Options

So... gametrailers controversy?

• Options
    Random IntegerRandom Integer Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yeah but would a Star Destroyer equipped with a PS3 beat the Starship Enterprise equipped with a 360? This is the real fucking question people.

Random Integer on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yeah but would a Star Destroyer equipped with a PS3 beat the Starship Enterprise equipped with a 360? This is the real fucking question people.

Only thing 360 could power on the Enterprise is the self destruct sequence OLOLOLOL!!!1

subedii on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

They would both lose to the Wiistar.

Couscous on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008

Well, we already know that the Empire's starships have been taken out by Wii equipped single pilot ship to ship fighters.

SO......

Sheep on
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Sleep wrote: »
    According to the video they've done stuff like this before?

They've been accused of not setting the PS3 up properly. I don't remember the specifics, but it basically amounted to them not fine tuning the PS3 for the comparison vids. Their typical response has been that both games are tested straight out of the box, factory settings.

I've normally pretty much let it sit at that and thought that most of the hub bub was fanboy pissing.

This? This is the most "provable" screw up they've done. The rest has been speculation.

That's what I've heard as well. Not owning a PS3 or 360 means I really don't care either way - but I know that there are a few settings that most PS3 owners consider pretty vital to set when hooking up the system that Gametrailers apparently doesn't do and it makes the image noticeably worse. I can understand wanting to make it even by not spending time optimizing both consoles, but sometimes the defaults simply aren't sufficient.

But yes, this does seem to have a hint of foul play involved - even if they used the right footage it sounds like they were bent on making the PS3 version the weaker by showing limited crashes and action.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    VrayVray Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    LewieP wrote: »
    What motive would they have to do this intentionally?

Unless the supposed theory is that they are "360 fanboys" (sigh) or that they are being paid by MS, it would make zero sense to assume this was malicious.

*Pops on his tinfoil hat*

Gametrailers is owned by MTV which is owned by Viacom which is partnered with Microsoft.

Also, the Illuminati watch you via micro cameras installed in every doorknob made since 1958.

Vray on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    fanboyism seems to be getting worse and worse.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Taramoor wrote: »

Genesis will sexually molest me like Michael Jackson?

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Herby wrote: »

They've been accused of not setting the PS3 up properly. I don't remember the specifics, but it basically amounted to them not fine tuning the PS3 for the comparison vids. Their typical response has been that both games are tested straight out of the box, factory settings.

I've normally pretty much let it sit at that and thought that most of the hub bub was fanboy pissing.

This? This is the most "provable" screw up they've done. The rest has been speculation.

That's what I've heard as well. Not owning a PS3 or 360 means I really don't care either way - but I know that there are a few settings that most PS3 owners consider pretty vital to set when hooking up the system that Gametrailers apparently doesn't do and it makes the image noticeably worse. I can understand wanting to make it even by not spending time optimizing both consoles, but sometimes the defaults simply aren't sufficient.

But yes, this does seem to have a hint of foul play involved - even if they used the right footage it sounds like they were bent on making the PS3 version the weaker by showing limited crashes and action.

Eh. I really don't know if I can agree with that though.

Out of the Box should be the standard. If you can nit pick down to the nitty gritty, when will it stop?

"It's not fair for the PS3 if the room is above 72 degrees, the 360 is under direct light and the PS3 next to a lamp" etc etc etc.

Seems stupid, but you know someone would draw a complaint like that.

Sheep on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    titmouse wrote: »

No, but this man will kill you:

Taramoor on
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Actually, that looks like an A to me.
    But...ummm...I don't really care either way. I don't use them as a source of anything.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Official explanation:

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/05/12/joystiq-interview-gametrailers-editor-in-chief-sets-record-stra/

How did this mistake happen?

It was a mistake in our post-production process. After we captured the footage from both versions, some of the footage of the PlayStation 3 version of the game was incorrectly placed in the bin for the Xbox 360 footage. Our video editor on this particular project is not a games person and completely overlooked the fact that he had the wrong footage in the wrong place. We normally have multiple checks from games editorial on every segment that is published, but there was some confusion on who did/did not look at it before it was sent out for compression. Thus, the mistake.

Was the audio narrative written before, after or during the video editing process? Was it based on the video published or an actual comparison of PS3 and Xbox 360?

There is no audio narrative in the video we produced. People went in and inserted their own audio narrative and then tried to pass those videos off as media we produced to suit their own agenda. We have never had any sort of audio or text commentary in any of our comparison videos.

Why were comments disabled, forums posts deleted, etc?

Honestly, I don't know anything about this happening. The video was removed immediately once the mistake was noticed, so there wasn't an opportunity for us to even close the comments on it because it was no longer live on the site. If forum posts were deleted it was likely because there were so many threads about it that the moderators decided to cull them down to one thread, but I do not know this for a certainty. We do not close threads on GameTrailers because of criticism. If you take a look in our forums there are plenty of examples of users giving us criticism--constructive or otherwise. Feedback is essential to improving a product.

By merit of being the only player in the comparison, doesn't the PlayStation also win?

