As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Let's Play] Crawl: Ch. 9, Adventures in Probability

• Options
    AceedAceed Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Neaden wrote: »
    Aceed wrote: »
    Is there another rogue-like that has the tileset that Crawl has? I love it.

I played this crazy Swedish one a long time ago that had you surviving in the wilderness...don't know what it's called, but it was fantastically hard.
    It's Finnish and not really a roguelike, though it is awesome. UnReal World

So many babies will be sacrificed in your honor. Was looking for that.

Just got my highest crawl ever, I think it was in the four thousands. Demigod Ice Mage of all things. Between frost bolts, ice bolts, and ice beasts, much long-range rape was had. Also helps I picked up two big flame wands that lasted over 25 charges each.

Nothing spectacular item-wise, but I made it to the ecumenical temple (Demigods can't worship I guess?) and died in the orc mines after clearing it about halfway. Went downstairs into a literal throng of 8-10 orcs including warriors, mages and priests. Felt like a fucking Warcraft raid on my ass.

They surrounded me, so I casted Ice Beast and failed. Luckily, it failed into a huge cloud of freezing ice, engulfing everything around me and my ring of cold protection. When the smoke cleared, the ice beast had raped everything under the frozen clouds and I was left to mop up.

Also, is there a way to sell my shit to the vendor?

Edit: Also, Ice Mage was my first time killing my own ghost. Three times. Yay for random everything!

Aceed on
  • Options
    cjeriscjeris Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Nothing spectacular item-wise, but I made it to the ecumenical temple (Demigods can't worship I guess?) and died in the orc mines after clearing it about halfway. Went downstairs into a literal throng of 8-10 orcs including warriors, mages and priests. Felt like a fucking Warcraft raid on my ass.

That's right -- Demigods can't follow a religion. They used to be considered much worse than the other races for this reason, because their advantages weren't enough to make up for it. I think they've been improved over the past year or so.
    Also, is there a way to sell my shit to the vendor?

No. The only way to get gold is to find it.

cjeris on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Wow, I've occasionally been for a bit of a nethack session in the past but Crawl really had me hooked today nothing else. I'd never be getting anyone past dunfeon level 3 or 4 but uponmy inevitable death I was powerless not to to instantly restart a new random character. I'm loving the graphic interface (sorry ascii purists) and that it retains the hardness of nethack whilst simultaneously feeling so much more accessable.

Best run so far just ending in typical boneheaded fashion. Human Beserker made it all the way to the giddy depths of level 10 and managed to kill himself by repeatedly hitting an oklob plant and getting acid in the face... I didn't know it would do that! I was just hammering away not looking and suddenly I was dead :(

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    syrionsyrion Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Chapter 7: Rudely Stamped
    Fortified with newfangled jewelry and assorted consumable goodies, I hied myself to the orcish mines.

crawl019bj0.png

The mines aren't particularly difficult if nothing crazy spawns; their primary problem is an issue I like to call swarming. The dungeon generation code in this area favors big, open caverns, and the monster generation code favors large crowds. This wouldn't be so bad if these crowds had the decency to consist of normal orcs and orc warriors... but the priests, friends, the priests and their terrible little friends the mages make it an adventure.

I abused the stairs relentlessly.

crawl020hj0.png

Towards the end of my rampage, I was surrounded by heaps of corpses and feeling pretty confident... until the sorcerers showed up. I didn't get a screenshot of these guys because I forget to take screenshots when dangerous things are happening, but I can assure you that sorcerers are bad news.

They summon demons.

Do you know what demons do, folks? Demons cast foul magicks and warp the fabric of reality. I got mutated, my friends, foully and cruelly mutated: my body was rotting, my vision was blurry so that I couldn't read scrolls, and I was slowly forgetting everything I ever knew.

crawl021rf7.png

Yes, it was a bad day indeed.

I owned one (1) potion of cure mutation, but sadly I was still forgetful and nearsighted after its kindly morphogenic magic coursed through my veins. So, with the orcs cleared out, my body rotting around me, and the elves probably a bit too much for me, what could I possibly do?

crawl022qi0.png

That's right! I could go back to the Lair of Beasts! Where apparently swarms of orcs had begun to appear, against all the logic of the world.

crawl023xv3.png

As you can see, being forgetful makes exploration difficult; by the time you've explored one section, you've forgotten the areas you previously explored. It's impossible to rely on auto-explore with this mutation, and that's a real bother.

