Options

So... gametrailers controversy?

13»

• Options
    squirlysquirly Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Why doesn't microsoft make windows automatically set it's resolution when you install it to the monitors maximum capacity?

Answer: different monitors have to be accounted for, so you default to the lowest denominator.
    It does, in XP IIRC not so well but in Vista it's a lot better. It also has a countdown saying 'If this isn't okay, press blah blah' in the odd chance it's not okay.

squirly on
    Diablo2 [US West; Ladder]: *DorianGraph [New/Main] *outsidewhale [Old]
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So can we get back to genesis versus snes?

FX CHIP!

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So can we get back to genesis versus snes?

FX CHIP!

Poor SNES users... don't even know the name of their own hardware. SUPER FX chip, kthnx.

And SVP chip holla!

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    Saint JusticeSaint Justice Mercenary Mah-vel Baybee!!!Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Race Driver Grid? The real question is, who gives a shit?

Saint Justice on
    Some people play tennis, I erode the human soul. ~ Tycho
  • Options
    ElementalorElementalor Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    august wrote: »
    SDF better have a field day with this.

What does a Super Dimensional Fortress have to do with anything?

Ok, I'm going to bed.

Elementalor on
    Marvel Future Fight: dElementalor
    FFBE: 898,311,440
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/dElementalor
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    titmouse wrote: »
    If it looks better with certain options turned on, why didn't Sony turn them on by default?

Because there's nothing actually wrong with it. Instead of trying to explain it poorly, I'll just quote a couple of guys from a thread at Neogaf:
    andrewfee wrote:
    Full / Limited RGB should look near-enough identical on the PS3. Just like Standard / Expanded should look near-enough identical on the 360. The important thing is to be capturing the correct levels.

Limited / Standard RGB output using the range of 16-235 for brightness (Video levels) with the display/capture hardware turning anything outside that range pure black/white.
    Full / Expanded RGB outputs 0-255. (PC levels)

If you set up your display / capture hardware so that it is expecting either the 16-235 range or the 0-255 range, depending on which type of signal you are sending, the results should be near-enough the same.

The only time there will be a difference is if you set things up wrongly. If you send 0-255 to a device expecting Video Levels then it becomes overly contrasted with shadow detail turning jet black and highlights turning pure white/oversaturated. If you enable Full / Expanded RGB on your display and the image suddenly gets a lot more contrasted, changes are that it is set up wrongly or your display does not support it.

If you send 16-235 to a device expecting PC levels then the image looks washed out.

In their recent Iron Man comparison, GameTrailers managed to screw up both the PS3 and 360 captures.

With the PS3 they sent 0-255 with the capture hardware set up for 16-235.
    With the 360 they sent 16-235 with the capture hardware set up for 0-255.

With the 360 side corrected to match up to the PS3 version, they looked very similar:
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11050385&postcount=14

The only real difference is that brightness on the capture hardware must also have been set slightly lower for the PS3 which has caused the background to clip to pure black.

Unless the developer corrects for the output of the consoles, the games will never look the same – the 360 has a less accurate video output which basically results in a darker, more contrasted/saturated image. The PS3's output is ‘correct’ but can look slightly washed out in comparison.
    Onix wrote:
    The main problem is that the PS3's standard output is actually quite accurate, while the 360's is not. The 360 has exaggerated contrast and color saturation. That was done intentionally by MS, as many people like it ... but it is certainly less accurate.

For the most part, you can compensate to get it to be accurate ... or at least close (the gamma curve though is probably difficult to get exact unless you go into a service menu). Regardless, both systems should be calibrated to as close to standard as possible for doing comparison videos.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Ok, I'm going to bed.

I caught that too.

Veritech ho!

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Ok, I'm going to bed.

I caught that too.

Veritech ho!

Woot, time to bring in Lyn Minmay to destroy our enemies with song!

subedii on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    subedii wrote: »
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Cherrn wrote: »
    God, it's sickening that the whole console warz bullshit is even worse now than it was 15 years ago.

Back then the worst thing that happened was SNK calling everyone weenies

Console wars have remained the same since ever, the methods of fighting have simply evolved.

I remember shunning the kid at my school for owning a SNES instead of a MEga Drive like everyone else.

Like seriously, thats some cold shit right there.

Like all arguments, it's just that the internet has made it bigger, louder, and more pointless.

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Makes sense. Why does it require two button presses to turn the console completely off?

It doesn't. It takes 3.

Dpad left cos it defaults to no ohohohoho I'm a smartass I am

I'm assuming PS3 here, but you can just hold your finger against the power on/off bit for about 5 seconds to turn off the PS3.

