As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

CF Phalla Signup List

• Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    lol =) You'll see, you'll see.

The hardest part is actually going to be figuring out which angle to approach it at. There's so many. The Care Bears have a surprisingly rich and deep history for a corporate-created trademark that was spawned for the sole purpose of selling merchandise and greeting cards.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    FreeAgentFreeAgent Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I really liked the early days of My Little Pony Phalla. The narrations were hilariously gruesome.

If there aren't Care Bears getting disintegrated by Grumpy Bear's Rain of Sulfuric Acid attack, or the like, I'll be sorely disappointed.

FreeAgent on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    We'll see, I still need to figure out which "hook" I can use here... it can go a lot of ways. Perhaps even as a Faction phalla, but I don't like those as much as normal Phallas.

VThornheart on
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    We'll see, I still need to figure out which "hook" I can use here... it can go a lot of ways. Perhaps even as a Faction phalla, but I don't like those as much as normal Phallas.

Wait, are you going to run a mini or are you signing up for a main game?

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I don't know... originally I was figuring I'd do a mini...

... but I just finished coming up with roles, and I've managed to make a unique role and description for 60 people.

Oh, this is going to be so much fun! I'll have to parse it down to make a mini =) I have the main gameplay concept figured out now, and all of the potential roles. Yay! =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Care Bears would be so awesome. Hilariously gruesome is always good.

crimsoncoyote on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Yay! =)

Hopefully the mechanic will be hilarious and appropriately gruesome, though at first it might not appear to be. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    cb_revolution.png

VThornheart on
  • Options
    kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Oh... My.... GOD

I love you.

kuhlmeye on
    PSN: the-K-flash
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    It looks so natural.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I would like to co-host with someone. For the experience gain. If anyone needs a co-host. Or something. sometime.

count me in

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Speaking of co-hosting... I've never hosted a game before.

Do you have experience, or are you looking for someone experienced to work with DUE? Because if you've done it before, I could use your help... if for nothing else than to look over the roles, help with balancing etc... I've got a shit ton of roles made, and I need to parse out which ones are good and which ones can be tossed, as well as make sure it won't be a rout on one side or another.

VThornheart on
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Care Bears + excessive violence = win. I can't wait.

TehSloth on
    FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    The violence is going to seem to be a bit more subtle than the title image shows, just to forewarn. It'll come out, but it's kind of bubbling under the surface in the land of Care-a-Lot. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I guess I can accept deviousness in place of blatant destruction... this time.

TehSloth on
    FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Oh, there will be blatent destruction. But like a good pie, you'll have to wait for it to... bake... a bit. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    warbanwarban Who the Hoof do you think we are? Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    If you want some Advice for making phalla VThornheart i recommend the following...
    Work out the following:

How many days you think it will last?
    ((Day vote + Numbers of Vigs / Number of players = Days it will last.))

How many actions you expect to get each day with everyone using their actions?
    60+ actions a day means a lot of actions you have to deal with. Setting up a good spreadsheet
    can help a lot with dealing with high action games. Understand what your about to go into when you
    have a game with a lot of players and even more Pm's and questions.

Mechanic questions about powers you might want to think about...

What will be the order of your actions?
    The order of your happenings can change the outcome depending on if you are putting in action blocks
    or not, For example.

Does death action block as well?
    Or does everyone get their action off before the actions come into effect?

How will your action block work if you have one?
    If a action block is killed by a vig, Does their action block on another target still go off?

Does the vote trickle down, Does Scum kills happen before the vote comes into effect?
    Can the bad guys attack the person with the highest vote, killing the person with second highest
    instead?

If someone is an action seer, Do they see anything if that person was action blocked?
    Little things like this can make all the difference to making a mistake when working out what happened
    for that night.

Watch your death count. Do you need those vigs alive to keep your game below 10 days?
    How many people do you have, Do you have a game backup plan in a game with 2 scum kills and all the
    vigs dead on day 3? Try and keep the kill count between 3 and 5 on average.

Do you have too many seers?
    How many days would it take for the village to seer everyone if none of the seers die? How long have
    you given the scum factions to find and kill the seer?

If a power is too strong think about spiting that power into an even and odd day versions of that power instead.
    This creates more roles with less power.

Having even and odd day power users can help lower the pms you get, It can also

Conversion and Reserection can be game breaking.
    You really want to work how you want to use them before you put them in.

Pregame setup.

Setup a Google spreadsheet with all your shit for mechanics down with good formatting so you can tell
    whats going on each day. This will allow both hosts to work together on the same spreadsheet. Do this
    well and you can and minimize your down time after vote close as well.

Create a pro board for Hosts with roles (and narration if you are so inclined.) If you write up all your
    roles in a pro board before you start sign ups you can lower your down time as well.

warban on
    ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Interesting, thanks Warban! There's a lot of stuff in there I hadn't thought about yet... I'm going to go through that like a checklist before I do anything else, and make sure I account for everything you mentioned first.

And I think I'll make a little MS Access database that I can use to log actions and tally votes easily... shouldn't take too long, and the payoff should be significant.