That wasn't the worst problem, though.

crawl025ln4.png

oh shi--

You need a blunt weapon or a flaming weapon to take Hydras out in close-quarters combat. I was plumb out. What to do? Well, after running like the coward I am.

sat003qq5.png

The answer is the snakes, clearly.

sat004xb4.png

To be honest, it was almost no challenge at all until the final level; I began to get nice kill-messages like the one above. Furthermore, I ran into one of my favorite things.

sat005rt7.png

A bee's nest! With poison resistance, these things are a godsend. They always contain a pile of permanent food: honeycombs and royal jellies.

sat006sm0.png

Unfortunately, in this case they also contain a pile of really annoying bees.

sat007hb9.png

And shops.

Shops?! That's right, folks, the shopkeepers who graduate from the University of the Lair of Beasts make really poor location decisions. What's worse is that these are all weapon shops, meaning that any shopper who works his way through the deadly mass of killer bees also has a lot of local competition to choose from.

No matter, let's continue to kill, maim, and murder.

sat008li1.png

This room was filled with Naga of all variety. Naga aren't that nasty on their own if you have poison resistance, but this included Greater Naga and Naga mages who were able to cast some sort of poison blast that got through my resistance. I nearly died three times, including one spot of bother where I used my last potion of Heal Wounds and was still at less than thirty health. My next hit "opened the naga warrior like a pillowcase," and I managed to flee like a scared schoolgirl in an anime. Except more effectively, I guess, since I managed to not get raped by the terrifying snake beasts.

After that huge fight, the level seems to be pretty empty and I think this is the last anyway. I wonder what this item is? Press x and...

sat009yp0.png

...find a Rune! Frabjous day!

Well, that's one down.

Next Episode: Furious Buzzing

syrion on
  • Options
    Typhus733Typhus733 Yip! Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The sheer existence of Xom makes this game 20 kinds of awesome to me. Demonspawn/Minotaur Chaos Knight of Xom is so much fun

Typhus733 on
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    cjeris wrote: »
    Mahnmut wrote: »
    My Mountain Dwarf Berserker is doing well. He's level 5 with lots of food and darts and stuff. I've been letting his throwing skill go up because ranged damage is way handy, but am keeping his darts skill off. Also his Axes skill -- want that stuff going to Fighting. I hope this is a good idea. I expect him to die the first time he meets a pack of Orcs, though.

You'll be turning your primary school skill on and off the whole game to manage where your XP goes. (That is, Axes for a dwarven axe-fighter, Conjurations for a conjurer, etc.) You do need to build it quite a bit -- it should always be your highest skill -- but if it gets too far above the others, it will eat all your XP and it will become difficult to build anything else. I tend to try to keep Fighting at about 2/3 my primary weapon skill, or Spellcasting about 2/3 my primary magic school skill, for fighters and wizards respectively.

Hm -- crafty. I actually wonder whether I'm turning it off right -- it seems to grow slowly even after I get it grayed out on the m screen. Anyhow, since we've heard so much about Hydras, I was thinking of getting a hard start on picking up Mace skill. Good plan -- or waste of XP?

Syrion: Great chapter! I like how there's a constant struggle for survival even though you're doing really well. P.S. What's a Rune?

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    My first ever roguelike had my dying on level three from an orc wizard. I did manage to take three of his buddies to the grave with me though.

Igpx407 on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Syrion: Great chapter! I like how there's a constant struggle for survival even though you're doing really well. P.S. What's a Rune?
    Yes, Crawl is awesome in that the tension remains pretty steady. There's very little "filler;" you always feel that this fight could be the end.

As for runes, well: you need three of them to get into the Realm of Zot. Doesn't matter where you get them, you just have to get them. There are (theoretically) an infinite number available, but the guaranteed ones are as follows:
    1. The Snake Pits
    2. The Swamp
    3. The Vaults
    4. The Tomb
    5. The Four Branches of Hell (Cocytus, the Iron City of Dis, Gehenna and Tartarus)

In addition, the Swamp sometimes contains a rune; in the Abyss, they show up randomly (the source of the infinite runes); and Pandemonium apparently has a few (I've never been there at all).

After doing a three-rune game, it seems a lot of players do an "all runes" game for extra challenge.

hahahahahah

:(

syrion on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Well, MC Frontalot the Cudgeler is doing pretty well as a MDFi. Level 10, lvl 10 of the dungeon, Has a ring of Yfrataon, Cloak "Quufuika", and a dozen wands(Enslavement + Teleportation can get you out of some tricky situations)

Edit: And I died of starvation, god damnit.

Holy shit, he got 7735 points though

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I found the entrance to the Orcish Mines. I am so not going in there. I just spent like half an hour coping with an unstoppable FLOOD of orcs from near the entrance. I've beat them off and am recuperating, but it was a non-stop extravaganza of Trog's, melee, occasional Berserker Rage, fleeing, and gobbling down food before re-entering the fray. Did I mention there was a lot of fleeing?

edit: This was after I recovered from a really nasty Scroll of Noise that pulled in just about every kind of animal you can think of.

