As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[OOC] Star Wars: Republic Knights

• Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    alrighty folks, IC thread is up. Feel free to do some short in-character master-apprentice talky-talk if you like

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Rainfall wrote: »
    Well, I could have done a Twilek, and at one point I almost did, but that extra feat is just tooo nice, and I was originally going to be Human anyway.

God, multiclassing gives me a headache, though. Jedi 4/Scoundrel 1? Scoundrel 4/Jedi 1? Jedi 3/Scoundrel 2? No, it's Jedi 2/Scoundrel 3. Took me long enough to make up my mind.

Twi'leks get shafted with wisdom, too (they are the coolest Jedi however)

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    also, basically you don't have to buy stuff guys

the council provides you equipment on a per-mission basis. you can buy stuff if you want but since Jedi tend to move around the galaxy a lot they don't carry many possessions with 'em

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    because I'm sure you're all interested...

Q: When do I refer to a Jedi as 'Master?'

A: The short answer: whenever you want to be respectful to the Jedi in question. The long answer: The term 'master' is applied by different people in different situations to denote different stances of respect. As a padawan learner, for example, you refer to all Jedi higher rank than you as 'master'. This is because they are in fact your superior and you can learn from them.

Jedi are also called 'master' by other Jedi when they are granted approval to take on a pupil. For example, Nikos has taken on two students; he is referred to as Master Nikos by all jedi, even those higher rank than him because he has shown the desire and ability to pass the Order's teachings to the next generation.

'Master' is also a rank within the Jedi Order. It is generally the highest rank one can attain, and is usually granted after the Knight successfully trains a Padawan to Knight status himself; he is then promoted to Master. However, many Jedi decline to take on apprentice. To them, the Master rank is harder to achieve (as teaching a student to Knight is quite an accomplishment). After a certain amount of time and service to the Jedi Order the council will award them the rank of Jedi Master despite their not taking on a student.

And finally, the term 'master' is applied to any member of the Jedi Order by the greater public as a sign of respect. The citizenry don't really know the fine lines of rank within the Jedi, so they play it safe and refer to Padawan and Master alike as 'master Jedi' out of respect (and in some cases, fear).

Note: none of this has anything to do with the Prestige class Jedi Master either. One can be a Jedi Master without having a level in Jedi Master and Vice-versa.

This has been your Star Wars lore Q&A session with GM Arcanis :)

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Join us next time to see the proper way to kill a man with a salad fork.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RyuujinRyuujin Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Join us next time to see the proper way to kill a man with a salad fork.

This I have to see! :P

EDIT: Nice portraits and character sheet summaries.

So is there a specific person or place the lowly apprentices should be going to? Like a quartermaster or someone who schedules flights or something?

Ryuujin on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    well, there's a couple options. You could see if there are any commercial liners that go all the way out to Taris, or you can get a spot on a Republic cruiser on its earliest flight, or yes, you can see a quartermaster about commandeering a small cruiser.

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    basically, just tell me what you think would be best and I'll narrate that and we can get you guys moving along to Taris.

also just so everyone's on the same page, there may be times in the game where we skip ahead a few months, or even a year. I don't want to lose you guys to boredom amidst the drudgery of day-to-day humdrum, 'cause Star Wars is about action

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Sounds reasonable.

Well I don't know what Adi/Rainfall's opinion on the matter is, but I suspect it would probably be best to try to get a spot on a liner or cruiser if we can, and then see the quartermaster about any supplies we may need for our mission. Of course if we can't manage to get a ride on a cruiser or liner, or if there is some need for us to actually have a cruiser of our own, we would then see about requisitioning one from the quartermaster as we look into supplies.

This is all just my opinion on what would probably be considered appropriate, wouldn't want to frivolously request things that we don't need, or look like we are asking for too much. :P

Ryuujin on
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Considering that Taris is a very new addition to the Republic, it would seem sort of ostentatious to arrive in our own personal cruiser, and the Republic is probably going to be sending a few ships out there ASAP now that it's part of the Republic.

So it wouldn't be too hard to hitch a ride.

I assume.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Horseshoe's Dark Horse Comics Canon Corner (mileage may vary):

The small Jedi Academy on Taris was most likely established several years before the planet actually became a member of the Republic in 3,966 BBY (conjectural -- this is based on the group of padawans at the academy being around 16 years old at the time).

The Jedi have become a desired presence by the Taris Constabulary, who are in great need of law enforcement... if anything, they'd like to have more. The presence of Jedi is welcomed by the Governor and other officials as well, especially with crime on the rise and Mandalorian forces drawing ever closer.