Given the above, I think I'll set my target date for the Care Bears mini to sometime next week, as long as the slots aren't all full next week. (And I plan to parse down the 60 roles to ~25 for the mini. There's usually 3-4 bad guys in a 25 person mini, right?)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    If you feel sadistic you can bump that number to 5.

Also, an extremely important thought you might run into in your first phalla: Be prepared for anything, and do not expect the players to play how you want them to play. Phallas have been ruined because the players just went off the rails (Personal experience, the village spent all the first day trying to get around the seerless no reveal rule in my last mini :P )

Dac Vin on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    What if there were two mafias that were opposed to each other? Just brainstorming ideas. Could I bump it up to perhaps two teams of three or even two teams of four if they were not allies with each other? So like 17 villagers, 4 bad guy A, 4 bad guy B?

Ahh, and duly noted as well Dac Vin about the mechanics expectations. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    When you have multiple mafia factions, it favours the village due to bad guy crossfire, all other things being equal.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Ah, so it would be okay to have more like that in such a situation then? Just keeping my options open ;)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Exactly, you would have a slightly higher % of bad guys overall in the village, or they would have some other degree of power to compensate.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Cool! =) Yay, this is going to be fun =)=)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Ok, so I'm sitting here plotting, and I wonder: Are there ever games where any sort of game discussion is not allowed outside the thread? I.E. all alliances, etc. must take place in thread. Is this simply not done? Is it because it isn't fun? Because people just cheat and do it anyway?

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    weatheredclownweatheredclown Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    taking advantage of the free-for-all policy of the current main phalla...
    Elemenstor Saga mini-phalla up...
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?p=8072678#post8072678

(still one mini-slot free for carebears, right?)

weatheredclown on
    "Remember, there are no stupid questions. Just stupid people with inquisitive minds."
  • Options
    The_ReflectionThe_Reflection Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I have a question about a mini im planing out but i cant ask it in here because it could give stuff away. Could someone experienced msg me so I may ask some questions or possibly they could help me co-host?

The_Reflection on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Ok, so I'm sitting here plotting, and I wonder: Are there ever games where any sort of game discussion is not allowed outside the thread? I.E. all alliances, etc. must take place in thread. Is this simply not done? Is it because it isn't fun? Because people just cheat and do it anyway?

if you check out mafiascum.net there's lots of games where you can't discuss outside of the game.. so there's no "network" other than ones that can be established through in-game debate...

could be that this doesn't work as well here because game days are limited to a single real day where as on mafiascum a day can last weeks...

It is possible though.

weatheredclown on
    "Remember, there are no stupid questions. Just stupid people with inquisitive minds."
  • Options
    duraxdurax Who watches the watchdogs? Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Thorgot ran a No-PM game where only the mafia could organize behind the scenes.

durax on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Games like that basically rely on code of honor involvement, which most of the playerbase seem to be trustworthy enough to work with.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    While we're having some phalla chat about minis:
    Welcome to the most beautiful damned world, where badassery lies hidden in the prose like predators.
    (Also where dying of syphilis meant you lived your life to the fullest, but we should not talk about that.)

469px-Charles_Baudelaire2.jpg

The Damned World of the French Literature.

Come this winter, and Dac Vin will show you the way.
    This winter, because I'm busy with college.

Dac Vin on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    lol Dac, that sounds like it'll be interesting =)

By the way, I hear the people sing, singing the song of angry men. Be sure to take note of that when you give me a role in your game. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Speaking of co-hosting... I've never hosted a game before.

Do you have experience, or are you looking for someone experienced to work with DUE? Because if you've done it before, I could use your help... if for nothing else than to look over the roles, help with balancing etc... I've got a shit ton of roles made, and I need to parse out which ones are good and which ones can be tossed, as well as make sure it won't be a rout on one side or another.

I think I just need extra experience. I ran a brief disaster over in D&D and put together a relatively fun and successful Dexter mini here. I just made a lot of mistakes going from a mini to a full game. But, I did learn from them.

So I wouldn't mind hoping on board to help you out.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Cool! Sounds good to me. =) As long as you're sure you don't want to play in it, of course =)

I just finished up my second draft of what I feel the roles should be, and ran through some of the balancing checks Warban suggested... it feels a little better tuned now, but I could definitely use an experienced eye to look at it (but whoever does, it of course has to be someone who's not going to be playing it =) )

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    anybody else up the the elemenstor saga phalla?
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?p=8086517#post8086517
    starting soon, still have slots open..

weatheredclown on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I'm tempted, but I'm already in two and will hopefully be hosting one soon. =( Sorry wc =(

VThornheart on
  • Options
    M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I think 3 minis and a main is a bit much in my opinion. Mainly because what looks like sign ups are getting harder to fill because you have people in the main or multiple minis or main and minis.

M.D. on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Aye, I'm going to wait on hosting until a couple of these clear out first. Probably the start of next week, or mid next week.

VThornheart on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I think 3 minis and a main is a bit much in my opinion. Mainly because what looks like sign ups are getting harder to fill because you have people in the main or multiple minis or main and minis.
    I'd guess time of year has far more to do with it than the number running.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    That is a good point, I have seen a bunch of newer players in the games now too.

what the hell, mannypooh? Really? My real name is Manny and my forum name is pooh D:

M.D. on
This discussion has been closed.