Options

Beyond Good and Evil 2 in preproduction according to Jeuxvideo.fr

CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
edited May 2008 in Games and Technology
http://www.jeuxvideo.fr/beyond-good-evil-preproduction-actu-139816.html
In an interview with our colleagues on JeuxVideo Magazine, Michel Ancel (father of Rayman) said that Beyond Good & Evil 2 is currently in pre-production phase. Regarded as one of the best games of 2003, Beyond Good & Evil has unfortunately not been entitled to the commercial success anticipated. "I work on Beyond Good & Evil 2. But for now, is to step roughing, Ubisoft has not yet given its consent, "said Ancel during the interview. Backstage, he announced that they are 10 to 12 people working on the project.

"We want to be a continuity of the first of a wide variety of stages of the game, a lot of emotions in the gameplay and engaging characters. Cette fois nous abordons l'avenir de la planète, le rapport aux animaux [...] » . This time we enter the planet's future, the report [...] to animals. " It is hoped in any case that the publisher french quickly give the green light. And why not an ad in the UbiDays event?
Source : JeuxVideo Magazine (Numéro 91). Source: JeuxVideo Magazine (Issue 91).
Hopefully it is true and will be greenlit. We could hear something about it at Ubisoft's Gamers Day.

Couscous on

• Options
    tralevtralev Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Amazing news. Hopefully it's true.

tralev on
    Steam: tralev PS3: GeekMcD
  • Options
    Kay2Kay2 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    AMD, etc. etc. Awesome.

Kay2 on
  • Options
    Drunk_caterpillarDrunk_caterpillar Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Beyond Good and Evil was a good game with solid writing and terrific voice work. I'm not sure that we need more of them, but if they can keep the quality up then by all means I'm sure it'll be worth our while to play a sequel/trilogy.

Drunk_caterpillar on
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    juexvideo.fr is hit or miss. For every big exclusive they get, they seem to have 1 or 2 completely bullshit, not true in the least news stories.

Not to most implausible story they've ever run, though.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I wonder if Ancel is funding this with the profits from all the Raving Rabbids games. Or maybe the pre-production has him making a powerpoint where every slide says "If you advertise the game and not try to launch it during the holiday shopping season, people will buy it."

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    This better see the light of day.
    I *NEED* Beyond Good and Evil 2.
    I want to know the rest of the story.
    This game was pure genius and everyone who hasn't played it should be ashamed.

Djiem on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Not to most implausible story they've ever run, though.

Yeah, I seem to recall that we heard this a long time ago. Seems like a given at this point.
    Djiem wrote: »
    This game was pure genius and everyone who hasn't played it should be ashamed.

It's good, really good, but don't kid yourself. It's pretty much a mashup of 1984 and Wind Waker. Not saying it's bad, but I think way too many people kid themselves that it's infinitely more awesome than it is.

Drunk_caterpillar on
  • Options
    Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    If this comes out I will cease to be a sad panda

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I should really try and get past the shitty stealth bit of the original. It had been such good fun up until that point.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    This could be the game to spark my interest in Ubisoft over again.

Also, that article's translation is particularly atrocious. "Rapport aux animaux" means "relationship with the animals", not "report".

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    SimBen wrote: »
    This could be the game to spark my interest in Ubisoft over again.

Also, that article's translation is particularly atrocious. "Rapport aux animaux" means "relationship with the animals", not "report".

Blame Google.

Couscous on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm not sure that we need more of them

You are insane yes we fucking do.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    While I would love to see a BG&E game built for the PS360 (it'd be so pretty). I don't think they'll be able to get the funding needed for that kind of project (assuming Ubi even greenlights it).

I think the more sensible approach would be to do it as a Wii game, and reuse the old engine. Then port it the PSN/XBLA, and add 1080p support.

Hopefully, they'll include the original, since so much time has passed.

Dirty on
  • Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Interesting, this was a good game. Not great, but good.

Greeper on
  • Options
    Dorktron9000Dorktron9000 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    ohgodyesohgodyesohgodyesohgodyesohgodyesohgodyes

Dorktron9000 on
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Gyral wrote: »
    I wonder if Ancel is funding this with the profits from all the Raving Rabbids games. Or maybe the pre-production has him making a powerpoint where every slide says "If you advertise the game and not try to launch it during the holiday shopping season, people will buy it."

This, so hard.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    ShmittyShmitty Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    this is one of those "undiscovered gems" games that suffered a pretty fair amount of backlash on the internet, and it was only damned into it as a result of it's own frothing-at-the-mouth fan base. those folk tend to evangelize the game, essentially painting the picture to those unfamiliar that it actually is the second coming of christ, placed upon a plastic disc. that, of course, leads to nigh-unattainable expectations and, ultimately, disappointment upon the realization that that game does not, in fact, dole out frequent sloppy blow-jobs. its good fun, though, and i'm glad to have played it before getting drowned in all of the post-release hype. if you go into it with fair expectations, or completely blind as i did, it really is a well done game.

that said, this isn't the first time a rumor like this has popped up. i always remain hopeful, though. but with the way the game ended, frankly, i'd be extremely disappointed if the gameplay wasn't radically different to suit where it appeared the story was going.

Shmitty on
  • Options
    StriferStrifer Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I only hope for the best. I hope they will include an updated version of the first one, since the game does have the occasional bug here and there. I've recently went on to replay the game, but sound glitched out every so often and it became unbearable, especially since the game has a wonderful soundtrack.

Strifer on
    MikoSuikaLine.jpg
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Shmitty wrote: »
    and, ultimately, disappointment upon the realization that that game does not, in fact, dole out frequent sloppy blow-jobs.

Damn, your copy must not have come with all the peripherals.

You're missing out big time.