Mahnmut on
  • Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So, my third Mummy Deathkinght died on the first floor from random encounters. What advice do you guys have for me, so that I won't be feasted upon by rats so very quickly?

Edit: Relkurinous the Grave Robber has attained level 2! I feel ruinous powers of death welling up inside me!
    Edit2: I can't drink potions? Crap.

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Hm -- crafty. I actually wonder whether I'm turning it off right -- it seems to grow slowly even after I get it grayed out on the m screen.

That's correct. Turning off a skill makes it exercise much less frequently, but not never. (Way back in the dim mists of prehistory when I started playing Crawl, it reduced the chance of exercise by 75%. I don't know whether that's changed.)
    Anyhow, since we've heard so much about Hydras, I was thinking of getting a hard start on picking up Mace skill. Good plan -- or waste of XP?

Waste of XP. If you find a nice mace, wield it for hydra-bashing, but don't deliberately spend XP building the skill, unless the mace is so nice that you want to switch to Maces & Flails as your primary. Much safer to kill hydras with that wand of fire you've been carting around for emergencies, instead.

Incidentally, Axes and Maces & Flails are related: if you have a lot of Axes skill, building Maces & Flails skill costs fewer XP, and vice versa. Short Blades and Long Blades are similarly related, and once upon a time there was a relation between Staves and Polearms, but I don't know whether that's still true.

Elemental magic skills are anti-related: magic of elements other than your best elemental magic skill costs more XP to learn, especially for the opposed element. (There are also some items that improve magic of one element and simultaneously retard magic of the opposed element.)

cjeris on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Carnarvon wrote: »
    So, my third Mummy Deathkinght died on the first floor from random encounters. What advice do you guys have for me, so that I won't be feasted upon by rats so very quickly?

Honestly? Don't play mummies. If you really want to play a Death Knight, try a Human or a Sludge Elf. Mummies are powerful in knowledgeable hands, but they have a lot of frustrating weaknesses.

cjeris on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    EdgieEdgie TampaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Argh. I was in the process of taking the last level of the snake pits. Things are going okay, I'm at 68/130 hp or so and fighting a huge swarm. My hp was decreasing 8-10 per turn max. Then BAM, down to 4 in one round. I was sitting on escape stairs and couldn't even get up before I died.

Come on, Dungeon Crawl. Really?

Edgie on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Honestly? Don't play mummies. If you really want to play a Death Knight, try a Human or a Sludge Elf. Mummies are powerful in knowledgeable hands, but they have a lot of frustrating weaknesses.

But, Mummy DeathKnights are so cool!

Aside from that, My current problem is that all of my spells are miscasting, with full health and nothing bothering me. How would I find out why they are miscasting?

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    EdgieEdgie TampaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008

Aside from that, My current problem is that all of my spells are miscasting, with full health and nothing bothering me. How would I find out why they are miscasting?

Wearing heavy armor?

Edgie on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Edgie wrote: »

Wearing heavy armor?

Bah. I suppose I should take off my +2 Dwarven Chainmail, then? Also, the Ring of Cold Resist won't do a mummy much good, will it?

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Does anyone know how Shiren the Wanderer compares to Crawl?

Igpx407 on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Igpx407 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how Shiren the Wanderer compares to Crawl?

Sure. It's nowhere near as hard, and there isn't as much depth, but Shiren overall is a polished and enjoyable experience. It's perhaps a bit closer to Nethack in terms of gameplay; a lot of it is focused on interesting item interactions that you will have to figure out.

syrion on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Holy shitting fuck fuck

l - the +10,+4 trident of the Octopus King (weapon)
    A hafted weapon with three points at one end.

Damage 9 Accuracy 2 delay 140%

It poisons the flesh of those it strikes.
    It protects you from poison.
    It amplifies your intrinsic magic resistance.
    This trident was stolen many years ago from the Octopus King's garden by a really unimportant and already dead man. But beware of the Octopus king's wrath!

This ancient artefact cannot be changed by magic or mundane means.

On a Human Paladin.

Aceed on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Goodness gracious that's nifty. Let us know how the wrath of the Octopus King works out for you. o_O

Mahnmut on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Are polearms a decent way to go? I really like the idea of using them, but you find so many swords and maces as opposed to polearms...

Also, the thing I will miss most about MC Frontalot the Cudgeler is his +2, +0 dagger of returning. Fucking jellies eating shit.

Raslin on

• Options
    CmdPromptCmdPrompt Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    For playing a Transmuter:

Should I continue hitting things with my hands or try wielding something? Will my hands get +4 to awesome somehow later, or what?

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    He finally died after clearing the orc mines. Went up a level into a mass of respawns to instant death.

Aceed on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    This is a joke... right? ...right?