Haha! Well, there is footage from the 360 version in the comparison, but admittedly there's no way to make an educated decision due to our mistake. We're working on an updated version of the video that will lead with an apology for the gaffe.

Why do you hate the PlayStation SO MUCH? How much does Microsoft give you?

Ha! We haven't had any advertising from Microsoft on GameTrailers.com for over two years. In all honesty, we made a mistake and we're terrible sorry for it. We're also putting measures in place to ensure it never happens again. It's surprising how paranoid people are and how desperate they can be to try and manipulate the masses into believing that there's some kind of malicious activity going on that will slight their favorite console.

It blows my mind and saddens me that people took the time to go in and doctor our original piece of media to make us look worse. I'm also disappointed that so many publications ran their stories without contacting us for the real story and instead took the word of random Internet folks who were totally manipulating the situation.

Of course, the moral of the story is that if we had not made a mistake this wouldn't be happening, but at the same time I'm shocked that such an innocent mistake has been portrayed as intentional and malicious. We work hard to make sure there's quality content for everyone on the site, and when stuff like this happens you feel a litle betrayed by the people you're working so hard for. Wouldn't it be nice if we lived in a world where people just enjoyed video games regardless of what platform they're released for?

Sheep on
  • Options
    HakuninHakunin Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    why don't they just stop doing these comparison videos? they're so fucking stupid and pointless

and don't come boohooing about backlash when you fuck it up, GT

you stepped into that minefield when you started making these things, you have no right to complain when you blow up

Hakunin on
  • Options
    VrayVray Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm guessing that they probably get a lot of hits on those videos.

People need to justify their loyalty to a brand by pointing out even the most minuscule advantage.

Vray on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Hakunin wrote: »
    why don't they just stop doing these comparison videos? they're so fucking stupid and pointless

I've always found them useful for showing that there aren't usually any differences between two console versions. Besides which, they often do the comparisons for other things, like the graphical changes over the course of the Halo series.

I like them.
    and don't come boohooing about backlash when you fuck it up, GT

you stepped into that minefield when you started making these things, you have no right to complain when you blow up
    ... What?

Seriously, who's boohooing here other than the fanboys? They made a mistake, and they apologised. They're also upset that well known games sites ran doctored versions of the film without even checking the background first, which is understandable.

Also, stepped in a minefield? Yes I can clearly see that making a graphical comparison video is such dangerous business.

The only ones blowing this thing all out of proportion are the fanboy tards.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Eh. I really don't know if I can agree with that though.

Out of the Box should be the standard. If you can nit pick down to the nitty gritty, when will it stop?

"It's not fair for the PS3 if the room is above 72 degrees, the 360 is under direct light and the PS3 next to a lamp" etc etc etc.

Seems stupid, but you know someone would draw a complaint like that.

My Wii wasn't configured for widescreen or 480p right out of the box, but I think Gametrailers should be using those options turned on for the Wii videos. If just about every high def gamer seems to be flipping an option for best picture - I think Gametrailers should turn it on too. But frankly as a Wii-only gamer I don't know how obvious the feature(s) are that GT has been accused of ignoring.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    This is the best three pages of total non-issue I've ever seen.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    apotheos wrote: »

But they said mean things about the PS3...

LewieP on
  • Options
    HakuninHakunin Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    subedii wrote:
    Seriously, who's boohooing here other than the fanboys? They made a mistake, and they apologised. They're also upset that well known games sites ran doctored versions of the film without even checking the background first, which is understandable.
    I'm shocked that such an innocent mistake has been portrayed as intentional and malicious.
    you're pandering to fanboys. what did you expect?
    We work hard to make sure there's quality content for everyone on the site...
    not hard enough, apparently
    and when stuff like this happens you feel a litle betrayed by the people you're working so hard for.
    oh god, give that man a handkerchief already

those comparison videos of multiplat games are no than fanboy rage fodder. if you get more out of them than that, congratulations you're a minority
    Also, stepped in a minefield? Yes I can clearly see that making a graphical comparison video is such dangerous business.
    have you ever heard of metaphors? yeah, that was one of those

Hakunin on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Hakunin wrote: »
    subedii wrote:
    I'm shocked that such an innocent mistake has been portrayed as intentional and malicious.
    you're pandering to fanboys. what did you expect?
    We work hard to make sure there's quality content for everyone on the site...
    not hard enough, apparently
    and when stuff like this happens you feel a litle betrayed by the people you're working so hard for.
    oh god, give that man a handkerchief already

those comparison videos of multiplat games are no than fanboy rage fodder. if you get more out of them than that, congratulations you're a minority
    have you ever heard of metaphors? yeah, that was one of those

I have indeed heard of metaphors. Perhaps you've heard of the metaphor "mountain out of a molehill"? Yeah, this scenario is one of those.

I can understand the stance that GT has taken, and mistakes sometimes happen. What else is there to this?

subedii on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I doubt this would have been an issue if it weren't for the fact that Sony fans already think that by not properly configuring the PS3 that Gametrailers is basically fixing the 360vsPS3 features it does. Personally, I could care less, but I have to admit this video is pretty telling...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HvdRfUmoqQ

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Right, Herby, that's exactly what the outcry is: They don't change the settings on the PS3 nor do they change the settings from the 360. It's supposedly out of box. How many people know how to change those settings on the PS3?