Captain K on
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Captain K wrote: »
    Shmitty wrote: »
    and, ultimately, disappointment upon the realization that that game does not, in fact, dole out frequent sloppy blow-jobs.

Damn, your copy must not have come with all the peripherals.

You're missing out big time.

Yeah What the hell dude, your copy didn't come with one of these

050408bridgetgp5.jpg

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I just picked up a Gametap month trial and am eager to get started on BGE. I assume a controller is the way to go?

anable on
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I think you'd probably enjoy it much less if you played it with KBAM. Go with a controller.

Captain K on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I played it on PC and had a great time, but then again I also played the PoP trilogy and all the previous GTA games on PC, so maybe I'm just a weirdo who can do platforming well with KBAM.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    I should really try and get past the shitty stealth bit of the original. It had been such good fun up until that point.

Yeah, in the old thread for the game this was the biggest complaint, and also where I've stopped on my GC copy. I was diggin' it up until there, and then just said "what the fuck, where did this come from" and stopped playing.

Incidentally I did the same thing with the treasure map quests at the end of Wind Waker.

I like the game and would probably play a sequel. I think releasing it on all 3 systems & PC increased the budget (which is bad for new franchise games in general), and the low budget probably cut the development time down. No bugs that I know of, but you can tell that there's a lot more that could've been in the game than there is. There's a really interesting fleshed out world, and you run through some caves whacking things with a stick?

I'd happily give a new one a chance -- the universe is great and Jade is a good character. If BG&E2 lets them focus the gameplay a bit more and add, I don't know, a cover system, it could be a hit.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    Regicid3Regicid3 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I would love this.

BG&E is so good.

Regicid3 on
  • Options
    schmadsschmads Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yes please. I'm not gonna keep my hopes up, but it'd be splendid to see.

schmads on
    Battle.net/SC2: Kwisatz.868 | Steam/XBL/PSN/Gamecenter: schmads | BattleTag/D3: Schmads#1144 | Hero Academy & * With Friends: FallenKwisatz | 3DS: 4356-0128-9671
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    This is fucking fantastic news. Beyond Good & Evil was incredible, despite what some of you heathens say.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    EggyToast wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

Yeah, in the old thread for the game this was the biggest complaint, and also where I've stopped on my GC copy. I was diggin' it up until there, and then just said "what the fuck, where did this come from" and stopped playing...
    Guilty of this too, though I let my friend show me the rest of the game on her XBox version.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect people to move on from the franchise mentality. BG&E was good in part because it was unique and relatively original. Making more games in this series would just drive it in to the ground.

Mind you, no one is forcing me to buy it, so unless I hear that it's OMG AWESOME then I'll pass.

Drunk_caterpillar on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    But with it ending on such a cliffhanger, it's criminal for fans of the first to never get closure on the characters. I don't think everything needs to be a trilogy, but there is a lot of story left to tell.

Dorktron9000 on
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect people to move on from the franchise mentality. BG&E was good in part because it was unique and relatively original. Making more games in this series would just drive it in to the ground.

Mind you, no one is forcing me to buy it, so unless I hear that it's OMG AWESOME then I'll pass.

BG&E was meant to be a trilogy, though. So it doesn't come out of nowhere.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    SirUltimos wrote: »

BG&E was meant to be a trilogy, though. So it doesn't come out of nowhere.

I'm saying this against my better judgement but...

The Matrix was "meant" to be a trilogy too. Look how that turned out.

Drunk_caterpillar on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Please tell me you aren't generalising here.

Lord of the Rings was 'meant' to be a trilogy too. Back to the future. Star Wars etc etc.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Well, the success of those famed trilogies let to things that shouldn't have been becoming trilogies. Exactly like the Matrix movies. Goddamn, if they just edited the final two into one reasonable movie, we'd have two classics instead of two turds in the punchbowl of the first movie.

Dorktron9000 on
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    BG&E was a good solid game. Not as great as people want it to be. But really very good and perfectly enjoyable. Probably around the same level as say, Blast Corps or 1080. Or MDK.

Mm, old games.

Anyway, the best thing about it has yet to be mentioned. The motherfucking soundtrack is unbelievably good. Seriously.

Racetrack, Propaganda, Home Theme, and Ballad of Hyllis ftfw.

*These mp3s are legal as they were distributed for free, so I'm not breaking any rules :whistle:

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Oh yeah and the architectural art direction was lovely.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    It's pretty much a mashup of 1984 and Wind Waker.

Yeah, and that's what makes it so awesome. Hoping like hell for a sequel.

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    YES.

I've been hoping for a follow up ever since the original ending credits. One of the few games I've picked up in a store with absolutely no knowledge of that I've been satisfied with.

Antithesis on
  • Options
    TigressTigress Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    (Pulls out the computer bag for the Jade costume she made and taps the talky things for all they're worth.)

I really hope this comes to fruition.

Tigress on
    Kat's Play
    On the subject of death and daemons disappearing: arrows sure are effective in Lyra's universe. Seems like if you get shot once, you're dead - no lingering deaths with your daemon huddling pitifully in your arms, just *thunk* *argh* *whoosh*. A battlefield full of the dying would just be so much more depressing when you add in wailing gerbils and dogs.
  • Options
    SkexisSkexis Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Michel Ancel has gone on the record a few times saying he'd like to continue the trilogy as originally planned, but yeah, this was essentially posted like...years ago from Jeuxvideo.fr. Here's hoping, though. I love 3rd person adventure games, and BG&E was one of my favorites of last generation, even more so than Prince of Persia.

Also, seconding the motion to use controller over KBAM for this game. I ended up using Joy2Key so I could use a controller on the PC version. Unfortunately Ubisoft's track record for support on PC has been steadily going downhill, leaving many fans in the lurch.

Skexis on