The academy has its own hangar, making it quite convenient for any Jedi wishing to travel there... though the Academy's Headmaster, Lucien Draay, tends to be suspicious of Coruscant's recently-formed (relatively speaking) Jedi High Council and prefers to run things at the Taris Academy as he sees fit.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    rainfall assumes correctly

and

thank you horseshoe for your expertise, post stuff like that whenever you see fit

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    250px-Tarisfull.jpg

Taris

Region - Outer Rim Territories
    Sector - Taris sector
    System - Taris system
    Suns - One
    Moons - Rogue moon
    Physical Class - Terrestrial
    Diameter - 12,200 kilometers
    Atmosphere - Oxygen mix, Type I
    Climate - Temperate and controlled
    Primary terrain - Urban Sprawl, Oceans
    Official language - Galactic Basic Standard
    Population - 6 billion

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    What year do they call it in an in-character sense?

I mean it's obviously not counted as "BBY"

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Y'know... I don't think that a calendar for the thousands of years prior to the Ruusan Reformation has been established.

I would think that the calendar would be set from the beginning of the Republic (25000 BBY, which would mean the year at the time of the game would be 21034.

Hm... according to (an unsourced reference on) Wookiepedia, the Galactic Standard Calendar was established in 7308 BBY. If this were the 'first year' instead of the Republic's inception that would make the current year 3342.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    250px-Luciendraayhead.jpg

Master Lucien Draay is a Jedi Master stationed on Taris. Not much is known about him, other than he was born to a wealthy family.

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    . . .

Wow that guy looks familiar. Really familiar. D::!:

Guess I will put up a post in the IC thread, not much in the way of talking though, probably wouldn't be proper.

Ryuujin on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Heh, feel free to converse

you're not going to get yelled at for speaking out of turn or anything

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Horseshoe's Dark Horse Comics Canon Corner #2: Other folks at the Taris Academy.

Zayne Carrick, Padawan
    180px-Zaynepadawan_.jpg
    Zayne is Lucien Draay's padawan. Zayne has a 'special relationship' with the Force. What does that mean? Well, you know how the movies tend to feature particularly gifted guys like Kenobi and Skywalker? Zayne is at the other end of the spectrum: a total klutz. At some point he will probably spill something on you. Nice kid, though.

Raana Tey, Jedi Consular
    335px-Togruta1.jpg
    The joke among the padawans is "rhymes with run away." Raana is a tough broad. Like most Togruta, she has a natural aptitude for force sensitivity and kicking a lot of ass. You gotta play the cards you're dealt after all.

Raana's padawan is named Kamlin. Kamlin is a Falleen... which means she smells good but don't take too strong a whiff.

Feln, Jedi Consular
    250px-KOTORJedi2.jpg
    Feln is a Feeorin... probably none of you guys would ever have even heard of a Feeorin Jedi before. But his skills with the force are plain to all who witness them.

His padawan Oojoh is a Ho'Din... which makes him slightly more wierd looking than his master. I know, before I read the comics I'd never heard of 'em either.

Q'Anilia, Jedi Consular
    250px-Qanilia_head2.jpg
    Q'Anilia wears a blindfold all the time... not because she's got like a thing for that, it's because she's a Miraluka (like Visas Marr). That sounds pretty hot and all, but Lucien already has dibs. I got nothing to back that up, that's just a rumor. Even people at a Jedi Temple like to start rumors. Monks get bored, guys.

Her padawan is Shad Jelavan, handsome young dude who looks like he'll be your classic jedi knight in shining armor someday. He's even blonde. Try not to hate him, unpopular kids... he's a nice guy (which probably makes you hate him more... seriously, there's a reason you're not popular okay).

Xamar, Jedi Consular
    250px-Xamar.jpg
    Xamar is a Khil, which basically means that he looks like a green zoidberg. So he became a jedi why not? Basically this is all I know about him. Oh, and he's good at seeing the future and all. Come to think of it, all of the Jedi Masters at this Academy except Lucien are Consulars for some reason.

Xamar's padawan is Gharn. Gharn is one of the few Nagai candidates for knighthood. Considering that most of them have pointy ears, like to cut people, and look way too much like they were drawn by Neil Gaiman... well, I suppose there's good reason.

T1-LB, aka "Elbee"
    250px-Elbee.jpg

Elbee is a bulk loader droid that works at the Academy. Doesn't talk much, mostly keeps to himself and moves stuff when you tell him. Not all droids can be loveable quirky sidekicks you know.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    thank you 'shoe for that wonderful contribution!

also, Adi and Durandal, make a perception check each please.

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Ok here goes, Perception Check: 1d20+9=17.