I mean, fuck, a friend of mine, who would be considered computer literate, didn't even know that you can up the resolution for the 360. He was sitting at 640x480 on a 55" plasma screen until I asked him wtf was up with the picture.

urahonky on
  • Options
    badpoetbadpoet Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I really don't understand the statement "It blows my mind and saddens me that people took the time to go in and doctor our original piece of media to make us look worse. I'm also disappointed that so many publications ran their stories without contacting us for the real story and instead took the word of random Internet folks who were totally manipulating the situation". Seriously, how could anyone make Gametrailers look worse?

badpoet on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    I mean, fuck, a friend of mine, who would be considered computer literate, didn't even know that you can up the resolution for the 360. He was sitting at 640x480 on a 55" plasma screen until I asked him wtf was up with the picture.

I had a friend doing this. Using the composite cables and hooking his 360 up to the front panel of his 40 inch HD plasma screen. He's all "zomg the graphics on Gears is awesome!" and I'm like, "Wow! This game would look the way it's supposed to if you had hooked it up right, genius!" I fixed it for him, and his DVD player while I was at it, and he thanked me eternally.

slash000 on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008

No, but this man will kill you:
    The greatest video game advertising of all time

:^: I always loved the Segata Sanshiro commercials. I'd never seen the full version of the music video there, and it is full of awesome.

And win.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    holy shit this topic exploded.

Maybe I shouldn't have said controversy. I didn't mean to imply that Game Trailers was actively trying to piss in Sony's cheerios (I thought I made that clear when I called it a "bullshit conspiracy theory"), but rather that this was another drop in the bucket of gametrailers fuck ups.

People call IGN out when they fuck up, so we should call gametrailers out too.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    slash000 wrote: »

I had a friend doing this. Using the composite cables and hooking his 360 up to the front panel of his 40 inch HD plasma screen. He's all "zomg the graphics on Gears is awesome!" and I'm like, "Wow! This game would look the way it's supposed to if you had hooked it up right, genius!" I fixed it for him, and his DVD player while I was at it, and he thanked me eternally.

That was some powerful placebo effect he had there, 480i content usually looks really bad on a HD set.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    RoxtarRoxtar Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I doubt this would have been an issue if it weren't for the fact that Sony fans already think that by not properly configuring the PS3 that Gametrailers is basically fixing the 360vsPS3 features it does. Personally, I could care less, but I have to admit this video is pretty telling...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HvdRfUmoqQ

Stupid Sony for having options... WHAT ARE WE SUPPOSED TO DO WITH OPTIONS!!! Not use them of course, Psh.

Roxtar on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    If it looks better with certain options turned on, why didn't Sony turn them on by default?

Couscous on
  • Options
    ElementalorElementalor Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Fireflash wrote: »
    slash000 wrote: »

That was some powerful placebo effect he had there, 480i content usually looks really bad on a HD set.

Gears does look pretty amazing at standard def, y'know for standard def.

But yeah I think it's a little less forgivable with a 360, but it's not really about computer literacy, imo. A/V stuff is pretty different, I suppose it can be said that your friends just didn't make the 'nerd cut' that we do.

Edit: also, seriously, that RGB thing should be on by default.
    In any case the 360 is a little more tolerable to go through each option for its settings. The PS3 has a laundry list of settings to tinker with, most with their own sub menus which can be pretty intimidating.

Elementalor on
    Marvel Future Fight: dElementalor
    FFBE: 898,311,440
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/dElementalor
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    If it looks better with certain options turned on, why didn't Sony turn them on by default?

Why doesn't microsoft make windows automatically set it's resolution when you install it to the monitors maximum capacity?

Answer: different monitors have to be accounted for, so you default to the lowest denominator.

Tv's aren't simple anymore, plus there's people who set them up on HDCP monitors, like me, so they inheret all the problems of computer monitors too.

It makes perfect sense to me. At least it guaranteed works then. If you want pretty you turn it up.

I'm never in favour of defaulting to max on anything. If people are too stupid to learn how to turn it up, so be it.

Note this counts for me too, in case anyone wants to try to use it against me in some way: I didn't even know about the rgb and hdmi white. I turned em on just now and that's what I deserve for not bothering to look into how my console works too hard.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Makes sense. Why does it require two button presses to turn the console completely off?

Couscous on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    It was a dumb mistake, not some elaborate conspiracy. No harm done to the smart people.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Makes sense. Why does it require two button presses to turn the console completely off?

Are you talking about the 360 or the PS3 here?

EDIT: Because they both require 2 button presses to turn the console off.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

It doesn't. It takes 3.

Dpad left cos it defaults to no ohohohoho I'm a smartass I am

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Are we counting that 60 page thread for the 6 month old Nintendo press conference?

That was pretty fantastic.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Kelor wrote: »

Are we counting that 60 page thread for the 6 month old Nintendo press conference?

That was pretty fantastic.

GWN'd.

Takes a bow.

Couscous on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    ahaha, that'll always make me laugh.

LewieP on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited May 2008