Crawl.jpg

Raslin on

• Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    That is your grave. Also where you will learn the joys of being on the bottom during sodomy.

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    That was the meanest game I've yet to played yet

There was that picture. The floating island of orcs with warriors, priests, and hard to get to spear-throwers. The orc party on the same level as that picture. I survived all of that, had to thank my freezing sword and sustenance ring.

I ended up dying next level. I was about to starve, so I kinda bum rushed enemies trying desperately to get food. Man, that game had ups and downs.

Raslin on

• Options
    Trevor GoodchildTrevor Goodchild Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I had a lot of problems keeping fed until I googled for some help and found this page.

Warning food spoilers.

Trevor Goodchild on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Raslin wrote: »
    This is a joke... right? ...right?

Fungus garden

It was that room spawning that killed my most promising run. After raging through the squidgy hordes I thought I'd kill time hacking at the plants. The plant in the middel squirts acid back. I found this out after hammering attack about a billion times and could only watch in horror.

Do most people keep trying out various weapons hoping for the auto ID or or just hold onto 'glowing' and 'runed' etc for when you get an ID scroll and ditch the rest?

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    CmdPrompt wrote: »
    For playing a Transmuter:

Should I continue hitting things with my hands or try wielding something? Will my hands get +4 to awesome somehow later, or what?

Transmuters usually use unarmed combat, because eventually you will get spells like "blade hands" and so on.
    Raslin wrote:
    (slimes)

That big room full of slime and so on? That's called a "jelly nest" or a "jelly pit." Run like the wind. They're even worse in Angband.
    Do most people keep trying out various weapons hoping for the auto ID or or just hold onto 'glowing' and 'runed' etc for when you get an ID scroll and ditch the rest?

I wait until I have some detect curse scrolls. Read that, then pseudo-ID all of the glowing/runed ones that aren't cursed. I never burn an ID on a weapon unless it's an artifact.

syrion on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Type Z? to see a list of your spells and their expected success rates. Heavy armor imposes a large penalty to spellcasting success, the heavier the worse. You need to build your magic skills up quite a bit to compensate. Hybrid spellcasters should generally stick to robes or leather for the beginning of the game; this is one big reason why hybrid spellcasters are difficult to play, because you're expected to fight hand-to-hand more than a pure caster, but you can't take any punishment. Elven armor hinders spellcasting less than other armor of the same type, but it doesn't come in any kind heavier than chain.

cjeris on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm having a pretty oddly succesfull run as a troll bezerker. I say oddly because I have been cursed several times, got level drained, somehow lost my ability to go beserk, accidently renounced my religion somehow (I think it was an amulet I put on) and got cursed a couple times before I reconverted. On the plus side I now have a really good collection of wands and healing potions for when things get rough.

Neaden on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Unarmed Combat is a very powerful skill; its damage goes up quite fast as you gain skill levels. You'll also get some spells later that let you transform to do even more damage. Transmuters should generally stick with unarmed.

cjeris on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Neaden wrote: »
    accidently renounced my religion somehow (I think it was an amulet I put on)

Something might have changed recently, but I don't believe there is any such thing. You can lose your religion by renouncing it with the command (aX) or by getting to a certain negative piety level (by offending your god, or for gods like Trog that demand constant sacrifice, by failing to sacrifice for too long). I don't think there are any amulets whose use offends any god, and I think the only way to offend Trog is by casting spells.

cjeris on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    CmdPromptCmdPrompt Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Unarmed Combat is a very powerful skill; its damage goes up quite fast as you gain skill levels. You'll also get some spells later that let you transform to do even more damage. Transmuters should generally stick with unarmed.
    Transmuters usually use unarmed combat, because eventually you will get spells like "blade hands" and so on.
    Good to know, thanks :^:

Thus far transmuters seem like a fun class.

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Heh, I'm watching your game Syrion. Doing fine. Probably better than I would.

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Rhan9 wrote: »

Yeah, until the room full of orcs showed up.

syrion on
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    syrion wrote: »

Huh... I didn't watch that far. Just until you started throwing potions around quite liberally.

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    syrion wrote: »

Huh... I didn't watch that far. Just until you started throwing potions around quite liberally.

Well, the confusion and water potions are pretty decent for fighting, and I wanted to use up the experience on Transmigrations so that I could do BLADE HANDS consistently.

BLADE HANDS

syrion on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Mountain Dwarf Berserker: Dead on floor 16. I moved in to attack some bees, but the corridor I was angling for suddenly got filled in by a stream of skeletal warriors, with the result that I was being hit from all sides at once. I couldn't do enough damage to break free, and didn't have any more scrolls of teleport. Fail :(

Next: Minotaur Chaos Knight of Xom!

Mahnmut on