Oh, and Elbee looks like a lovable quirky sidekick to me. :P

Ryuujin on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Okay, so Destro is getting his arse kicked because of work, so I was wondering if anyone wanted to take over playing Nikos? he hasn't seen action yet, so if you want to you can rebuild him (though the character posted is perfectly capable)

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    did someone say jedi knight

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Rodian ring-leader, CL 3
    Medium Male Rodian Scoundrel 1/Nonheroic 4
    Force 3
    Init +9
    Languages Basic, Durese, Rodese
    –––––––––––––––––––––––––
    Defenses Ref 16 (flat-footed 14); Fort 13; Will 11
    hp 26; Threshold 13
    Speed 6 squares
    Melee Unarmed +3 (1d4) or
    Ranged Blaster pistol +5 (3d6) or
    Ranged Blaster Pistol +6 (3d6+1) point blank shot
    Base Atk +3; Grp +3
    Abilities Str 10, Dex 14, Con 11, Int 11, Wis 8, Cha 9
    Feats Weapon Proficiency (Pistols, Simple), Point Blank Shot, Skill Focus (Deception), Improved Defenses
    Talents Sneak Attack
    Skills Deception +11, Initiative +9, Persuasion +6, Stealth +9
    Possessions Blaster pistol

Thug, CL 1
    Medium Male Duros Nonheroic 3
    Init +8
    Languages Basic, Durese, Rodese
    Defenses Ref 13 (flat-footed 11); Fort 11; Will 10
    hp 11; Threshold 11
    Speed 6 squares
    Melee Unarmed +2 (1d4) or
    Ranged Blaster pistol +4 (3d6)
    Base Atk +2; Grp +2
    Abilities Str 10, Dex 14, Con 10, Int 13, Wis 9, Cha 10
    Feats Weapon Proficiency (pistols), Toughness, Improved Defenses
    Skills Initiative +8
    Possessions Blaster pistol

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Hmm well, well, well we will have to see what actions are appropriate. I'm a little confused on where we are on the map, what with all the numbers and everything. Are we in the building that was labeled as a Pazaak Den (although it seems to not actually be a pazaak den)? Do we have any idea where the rodians are on the map? How aware of us are they? Would everyone roll initiative and react accordingly, or would we get to act before initiatives would be rolled?

Well just in case here is Initiative 1d20+14=22. That should give me the chance to determine just what Durandal's action would be when he gets to move.

Ryuujin on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    hooo-kay

I thought it was clear enough in the post / map

but basically the thugs are the orange dots labeled t#. the rodian ring-leader is the red dot, tL (for thug leader).

you guys are the dots labeled A and D.

they're trying to find you right now.

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Opposed perceptions (1d20+1=13)

Okay, Adi can establish surprise. Go ahead and roll initiative.

Thugs; Ringleader init (1d20+8=18, 1d20+9=25)

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Surprise Round:

Adi

Initiative Order:

Rodian ringleader
    Durandal
    Thugs
    Adi

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    JacquesCousteauJacquesCousteau Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Are you for serious looking for another player. I'm interested if ya need someone.

JacquesCousteau on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Actually Salt expressed interest in taking over Nikos, so I think the position's been filled

thanks anyway though

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    JacquesCousteauJacquesCousteau Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    You win this time Salt! (curse you!!)

JacquesCousteau on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Well hopefully that is a decent post. Was a bit hard to choose between disabling or frightening a bunch of them, but also possibly getting them more riled up or looking bad to other non-humans; or disabling the leader's weapon (even if he had already gone) and hopefully impressing/scaring the others and convincing them that this is a bad idea.

Ryuujin on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Ahh unfortunately Ryuujin, attacking an attended object means the DC is 10 + holder's reflex defense + object's size modifier (page 151).

10 + 16 (holder's reflex) + 5 size (diminutive, page 145) means the pistol in his hand has a reflex defense of 31. You're about 10 short so please edit accordingly

For further reference please indicate what you're using your actions for on each turn in your spoiler with the accompanying die rolls. For example:
    Move: I move three squares west, one square north
    Standard: I shoot at the target north of me
    Swift: Nothing

And lastly, Ryuujin, you didn't need to use your surge since getting to that square only requires movement... you can just describe it as fluff duder.

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Will keep that in mind for next round. As for the surge I suspected it wasn't necessary, but I was trying to go for the superhumanly fast movement, in the hopes it would dissuade the thugs from continuing the fight. Seeing as that failed, and they have continued to attack us, Durandal will just have to use stronger methods to dissuade them.

Yeah I kind of suspected he would miss the weapon, it seems supremely difficult to actually cut someone’s blaster in half. I was hoping the +10 was just me misreading it. :P

I’ll go and edit the actual resolution as soon as I post this.

Ryuujin on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    hehe

well I mean basically, if a spot is within the normal movement, you can generally describe it however ya want, as long as it's not too overboard

without using the surge, that was still within the realm of jedi acrobatics :)

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    so what kind of time period do i got to rewrite Nikos as not-as-similar-to-my-other-Knight before he comes back into play

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    heh, it's your turn now Durandal

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Doh, completely forgot that I would be going after the ringleader, could have added my actions to the post with the attack of opportunity. Oh well, I'll get a post up.

Ryuujin on