As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Disgaea 1 or 2?

SparrowSparrow Registered User regular
edited May 2008 in Games and Technology
Due to a friends recommendation I have recently been looking into getting a Disgaea game for the PS2 and have run into a snag.

Gamestop *shudder* is currently selling two variants of the series,
Disgaea: Hour of Darkness
Disgaea 2: Cursed Memories

Now being new to these games I was wondering if any fans out there would mind sharing their opinions with me on the difference between the two.

Besides a new story whats different in gameplay?
Are there any groundbreaking features that on has but the other doesnt?
For someone new to the series which one would you recommend starting off with?

So far my searching seems to bring mix results, and the only solid thing I've walked away with is a neat little sprite for an avatar. :P

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sparrow on

• BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I think in D2 there is some kind of combo attack when you are carrying a stack of people that wasn't in the first game.

D2 also has pirates in the item world - and some kind of dark sun mode or something?
    Also oh yeah! The second one has something else with the dark court - like you need a certain rank or something to pass things and also there is some kind of felony system or something like that where you appear in court to get bonuses for being high level or punching too hard or a variety of things.

It's been a while. I liked the first one more!

If there's anything I learned from both games it's that demons constantly talk about what demons they are.
    "You can't do that!" "Of course I can, I'm a demon, ahahaha!" - 75% of the dialogue

I would say the story of the first one is more epic in scope and the second one is more stupid.

...Maybe houk can come in and actually know what he is talking about.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The first one, a hundred times over the first one.

The second one isn't bad it's just mostly more of the same. If you really want to "get" Disgaea I'd go with the first one.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • SparrowSparrow Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Alright ill go with the first, thanks for the input.

But I need to know one thing, is there any improvements graphics wise in the 2nd one (More detailed sprites, new sprites for old foes, etc.)? Or is everything just ported from the first?

Sparrow on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I think all the art is new - except maybe the characters from the previous game? It's mostly small changes though, like this guy has another belt or a stripe on his face. I wouldn't say there was a big graphical difference, though you could just youtube trailers for both games and judge yourself.

edit: I'd go with the opinion of the guy who has a disgaea av - my memory is clouded.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • syrionsyrion Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The second game is actually much better looking. Higher res sprites and better menus. For pure gameplay I'd recommend it over the original... but the story is more fun in the first.

syrion on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I like the characters in the first a lot better too.

The differences aren't really that great so you might as well go for the first if you haven't every played a Disgaea.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Flonne and Etna are main characters in the first one, that should be reason enough to purchase the first one to start with (Think you can unlock them in the second, but it offends me to have them become bit parts). Also if you have a PSP, you can get Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness, which is the first game with extra content (and multiplayer).

Yoshua on
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Definitely go with the first one. The story is way better and if this is your first dive into the Disgaea games you won't miss the gameplay tweaks from the second one. If you dig the first one and want a new game with improved mechanics and visuals, but not a great story, pick the second one up later.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • LukinLukin Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Get the second one from home, and the first one for your handheld of choice (If Disgaea DS ever comes out...).

Lukin on
    cancer.jpg
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited May 2008
    2 has a shitload more everything, except charm.

Aroduc on
  • VicissitudeVicissitude Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    You really should play both. And La Pucelle. And Phantom Brave. And Makai Kingdom.

Vicissitude on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I played Disgaea 2 without playing Disgaea, and enjoyed it. I really need to play the original at some point, though talk of things like it being a pain to level healers (does the original have those multi-character attacks) make me afraid that the second game might have ruined the first's gameplay for me.

jothki on
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited May 2008
    jothki wrote: »
    I played Disgaea 2 without playing Disgaea, and enjoyed it. I really need to play the original at some point, though talk of things like it being a pain to level healers (does the original have those multi-character attacks) make me afraid that the second game might have ruined the first's gameplay for me.

Yes, it has the combo attacks, though only the 4 person ones are varied. The rest, they just all hit them. Levelling healers is only a pain if don't just have them make a mage. Then it becomes as natural as leveling mages.

Aroduc on
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    theyre pretty similar in the end. depending on what you want, the first one has a way (wayyyyyyyy) better story and the second one has better gameplay and improved gameplay systems in most areas. personally i would say play both of them in order so you get the best of both worlds (and then you will actually notice the improved gameplay in the second one), but thats a pretty serious time investment.

Ah_Pook on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    theyre pretty similar in the end. depending on what you want, the first one has a way (wayyyyyyyy) better story and the second one has better gameplay and improved gameplay systems in most areas. personally i would say play both of them in order so you get the best of both worlds (and then you will actually notice the improved gameplay in the second one), but thats a pretty serious time investment.

Ergo just play the first cause you will enjoy it more and the gameplay wont seem worse.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Story, characters, general "feel" - The 1st one is better.
    The mechanics themselves - The 2nd one is better.

That's often what happens with games: the sequel improves on the mechanics of the first but doesn't have quite its charm. Katamari Damacy is a perfect example, though both games are awesome (same with Disgaea).

Djiem on
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    You really should play both. And La Pucelle. And Phantom Brave. And Makai Kingdom.

I really enjoyed Grim Grimoire as well.

Kelor on
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited May 2008
    Kelor wrote: »

What does that have to do with anything?

Aroduc on
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Aroduc wrote: »
    Kelor wrote: »

What does that have to do with anything?

Its very much in the same vein as the Pucelle/Makai/Disgaea series. Similarly great cut scenes and characters, but you play it in real time. Vic was saying he enjoyed those, so its entirely possible he and other people will enjoy Grim Grimoire if they like SRPG series.

Kelor on
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited May 2008
    LPT, Disgaea, Phantom Brave, Makai Kingdom, and Disgaea 2 are all turn based strategy games made by Nippon Ichi using variations on more or less the same engine.

Grim Grimoire is an RTS made by Vanillaware. There's absolutely nothing SRPG about it.

You might as well recommend Starcraft while you're at it.

Aroduc on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yeah, Starcraft is pretty cool.

DarkPrimus on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    You should take into account that although the original might have a better story than the sequel, they are both very poor in that respect. Really, you have to get past the bad dialogue and mundane reasons to go to a new area in order to enjoy the NI games.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    You should take into account that although the original might have a better story than the sequel, they are both very poor in that respect. Really, you have to get past the bad dialogue and mundane reasons to go to a new area in order to enjoy the NI games.

Do bear in mind, though, they're only poor in the way that 99% of JRPG stories are poor, and they at least have a better sense of humour than many.

Xagarath on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

Do bear in mind, though, they're only poor in the way that 99% of JRPG stories are poor, and they at least have a better sense of humour than many.
    Most JRPGs have plots tinged with over the top clichéd nonsense, that isn't the issue here. The NI games just tend to have a directionless plod that eventually stops.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Oh the humor..

img10049gy.jpg

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yeah, when you have the main character talking about creating an addictive video game to cause the children of earth to become sleep deprived, it's hard to assume the story is really serious.

And actually the complexity and depth added to the 2nd game is why I'd recommend the 1st one. It's a bit easier to get into and understand how things work.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • SparrowSparrow Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Lord Jezo wrote: »
    Oh the humor..

Its good to see video games take a step in the comedic direction...

o_O

Sparrow on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]