Also, MK for the Gameboy was the best... Mmmmm, green.

EDIT: MK3 Gameboy goodness:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deEPeYjVyS0&feature=related

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So the real video is up now with the Xbox 360 vs. PS3.

Honestly, aside from some differences in colour balance (which can be adjusted by your TV) they look identical.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Suds wrote: »
    So the real video is up now with the Xbox 360 vs. PS3.

Honestly, aside from some differences in colour balance (which can be adjusted by your TV) they look identical.

The PS3 won a moral victory this day.

subedii on
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    subedii wrote: »

Ok, I'm going to bed.

I caught that too.

Veritech ho!

Woot, time to bring in Lyn Minmay to destroy our enemies with song!

To be in loooooooooooooooooooooooooooove...

How the hell did she get so popular with just two songs in the dub?

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Hmmm...yeah, see, I have a PS3, and didn't know about those Limited and Super-White options either.

But all that aside, even running at optimal settings, I still feel comparison videos are a good idea for those like me who own both systems.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    JastJast Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    GrimReaper wrote: »
    Makes sense. Why does it require two button presses to turn the console completely off?

It doesn't. It takes 3.

I'm assuming PS3 here, but you can just hold your finger against the power on/off bit for about 5 seconds to turn off the PS3.

Hilarious MK video.

I.....uh....

:rotate:

Jast on
    Jast39.png
  • Options
    SnareSnare Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I like Gametrailers generally, but they do do some dumb shit at times. I believe this is probably just a mistake, but it's pretty fucking silly to say the least.

The site is filled with Fanboi activity anyway, this will definitely stir-shit-up. That could have been their motive, but I doubt it.

Snare on
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    *Snippity*...
    andrewfee wrote:
    Full / Limited RGB should look near-enough identical on the PS3. Just like Standard / Expanded should look near-enough identical on the 360. The important thing is to be capturing the correct levels.

Limited / Standard RGB output using the range of 16-235 for brightness (Video levels) with the display/capture hardware turning anything outside that range pure black/white.
    Full / Expanded RGB outputs 0-255. (PC levels)

If you set up your display / capture hardware so that it is expecting either the 16-235 range or the 0-255 range, depending on which type of signal you are sending, the results should be near-enough the same.

The only time there will be a difference is if you set things up wrongly. If you send 0-255 to a device expecting Video Levels then it becomes overly contrasted with shadow detail turning jet black and highlights turning pure white/oversaturated. If you enable Full / Expanded RGB on your display and the image suddenly gets a lot more contrasted, changes are that it is set up wrongly or your display does not support it.

If you send 16-235 to a device expecting PC levels then the image looks washed out.

*Snip*

This is exactly what needs to be explained to the local Sony Style employees. They've got a glorious 52" demo display showcasing the PS3 in-store, with incorrect RGB levels. Contrast was blown right out. I asked "where are the midtones?" Didn't get an answer.

MuttonChops on
    muttonchops.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Jast wrote: »

It doesn't. It takes 3.

Hilarious MK video.

I.....uh....

Lost for words eh? I'm not surprised, you no doubt are in awe of the bestest MK ever. On any platform, way better than those megadrive and snes jokes of games.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008

It doesn't. It takes 3.

Hilarious MK video.

I.....uh....

Lost for words eh? I'm not surprised, you no doubt are in awe of the bestest MK ever. On any platform, way better than those megadrive and snes jokes of games.
    Bah, you poor deluded fool. The greatest MK game is MK3 SPECIAL 56 PEPOLES! for the NES

-SPI- on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008

Are you talking about the 360 or the PS3 here?

EDIT: Because they both require 2 button presses to turn the console off.

360: Push Power button or hold Xbox button on the remote for a few seconds.

One press.
    And SVP chip holla!

Which came in... what? One game? That wasn't as good or pretty as Stunt Race FX? Please.

;-) ;-)

Sheep on
  • Options
    RuinsRuins Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Sleep wrote: »

Are you talking about the 360 or the PS3 here?

EDIT: Because they both require 2 button presses to turn the console off.

360: Push Power button or hold Xbox button on the remote for a few seconds.

One press.
    Then you have to hit up + A to tell it you want to turn the console off and not the controller.

Ruins on
    ach.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    -SPI- wrote: »

It doesn't. It takes 3.

Hilarious MK video.

I.....uh....

Bah, you poor deluded fool. The greatest MK game is MK3 SPECIAL 56 PEPOLES! for the NES

Hah!

Colour! Parallax scrolling! Poor spelling!

Proof if any that is inferior to the great 4 shades of greatness!

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    Oh yeah.

Well, the button on the console itself is still one press.

Sheep on