a pretty penny though.

Also do not put valuable, fragile equipment on beds.

tofu on
    edited July 2008
    Aw that's too bad. When I was on vacation one of my dogs knocked my D70s off my bed and broke the shutter. Luckily there was an authorized Nikon dealer/repair shop in the city so I was able to get it fixed.

Or on back seats of cars! Sorry to hear that Tofu, luckily I don't have any expensive lenses right now but I'd probably still get upset if that happened to me.

4th of July pics, stayed late last night and put them on my work computer.
    redcoat.jpg
    The RED COATS ARE COMING!

faceworks.jpg

Prospicience on
  • GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited July 2008
    At this point, CHDK is only loaded manually when you select Firm Update as you did above. When you shut the camera off, it'll be gone (although your configuration options are stored in a config file on your card).

This would mean that you just have to delete it from the memory card and you don't have to worry about it anymore.

Grifter on
    edited July 2008

Or on back seats of cars! Sorry to hear that Tofu, luckily I don't have any expensive lenses right now but I'd probably still get upset if that happened to me.
    Ironically the lens on the camera was fine, the body must have taken all of the impact force.

I like the fireworks picture.

tofu on
  • SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    faceworks.jpg

This is BITCHIN'

Is it just fireworks or. . . explain!

Sheri on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    At this point, CHDK is only loaded manually when you select Firm Update as you did above. When you shut the camera off, it'll be gone (although your configuration options are stored in a config file on your card).

This would mean that you just have to delete it from the memory card and you don't have to worry about it anymore.

Hmm. I'll give it a shot once I get settled into this quarter. The school switched to a new course management system and still doesn't have our accounts set up. D:

MKR on
    edited July 2008
    That's a great second picture, Prosp. A neat take on a common subject. All of my fireworks pictures came out like crap. Then again I was drunk that night so....

anable on
    edited July 2008
    Sheri wrote: »
    [yar]

This is BITCHIN'

Is it just fireworks or. . . explain!

Thanks yall!

Yeah just fireworks, I think it was a little over a 1 second exposure, I shimmied my camera around a little bit while the shutter was open but kept it pointed at the fireworks. I took a bunch in the same way, but that was my favorite. I'll probably put some more up on flickr later.

Prospicience on
    edited July 2008
    Just going through some older zoo pictures:

2656313882_8d69e69000.jpg

Pouting:
    2655486093_e0a0360f89.jpg

anable on
    edited July 2008
    d'awwwwww Merecat is cute. I really like the colors in the giraffe pic too, the dome building the background adds some great color.

Prospicience on
    edited July 2008
    Since tofu was last on page 49 he gets to make the new photo thread.

Grifter on
    edited July 2008

Didn't anable have some sort of original photothread zomg information post all done up for this time?

Prospicience on
    edited July 2008

Didn't anable have some sort of original photothread zomg information post all done up for this time?

Indeed!

anable on
    edited July 2008

Indeed!

Did you talk to a mod about that at any point to let them know what you're doing?

Grifter on
    edited July 2008

Indeed!

Did you talk to a mod about that at any point to let them know what you're doing?

I posted it in the thread like three times and never got any feedback. I wasn't aware it was such an official process.

anable on
    edited July 2008

Indeed!

I posted it in the thread like three times and never got any feedback. I wasn't aware it was such an official process.

So, what you're telling me is that you didn't bother to PM a moderator. It's not exactly an official process and it's not really a big deal but if you want to do something like that and you don't want a moderator handing over a new community thread to somebody else because he doesn't know about it then you might want to send one little PM to an art mod. Any art mod. We don't read every single post. At least, I don't and I'm pretty sure the rest of the guys don't.

In any case, if you post something and don't get any feedback you might want to take the next step and send a PM.

Grifter on
  • bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited July 2008
    I read every single post, what are you talking about.

bombardier on
    edited July 2008
    bombardier wrote: »
    I read every single post, what are you talking about.

I'm basically saying that I'm a lazy bastard.

Grifter on
This discussion has been closed.